Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Going outside during the pandemic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newyorkprepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Going outside during the pandemic
    Posted: April 26 2006 at 12:06pm
If the pandemic actually occurs, will it REALLY be harmful to go outside?  I mean, other than the risk of dealing with potentially contaminated people?

We plan to isolate on our 12 acre vacation property, where there are no other people.  Why couldn't I go outside there if I wanted to?

Thanks!

Newyorkprepper
"And in the end....the love you make is equal to the love you take."
Ironstone View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 12:20pm
I think that would be mostly up to you.  I plan on going outside but will decontaminate the area i plan to walk in first.  On a farm you have lots of places for birds to perch and their fecal matter could be tracked about.  It might be wise to plan on inside and outside shoes, using plastic bags to remove shoes outside, changing clothes before entering the house, disinfectant to step in before going into a barn or shed area.  The virus will survive a long time in bird droppings, mud and water.  Before preparing garden food or even taking into the house it might be wise to have a bucket of bleach-water to put it into.  Just a bit will kill the virus and then you can was with clear water.  All up to the individual as to where the danger may lie and what to do about it.
Ironstone
crystal View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crystal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 12:41pm
newyork - I live in Colorado (from New York originally) in a resort/rural area and I agree with Ironstone. Be careful where you step and if you have cats don't let them outside as they can become infected. I will walk my dogs but make sure they are clean when they come in - maybe put some sort of "boots" on them. Welcome to this forum!
peace
JaxMax View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaxMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 12:42pm
You will either go outside or go insane.

Cabin fever sets in after 3 or 4 days.

He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.Proverbs 13:20, The Bible
buzz1 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buzz1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 12:49pm
I think this is a case of overeaction.  I really have a real problem with the idea of staying indoors just because birds in your area MAY be infected.  Evidence indicates that it takes close contact to catch H5N1 from infected birds.  It is much harder to catch that way than catching traditional flu from humans.
JaxMax View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaxMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 12:53pm
I agree with buzz1.

And in John Barry's book "The Great Influenza" there was speculation that even those contracting the flu fared better if their beds were outside in the sunshine some each day.

The book has a picture from the National Archives of a makeshift hospital with small tents and the beds outside.
He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.Proverbs 13:20, The Bible
TomMI View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 12:57pm

Diseases Caused by Pest Birds

Diseases Associated
with Pest Birds

Bacterial
Paratyphoid
Vibriosis
Salmonella
Listeriosis
Pasteurellosis

Fungal
Histoplasmosis
Candidiasis
Sarcosporidiosias
Blastomycosis

Viral
Encephalitis
Meningitis
Newcastle Disease
St. Louis Encephalitis

Protozoal
Toxoplasmosis
Trichomoniasis
American Trypansomiasis

Rickettsial
Rickets

(Does not include diseases spread by parasites which live on pest birds).

The general public's affection toward birds translates into a serious underestimation of the

A nasty pigeon nest, consisting mainly of droppings and twigs, plays host to many parasites and diseases that can easily be passed to humans.

health risks associated with pest birds. People who would never tolerate a colony of rats living in their attic will turn a blind eye towards pigeons entrenched in the rafters of their roof. Yet, in terms of disease and damage, the two pests are quite similar. In order to better understand how nuisance birds (or rats for that matter) spread disease we need to understand the basics of disease and transmission.

What is a Disease?
When normal body functions become disrupted due to a foreign invader or an internal malfunction, we call the disruption a disease. Diseases caused by foreign invaders are called infectious diseases. The invading agents that account for the majority of infectious diseases are grouped in the following five categories; viruses, bacteria, mycotic (fungal), protozoal and rickettsial. From a layman's standpoint, the classification and definitions of disease are less important than how these diseases spread and how can we protect ourselves from them. Diseases need to be transported from place to place in order to spread. Birds are a perfect mechanism for spreading disease because they travel great distances, harbor over forty types of parasites and can host internally over sixty types of infectious diseases.

Fortunately, human interaction with most bird species is minimal, thus drastically reducing any health threat from most birds. However a few bird species have successfully adapted to our urban environment. The pigeon, starling and house sparrow have learned to thrive living in our buildings and eating our food. Their adaptation to our communities has brought them into close proximity to humans. These three non-native birds have become a major nuisance in our cities and they pose a serious health risk.

How Pest Birds Harbor and Spread Disease
The five types of infectious agents listed above can be associated with birds in the following ways: the disease lives in the bird and is passed on when the bird defecates; the disease lives in the birds surrounding environment and is spread by the birds lifestyle; the disease lives inside a parasite that the bird harbors. From understanding how the bird harbors diseases we can demonstrate the four ways the diseases are passed by the bird to humans.

Food & Water Contaminated with Feces
The most obvious example is when the diseased bird directly defecates into a human food or water source. In the summer of 93, New York faced a health crisis when several hundred people came down with a mysterious ailment. The illness was traced to sea gull droppings in an old city reservoir. Health inspectors are quick to shut down a food processing plant if nuisance birds are found inside. Besides direct contamination, airborne spores from drying feces in air ducts and vents can settle on exposed food and transfer disease. Several thousand cases of food poisoning (Salmonella) every year are attributed to this disease transmission route.

Inhalation of fecal dust
As bird feces and/or the contaminated soil it rests on, dries or is disturbed, microscopic pieces break off and become airborne. These airborne particles can contain dormant fungi and/or bacteria. When breathed into the lungs, the warm, moist environment of the lung lining provides a breeding ground for the infectious agents. Common symptoms of this type of infection are flu like in nature: coughing, elevated temperature, restricted breathing and general body fatigue, and last roughly two to four days. The vast majority of the time, the bodies defenses will contain the invaders even before minor symptoms appear but in a small percentage of cases, major infection causing long term disability and even death occurs. It is worth noting that there is no known medical cure for internal fungal infections. After the Northridge earthquake, several thousand people came down with flu like respiratory symptoms. The ailment was called Valley Fever and was caused by people breathing in dust and airborne debris filled with histoplasmosis spores and related fungal agents stirred up by the earthquake.

Direct contact with feces
Infection occurs when a worker or resident gets fecal dust or droppings in an open wound or cut. This commonly occurs when handling old rusty, sharp porcupine wire ledge products which are covered with bird feces. The wound site becomes red, puffy and puss-filled. Antibiotics are often needed to cure the infection. In some rare cases, infection of the blood (Septis) or internal infection can also occur causing serious illness or death. Proper attire and care must always be used when cleaning a bird site or installing bird control products. If a cut or injury occurs, thoroughly wash and disinfect the wound and cover with a sterile bandage to minimize risk of infection.

Associated Parasites
Pest birds harbor ticks, fleas, mites and other ectoparasites. Parasites transfer disease in the following manner. The parasite bites an infected animal and sucks in blood containing the germ. When the bug bites its next victim it passes along the germ to the new victim. This occurs because parasites inject some of their saliva into the host when feeding. Over forty types of parasites live either on the birds, in their nests or in the places they roost. They are responsible for the transmission of several hundred viral and bacterial agents. These diseases include plague, encephalitis, pox and meningitis. Control of these parasites is a crucial phase of the bird control project. Paradoxically, this threat can be aggravated when bird control products are installed. Unless the parasites are exterminated when the birds are excluded from a site, the mites, fleas, ticks etc. will seek a new host, often the human inhabitants. Therefore, a proper bird control project will always include parasite extermination.

How to Handle Pest Birds Problems From A Health Perspective
Using our understanding of how nuisance birds play a role in disease transmission, we can develop a few guidelines when dealing with bird infestations.

First and foremost, bird infestations are to be taken seriously but not irrationally. When evaluating a health risk potential look for the following: droppings or nesting materials inside air vents, birds around food or beverage production facilities, or large amounts of droppings in enclosed areas. These are the types of situations where disease can be spread. Remember, pigeons walking around your park bench is not cause for panic, while twenty birds living in the roof-top air ducts of a restaurant is a serious health concern requiring action.

Second, pest control professionals and do-it yourselfers must take the proper precautions when tackling bird control projects. Respirators, goggles and protective clothing must be used when cleaning up bird sites, particularly enclosed areas out of the sun with large amounts of droppings and nesting material (please see our separate information sheet on protective safety equipment).

< = height=191 width=200 ="http://web.birdbarrier.com/BirdBarrier/s/park_bench_cartoon.jpg" border=0 name=Field>

Finally, it is not enough to remove the birds, it is crucial to exterminate all the ectoparasites and thoroughly disinfect the site. Please refer to our page on bird waste cleanup for more information.

A sensible man watches for problems ahead and prepares to meet them. The simpleton never looks and suffers the consequences.
TomMI View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 1:10pm
By the way, I have no connection to the cleaning products company listed on this post.
A sensible man watches for problems ahead and prepares to meet them. The simpleton never looks and suffers the consequences.
TomMI View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 1:17pm
oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 1:25pm
I don't plan to stay cooped up in the house, but we wouldn't be socializing. Guess I'm taking a middle road approach and plan to still work in the yard and tend the garden.

When it happens, we will no doubt be feeding our dear friends next door unless they decide to prep before then so we'll be going back and forth to each others homes.

Hubby has already told me that he will continue to work (with mask) for as long as he's needed. He works during the night and has minimal contact with others though.

I like the idea of keeping a mild bleach solution near the door and using it for disinfecting.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 2:00pm

"As bird feces and/or the contaminated soil it rests on, dries or is disturbed, microscopic pieces break off and become airborne. These airborne particles can contain dormant fungi and/or bacteria. When breathed into the lungs, the warm, moist environment of the lung lining provides a breeding ground for the infectious agents."

Where birds fly they poop. If it's on car windshields and the back deck, it's also on the sidewalks and the grass where it gets on our shoes and pants legs.

Dried airborne particles are also on our clothes, skin, hair, and the dog's hair.

I haven’t seen anything that convinces me it’s save to go outside even in an isolated area. We live in a fairly isolated area too and would love to be able to be outside, but I don’t think it’s safe.

Convince me it's safe! I want to go out too! LOL

(Once someone has avian flu, I do think fresh air makes sense.)

NawtyBits View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NawtyBits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 3:21pm
Ok folks, riddle me this:

Once BF goes H2H, then it's H we have to worry about and only the fluids of B's.  It stands to reason, that once the virus mutates to H2H, that particular version won't infect birds...at least for a while....right??

Infected birds are a fluid/droppings issue, but that is the B2B version, and with good safety practices (don't lick bird poop, or don't rub swan mucus on your body) you should be ok to be outside.

Am I mistaken in thinking that once it crosses over, probably won't cross back to birds, at least for a while?

nawty
NawtyBits View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NawtyBits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 3:23pm
I mean, its the Human-to-Human version that will cause the pandemic, that is humans infecting other people, not birds any more than now.

nawty
oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 3:39pm
That's what I've been thinking too NawtyBits. I might still want to disinfect my veggies - bird doodoo and all, but as long as I stay away from potential human carriers, I should be able to enjoy the outdoors.

I work from home and sometimes my work load keeps me from doing things outside for weeks at a time. It's torture.

We need sunshine and fresh air. I don't believe any place will provide 100% protection or that I'd want the sort of life 100% protection would require.

Of course, I'm already getting old so I may not be as worried about the inevitable as some are.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 3:40pm
Shame, I've been using it as body lotion.  Beth

Originally posted by NawtyBits NawtyBits wrote:

Ok folks, riddle me this:

Once BF goes H2H, then it's H we have to worry about and only the fluids of B's.  It stands to reason, that once the virus mutates to H2H, that particular version won't infect birds...at least for a while....right??

Infected birds are a fluid/droppings issue, but that is the B2B version, and with good safety practices (don't lick bird poop, or don't rub swan mucus on your body) you should be ok to be outside.

Am I mistaken in thinking that once it crosses over, probably won't cross back to birds, at least for a while?

nawty
Ironstone View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 3:57pm
Even if it goes H2H you still want to be careful outside.  The start of the HK outbreak was from bird droppings on a childs shoe.  I have a couple of small trees and the birds nest in them with spots on the patio below of their droppings.  You may of course roll around in anything you wish but it many not be wise to discount bird droppings as a factor.  It can mutate in more than one spot.  JMO
Ironstone
oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 4:02pm
Beth - I'll probably reget this but your post cracked me up.

So ... do you scent it first or just use it as is?

I actually have a couple closet shelves full of essential oils and soapmaking supplies to get rid of so I can store more preps. So I imagined you choosing a scent for your swan mucous. Sorry.   
NawtyBits View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NawtyBits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 5:34pm
LOL  LOL  Dead
BelleStarr View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BelleStarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 9:26am
We will have to go outside for the horses, but we intend to be very careful and social distance.
Serenity now!
Legacy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2006 at 11:04am
OK...that being said, haven't I read numerous times in this forum that the sun's rays will kill this virus after approx. 48 hours? So...we're referring only to fresh bird doody, yes? Maybe we need to look at it like this...when it becomes clear that the chances of being hit by a meteor, or winning the lottery, etc. are greater than contracting BF from walking the dog, it's time to let up a little and get some fresh air. I know that I, for one, will definitely be riding my bike, at least.
I do everything my Rice Crispies tell me to....
Scott View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2006 at 1:06pm
Bird droppings maintain the life of the virus for up to 45 days.

scott
As the Dark Horse Approaches.
Improvise Adapt and Overcome!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2006 at 1:32pm
Well, that being said ... if this is a spring-time/summer-time virus when it hits ... what about the grass?  Grass will grow and need to be cut or we're looking at another set of troubles!  ... what about the dried bird droppings that would fly in the air?  Didn't I read somewhere on here that they could carry the virus? Or am I starting to look at this too much? Easy to do w/ all the scenarios being discussed! Confused-k
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2006 at 2:26pm
It will not be a problem until infected birds arrive in your country. After that the garden has to be treated as a contaminated area.  Lawn mowers would be a very effective way of distributing the infected bird droppings as an aerosol.

I think the first danger is children playing on the grass. They play with their toys, crawl, rub their eyes, pick their noses and put their fingers in their mouths, so one really needs a decontaminated covered area for them to play in,  that is sprayed regularly with, for example a 5% dilution of bleach. I am not sure what that will do for grass !.

One of the avian flu outbreaks was caused by bird droppings being transported on the bottom of a shoe. If you have been mowing a lawn then more than the shoes would be contaminated if infected droppings existed.  So we have to start a decontamination point near the entrance to the main house.  It is easier to decontaminate rubber boots thatn leather shoes.  All suspect clothes should be decontaminated and removed at your decontamination point. Discarded clothes can either be put into a marked container for disposal or soaked in a 5% bleach solution (or alternative such as Virkon-S by DuPont). Everyone ends up wearing white !.

People do not mention goggles too often, but they should be airtight, which tends to rule out ventilated DIY goggles which probably do not fit very well either. A good off the shelf solution is a pair of standard swimming goggles which are air tight and chlorine proof.  Decontamination of the mask depends upon what type you are using. Disposable ones are mean to be used once.  The problem being how to decontaminate the mask without affecting it's efficiency or cross contamination.  There was recently a good article on this forum on decontamination proceedures.
            Normally in the B2B stage decontamination of shoes would probably be enough, but remember that if the shoes were contaminated then so will you hands be after removing them.  So you need to decontaminate the hands before entering the home and once inside go straight to the bathroom and spend at least 30 seconds washing them with soap and water.  I also intend to spray paths around the house with 5% bleach, but one has to remember that in sunshine the bleach stops being a disinfectant within 30 minutes as the chlorine gas is lost.  Therefore it makes sense to spray 30 minutes before you want to use a path or area.  If you want to consider the problems of cross contamination  try thinking about how you would take off a pair of contaminated gloves .... without contaminating yourself. 

In the H2H situation you additionally have to work out how  infected humans or objects (like the mail)  will bypass your defences. 

Just to cheer you up, in UK we have a special little problem.  We get our milk delivered to the door in glass milk bottles with foil caps.  Long ago the birds worked out that if they pecked a hole in the foil cap they could drink the cream from the top of the bottle !.  Now imagine an infected bird dribbling in the milk ....  just another example of how careful one needs to be. 

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2006 at 2:26pm
Lets start a competition for who can suggest the best perfume for "Swan Mucous Body Lotion".  Beth
Originally posted by oknut oknut wrote:

Beth - I'll probably reget this but your post cracked me up.

So ... do you scent it first or just use it as is?

I actually have a couple closet shelves full of essential oils and soapmaking supplies to get rid of so I can store more preps. So I imagined you choosing a scent for your swan mucous. Sorry.   
Rocky View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2006 at 2:50pm
Great material here, but I think I am still searching frantically for a reason to validate the safety of going outside. Here is my question, obviously I need some accurate, technical info to answer it. A reminder, I live isolated and would only be with family members. No outsiders.

The pooping, coughing, feathering, fluttering, sneezing etc of a sick or about to be sick bird could contain BIRD virus, right. And this infectious material can be transferred fromj bird to bird.

And this stuff could stay infectious up to 45 days, resting in dirt, grass, etc.- BUT

Is this particular bird to bird virus harmful to humans (ie scuffed up in dust and inhaled). This virus we are talking about has not gone from bird to human to ME, but from bird to bird to ME. My breathing in some dust mixed with this virus-how serious is that since I am NOT a bird?

I would still err on the side of caution by putting my outside only shoes on and off with gloved hands, perhaps wearing only outside clothes which are taken off outside and popped into bleach water before washing, disinfecting feet of dogs who went for a leash walk with me and who remain kenneled outside) etc.

Please, your thoughts. Rocky
Prepare for the Unexpected!
Rocky
http://www.homeemergencyusa.com
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2006 at 2:55pm
Thumbs UpThat's what I was thinking, also.  But, we are in a residentail area w/woods behind us and neighbors immediatley on either side. (I can throw a stone at their house & I don't throw well at all!)  As far as the pup goes ... he's a house dog through and through ... an Australian Shepherd ... goes NOWHERE without me in his sight.  We would have him potty in a restricted area and have plastic bag booties to remove after his leash walk (if he gets one).  Reminder to self: Purchase one lg. container to used for disinfecting of outside clothes. ... there goes more of that precious water we have stored!!! Any suggestions regarding that???-k
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2006 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by Fruitcake Fruitcake wrote:

People do not mention goggles too often, but they should be airtight, which tends to rule out ventilated DIY goggles which probably do not fit very well either. A good off the shelf solution is a pair of standard swimming goggles which are air tight and chlorine proof.  Decontamination of the mask depends upon what type you are using.

USGI goggles here: http://www.tedsmilitarysurplus.com/opticselec/sgsunwinddust.html
Survival does have an 'I'!

Dodging 'canes on Florida's central Gulf Coast
redcloud View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redcloud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2006 at 5:01pm
It is difficult for glasses wearers to find an airtight goggle. Sort of a contradiction in terms really.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2006 at 5:52pm
redcloud in the UK you can get prescription swimming goggles. Maybe you can get them where you are. 

About going outside. It will not only be birds and humans infected. It will be other mammals aswell.

In 1918 some people were convinced that they were getting the flu from dogs. Lots of dogs were abandoned.

If food is scarce animals will be fed last. Remember cats, dogs and other mammals have caught the virus already. They may become vectors.

Animals will be scavaging infected dead carcasses, further spreading the disease. Their poop will be everywhere also.

We have all seen the biohazard gear vets and culling workers are wearing in contaminated areas at the moment to protect themselves from infection.

If I have to go out in a dire emergency  in a pandemic it will be with goggles, mask, disposable overalls with hood, vynyl gloves, boots with disposable covers and then decontaminate outside the house when I return.  Throw old clothes away. Spray myself with bleach solution enter house and shower if possible or good wash if water was scarce. Other than that I think that you could unwittingly bring the virus inside with you.

I have thought about the washing of clothes in bleach solution but then you have to go outside again to wash them and bring them in to dry. Or you have to wash them at the time before you decontaminate. It all takes some thinking through and thought it easier with old clothes with disposable overalls and throw all away leave rubber boots outside covered.

Going out would be a military precision operation with a lot of forethought.

I read an account by Canada Sue about a pandemic and the above is what she said she would do if she had to go out in a potential pandemic. I thought it made sense and bought all the biogear for myself and my young child.

Some may think it over the top but we have to do what we as individuals think best for our families. If I go down with flu who will look after my little one?

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2006 at 6:53pm
Disposable Overalls????
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2006 at 7:06pm
Yes to cover the body and hair to limit contamination a little. May help who knows?

We could be walking around dead rotting carcases or dead bodies by then. Doesn't sound nice but it may happen if things get really out of control and they can't get the bodies into mass graves in time!

I live in a small village.

Services are limited here now. We only have 2 buses run through a day.  

I don't thnk we can even imagine a worse case scenario!

In the above conditions I certainly won't be mowing the grass.

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best! 

That's my motto.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2006 at 7:30pm
xx    
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2006 at 7:41pm
Yes, disposable overalls here too. Two huge boxes of them - there are five of us.

We don't intend to go out unless it's an emergency. We're fairly rural, but you can still pick it up from birds even once it's mutated to become h2h.

I also want the coveralls in case one of us comes down with the virus. We'll use all of the gear that fluprepper mentions each time we go into the sickroom.

That will be goggles, mask, disposable overalls with hood, double vynyl gloves, boots with disposable covers. Actually our overalls have booties attached (ugly as can be)  A surgical mask for the patient if possible.

I intend to survive it if I can - I have children to raise.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2006 at 7:51pm
Yes I think shower caps will make a comeback.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2006 at 7:52pm
disposable overalls - this company has the best price that I could find - if you order a case...

http://www.protective-clothing.net/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=125&idproduct=532

http://www.protective-clothing.net/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=125&idproduct=410
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2006 at 8:01pm
People are picking up avian flu from birds now - a few just from walking past infected birds in open markets.
tonseck View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonseck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2006 at 8:19pm
Aurora,

Cite that or retract it.
Don't be afraid to be afraid; it keeps you on your toes.
MAJDAD View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAJDAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2006 at 8:42pm
Aurora:  I completely agree with Carpenter on that post.  I have never seen any evidence of what you have said.  We have enough people in here worried to death about this and what none of us need are rumors and or really bad info.
Major Dad hopes you are all alive and well and looking out for each other
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2006 at 8:57pm
Hang on I'll find it.  I do think you could ask without being rude.
MAJDAD View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAJDAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2006 at 9:04pm
Sorry Aurora, I did not intend to be rude.  It is just that I have been watching the posts and a lot of our people are very very worried.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2006 at 9:04pm

Hong Kong University microbiology professor Yuen Kwok-yung said it is possible that the latest mainland victim may have contracted the virus through - what he called- casual contact.

Yuen said it is possible for people to catch the virus just by walking through a wet market near seemingly healthy chickens.

MAJDAD View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAJDAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2006 at 9:20pm
OK Got it:

The Casual contact with live chickens imported from Main Land China.  The professor did not cite a specific case of such infection.

Also the Government was using that statement to hold on to a ban on import of live chickens from the Mainland  against an increasing demand from business that wanted such increase to help with their sales.

Good cite on the data.  Will take it with a grain of salt considering the source and the reason for the statement.

Good Catch Aurora and FluPrepper. 
Gravitation View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gravitation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2006 at 9:51pm
It's H2H we have to guard against isn't it? I'm staying indoors for the duration unless I get called up to do something and prison is the other option! Dont think I could take prison.
Inscriptions and Birddroppings are the only two things in Egypt that give any indication of life - Flaubert
Proudest Monkey View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Proudest Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2006 at 9:53pm

That would drive me crazy to stay indoors all the time. There is no way that I could do such a thing. If the bird flu goes human to human, I would think that people would be most infectious, hence the term "human to human". That is what I remember Dr. Michael T. Osterholm saying on the Oprah show. I do not remember the exact words that he used.
Brad View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2006 at 10:25pm
Well this is kind of refreshing!  I'm used to being kidded about my paranoid survivalist tendencies, but some of you folks leave me in the dust.  (Hopefully not H5N1 virul-laden dust.)  If BF goes H2H in a big way, I'll quit going to work and the kids won't be going to school, and we certainly won't be going out into groups of people.  Maybe we'll even spray the shoes with a bleach solution after being outside.  But we will be going outside, just to maintain some sanity.  From everything I've read the odds of catching H2H BF from taking a walk down a paved suburban street are close to "zero."  If I'm wrong, you all are more than welcome to help yourselves to my "stuff." 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic