Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Reports from INSIDE the Singapore Conference

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reports from INSIDE the Singapore Conference
    Posted: May 04 2006 at 10:52am
Here are post from a doctor attending the Singapore Conference:

From our Friends at the FluWiki ( www.******.com ) , a look inside the Singapore conference on Bird Flu.

These are reports filed by anon_22 (not her real name Wink ) a doctor, who is also a mod at the wiki, has filed over the past few hours. The wiki openly encourages the sharing of this information, and operates under the GNU license.

For those who do not know her, anon_22 is one of the shining stars out there, a doctor who `get’s it’, and her posts are always worth reading. I've exchanged emails with her, and she is one smart cookie.

Many thanks to Anon_22 for filing these reports, and the wiki for making them available for all of us. Kudos guys!

04 May 2006

anon_22 – at 02:10

I have 1/2 hour to make a few brief posts, so these are raw, unfiltered, titbits and highlights. No links or references just yet.
We have data for use of tamiflu in Turkey. 10 patients were treated with standard dose of 75mg twice daily. Those who died (4) started tamiflu on 8.5d from onset. 6 survived and their mean time from onset to start of tamiflu was 3.6 days.

Tamiflu resistance, large scale study for seasonal flu. adult 0.32%, children 4.1%. Commenting on the 18% resistance in children from one Japan study, apparently that was because initial recommended doses for children were weight based, which gave the younger childre far too low doses. The current recommended doses from the manufacturer are now ‘unit based’.

The other problem with Japan is that they treatment for seasonal flu tends to be geared towards resolution of fever, with the result that too often the drug is stopped too soon, thereby promoting resistance

Reasons for resistance in children:
1. higher viral load
2. underdeveloped immune response
3. prolonged virus shedding

WHO will be releasing recommended doses for H5N1 treatment in the next couple of weeks.

anon_22 – at 02:13
John Oxford related a story of cases of fatal chest infections in army camps in Europe in 1916. At that point there were 100+ deaths from several hundred cases. His point was that if someone at that point were to say let’s prepare for a pandemic that is going to kill 50 million people, they would all say he’s nuts.
I like this story.

anon_22 – at 02:20
Martin Meltzer, health economist from the CDC, gave probably one of the most impactful presentations so far. Rather than just giving you numbers for economic impact, the message came through loud and clear: plan, prepare, practice.

A couple of messages he repeated:

There is no healthcare system anywhere in the world that can cope with even a 1968 type pandemic.

You can have all the numbers you want and plan and prepare and all that, but I guarantee you (his words) when the pandemic occur, what you have done will not be enough.

anon_22 – at 02:22

Yi Guan’s study on the multiple sublineages of H5N1 showed that these all developed from original parents strains arising out of south China. Those subtypes in Vietnam and Indonesia etc are fairly stable once they emerged. Even the ones derived from Qinghai.
But in South China, new subtypes are being formed all the time. That’s where the natural reservoir for H5tN1 is.
anon_22 – at 02:23

Actually I didn’t have 1/2 hour Sad
More later.

anon_22 – at 04:21

From Singapore (populations 4.4 million), impact on healthcare from SARS experience:
For a total of 13 SARS patients, they used 419,480 N95 masks at USD$0.74 each, total of $310,400, and 60,290 dispoAsable gowns at $1.41 each, total of $85,000.

I guess Dem is right. Show me the money

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 11:09am
Rivky, please keep these coming. Thanks
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 12:23pm

Agree with Femvet, keep them coming.....great post.

Commonground View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Commonground Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 1:19pm
Thank You Rivky
JaxMax View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaxMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 1:37pm
Rivky-

This type eyewitness report and analysis is why I monitor this site.Clap
He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.Proverbs 13:20, The Bible
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 6:26pm
Thank you for all the great info.
Fastcard View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fastcard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 7:08pm
Thank you, from what we are seeing here in the news ,your report is some of the only real new we are getting. Thank You so much!

A Bible verse that is just perfect...... for the situation.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 7:43pm
HERE ARE MORE POSTS:

anon_22 – at 22:08

Also, a completely off-the-record discussion with some clinicians of one Asian country that had been treating H5 patients revealed that they have a internal consensus for tamiflu dosage that is 4x the recommended dose. ie 300mg twice daily for adults, taken minimum 10–14 days.

WARNING: This is NOT tested, not officially sanctioned, there are no safety profiles, so please apply all health and professional disclaimers that you (or lawyers!) can possibly think of.

anon_22 – at 22:24

Malik Pereis, quoting De Jong (no reference yet):

The viral load (total amount of virus in patient) in seasonal flu rises sharply after infection, peaks at around 48 hours, then delines steadily.

For H5N1, there is a scattered range of peak viral load which is later than the 48 hour for seasonal flu, to about Day 5. This means that the window for treatment with oseltamivir is wider.

Data from ?Thailand, also discussed by Pereis, gave the median date of start of treatment with tamiflu for survivors as 4.5d and for fatal cases as 9 days.

There is therefore sufficient ground to give tamiflu even if the drug is started after the first 48 hours.

Of course, results are better the sooner you start. The viral load profile also warns against stopping too soon.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 7:47pm
Rivky,
Great job. Thanks
fiddlerdave2 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fiddlerdave2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 7:53pm
N95 masks at $0.74 each??????????  If that's true, I am in the wrong business!
Dave
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 9:45pm
HERE'S ANOTHER ONE:

anon_22 – at 14:39

Hi all, Webster did an extremely important presentation today on ‘Gaps in pandemic preparedness.’

The comments on ‘you will get infected, you’ll get very sick, but you probably won’t die’ had to do with his suggestion to make a whole virus pre-pandemic vaccine, using the A/HK/213/03 strain, recombined with N3. He said that they did a study with ferrets using this vaccine provided complete protection from homologous challenge, including the extremely lethal A/Vietnam/1203/04.

The ‘minimum of 10 mutations to go h2h’ comment: needed at least 3 HA, 2 for PB2, and at least one of each of the others. “The mutations are all out there, but the virus hasn’t brought it together, like ducks in a row.”

Jhetta View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhetta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 11:09pm
We have information in our blogs to help understand this... I will post links to the info tomorrow!

Originally posted by Rivky Rivky wrote:

HERE'S ANOTHER ONE:

Hi all, Webster did an extremely important presentation today on ‘Gaps in pandemic preparedness.’

The comments on ‘you will get infected, you’ll get very sick, but you probably won’t die’ had to do with his suggestion to make a whole virus pre-pandemic vaccine, using the A/HK/213/03 strain, recombined with N3. He said that they did a study with ferrets using this vaccine provided complete protection from homologous challenge, including the extremely lethal A/Vietnam/1203/04.

The ‘minimum of 10 mutations to go h2h’ comment: needed at least 3 HA, 2 for PB2, and at least one of each of the others. “The mutations are all out there, but the virus hasn’t brought it together, like ducks in a row.”

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 4:48am

05 May 2006

anon_22 – at 06:36

Robert Webster’s presentation at the Lancet forum is IMO important enough to be reported here in detail on its own thread.

Title: Identifying the gaps in pandemic preparedness

He gave his opinion on these gaps, how to think about them, and what needs to be done. Stuff in quotation marks are quotes, as far as my notes tell me. The rest are synopsis of what he said. Stuff in italics are my comments/additional thoughts. ? is where I’m not sure if it’s exactly what he said.

Three Major Gaps:

1 Will H5N1 acquire consistent h2h?

There has been family clusters, may be some genetic link there. There are those who say, “It’s been around 10 years, won’t happen” Webster says “I’ve worked with flu all my life, this is the worst virus I’ve ever seen.”

DON’T BE COMPLACENT

In chicken, the virus goes to brain, causes disease, together with systemic collapse. “We have never seen an h5 or h7 doing what it can do in a mammal what it’s been doing in chicken.”

He estimates that the virus needs “miminum 10 mutations” to go h2h, 3 in the HA gene, 2 in ?PB2, probably 1 mutation in almost every gene segment. “All the mutations are out there, but the virus hasn’t got them yet, they are not lined up like ducks in a row yet.”

I wonder what he means exactly by “all the mutations are out there”?

2 “We don’t know anything about transmissibility”

Monotreme, that was my point at your CFR/lethality rate thread

This also echos what Fouchier said, that we know a lot about the nucleotide determinants of virulence, we know next to nothing about the determinants of transmissibility. This may be because these studies are harder to do?

They (Webster) did a Pig to pig study – first pig infected and had a lot of virus in respiratory tree, but second pig did not catch it despite high exposure.

“Give us 5 years, we will understand more”

Pathogenicity: likely to be polygenic, and include host genome interactions.

3 Lack of autopsy report – calling for more autopsies, but these are limited by many factors, cultural, religious, political, as well as insufficieny of resources, eg the need for BSL3+ facilities

anon_22 – at 06:40

The Avian Reseroir How do low path (H5, H7) viruses become high path?

Will the high path h5n1 be perpetuated in the aquatic bird reservoir?

Historically, emerged strains do not go back to reservoir, there is already evidence that it has for h5. This is worrying.

Who or what spread the H5N1 virus? (1) in Asia (2) to Europe?

Initially, poultry industry. In Europe, migratory birds played some role, human major spread

European – at 06:45
I wonder what he means exactly by “all the mutations are out there”?

I would guess they have seen all the “required” mutations in idetified sequences, but not in a single sample. The inference being that the more mixing of various strains there are the higher the chance of developing the “killer” H2H virus.

anon_22 – at 06:46

The Avian Reservoir

Reassortment was rampant during evolution of the Asian h5n1.

What selected the dominant Z genotype?

Did gene segments from H5N1 in domestic avian species contribute to the high transmissibility of the Qinghai H5N1 virus?

Genes from domestic species getting into wildbird species is a new phenomenon and worrying.

anon_22 – at 06:47

European, thanks.

<light-bulb goes up in head>

anon_22 – at 06:49

Gaps in Pandemic Preparedness

Inadequate link between animal and human surveillance as one key issue. Example of Thailand, several hundred volunteers did surveillance of every village, to pinpoint the exact problem, fighting cocks

Lack of co-opoeration between neighboring countries

Lack of strategy for the sotrag and distribution of antiviral agents

Lact of advanced provision in immunization strategies

anon_22 – at 06:51

Agricultural Vaccines

Agri vaccines, if used correctly, do they have potential to control /eradicate? - Webster thinks so

Problem, agricultural vaccines not standardised for HA antigen, not like human ones.

Poor vaccine will drive antigenic drift

Most of selection will be in duck under natural condition of long term shedding

anon_22 – at 06:57

Human H5N1 Vaccines

Why are H5N1 (A/Vietnam/1203/04) vaccines so poorly immunogenic?

H5N1 (A/HK/213/03) is a good antigen.

Why is there no correlation of protection with current H5N1 vaccines?

Studies on recombinant H5N1 vaccines in ferrets:
r.g/ A/Hon Kong/213/03 (H5N1)
Complete protection from homologous challenge
Cross protection from challenge with A/Vietnam/1203/04 (an extremely virulent strain)
#virus shedding reduced

1. weight loss
  2. no virus in brain
  3. no disease signs
anonymous – at 07:01

anon_22, thanks.

With the mutation he seems to mean single amino-acid replacements and each single of them occurred. But I don’t know, how he can know that that strain which he has in mind would cause a pandemic. Didn’t they always say: no one knows which strain can go pandemic ? Is that strain stable, reproducable, virulent ? And when they know the strain, can’t they make a vaccine ?

The reassortment, I hadn’t heard this. Where exactly did it happen ?

anon_22 – at 07:08

Webster – if we modify the HA, might get higher titre

Basis for pre-pandemic vaccine A/HK/213/03 complete protection from homologous challenge in ferrets even for worst strain A/Vietnam/1203/04

“We should be stockpiling this vaccine in hundreds of millions of does. We should be using it if we have a pandemic. If there’s a pandemic, and you were vaccinated with this vaccine, you will probably get sick, but probably not die.”

If we use a whole virus, recomb with N3, single dose , no disease, no shedding, ducks totally protected,

Current vaccine production: Limited capacity, need antigen sparing, etc, but whole virus vaccine will be its own adjuvant

“Whole virus is superb antigen. Historically, we took it apart cos it was toxic to children.” So you take a good antigen, break it apart so its not a good antigen, then fiddle around with adjuvants to make good antigen again? Doesn’t make sense. Now we can use recomination and substitute N3 and make the vaccine safe.

anon_22 – at 07:16

Human Pandemic Vaccines:

Many needs:

1. replace eggs with cell-based vaccine
  2. new strategies - DNA, recombined, live attenuated
  3. new adjuvants
  4. new factories
  5. liability and intellectual property issues (corral the lawyers)
anon_22 – at 07:20

Antivirals

• Neuraminidase inhibitors
  • amantanes - A surprising no of strains 50% sensitive to amantadine, therefore use combination therapy. Should do studies now, on combination therapy.
  • Urgent need to test other drugs eg ribavirin
  • new classes of drugs required
  • OTC – why don’t we make these medicines over-the-counter (ie no prescription)
    “Why is it not in people’s medicine cabinets, with instructions on how to use and how not, and when???”
anon_22 – at 07:21

Pandemic Preparedness Gaps

• between planning and implementation
  • political will
  • severity of infection
  • reproductive number
  • economic impact
  • surveillance
  • not enough planning
  • Africa..!!
Gravitation View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gravitation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 5:26am
'That’s where the natural reservoir for H5tN1 is.' Makes it sound like a swimming pool of the stuff!!!! Always thought Indonesia is the starting line. Trouble may be, no finishing post!!!
Thanks for these posts. I know a little knowledge is dangerous but if it raises the vision then keep it coming.
Inscriptions and Birddroppings are the only two things in Egypt that give any indication of life - Flaubert
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 6:45am
anon_22 – at 07:42

Richard Horton, Editor of Lancet, gave a fine short inspiring speech at the end. I cannot reproduce the whole speech, but portions captured by my notes (with the rest paraphrased from memory), are here, Bold type = my emphasis

This virus has been neglected and misunderstood. We all agree that there is lack of info, rsponse plans have holes.

Post-sars, some policymakers are over confident. They say we’ve got it figured out. Well, they haven’t.

WHO has a role in holding others up to accountability. It is not good enough to say countries have their problems etc.

We have to help the WHO.

Pandemic flu should be #1 in G8 summit agenda (coming up soon).

Private sector has shown extraordinary agility, but that is not enough.

We all seem to agree we do not have effective national plans, regional plans, resources, vaccines, anti-virals, surveillance,

We all know that this is the single biggest challenge humanity has faced, will face, for generations. It’s not enough to agree in this room.

We need to go out of this room and say it outside, loud and clear. None of us are saying this loudly enough.

Need to follow through – non-pharmaceutical interventions, social distancing, closing schools, who will get the vaccines first.

These need to be debated in the media right now.

We may have only 12–18 months at most.

It is not just a challenge, it is an predicament of extra-ordinary proportions

We hope that our worst fears won’t be realised, now we must go home and make sure that they won't.
Jhetta View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhetta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 7:47am
This article at PR Web reports quote: "March 8, 2006 -- Scientists have now verified through gene sequencing that the H5N1 virus has been rapidly mutating and evolving towards a strain that will be deadly for humans. Six months ago scientists estimated that the H5N1 virus needed to make about five changes to it’s gene structure for it to be deadly for humans. Now it requires only one last change."

A scientist in russia started reporting this at least a month or two ago also.  I can not find the report right now... does anyone have a link to this?

Recombinomics has been reporting that the WHO is withholding data on recombination sequences of the H5N1 cluster of viruses. This may explain why the Russian Scientists have different data.

The 8 March PR Web reports the following:

"It appears that it is inevitable that a bird flu pandemic will eventually occur. Some scientists expect that the last genetic change needed for efficient human to human transmission by the H5N1 virus may occur when migrating birds carrying the H5N1 virus begin their return journey in Spring. (Northern hemisphere). This means that there is a possibility that a pandemic could occur within two months."

Influenza A viruses have 10 genes on eight separate RNA molecules (called: PB2, PB1, PA, HA, NP, NA, M, and NS).

HA, NA, and M are the proteins structures that are currently most medically relevant as targets for antiviral drugs and antibodies.

Recombinomics details genetic recombination by segment reassortment in hosts who are infected with two different influenza viruses at the same time. He has so much information on his site... however his data is limited by WHO's refusal to release inportant seqences that show HA mutations.

Background Info to help:

HA hemagglutinin is glycoprotein found on the surface of the influenza viruses and is responsible for binding the virus to the cell that is being infected. Hemagglutinin forms spikes at the surface of flu viruses that function to attach viruses to cells. This attachment is required for efficient transfer of flu virus genes into cells, a process that can be blocked by antibodies that bind to the hemagglutinin proteins. One genetic factor in distinguishing between human flu viruses and avian flu viruses is that "avian influenza HA bind alpha 2-3 sialic acid receptors while human influenza HA bind alpha 2-6 sialic acid receptors. Swine influenza viruses have the ability to bind both types of sialic acid receptors."  A mutation found in Turkey in 2006 substited one sample of an amino acid at position 223 of the haemoagglutinin receptor protein. This protein allows the flu virus to bind to the receptors on the surface of its host's cells. This mutation has been observed at least twice before — in Hong Kong in 2003, and in Vietnam last year. It increases the virus's ability to bind to human receptors, and decreases its affinity for poultry receptors, making strains with this mutation better adapted to infecting humans."

Image:Flu und legende color c.jpg

H5N1 is an Influenza A virus subtype, it might remain an H5N1 subtype or could shift its HA subtypes as did H2N2 when it evolved into the Hong Kong Flu strain of H3N2.

Edited by Jhetta - May 05 2006 at 8:11am
Jhetta View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhetta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 8:01am
Originally posted by Rivky Rivky wrote:

I posted this info in another thread... should help with the two posts above:
Have been looking into information regarding local flu in different regions that could combine with H5N1.  Found N7N7, H7N2, H9N2 & H3N2 to be of interest. See chart at bottom of page.

"Atlanta, GA, Mar. 24 (UPI) -- The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has begun a series of experiments to see how likely the bird flu virus could result in a human pandemic.

The six-month series of experiments seeks to simulate the mixing and matching of genes from the H5N1 avian flu virus that has plagued Asia and a common human flu virus that public-health experts fear could turn avian flu into a pandemic, the Wall Street Journal reported Thursday.

CDC scientists inside an ultra-secure laboratory have started swapping the genes of the H5N1 avian virus with the genes of an H3N2 virus, the strain behind most recent human flu outbreaks.

The goal is to substitute the eight genes of each virus, one by one, with the eight genes from the other virus to see which of more than 250 possible combinations create flu viruses that could spread easily among humans.

The work responds to fears by global public health experts that the bird flu virus could mutate to form one that could spawn a global outbreak of the disease."

Influenza Report 2006 | Avian Influenza

"Transmission to other Mammals

Avian influenza viruses have been transmitted to different mammal species on several occasions. Here, following cycles of replication and adaptation, new epidemic lineages can be founded. Pigs, in particular, have been frequently involved in such 'interclass transversions'. In European pig populations, avian-like H1N1 viruses are highly prevalent (Heinen 2002) and an H1N2 virus, a human-avian reassortant virus, first isolated in the U.K. in 1992, is constantly gaining ground (Brown 1998). In the U.S., a triple reassortant (H3N2) between the classical H1N1, the human H3N2 and avian subtypes is circulating (Olsen 2002). Other subtypes of presumably avian origin (e.g. H1N7, H4N6) have been found mainly anecdotally in swine (Brown 1997, Karasin 2000). A H9N2 virus of avian provenance is moderately prevalent in swine populations in the East of China (Xu 2004). In addition to swine, marine mammals and horses have been shown to acquire influenza A viruses from avian sources (Guo 1992, Ito 1999).

Natural infection with H5N1 was described in tigers and other large cats in a zoo in Thailand after the animals were fed with virus-positive chicken carcasses (Keawcharoen 2004, Quirk 2004, Amosin 2005). Severe disease accompanied by high mortality ensued. Also, cat-to-cat transmission has apparently occurred in the same zoo (Thanawongnuwech 2005). This was the first report of influenza virus infections in Felidae. Household European short hair cats can experimentally be infected with the H5N1 virus (Kuiken 2004).

In 2004, 3,000 serum samples obtained from free roaming pigs in Vietnam were tested serologically for evidence of exposure to the H5N1 influenza virus (Choi 2005). Virus neutralisation assay and Western blot analysis confirmed that only 0.25 % of the samples were seropositive. In experimental infections, it was shown that pigs can be infected with H5N1 viruses isolated in Asia in 2004 from human and avian sources. A mild cough and elevated body temperature were the only symptoms observed for four days post infection. Virus could be isolated from tissues of the upper respiratory tract for at least 6 days. Peak viral titres from nasal swabs were found on day 2 post infection, but none of the experimentally infected animals transmitted the infection to contact pigs. The highly lethal H5N1 viruses circulating in Asia seem to be capable of naturally infecting pigs. However, the incidence of such infections has been apparently low. None of the avian and human H5N1 viruses tested were readily transmitted between pigs under experimental conditions (Choi 2005). Based on these observations, pigs probably do not currently play an important role in the epidemiology of the Asian lineage H5N1.

An outbreak of the highly pathogenic H7N7 avian influenza in poultry, in the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany in Spring 2003, caused infection and mild illness, predominantly conjunctivitis, in 89 poultry workers exposed to infected animals and carcasses (Koopmans 2004). The infection of one veterinarian caused an acute respiratory distress syndrome and took a fatal course (Fouchier 2004). In addition, during the Dutch outbreak, H7N7 infection was virologically and serologically confirmed in several household contacts, four of which showed conjunctivitis (Du Ry van Beest Holle 2005). Evidence for (asymptomatic) natural infection with LPAIV strains of H9, H7 and H5 subtypes in humans has also been reported on other occasions in Italy and Japan (Zhou 1996, Puzelli 2005, Promed 20060110.0090).

In an anecdotal report (Promed Mail 20050826), a fatal infection due to H5N1 influenza in three rare civet cats born in captivity at a national park in Vietnam was mentioned. The source of the infection remained obscure. Another 20 civets of the same species, housed in adjacent cages, did not become sick.

Avian influenza viruses have never been detected in rats, rabbits and various other mammals present at live bird markets in Hong Kong where 20 % of the chickens were found positive for the Asian lineage H5N1 (Shortridge 1998)........

Table 3. Documented human infections with avian influenza viruses*
Date Country/Area Strain Cases (Deaths) Symptoms Source
1959 USA H7N7** 1 respiratory overseas travel
1995 UK H7N7 1 conjunctivitis pet ducks (shared lake with migratory birds)
1997 Hong Kong H5N1** 18 (6) respiratory/
pneumonia
poultry
1998 China (Guangdong) H9N2 5 unknown unknown
1999 Hong Kong H9N2 2 respiratory poultry; unknown

(Feb.)

Hong Kong H5N1** 2 (1) respiratory unknown

(Mar.)

Netherlands H7N7** 89 (1) conjunctivitis (pneumonia, respiratory insufficiency in fatal case) poultry

(Dec.)

Hong Kong H9N2 1 respiratory unknown
2003 New York H7N2 1 respiratory unknown
2003 Vietnam H5N1** 3 (3) respiratory poultry
2004 Vietnam H5N1** 29 (20) respiratory poultry
2004 Thailand H5N1** 17 (12) respiratory poultry
2004 Canada H7N3** 2 conjunctivitis poultry
2005 Vietnam H5N1** 61 (19) respiratory poultry
2005 Thailand H5N1** 5 (2) respiratory poultry
2005 China H5N1** 7 (3) respiratory poultry
2005 Cambodia H5N1** 4 (4) respiratory poultry
2005 Indonesia H5N1** 16 (11) respiratory poultry
2006 Turkey H5N1** 3 (3) respiratory poultry"

http://www.recombinomics.com/News/03060601/H5N1_Recombination_Guangdong_PB2.html
CY004398  A/herring gull/New Jersey/402/1989                1989  H5N3   
CY004976  A/herring gull/New Jersey/406/1989                1989  H5N3 
CY004389  A/herring gull/New Jersey/780/1986                1986  H1N3

http://www.recombinomics.com/News/02260602/H5N1_Astrakhan_American.html
CY005084  A/red knot/New Jersey/325/1989                 1989  H7N7
CY003928  A/laughing gull/New Jersey/798/1986           1986  H2N7
CY004829  A/laughing gull/New Jersey/72/1985             1985  H4N9
CY004391  A/ruddy turnstone/New Jersey/49/1985        1985  H4N9
CY004411  A/ruddy turnstone/New Jersey/65/1985        1985  H7N3   

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 8:40am
anon_22 – at 11:02

> We may have only 12–18 months at most.

Or longer. Or shorter.

Although John Oxford also said max 18 months.

Jhetta View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhetta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 10:25am

Synopsis of news on AI in Russia as of April 19, 2006

http://www.usapeec.ru/eng/latest_news/AI_synopsis.htm

One change in the amino-acid of bird flu is needed for an outbreak among humans to occur, said the Director of the Ivanovsky Virology Scientific Research Institute Dmitry Lvov. At the seminar titled "Perfecting the International Biosafety System. Global Action Plan," Lvov said the bird flu virus is one amino acid change away from a human outbreak. "Whether it will or will not happen, is God's will," he said.

Bird flu is registered in 10 subjects of Russia's southern regions as of April 2006, the Ministry of Emergency Situations reported. "Since February 2006, poultry losses resulting from H5N1 bird flu have been occurring in 10 subjects of the Southern Federal District (republic of Dagestan, Kalmykia, Adygeia, Chechnya, Kabardino-Balkaria, Stavropol, Krasnodar, Astrakhan, Rostov and Volgograd regions)," the ministry stated. "A total of 1.381 million birds have been destroyed since then, including 1.059 million that died." The ministry said that vaccination of poultry has been held in Russia since March 10, 2006. In Moscow and 73 subjects of the Russian Federation over 25.606 million birds have been immunized. No cases of infection among the population have taken place.

Yevgeny Kouznetsov does not agree:

There is no scientific reason for the occurrence of a bird flu pandemic, said Yevgeny Kouznetsov, leading researcher of the Center for Wildlife Health Protection. "Rumors that we are one or two steps away from a mutation of the pandemic virus are groundless," says the scientist explaining that "the strain may go toward a pandemic development or the opposite way and bird flu will be over." Pandemic forecasts are all based on the fact that "there have been no pandemics since 1967-68 and it's time for one to take place," Kouznetsov said. "If a pandemic takes place, it will not reach the scale of the Spanish flu pandemic," he assured. Yevgeny Kouznetsov also says bird flu will stop being a problem for Russia altogether by the end of this year.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 11:14am
Excellent post.  Thank you Rivky.  Beth
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 12:00pm
Beware of articles from PRWeb.  Jhetta mentions one above at http://www.emediawire.com/releases/2006/3/emw355363.htm  Anyone can post articles there.  Stephen Jones writes that article, he is a biology teacher who does not say where he heard that only one more mutation is needed for a pandemic.  Most experts talk about a few mutations being likely needed.  His website does not provide clues either, other than the fact he is selling a book on prepping for a pandemic, so he stands to profit from belief that it may happen very soon.
Jhetta View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhetta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 1:38pm

Agreed...

Which is why I took the time to find this article and then highlighted in green the expert that did not agree with him in a post above.  There are a few more out there if any one want to take the time to look!

Synopsis of news on AI in Russia as of April 19, 2006

One change in the amino-acid of bird flu is needed for an outbreak among humans to occur, said the Director of the Ivanovsky Virology Scientific Research Institute Dmitry Lvov. At the seminar titled "Perfecting the International Biosafety System. Global Action Plan," Lvov said the bird flu virus is one amino acid change away from a human outbreak. "Whether it will or will not happen, is God's will," he said.....

Yevgeny Kouznetsov does not agree:

There is no scientific reason for the occurrence of a bird flu pandemic, said Yevgeny Kouznetsov, leading researcher of the Center for Wildlife Health Protection. "Rumors that we are one or two steps away from a mutation of the pandemic virus are groundless," says the scientist explaining that "the strain may go toward a pandemic development or the opposite way and bird flu will be over."

Edited by Jhetta - May 05 2006 at 1:40pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2006 at 5:59pm
anon_22 – at 08:55

“Was there anyone at the conference, that cared to speculate on a more optimistic scenerio? And if so, were any reasons given?”

Unfortunately, no.

In comparison to when I met them in January, a couple of them seem more convinced/resigned that this is going to happen.

John Oxford in January was far more jolly and saying well, we don’t know if it’s going to happen and treating the whole (Jan) conference more like an academic topic, more like let’s discuss virology rather than what are we going to do. Now it’s more like a cause, like he is trying to galvanise people to go out and convince others. It’s very subtle and if you are not a fellow Brit you probably wouldn’t notice. But I do.

The other one who I met a couple of times since January was Martin Meltzer. I was quite surprised at the extent to which he is now telling people to prepare, because that wasn’t my impression even a couple of months ago, where again he was more professorial and talked about statistics(!) and policymaking in general, and wasn’t as animated when I asked about pandemic preparedness. Now there seems to be a tinge of heaviness, sort of feeling the weight of the responsibility, if you know what I mean.

In his presentation, the sentences I quoted before were repeated clearly and emphatically. And his last slide says:

Conclusions:
What to do? “Take home message”?
Plan, Plan, Plan
Prepare, Prepare, Prepare
Practice, Practice, Practice
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2006 at 6:44pm
Found this when I was looking up Meltzer on the net --- sorry if it's already been referenced or too old! -k
RE: Martin Meltzer
       Presentation. Pandemic Influenza Workshop.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic