Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Preparing The Cabin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Preparing The Cabin
    Posted: May 09 2006 at 3:34pm
I have this really neat little cabin in Colorado.  It is an A-frame at about 8500 feet.  It has a crawl space, surrounded by concrete block.  The whole crawl space is about 425 square feet.   Since it is mostly underground it stays cool no matter what.  I am starting to store things under there.  I treat for mice twice a year to keep them away.  I have some things like toilet paper and clothes that I want to put under there  but I don't want any critters getting in my stuff.  Does anyone have any idea where I might find some free sturdy buckets for this with good tight lids.
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 5:05pm
Sounds like it's time for you to go down to the local SPCA and adopt a kitten or two. Put its/their food in the crawl space each day.  No poisons. No traps. No mice! Clap
Survival does have an 'I'!

Dodging 'canes on Florida's central Gulf Coast
ozjohn View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 10:31pm
2ifbyC,

Don't get TWO mate, you may end up with more cats than mice!

Wink

OJ
Scout motto - "Be Prepared"
Jefiner View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jefiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 6:23am
I found some air and water tight bins at Petsmart--designed to store pet food.  Put your stuff in there, a couple of moth balls, fasten down the lid, and you are all set.  You may want to investigate those space saver bags that you suck the air out with a vacuum.
Jefiner

Either you had no purpose

Or the purpose is beyond the end you figured

And is altered in fulfilment.    T. S. Eliot   
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 12:01pm
[QUOTE=ozjohn]2ifbyC,

Don't get TWO mate, you may end up with more cats than mice!

Wink   OJ [QUOTE]

Good point! LOL

OK, get two kittens from the San Francisco SPCA...

Survival does have an 'I'!

Dodging 'canes on Florida's central Gulf Coast
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2006 at 7:57am

Ok.  I am not getting cats.  I don't get a lot of mice up here but if you don't treat at least once a year you might start getting them.  I just want to store things really really tight down in the crawl space. 

Next thing I need is a good crank radio.  I just wonder what kind of reception they have and if where I am would be good or bad.  I am about thirty miles west of Norad in a valley surrounded by 10,500 mountain peaks.  The cell phone barely works there - in fact so rarely that when the cell does ring I go "Hark!  What is that noise?"  It is also a great spot for solar.

Iron Mommy View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iron Mommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 11:37am

I have a crank radio made by Grundig and it gets better reception than my other fancier and more expensive radio. I live on Long Island but can get stations in Indiana, Kentucky, and South Carolina, as well as Canada. Very cool. I don't know if mountains would block signals where you are but if they're there, this radio can get 'em. There are "300" and "200" models--this is the 200 one. It has shortwave, a crank flashlight, and AM/FM.

About mouseproof storage--mice/rats can chew through plastic like it's butter. Clothes and TP should be safe in plastic buckets because they don't have an odor, though. Collect big glass jars, metal tins, etc. for food. Smaller glass jars are great for rice, etc. I use old spaghetti-sauce jars, mustard jars, etc to store just about everything. (If there's a choice, I'll always buy food in glass for this reason). Start saving jars now. Ask at local restaurants, they may give you their giant-size glass jars when they're done.
cccc View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cccc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 2:18pm
Why in the world are you telling the world your location? Do you really want us all to come help ourselves to your home/preps? Tighten Up!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 9:37pm
I've been searching the thrift stores for old metal ice chests......if you can even find them.  The bigger you can find the better.  We're putting them in the crawl space under the house buried nearly completely. 

Filled with dry sawdust, these will make an old fashioned root cellar for "keeper" items like onions, potatoes, carrots, turnips, etc.  When putting these items in the chests, be careful not to let anything touch either the sides of the chest or eachother.  Even if you loose a few, these will taste reeeeally good later on.
Iron Mommy View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iron Mommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 6:22am
Good luck finding someone who names the region they live in, and nothing ellse. Even if someone names their town, good luck!

Mississipp Mama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 5:40pm

Hi Penguin, thanks for the idea on how to root cellar with a metal ice chest.   I do have a few questions.  Do I need to wrap the root vegetables in anything like newspaper?  After putting the vegetalbes in the metal conatiner will I need to seal the ice chest with tape?  How deep should I bury the ice chest?  Will this method work for root vegetables you buy from the grocery store or do you need to grow you own?  Thanks for your help.  Please give me an idea of how much you are trying to store.  I would be storing for 2 people but don't have any idea on how much to try and put away.  Please feel free to email me.  Kashmir@netdoor.com

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2006 at 8:13am
Hi Penguin,
Please, could you post your answer to Mississippi Mama's questions on the forum. I would love to learn more as well, and I think others might as well, and I think it pertains to preparation.

I had a few more questions. Why the sawdust? What does it do? Thank you for the great idea.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2006 at 9:14pm

Hello Mississipp and Grace.......

Apology for taking so long to answer.....have been on a business trip and tho' I do love my job sometimes it really gets in the way of my personal business.

Back to the business of root cellars.  Since I'm not certain of the climate in your part of the country, you might need to experiment a little with a combination that works best.  I'm not an expert by any means so here are the basics I consider:

* a good location:  crawl space or possibly a corner of the basement.  Anything that works with the other criteria.

* a good container:  solid and sturdy with a tight fitting lid.  I use old ice chests because they're easy to handle in a crawl space that makes me feel like the bell ringer of Notre Dame anyway.  Metal garbage cans...especially the half size....would work also.  You want something water and varmit proof.  Hard plastic may not be enough to fend off a starving rat or squirrel with the teeth of a chainsaw.

* filler:  something to cushion, allow moisture and air circulation, and is C H E A P.  I go with sawdust (slightly moist) because it's free, however loose, moist soil or mulch would work.  I haven't tried wrapping with newspaper but it might be a good technique.

* temperature:  as cool as possible but protect from freezing.  How far you bury this thing might depend on your climate.  If the ground froze where I live, I might be inclined to bury it deeper.  Since that happens rarely here, I'm going with shallower so I can keep an eye on things because it rains here a lot.

* humidity:  80% and above is best to prevent shriveling.  Might need to spray bottle the filler a little if things start to dry out, however too wet speeds up mold.

* light:  as dark as possible

* varmits:  never under estimate the enemy.  They will find a way to get in.  If you use soil or mulch, make certain you aren't bringing the enemy into your camp.

* choose a variety of vegetable that is a good "keeper":  this might depend on what is available in your area.  Walla Walla sweet onions are so tasty but have a short shelf life.  I'm going with something that keeps longer.

* choose the best specimens to begin with:  look for the Greek gods of potatoes, the most gorgeous of onions, the most plump, succulent, yam, etc.  Be certain they are free from any disease, bruises, cuts, or anything that would encourage the start of the spoiling process.  I also look for items of good size, in case something does start to go, I can cut that part off and still have something edible left.  Home grown or grocery doesn't matter, both work.  I have taken a particular liking to the VW sized potatoes at Costco.

* quantity to store:  depends on your resources to set-up and maintain as well as the risk if it freezes, gets wet, or eaten.   I'm prepping for 2-4 adults so will put as much as I can away and hope for the best.  You can always start small and add to it.

* pack the containers with care:  make certain your hands are clean but don't wash any of the produce.  If something starts to spoil and is touching another item, they will both go so make them all keep their distance.

* monitor things regularly:  if things start going south, remove the spoiling items AND THE SURROUNDING FILLER, immediately.  I would not be inclined to tape the lids unless that's the only way to keep them on tight.

High temperature and high humidity encourages bacteria and mold.  These are the two things to watch out for.........that is, along with everything else we all have to think about.

My thoughts are with all of you these next months.

PS.  Tip to keep those wonderfull Walla Wallas as long as possible.

Get an old pair of panty hose.  Yes, Albert, those will do.
Put an onion in each toe.......move up the leg a little, then tie a knot.  Put in another onion......move up......another knot.  You get the idea.  Mix large ones and smaller ones so you have an option on each leg.  Hang the panty hose around a sturdy wooden hanger and hang in a cool, dry, dark place.

Need an onion?  It's down to the basement with your scissors.  Snip between the knots and it's hash brown time!

Yes, you should have seen the face on my furnace repair man.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic