Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Suspect H5N1 Bird Flu Cluster in North Sumatra Ind
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Suspect H5N1 Bird Flu Cluster in North Sumatra Ind

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suspect H5N1 Bird Flu Cluster in North Sumatra Ind
    Posted: May 10 2006 at 9:27am

Commentary

Suspect H5N1 Bird Flu Cluster in North Sumatra Indonesia

Recombinomics Commentary

May 10, 2006

Roy Karokaro, 19 years, died to struck 11 days on last Tuesday (9/5).
Roy was treated in RSU Adam the Owner since last Monday night.
While Anta Beru Ginting, 29 years, died on Wednesday (10/5) at dawn earlier.

Roy Karokaro, Anta Beru Ginting as well as his five relatives was the reconciliation patient from RSU Kabanjahe, the Karo Land Regency.
Five relatives at this time still were treated intensive in the same hospital, namely Jones Ginting, Boni Karokaro and a pre-schooler be aged one half of the year, Renaita Beru Tarigan.

Whereas two last patients who were treated were Rafael Ginting and Obviously Beru Ginting.

All this patient had the family's direct relations and lived in the close house.

The above description of a large familial cluster in North Sumatra,  Indonesia is cause for concern.  Other reports indicated the mother has also died at an earlier date.  The relatives have H5N1 bird flu symptoms and the extended time period for symptoms and admissions is cause for concern.

The number of fatalities has now grown to three and the condition of additional family members continues to deteriorate.

Familial clusters of H5N1 in Indonesia have been noted previously, but this is the largest suspected cluster reported to date.
http://www.recombinomics.com/News/05100602/H5N1_Sumatra.html
Media Link

Map
Commonground View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Commonground Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 1:29pm
Commentary

Suspect Sumatra H5N1 Cluster Raises Pandemic Concerns

Recombinomics Commentary
May 10, 2006

Last casualties who died were Ana Br Ginting, the woman was 29 years old, the citizen Street Veteran, Kabanjahe, the capital of the Karo Regency. He died around struck 05.00 WIB, during in the maintenance in the central Public Hospital (RSUP) Adam the Owner, Street Bungalow Medan.

Two casualties beforehand that died was Roy Karo-Karo, 19 years. He
Died on May 9 2006, now his mother Praise Br Ginting died last May 4. Both of them were expected strong terjangkit the bird flu virus.

Now casualties that still was treated at this time, numbering five people. Four people that was treated in isolation space of RSUP Adam the Owner, respectively Jones Ginting (25), Bonny Karo-karo (18) and Renaita Tarigan (1.8 years), as well as Obviously Ulina Ginting (8).

While Rafael Ginting, 8 years, was treated in RS Elisabeth, Street Imam Breakingprep Bonjol Medan.

The above detail on the suspected H5N1 bird flu fatalities raises additional pandmeic concerns. The mother died on May 4 followed the death of her son on May 9 and another family member on May 10. The delay of 5-10 days between the index case and family members is the hallmark of person-to-person transmission of H5N1. In Indonesia, as many as 2/3 of cases are linked to family clusters and the vast majority of the clusters have the 5-10 day gap.

However, in the past familial clusters were smaller, generally invoving 2 or 3 people. This cluster has 8 family members who have died or are hospitalized with bird flu symptoms, signaling a more efficient transmission of H5N1.

H5N1 has been present in Indonesia since 2003, but the first reported human cases were reported last year. If the current cluster is positive for H5N1, they will be the largest cluster in Indonesia and the largest confirmed cluster if all test positive.

In any event, the large number of family members, ranging in age from 40 to 1.5 and the differences in onset dates suggests this cluster is cause for concern.

schnards View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schnards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 1:43pm
Hi to all,

this report sounds really concern to me! These are new clusters after the AZ-clusters. (You know the WHO confirmed this into the last days, here's the link:   http://www.who.int/wer/2006/wer8118.pdf !! Please referr site 11 up to 16.) So I think, we don't need to wait until next winter for a pandemic! Maybe it's closer than anyone of us assume!!!!

Take care
schnards
sane sane they're all insane
MAJDAD View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAJDAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 2:41pm
This is one we all need to keep an eye on.  If additional cases show up in the same location and or health care workers become infected then we know that the chase is on.

It is disturbing to me that the WHO is taking it's time about running the test to determine if this is H5N1 and how each member of the family contracted the disease.

Stay cool stay alert. 
Major Dad hopes you are all alive and well and looking out for each other
MAJDAD View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAJDAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 4:30pm
http://www.recombinomics.com/News/05100603/H5N1_Sumatra_Pandemic.html
This link was on the BirdFluBreaking News web site.  It has been removed.  From the site.  Someone is trying to keep this one a secret.

unpathedhaunts View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unpathedhaunts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 4:38pm
What else are they keeping from us, one wonders. And who are they?
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Commonground Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 4:42pm
This is a source of news from Indonesia. BUT......I can't translate it into English. If someone could tell me what site to go to, I will keep track of articles off of this site, and translate them...and post them here.

http://www.metrotvnews.com/berita.asp?id=16407 and another site:

http://www.detiknews.com/index.php/...1573/idkanal/10

Exactly what language do they speak in Indonesia??? All the translation sites I've visited don't include Indonesian......

2ciewan View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ciewan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 4:55pm
its Bahasa i think, looking for translation tool for you now
2ciewan View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ciewan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 4:59pm
http://www.seasite.niu.edu/Indonesian/TataBahasa/dictionary/Default.htm

might help, sure we can find better tho
2ciewan View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ciewan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 5:06pm
http://www.toggletext.com/

that should do it :)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 5:06pm
I GOT IT! I found a translator!!! - give me a min ..... k
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 5:14pm
This is from the first site listed: http://www.metrotvnews.com/berita.asp?id=16407

Metrotvnews.com, Medan: Lima the assumption patient of bird flu that comes from one family in the Karo Regency, North Sumatra, up to now was still undergoing the intensive maintenance in Adam's Hospital the Owner and the Hospital Saint Elizabeth, Medan.

Beforehand, their family's two members, Roy Karokaro and Anta Beru Ginting, died resulting from the illness with the same sign.

The condition for the five patients, up to now, it was reported still is critical.

The five patients that is Jones Ginting, Boni Karokaro, Renaita Beru Tarigan, Rafael Ginting, and Obviously Beru Ginting.

All the patient had the family's direct relations and lived in the close house.

According to the Head of public relations of RS Adam the Owner, the Ginting rays, all the patient had the same sign that is hot high, the cough and was gotten the liquid to his lungs

Responded to this case, the Section Head North Sumatran Livestock Breeding, Abdul the Siregar Uterus stated, his side will take the action of taking the form of the extermination of the poultry animal that was around casualties's residence in the Karo Regency.

This was done for anticipated spread him this deadly illness to the other citizen.

In the meantime, Health Minister Siti Fadilah Supari said, he did not suspect the case of bird flu of happening in Karokaro, North Sumatra.

Menkes suspected the spreading of the bird flu virus of beginning with fertiliser.

(/AMR)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 5:16pm
This was the caption under the photo:

Tim was medical RS Adam the Owner was treating one of the family's members who became the patient suspect bird flu.

(Metro the TV)
JMcB View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMcB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 5:29pm
Those guys in the photo look like serious business
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 5:31pm
Can't get the second one to cut/paste ... I'm free typing it into the translator ... is anyone else having any better luck??-k
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 6:00pm
Oke - had trouble getting into the 2nd link, but found a headline on the side that had the word 'flu' in it, so this is what I got ... hope it's the one you were looking for.  This was a hard site to get into!  It wouldn't show the full link in the header and it wouldn't let me cut/past/highlight at all! anyway ... here goes:
Casualties died Suspect Bird Flu in Karo, so 3 Oran
Khairul the Brother detikom
http://www.detiknews.com/
Casualties died it was suspected (suspect) terjangkit visu bird flu in the Karo Regency, 
North Sumatra (North Sumatra) continued to improve.
On Wednesday (10/5/2006), other casualties 
died. 

Last casualties who died were Ana Br Ginting, the woman was 29 years

old, the citizen Street Veteran, Kabanjahe, the capital of the Karo Regency.

He died around struck 05.

00 WIB, during in the maintenance in the central Public Hospital (RSUP) Adam the Owner,
Street Bungalow Medan.
"His body has been brought by the family to Kabanjahe this morning," said a medical official 
RSUP Adam the Owner to the reporter.
Two casualties beforehand that died was Roy Karo-Karo, 19 years.
He died on May 9 2006, now his mother Praise Br Ginting died last May 4.
Both of them were expected strong terjangkit the bird flu virus.
Now casualties that still was treated at this time, numbering five people.
Four people that was treated in isolation space of RSUP Adam the Owner, 
respectively Jones Ginting (25), Bonny Karo-karo (18) and Renaita Tarigan 
(1.8 years) ,serta Obviously Ullina Ginting (8).
While Rafael Ginting, 8 years, was treated in RS Elisabeth, Street Imam 
Breakingprep Bonjol Medan.
Rafael beforehand also was treated in RSUP Adam the Owner, but several medical 
reasons other, he was afterwards moved to RS Elisabeth.
As being reported, villagers's one family the Simbelang Fortification, the 
Subdistrict of three bows, the Karo Land Regency, was expected terjangkit the
 bird flu virus.
They experienced the high fever and the disturbance of breathing.
Beforehand this family it was known consumed the piece chicken that 
was bought from the traditional market in Kabanjahe, the Karo capital.
Moreover around casualties's residence also was gotten by the chicken 
livestock and the pig (ahm)
Casualties died Suspect Bird Flu in Karo, so 3 Oran
Khairul the Brother detikom
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 6:01pm
This is the translator site I used:
MAJDAD View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAJDAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 6:17pm
Ready Mom You  ROCK !!
We all thank you for your great work.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 6:22pm
Embarrassed
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 6:27pm
So, is this saying that the pig had it too?-k
MAJDAD View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAJDAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 6:31pm
That's the take I have on it.  With 5 in one family dead and 8 infected with the other 3 in serious condition in the hospital. 

Don't know how we are going to do it but need to watch this one close and listen to see if WHO says any thing. 

Gut feeling.  WHO will say nothing and this may get covered up if no one else gets sick.  If health workers get sick I don;t know if WHO can cover it up.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 6:49pm
So do all these people live in the same household, neighbors, friends??
Linda View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 6:50pm
It looks like...when using the dictionary that the firs article's caption says he is one of many family members that is a medical patient with bird flu
Insanity is making the same mistakes and expecting different results....therefore...Those who don't learn from history are bound to go insane.
Linda View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 6:52pm
wow....way to go ready mom...I was getting that little bit while you were getting it all....THANK YOU...GREAT WORK ,ClapFANTASTIC
Insanity is making the same mistakes and expecting different results....therefore...Those who don't learn from history are bound to go insane.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 6:59pm
    HOW DID THIS FAMILY GET THE BF. WHERE THEY NEAR ANY POULTRY?
Linda View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 7:13pm
Metrotvnews.com, Medan: Lima the assumption patient
 of bird flu that comes from one family in the
 Karo Regency, North Sumatra, up to now was still undergoing the intensive maintenance in Adam's Hospital the Owner and the Hospital Saint Elizabeth, Medan.
Beforehand, their family's two members, Roy Karokaro and Anta Beru Ginting, died resulting from the illness with the same sign.
The condition for the five patients, up to now, it was reported still is critical.
The five patients that is Jones Ginting, Boni Karokaro, Renaita Beru Tarigan, Rafael Ginting, and Obviously Beru Ginting.
All the patient had the family's direct relations and lived in the close house.
According to the Head of public relations of RS Adam the Owner, the Ginting rays, all the patient had the same sign that is hot high, the cough and was gotten the liquid to his lungs.
Responded to this case, the Section Head North Sumatran Livestock Breeding, Abdul the Siregar Uterus stated, his side will take the action of taking the form of the extermination of the poultry animal that was around casualties's residence in the Karo Regency.
This was done for anticipated spread him this deadly illness to the other citizen.
In the meantime, Health Minister Siti Fadilah Supari said, he did not suspect the case of bird flu of happening in Karokaro, North Sumatra.
Menkes suspected the spreading of the bird flu virus of beginning with fertiliser.
(/AMR)
Jhetta View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhetta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by ReadyMom ReadyMom wrote:

So, is this saying that the pig had it too?-k

The article mentioned that the poultry would be killed.  They did not mention if the pig would been tested or if it would be killed.

Linda View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 7:15pm

oops ran the same article through the translator

Jhetta View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhetta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by birdlady birdlady wrote:

HOW DID THIS FAMILY GET THE BF. WHERE THEY NEAR ANY POULTRY?

The article mentioned that they had eaten chicken from a market  in Kabanjahe and that poultry lived outside the house.  They had a pig as well.

The article seems to assert that the infection could have started from fertilizer... most likely in the form of bird droppings.

WHO needs to be in there testing all; market in Kabanjahe, neighbors, fertilizer, pig, hospital workers, etc.

Linda View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 7:23pm

How many people have been infected in Indonesia previously?

Jhetta View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhetta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by Linda Linda wrote:

How many people have been infected in Indonesia previously?

There are quite a few conflicting numbers quoted in the following previous posts...

"Indonesia has the world's highest mortality rate from avian influenza, with 26 deaths from 34 confirmed cases of the virus. It also has the second-highest human fatalities from the virus after Vietnam which has reported 42 deaths."

Jhetta: The numbers above seem to be very different than stated in  a post earlier this week which quoted 128 confirmend cases in Indonesia.

*******The last two paragraphs are very important - the numbers in the last paragraph do not add up, but are really different than the ones published by WHO - they were provided by the Indonesian health minister******* 

He said 401 suspects had been examined. Of the number, 330 were declared negative with the bird flu virus, 128 were still under observations and 128 had been confirmed positive with the virus.
http://www.antara.co.id/en/seenws/index.php?id=12030

The above article was confusing but esentially said:

401 suspects in Indonesia had been examined for H5N1.

Of that number (401), 330 were declared negative with the bird flu virus  401 - 330 = 71 Positive out of this 401

128 were still under observation - Good/Why?

And 128 had been confirmed positive with the virus;)  How many of these were among the 401 examined?

http://www.birdflubreakingnews.com/templates/birdflu/window.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.antara.co.id%2Fen%2Fseenws%2F%3Fid%3D12030 

[QUOTE=Dlugose]First of all, they can see that in neigboring countries after suitable action is taken the death rate falls.  The waves of death have petered out in Vietnam and Thailand, and perhaps China, though who knows what is really going on there.  See graph of national trends from WHO: http://www.avianflutalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=7484&KW=

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 7:29pm
Wonder if we follow those two publications for the next few days, if we'll be able to find out any more??-k
MAJDAD View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAJDAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 9:11pm
Additional information at this link

It is worth noting that the paper says only 6 individuals are sick and that only 3 have died.  It also states that they all got sick from eating the same chicken.  (This is the official state New paper)

They do not mention the children or that the on set was staggered.

They do state that it will be two more weeks before the WHO have any results from the BLOOD test that were taken.

Lutosh View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lutosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 9:29pm

Human Genetics May Play A Role in Avian Flu Cases (Update 1)

May 11 (Bloomberg) -- Some people are more susceptible to bird flu than others, suggesting human genetics may play a role in the viral infection that's killed more than 100 people in the past three years, virologist Robert Webster said.

``There are a few humans that are extraordinarily sensitive,'' said Webster, 74, the Rosemary Thomas professor at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee. ``This seems to be in families on the maternal side,'' he said in an interview in Singapore last week.

Scientists are trying to increase their understanding of the disease in humans and of the lethal H5N1 strain of avian influenza, which has the potential to evolve into a pandemic form that may kill millions of people.

The H5N1 virus has killed at least 115 of 207 people known to have been infected since late 2003, the World Health Organization said on May 8. Some of the human cases involved multiple family members.

The human genome contains an estimated 30,000 genes. One hundred or more genes may be involved in the human response to influenza infection, Webster said.

``Which one matters for H5N1 more than another?'' Webster said. ``We don't know enough about cell biology, let alone enough about virology to put these two together.''

The number of humans infected by H5N1 has increased this year after 34 countries across three continents reported initial outbreaks in birds since February. In Asia, almost 200 million domestic fowl have died or been culled to contain the spread of H5N1, costing countries more than $10 billion, the World Bank said in January.

Family Members

This year, 39 fatalities have been reported, almost as many as the 41 deaths recorded in the whole of 2005. Cases in which multiple family members were infected occurred across Asia and Eastern Europe, including in Azerbaijan, Vietnam and Indonesia.

``The question of genetic susceptibility to H5N1 has certainly been raised in the past,'' said Maria Cheng, a WHO spokeswoman in Geneva. ``It may have some credence, given the millions of people that have likely been exposed to sick birds and the relatively small number of confirmed cases.''

Current data provides too little information to draw any firm conclusions, Cheng said.

``Hopefully, as we get more information once more sophisticated clinical networks are set up in countries with human bird flu cases, we will have information that helps us distinguish between exposure issues and host susceptibility factors,'' she said. ``Until then, this remains only a theory.''

More Lethal

Variants of the H5N1 virus have become progressively more lethal over the past eight years in experimentally infected chickens and mice, the WHO said in February.

The virus is also becoming more capable of causing disease in mammals, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta said in March.

``These are all worrying things,'' said Webster, who has been studying influenza for more than 40 years. ``This highly pathogenic virus has been around for 10 years now and it keeps magnifying. Some of my colleagues are saying if it was going to go human-to-human, it would have happened now. You don't know.''

To contact the reporter on this story:

Jason Gale in Singapore at  j.gale@bloomberg.net

http://tinyurl.com/jdohh

Jhetta View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhetta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 1:15am

9 Suspected Sumatra H5N1 Cluster Patients ~ Combined from articles at bottom of page:

1. Fuji Ginting, Roy's father, Fuji, 40, Died on May 4 at Elisabeth Hospital.
2. Anta Beru Ginting, 29 years, Died on Wednesday May 5 at dawn earlier at Adam Malik Hospital
3. Roy Karo-Karo, 19 years. He Died Tuesday May 9 2006
4. Praise Br Ginting (Roys Mother) Died May 4. Both of them were expected strong terjangkit the bird flu virus.

Five relatives at this time still were treated intensive care in the same hospital, namely:

5. Jones Ginting (25), 
6. Bonny Karo-karo (18)
7. Renaita Beru Tarigan a pre-schooler (1.8 years)

The last two patients who were treated were

8. Rafael Ginting, 8 years, was treated in RS Elisabeth, Street Imam Breakingprep Bonjol Medan(Medan is a town in Northern Sumatra)
9. Obviously Ulina Ginting (8).

Suspect H5N1 Bird Flu Cluster in North Sumatra Indonesia
Recombinomics Commentary

May 10, 2006

Suspect Sumatra H5N1 Cluster Raises Pandemic Concerns
Recombinomics Commentary

May 10, 2006
The above detail on the suspected H5N1 bird flu fatalities raises additional pandmeic concerns.  The mother died on May 4 followed the death of her son on May 9 and another family member on May 10.  The delay of 5-10 days between the index case and family members is the hallmark of person-to-person transmission of H5N1.  In Indonesia, as many as 2/3 of cases are linked to family clusters and the vast majority of the clusters have the 5-10 day gap.

However, in the
past familial clusters were smaller, generally invoving 2 or 3 people.  This cluster has 8 family members who have died or are hospitalized with bird flu symptoms, signaling a more efficient transmission of H5N1.

If the current cluster is positive for H5N1, they will be the largest cluster in Indonesia and the largest confirmed cluster if all test positive.

In any event, the large number of family members, ranging in age from 40 to 1.5 and the differences in onset dates suggests this cluster is cause for concern.

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Commonground Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 4:34am
thanks everyone for helping me out, I think between us all, we are going to be able to keep on top of this. I guess the 1 1/2 and 15 yr. old are still in critical condition.

http://www.metrotvnews.com/berita.asp?id=16468

Metrotvnews.com, Medan: the Condition two patients terindikasi bird flu in Adam's space of the isolation of the central Public Hospital the Owner, Medan, North Sumatra, it was reported still was critical.
Beforehand, three people from the same family died with the indication was infected by the bird flu virus.
The two patients that was critical this each being named Reneita Boru Ginting that just aged one half of the year and Boni Karokaro, the adolescent was 15 years old.
Both of them were treated since three days set after being reconciled from RSU Kabanjahe.
Reneita and Boni were villagers the Simbelang Fortification, the Subdistrict of three bows, of the Karo Land Regency, North Sumatra.
Deputy Director RSUP Adam the Owner, M. Nurrasyid said, the two patients experienced critical since last Wednesday (10/5).
Their condition was in part marked in a hot manner the temperature of the body that fluctuated quickly.
The two patients also suffered difficult pneumonia was accompanied by the cough that became the characteristics of the infection of the bird flu virus of the beginning.
Beforehand, three people from the same family died after could undergo the maintenance two days in RSUP Adam the Owner.
(DEN)
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Commonground Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 4:44am
I don't see the names "Mirza & Naru" entered in the above list composed by Jhetta. These two people are in a different hospital also, since this past Monday.

http://www.metrotvnews.com/berita.asp?id=16436

Metrotvnews.com, Jakarta: the Condition two patients that was treated in the Sulianti Saroso Infection Hospital, Jakarta North, since Monday set, increasingly improved.
Be based on penelitin the medical RSPI Sulianti team, only one patient that was expected suspect bird flu.
According to Deputy Director RSPI Sulianti, the doctor Sardikin Giriputro, the two patients, Mirza and Naru, that entered on May 8 set.
Results of the first inspection, the patient was named Naru the possibility not suspect bird flu.
However, to ascertain him, the hospital side was still being waiting for results of the laboratory of Hong Kong.
At this time, said Sardikin, the patient who was named Mirza was still being treated diruang the intensive maintenance (ICU), while Naru was moved to maintenance space of the isolation.
The condition for the two patients has been stable and increasingly improved.
Sardikin denied the existence ordered from the hospital about the evacuation of the patient's house.
According to him, that was the authority of the Health of the Service.
The hospital side only had the right to carry out the maintenance against the patient suspect bird flu.
According to Sardikin, the case of bird flu in Jakarta, descended.
This was proven for the last 10 days in May, RSPI Sulianti only received three patients.
(DEN)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 5:45am
Could it passed from mom to children or children to mom because mom takes care of children? When kids are sick, often dad goes to work and mom takes care of kids, wiping noses, and changing diapers. Could just have much closer contact.
Teagen View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teagen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 8:16am
   That is most likely what is happened with all of the H2H cases. The primary caregiver becomes infected because of close cotact to the patient but it hasn't gone much further then that.

This cluster is important because it appears that it has mutated and is now going from H2H easier. It is important to take into account that this is still just immediate family and they are probably living in close contact with each other so H5N1 is still not as easily transmitted as other influenza's but it is getting closer.
Jhetta View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhetta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Commonground Commonground wrote:

I don't see the names "Mirza & Naru" entered in the above list composed by Jhetta. These two people are in a different hospital also, since this past Monday.

http://www.metrotvnews.com/berita.asp?id=16436

Metrotvnews.com, Jakarta: the Condition two patients that was treated in the Sulianti Saroso Infection Hospital, Jakarta North, since Monday set, increasingly improved.
Be based on penelitin the medical RSPI Sulianti team, only one patient that was expected suspect bird flu.
According to Deputy Director RSPI Sulianti, the doctor Sardikin Giriputro, the two patients, Mirza and Naru, that entered on May 8 set.
Results of the first inspection, the patient was named Naru the possibility not suspect bird flu.
However, to ascertain him, the hospital side was still being waiting for results of the laboratory of Hong Kong.
At this time, said Sardikin, the patient who was named Mirza was still being treated diruang the intensive maintenance (ICU), while Naru was moved to maintenance space of the isolation.
The condition for the two patients has been stable and increasingly improved.
Sardikin denied the existence ordered from the hospital about the evacuation of the patient's house.
According to him, that was the authority of the Health of the Service.
The hospital side only had the right to carry out the maintenance against the patient suspect bird flu.
According to Sardikin, the case of bird flu in Jakarta, descended.
This was proven for the last 10 days in May, RSPI Sulianti only received three patients.
(DEN)

Link to goolge maps zoom out for a better overview

Linda View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 2:55pm
Thanks to everyone fotr posting here and thank you Jhetta for your clarifying of info. This all gets so frustrating to figure out I'm so glad to have this site to come to.
Jhetta View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhetta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Linda Linda wrote:

Thanks to everyone fotr posting here and thank you Jhetta for your clarifying of info. This all gets so frustrating to figure out I'm so glad to have this site to come to.

I know exactly what you mean... very complex and I really appreciate the support and comrade of this site as well.  We are a nice team!

JMcB View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMcB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 3:06pm
: Three suspected B2H patients die in North Sumatra

The Jakarta Post finally got around to confirming Henry Niman's Recombinomics report (and buried it on their website): Three suspected bird flu patients die in Medan.

Three suspected bird flu patients have died in North Sumatra during the past week, with the latest victim passing away in a Medan hospital Wednesday morning.

According to the North Sumatra Bird Flu Prevention Team, the three victims, all from Kubu Simbelang village in Karo regency, died several days after being admitted to hospitals in Medan.

The team said three other suspected bird flu patients are currently being treated at Adam Malik Hospital in Medan.

Nur Rasyid Lubis, the head of North Sumatra's Suspected Bird Flu Patient Management team, said Wednesday the three dead victims had eaten chicken together.

Several days after eating the chicken, "the first suspected victim, Fuji Ginting, experienced breathing problems and a high fever. The same symptoms were also suffered by the two other victims, Anta Ginting and Roy Karo-Karo", Nur said.

Anta, 29, died at Adam Malik Hospital on Wednesday morning, while Roy, 18, died at the same hospital Tuesday. Roy's father, Fuji, 40, passed away May 4 at Elisabeth Hospital.

Nur, who is also deputy director of medical services at Adam Malik, said the hospital did everything in its power to treat the patients, but was unable to save them.

North Sumatra Health Office chief Fatni Sulani said the office was investigating the cases and had sent blood samples from the three to Jakarta for testing.

"We expect the results of the blood tests to be completed in the next two weeks. For the meantime, the three victims are still suspected, not positive, bird flu patients," Fatni said.

She said that North Sumatra has not had a confirmed case of bird flu in humans.

"So far, the bird flu virus in North Sumatra has only affected fowl. Thirteen regencies/cities have been put on bird flu alert after the virus was found in local birds," Fatni said.

She said the cities on bird flu alert included Binjai, Deli Serdang, Langkat and Medan.

North Sumatra Husbandry Office head Rahim Siregar said Wednesday his office had added Karo regency to the list of bird flu prone areas in the province.

"Fowl in North Sumatra have been affected by bird flu since July 2005, but there have been no confirmed cases in humans," Rahim said.

Meanwhile, the Financial Times.com says Indonesia should spend more to combat avian flu.

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Commonground Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 3:21pm
Together, all of us, we will get through this......with everyones help, we can do it!!! Thanks Jhetta and JMcB. I've got a Mac and I can't post maps, and I really like the map you posted. The article that I posted naming "Mirza and Naru", doesn't really give a location except to say "Jakarta North".
Jhetta View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhetta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 3:43pm

"So far, the bird flu virus in North Sumatra has only affected fowl. Thirteen regencies/cities have been put on bird flu alert after the virus was found in local birds," Fatni said.

She said the cities on bird flu alert included Binjai, Deli Serdang, Langkat and Medan.

North Sumatra Husbandry Office head Rahim Siregar said Wednesday his office had added Karo regency to the list of bird flu prone areas in the province."

Map of two towns on alert... wait for it to load
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic