Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Coronavirus Pandemic: Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

If you have no money for preps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: If you have no money for preps
    Posted: January 20 2006 at 8:21pm

If you have absolutely no money to buy food, try to scrape together enough to buy a lot of rice and beans.  Especially buy a lot of rice.  If you have no money, borrow a Costco card from somebody and buy a huge bag of rice.  You can buy a 100 lb bag for $15.00.   If it is impossible for you to get a Costco card, PM me and I might be able to help you.  

Once the pandemic begins,  I'm planning on eating 100% rice for the entire duration of the pandemic,  from start to finish.  I'm going to eat rice every meal for over 1 year lol.   I bought a lot of soy sauce and spices.  I can make it very easily on 100% rice for over 1 year straight.     

Edited by Albert
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 8:27am

Albert,

Please be open to reconsidering the 100% rice diet.  For someone who has absolutely NO MONEY it is better than starving, but there are some serious downsides.

At the very least, I hope you have vitamin and mineral supplements, because white rice falls far short of providing the necessary nutrients your body needs.  A diet of 100% white rice is what brainwashing victims and cult members are fed, somehow this removes the critical thinking portions of one's mental capacity.  You will definitely need your wits about you in a pandemic situation.

Simply adding beans to your proposed regimen would be a good start - at least that way you are getting protein in your diet, and people have been known to live a long time on beans and rice.  You will need vitamin C to avoid scurvy.  I have a couple cases of canned mandarin oranges, but I also plan on growing broccoli, surprisingly high in vitamin C. A little known fact, one can make a tea from steeped pine needles - loads of vitamin C.

The other issue is boredom.  You will be cooped up inside, day and night. Can your psyche withstand that much monotony?  Variety in your meals will help break up the sameness.  We have about 100 pounds of beans and rice, but we also have canned corn and peas, a couple of cases of chili, canned chicken and gravy to go with the rice, tuna, pears, black olives, dry and condensed milk, instant mashed potatoes, bulk salt and sugar, stovetop stuffing, instant oatmeal and many other varieties of food to keep things interesting.  Most of these were bought in cases or in bulk at Costco, very affordably.

Give it some thought, Albert - the mind you save may be your own!

Edited by bruss01
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 8:37am

Thanks Bruss.  You are absolutely right about everything you said. 

That post was just meant for the truly poor.  The ones who can't afford to buy anyting at all.   Some people can't even afford to buy vitamin C, let alone any food.  Some people are barely staying off the streets.    $10.00 for some people might as well be a million.  These people need help.  I have been at that point in my life before. .

My point is that if you don't have but a few dollars to deal  with, use it very wisely.  Starvation could be a huge factor for the less fortunate.  

But as always bruss, you are 100% correct.   

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 8:46am

Please see this link for a very good introduction to Wheat Berries ( the kernel of whole wheat).  This is only an introduction to the versatility of this amazing (and cheap) food source.

http://waltonfeed.com/self/wheat.html

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 8:47am

Also, for those who can not afford to open a Costco account, I may be able to help you get a card.  If you are interested, please PM me.  I will need to know everything about your situation. 

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 9:03am

My fear is that some people will have to leave their houses to go deliver food to some people and all because these people didn't  plan properly.  This is not a fair thing to do.   Please people, plan now for the worst case scenario.   Don't burden other families in the future with your lack of preparing now.    Get creative if you have no money!      

amyjo View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amyjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 10:12am
Here's something I do, and I'm poor (:  Go to the asian/ethnic food stores.  They have huge supplies of dried everything there.  I actually am part asian so I love that stuff anyway.  I usually buy dried fish, dried seaweed (an awesome source of nutrients), dried mushrooms.  Their spices are usually way cheaper.  They have big containers of oils, etc.  I also buy tins of sardines, they have all kinds of stuff pickled and canned as well.  AND you all should consider cous cous.  It is a pasta that is very easy to store (takes up little space) and I swear, one cup of it poofs into a dinner for four.  It is one of my favorite things.  You can add anything to it from meat, broth to fruit/juice, raisins.  It is awesome.
aj
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 10:16am

For those that are not totally well off to prepare..there are other options ..they could go to the locale food banks and take some of those items and store those away if possible...some churches will help out those less fortunate..but come on lets also be real if you can afford the internet..

In order to prep I have had to give up extra things such as the cable channlels..less driving the car..the heat turned down...buying the children second hand clothing, instead of new..it is a suffle of the budget..

but I also know what you are saying..I am single mom on a fixed income and when I was working I was forever stocking up...to me food at this point is more important then alot of other material things..

Also instead of buying a 750 gram bag of pasta for 87 cents..then buy a 900 gram bag for 1.00 and store a sandwich bag away...I figure each half sandwich bag of pasta I store away is one more meal..it won,t be hard to grow tomatoes(I hope) looking into a green house this week..

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 11:36am

I LIKE THE IDEA OF SHARING LOW COST WAYS OF PREP   SOMEONE SHOULD CREATE A LOW COST LIST  I am buying the things I will need  most first in the end I will buy paper stuff.  I am now going around to stores  to price check  items   I need clothes but I think these will drop in price  to nothing.      

Edited by RBARNES55
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by RBARNES55 RBARNES55 wrote:

I LIKE THE IDEA OF SHARING LOW COST WAYS OF PREP   SOMEONE SHOULD CREATE A LOW COST LIST  

I would love to help with that..but I live in Northern Canada and our prices are alot different then anyone in the States...

but cheap re-use things...pop bottles 2 litre size excellent for storing water or even your rice...

wannago View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2006 at 4:31pm
Hi, I am an ex-cruiser (sailboat) and when we bought the huge bags of rice, cornmeal and flour, we "decanted" these into smaller ziplock bags (double layer) and lost only a very few to weavils and other bugs.  It was recommended we zap the bags in the microwave for a second or two which also kills anything still living in the drygoods, but we didn't have one.

We carried enough drygoods to last 2 of us 2 years.  This was on a 38ft boat with limited storage space.  Canned butter (yummy), canned bacon and New Zealand powdered milk were really appreciated.  Dried eggs were great for baking and crisco shortening didn't melt in tropical heat (no refrigerator) so canned chicken pies with reconstituted dried sh*take mushrooms were also on the menu.   Cheese kept under oil or wrapped in an oily cloth, keeps for months without refrigeration. We ate like kings and thoroughly enjoyed being self-sufficient.

Water was caught with a raincatcher, propane gas fuelled our stove .  We used a pressure cooker to conserve fuel usage (this is great for risotto in 5 mins).  Canned goods were dipped in a mix of varnish and thinners to stop the cans going rusty (remove label first) and relabel with something that doesn't rub off!  Creamed corn doesn't quite cut it for dessert  lol.

Hope these ideas help.

wannago
swankyc View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swankyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2006 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by Albert Albert wrote:

If you have no money, borrow a Costco card from somebody and buy a huge bag of rice.  You can buy a 100 lb bag for $15.00. 

Be careful with that, my wife and I somehow accidentally swapped cards once and the b!tch at the register gave me a whole ration of crap and threatened to take the card. 

I'm not afraid, I'm paranoid. Dont talk too loud, they are listening.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic