Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Sam’s Club Today

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NawtyBits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sam’s Club Today
    Posted: May 03 2006 at 2:55pm
A couple things...

I have really started to take note of what people have in their carts at Sams Club.  I'd like to think I can tell who is prepping, and who is not.  It's not a pretty sight.  Of the 16 carts I saw, not one, 'ceptin' mine, looked anything like prep foods.  I can only shake my head...

Secondly, and more excitingly, my local Sams had a "one time purchase" of Duncan Heinz Choc Chip Cookie Dough that NEVER NEEDS REFRIGERATION!!!  Package said no need to fridge after opening, just store cool and dry.  This is MAJOR news for folks who are worried about storing comfort foods for kids and themselves.  Now, the not so good news...it was dated BWUB Nov 18, 2006.  Still, that's 6 months, and if one rotates, one can have several ready to go if they are really needed...

nawty
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2006 at 8:10pm
Nawty,
Like you I also check out others carts hoping for a prepper.  I was happily surprised last week when I noticed two in our local Walmart. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 8:21am
Thanks for the heads up on the cookies...I'll be looking for them...
Legacy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 1:24pm
Oh God no.....not cookies!....I need a 12 step program to get out of Sams as it is.
I do everything my Rice Crispies tell me to....
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Legacy Legacy wrote:

Oh God no.....not cookies!....I need a 12 step program to get out of Sams as it is.

Hey, what's one more step! Wink
Survival does have an 'I'!

Dodging 'canes on Florida's central Gulf Coast
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 2:18pm
I was in a Walmart today (not my regular one), buying a few preps and ordering a cake for DD's college graduation. Of course, I noticed no one prepping, but when I was chatting with the cashier, she said she had several customers buying several hundred dollars worth of stuff everyday (she was wondering where they were getting all this money from to shop like this). She said she normally would not notice but they have come through her line for several days in a row and it was large amounts of money spent/food so she remembered them. I also noticed a couple of shelves of water were empty. So, someone in Lawton, Oklahoma is prepping.
gilmor View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gilmor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by NawtyBits NawtyBits wrote:

A couple things...

I have really started to take note of what people have in their carts at Sams Club.  I'd like to think I can tell who is prepping, and who is not. 

Duncan Heinz Choc Chip Cookie Dough that NEVER NEEDS REFRIGERATION!!!  
nawty

I have yet to run across a prepper in ALL my trips to Sam's, Costco or Wallymart. . . Would you ask them about it??? I think I would. . . Never know what kind of tip / trick you might learn, just like this site.

32 oz, ONE Serving, Cookie Dough. Open it and like ancient Rome, it too is history.
JaxMax View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaxMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 2:06pm
Last week when I went to Sams they had a display with large packs of bacon that had already been cooked- and did NOT need refrigeration!

That has got to be one of the most unhealthy items ever.
He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.Proverbs 13:20, The Bible
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by JaxMax JaxMax wrote:

Last week when I went to Sams they had a display with large packs of bacon that had already been cooked- and did NOT need refrigeration! That has got to be one of the most unhealthy items ever.

Sure, if you sit down and eat the whole package.

But think how nice it would be to have some bacon bits in your pinto beans.  Some today, some tomorrow... one package per week would spice up an otherwise bland dish, make coping a little easier.
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by JaxMax JaxMax wrote:

and did NOT need refrigeration!

The ones I saw had an October serve by date. I think I'll pick up a few for hurricane season and see if they'll be any good next year.

That has got to be one of the most unhealthy items ever.

PORK FAT RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Survival does have an 'I'!

Dodging 'canes on Florida's central Gulf Coast
Mississipp Mama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 8:10pm
  I was in Sam's Club today and started chatting with a woman to looked to be in her 70's.  I asked her had she started getting ready for hurrican season yet.  Her reply was I'm not so much worried about hurricans, I'm really worried about the bird flu.  She said that her daughter is in the marine's and told her to get ready because it's coming, be prepared to stay in the house and not come out for at least a month.  She said her daughter tells  her  about all the training they are doing for the bird flu.  Her daughter told her to stock up for at least one month of food.  I was surprised that she only suggested one month.
Mississipp Mama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 8:14pm
  I forgot to add I asked the cashier had she noticed anyone stocking up for hurrican season.  She said oh yes they have really started.  She said the younger people tell her they are stocking up for the hurrican season and the older one's say they are stocking up for the bird flu.  She was very deidinte about this.  Some of the younger one's are probably stocking up for the bird flu too.
Fastcard View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fastcard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2006 at 6:35pm
I have not seen  many people prepping. I did see one fortyish red head with her shopping cart filled to the brim with Gatoraid and water. I scrambled for something to say, I had a mess of canned goods.
I said "Getting ready for H5N1?"
She told me," That you can't   be too careful and it is best to be prepared."
The checker said" that he had sure been selling alot of canned goods and water.
the lady and I just looked at each other.

As and aside about bacon bits (Smart and Final has cooked canned bacon bits)
In an extended emergency  we are not going to Weight Watchers. A little extra weight would do us all good. A wife who has a few extra pounds may be the one who  is still around after all this is over. One of our biggest problems will be depression , comfort foods, candy for kids and women, meats for men, will help us deal with an extended emergency. In fact I have thought about vacuum packing See's candy for my wife, if it did nothing else it would raise her spirits and I might get lucky!

A Bible verse that is just perfect...... for the situation.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2006 at 1:06am
OMG. SEE's Candy!!!!!!! It doesn't even make it home!!
Fastcard View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fastcard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2006 at 4:15am
Well that is part of the problem with See's candy I would have to store it in secret!

A Bible verse that is just perfect...... for the situation.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2006 at 8:09pm
On a similar note........

Costco today:

A L L    the canned roast beef was gone.......first time I've ever seen anything completely gone at Costco.

Interesting indeedie......will check again later in the week.

HoosierMom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoosierMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 8:40am
Is there a fee/membership to shop at Costco, I havnt joined at Sams yet I figure the 50$ to join could be spent on preps at GordonsFS.  But there is a Costco about 30miles away.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 8:51am
Yes, there is a membership fee at Costco........$45.00 for an individual, however we have 2 cards so either of us can go.

The one here as exceptionally fresh meat and fish......better quality and less expensive than Safeway, QFC, or Albertsons.

Their rice, bean, and staples prices were much better than even Cash and Carry which always beats the supermarket chains.  Some of the package sizes are quite large so you have to deal with that sometimes.

Not familiar with GordonsFS so am unable to compare.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 8:00pm
I bought a 25 pound bag of white rice at Sam's for a little over $5.00.  That is cheap filler food.  It is also food you could give to a neighbor or friend.  I would use it as an addition to something else I fix.  It isn't that great nutritionally, but would keep you from starving.  They also had brown rice, if you're interested in greater nutrition.

I also get toilet paper every time I go because you would never have room for all that TP at the last minute.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2006 at 8:48pm
Went to Sam's earlier. Bought another six-pack of Ozarka spring water (6 1-gallon jugs) at $5.45. They had a 1-time type deal for some sort of instant pasta dish. Each box has 4 8-serving packets at $1.80 per box...Saw the bacon too...i've eaten that stuff b4...not the best out there. Picked up some canned chicken breast, more soups, and more coffee.

Tried to see whether anyone else was buying in bulk, but it's not really much of an indicator on the border. Everyone from Mexico comes to the US side to shop
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2006 at 4:41am
Hi Penham,

Well your post brought back memories -- I used to work at Reynolds ACH!  The manager at the midtown Walmart used to turn and walk in the other direction when he saw me shopping since I called him "Crazy Eddie -- His prices are insane!" 

For those not familiar with Lawton OK it's a mid-size town in OK and home to Ft. Sill Army Base.  The Walmart there was a real shocker for me since the prices were significantly higher (at times almost list price) than I was used to spending at Walmart in a major city.  Once Walmart ran most of the competition off in OK, they steadily raised prices.  It was so bad that once a month, I'd make a run to TX (Wichita Falls) to do shopping since they had an Albertsons and a Target - so prices were more competitive.

My hat's off to you Penham. 
Seishin View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2006 at 3:57pm

I went so far as to make a list of stores in my area and what they sell cheaper than others.  Walmart, while having good prices on some items, are far more expensive than local stores than others.  Most can goods in my town are cheaper at HEB (often by .25 per can or more), Kroger is completely out of the question as I refuse to be a member where I have to give my name and address to get better prices.  Brookshire Bros has specials from time to time.  Also don’t discount your local pharmacies.  I get ads in the paper showing non perishables for real good deals.  Just have to watch and plan.

Looking around I see no one in my community (other than my friends) who are preparing for anything...
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2006 at 6:08pm
kr105, Super Walmart (there are two of them now) have run almost every grocery store in Lawton out of business, there is only United, SaveAlot, 3 Country Marts and a Mom & Pop store over in the hood off Lee (with really high prices). So there is not a whole lot to choose from. I buy alot of stuff at Walmart, but get most groceries at Country Mart because they double $1.00 coupons, so it's a big savings, but you have to plan around the sales and buy in bulk when it is on sale. So I get stuff alot cheaper than Walmart. Except Walmart does have bottled water cheaper and I have found some stuff in their camping section and they carry ammo too. So I still make a weekely trip there (and I love their hot bread and chocolate no bake cookies, LOL).
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2006 at 11:46pm

We're getting our third super Wal-Mart down here. Only other grocery stores are HEB and Super S. HEB is a lot more expensive that Wal-Mart, but since it's been around down here the longest, i don't see Wal-Mart chasing them out of town.

I didn't realize that Sam's club memberships were so expensive! I have a Business membership card which costs me $35 per year for two cards. Tax exempt status too...
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2006 at 7:43pm
Pork fat, lard, bacon;
It is good for my arthritis. When I get to hurting real bad and can't hardly go I have pork . The next day  I'm good to go.  I'm in my 60's. I am not overweight, do not have high cholesterol nor high blood pressure. I eat all things in moderation and do not consume beef fat. Beef fat is a hard fat (it will not melt at room temperature) that will clog my arteries and is only good for making candles. Butter has always been better too. Margarine to me is like plastic.You can leave the stuff out and not even bugs will eat it.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 5:50pm
Hi All,

Went to Sams today and they had finally gotten in Campbell's cream of mushroom soup -- 10 pack for $7.28 .  Since my local Walmart is selling it for $1.48 a can that's about 1/2 price. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic