Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

A Personal View.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Personal View.
    Posted: April 28 2006 at 5:58pm
Hi, I am a newbie from Australia with some thought on BF Pandemic preparations etc.

First of all I feel that the possibility of this hitting the fan is about 1% to 5%,  and recently the thought occured to me that I would NEVER get on a plane with those odds.

As I consider myself the 'patriarch' of my family and having the funds to do so, I have decided that I would/will do all the planning and preparation over the past 3 months and following 3 months. If it has not happened in about the next year it probably will not happen at all.   Hope so anyway.

My first decision was that at the very first confirmation of human to human transmission I would act.  My home and the people in it would be quarantined and I would venture to the supermarket, once,  to top up my 'supplies' with whatever I could get my hands on. Two Masks, one on top of the other,  would be worn ANYWHERE human contact is possible.

Very frequent hand-washing with Ethanol antiseptic gel or methylated spirits would be carried out. Shoes would be stepped into a shallow 'bath' of 100% disinfectant.

My supplies are based on:-

MASKS,    of course.

RICE,     and the things that go with it.

PASTA,     and the things that go with it.

MUESLI,   and Muesli-Bars.

PORRIDGE.

BREAD MIX and BISCUITS.

POWDERED MILK,

SUGAR.

COFFEE/TEA.

ETC.

Planning is for 100 days.

First public service to fail is probably electricity, followed by gas, followed by water.

Gas BBQ and plenty of 9Kg bottes are on hand.

Medicines and toiletries are stockpiled.

The garage will be turned into a quarantined sick-room if needed.

My Dr says regular flu vaccine will be useless as will Tamiflu etc. He says plenty of water and asprin is all you can do. He says it will be as bad as they predict if it hits the fan.

Do not rely on ANYBODY to assist you.

I would greatly appreciate readers views on any of the above. Suggestions also very welcome.

Ozjohn.

Scout motto - "Be Prepared"
Ironstone View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2006 at 6:03pm
 Vitamin C or fruits with it in the form of canned assorted or canned juices.  Meds (OTC).  Toilet paper.  Look up "solar ovens".  Vitamins.

Welcome to the board and looking forward to your posts.Big smile
Ironstone
NawtyBits View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NawtyBits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2006 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by ozjohn ozjohn wrote:

My supplies are based on:-

RICE,     and the things that go with it.

PASTA,     and the things that go with it.

MUESLI,   and Muesli-Bars.

PORRIDGE.

BREAD MIX and BISCUITS.

POWDERED MILK,

SUGAR.

COFFEE/TEA.

ETC.

Planning is for 100 days.

If this is your REGULAR diet, then good for you.  If this is not your typical diet I would:

1)  Practice making what you plan to eat.
2)  Eat what you plan to eat to see if you want to live on it for 100 days
3)  Get some comfort foods
4)  Store what you eat, eat what you store.

nawty

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2006 at 6:16pm
Welcome oz,
I did not see water or a filter system. Also w/ the rice and pasta...you will want meat. I have tuna, salmon and chicken in cans. I also have a 25 Sq FT Freezer full of beef, bacon, sasuage, pork and steaks. Approx 250lbs. I have 2 alt. forms of power to keep all frozen, along w/ power to run a frig. and 2+ appliances.  

If I can help, send me a PM.

Bob 
NawtyBits View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NawtyBits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2006 at 6:20pm
If you don't want meat, you need beans to go with the rice to make a complete protein.

Good catch, 911bob.

nawty
ozjohn View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2006 at 6:40pm
NB,

"If you don't want meat, you need beans to go with the rice to make a complete protein."

What sort of beans? Do you mean Baked Beans?

I have been buying a couple of cans of 'M & V' - Meat and Vegetables, every time we go down to the supermarket.  Pasta sauces and 'bolonaise' type stuff too. 
If it hits I will fill the bath and laundry basin, plus we have a 300litre HWS that we can use. 

The Australian Government site says 3 months,  so I hope my 100 days is enough, food rationing will kick in about day 50 if things still look bad.   We will probably have a couple of extra grand-kids to look after.

In addition to the bulk supplies,  the pantry is always full,  as is the freezer, but I am not at all confident of electricity supplies. 

Anything else?

Ozjohn.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2006 at 6:50pm
xx
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2006 at 8:49pm

My Dr says regular flu vaccine will be useless as will Tamiflu etc. He says plenty of water and asprin is all you can do. 

I'm not sure aspirin is a good idea because of the possibility of contracting Reye's Syndrome:

Although the exact cause of this rare syndrome remains unknown, research has shown that the ingestion of aspirin during and after a viral illness, such as chicken pox, flu or other respiratory tract illness, significantly increases the chance of Reye's syndrome. One study found that 90 percent of patients with Reye's syndrome had taken aspirin before or during a viral illness. Most of those affected (96 percent) took medications containing aspirin on or before the third day of illness. Another study found that children with the syndrome were 35 times more likely to have used aspirin than those who did not take any aspirin (Huritz, 1988; Huritz, et.al., 1987). Due to these findings, people (especially children) with viral illnesses are encouraged not to use aspirin or any medications containing aspirin since it could cause Reye's syndrome.

As the article points out though, the sydrome is rare - Incidence: Approximately one per one million individuals is affected.

Ironstone View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ironstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2006 at 9:01pm
OOOOOOOOOOOOh...the word is...do not use asprin with this flu because of the blood problems associated with if.  Internal bleeding and clotting at the same time.  DO NOT USE ASPRIN!!
Ironstone
Scott View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2006 at 9:40pm
Welcome aboard! Do NOT use aspirin!

H2H has occurred in atleast two confirmed instances. A few clusters have also occurred. What to look for is a rapid increase in individuals and increase in clusters rather H2H2H sustained. That will be the time to hunker down and hope that your preps are in order.

Again, welcome! (NY)
As the Dark Horse Approaches.
Improvise Adapt and Overcome!
pugmom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pugmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2006 at 1:10am

Several people are saying that a good indicator will be the size of the clusters (more than the actual increase in the number of clusters.)  So when we see cluster groups go from, say for instance, 5-7 infected people in the group, to say, 15-20 infected people in the group, this is more of an indicator that it is about to go pandemic.   

jpc
NawtyBits View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NawtyBits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2006 at 4:19am

NB,

"If you don't want meat, you need beans to go with the rice to make a complete protein."

What sort of beans? Do you mean Baked Beans?

"Raw beans" such as pinto, black, great northern, etc. 

nawty
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2006 at 7:37am
Ozjohn, welcome aboard. I would encourage you to read the entire thread on pandemic preparations with all it s various sub-categories and then tailor it to your specific circumstances. Your food supply seems to be rather along the lines of bare subsistence level, you need more protein, fruits and vegetables. There have been a lot of great lists posted, please avail yourself of them.
JaxMax View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaxMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2006 at 7:44am
Obey all the laws of Australia, and if it is legal you may, unfortuantely, need firearms.Read bruss01 post for experiences reported after a hurrican in USA.

911 Bob is exactly right you need a water system, well or filtration. This is really more important than food.People in survival situations who ate food without water suffered EXTREME intestinal distress.

As NawtyBits says beans + rice = complete protein

Complete protein is very important otherwise the body will degrade
muscle, no matter how much you eat.

Also,   beans (legumes) + nuts  = complete protein

Peanuts are actually nutritionally legumes, not nuts.Accordingly, if you have peanuts and regular nuts you have a complete protein, with fat,(and yes fat is necessary) that is extremely compact, high in calories and requires no refrigeration. 

Meat is a complete protein by itself.

Raisins are a superb source of quick carbohydrates.Once I was completely exhausted climbing, to the point I could not walk due to fatigue. I ate a pound of raisins and drank 1/2 gallon of water, and was instantly revived.

In your emergency backpack you can store water, nuts, peanuts, and raisins, put them in the trunk of your car, and forget about them up to a year.

Salt- you must have lots of salt, or access to an ocean to evaporate it from seawater.
He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.Proverbs 13:20, The Bible
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2006 at 9:44am
Originally posted by JaxMax JaxMax wrote:

Salt- you must have lots of salt, or access to an ocean to evaporate it from seawater.

I'm curious why you're stressing the need for a lot of salt.

Last year I made a decision to start a healthier eating style and as part of that process, I purchased a nutrition software package and for a couple of months I recorded every single item I ate, along with the nutritional values if the item wasn't in the software's database. The software allowed me on a daily basis to compare the nutritional value of the various nutrients I was eating to the RDA (Recommended Daily Allowance) for those nutrients. It was a real eye-opener as I slowly switched to a healthier diet.

One of the items I started to watch carefully was my sodium intake, as too much salt leads to high blood pressure, fluid retention and swelling.

The RDA for sodium is 2400 milligrams.

I found it a real challenge to reduce my sodium intake to remain within the RDA. I didn't add salt to anything but chose herbs and spices if I needed additional flavoring. I was shocked at the amount of salt in fast foods, in frozen meals and in canned goods such as soups. My tolerance for those foods has really diminished. I literally gag now if I try to eat regular canned soup because all I can taste is the salt.

Even sodium reduced products are loaded with sodium. For example, 1/3 of a pkge (1 serving) Lipton's dry chicken noodle soup mix, sodium reduced (i.e. 30% less salt than their regular version of the soup mix), contains 660 mg. of sodium. That accounts for 28% of the RDA!

I'm finding it tough to find canned foods for storage that aren't loaded with salt.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2006 at 10:02am
xx
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2006 at 11:32am
Welcome Ozjon.  What do you mean abour rationing will kick in around 50 days?  Is that what the Aussie govt have said?  What other plans do they have.  NZ is quite good for plans, US not too bad, UK useless.  Beans we have kidney beans and lentils chick peas and dried peas.  Plus a few others we don't like aas much, for variety.  Green lentils cook faster than red ones (or indeed most beans) which can be useful if you have no electricity and fuel is short.  Beans, being dry are easy to store and also cheap protein.  
 Beth
ozjohn View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2006 at 1:51pm
Beth,

"Welcome Ozjon.  What do you mean abour rationing will kick in around 50 days?"

It will be a personal decision based on food consumption multiplied by the (estimated) number of remaining days in the crisis. If it seems to be extending past my 100 day plan,  then I will reduce rations accordingly.   When my stocks reach the 100 day level,  I will continue to accumulate to 120 days and so on.

Canned meats, vegetables etc are high on my list to add to rice/pasta etc. 

I am planning on NIL electricity available from about day 10.

I will investigate the 'beans' situation.

Ozjohn
ozjohn View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2006 at 2:28pm
I have been mulling over my consultation with my Dr,  and remember now that I asked about "pain killers" to which he said yes.

I was thinking Asprin and he was thinking Paracetamol.

Thank you for pointing out my error.

Ozjohn
NawtyBits View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NawtyBits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2006 at 6:10pm
Salt:

The human body needs a certain amount of salt to function.  Without salt, you will die.  I'm not sure the mechanisms, but I beleive that salt helps the body absorb water, and helps balance the body's water content.  I've heard tell that if you are dehydrated, you need a little salt, too.  Salted peanuts for example, and if you can't TASTE the salt, you may have a severe lack of salt in your body.

As stated above, if you don't live near sea water, you need to store salt.  If TSreallyHTF, all the salt you have may be all th salt there is.  25 pound bags of salt at Sams club are less than $5.    CHeap insurance, and a great barter item someday.  Indefinite shelf life, too.

nawty
JaxMax View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaxMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2006 at 1:36pm
Irene-

Thanks for the post.

I have been out, but Survivor and NawtyBits answered better than I could.

The US Army stressed keeping strenously active recruits properly hydrated. Unfortunately several actually died from too MUCh water, or actually too little salt. They wrote articles about it. This is a danger during strenuous exercise in hot climates. Troops in WWII in tropical climates were actually given salt tablets, along with football players.

Granted, your average  office worker,sedentary American eating only processed food will not have a salt deficiency, but things quickly change in a survival environment.
He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.Proverbs 13:20, The Bible
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2006 at 1:49pm
Lots of studies have shown that Americans and people in most countries would do better with less salt.  But in emergency provisioning, it depends on what kinds of food you stock.  If you stock some canned foods, they will contain too much salt, so other foods you eat don't need any added salt.
Your carbohydrate foods are likely to be low salt.  If you only had dried beans, corn, grains, rice, dried fruits and veggies, you might have a need for added salt.  If you will stock any canned meat or fish, they will have salt.  Dried meat or fish will tend to have salt as a preservative. Salt is no longer recommended for hard manual labor.  There are better sources to replace what is lost in sweat, such as fruit juice and Gatorade.  More balance.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic