Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

HOME CANNING

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoosierMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 6:17am
I had thought about freezing some precooked rice, could always stretch a prep while conserving energy, if there was a power outage, at least the first few days. Maybe try to cook it just enough to prevent gummy texture. Just a thought. By the way i did a batch of carrot cake/bread yesterday we tried it -yum yum.  Saved a small jar to taste in a couple months, of course mom will taste it alone could be  Smile or Dead  !
davidrstack View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidrstack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 10:14am
Greetings fellow Canners:

I decided to can some chili whose web link was posted on this thread.  I made the chili according to directions and sterilized the jars and lids (pint - wide mouth).  I brought the pressure cooker up to 10 lbs (actually a little higher) and then I noticed a sound that I hadn't heard yesterday when I tested the pressure cooker.

There was a tiny bit of steam coming out of the side of the pressure cooker and a very slight sound. Hissing would be too loud and not accurate.  Instantly I turned off the heat to the pressure canner.

I am in the process of letting the pressure canner with pint jars full of chili cool down so I can open the canner and see what is wrong with the seal.

After I adjust the problem I will bring the canner up to pressure again and start over.

Love the learning process.

More later!

Dave
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidrstack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 12:19pm

Hello Again,

Well everything is fine with the pressure canner now.

I let the canner cool down and opened the lid and inspected the gasket. Since it is brand new and the correct size, I couldn't find any problem with it. Oh well, better to be safe than sorry. It is working just fine this second time around.

As I was inspecting the gasket, the lids started to seal, that familiar popping sound that the lids make when the jars have formed a vacuum. I didn't think that was a good idea seeing as how I was going to process the jars a second time so I went back to the store and bought additional tops. I emptied the contents of the pint jars back into the pot, heated the contents up again and washed everything and started over.

I have several observations and random thoughts.

1) I removed the air bubbles from the pint jars before adding the tops. When I removed the pint jars to check the gasket, I noticed that the contents of the jars had begun to boil and there were "boiling bubbles" in all the jars. Why do we remove the air bubbles when there will be boiling bubbles formed later?

2) Why do we sterilize the jars before we place them in the pressure canner when the jars and the jar's contents will be sterile when they are removed from the canner 1.25 hours later?

3) I am asked to place the filed and sealed jars in the pressure canner which has 2 to 3 inches of simmering water in the bottom. When all my jars are in the canner the water level in 3/4" from the top of the jars (pints). Is this too much water?

I have had the jars in the canner now for 35 minutes and the pressure canner is holding pressure just fine.  Actually the gauge has risen about 2 degrees since I started so I turned down the heat just a tad.  It is almost at the very lowest my range will go.  I have the gauge at 12.5 or approx. 245 degrees.

David

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidrstack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 12:43pm
Greetings:

Simple question - What do you all use for labels for the canning jars once they come out of the pressure canner?

I can't find any at the store where the jars are sold. I quess I could use shipping labels.

Dave
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 12:57pm
Hi Dave, I use my old avery labels too. Where I can I just write on the lids with a black or red marker, can't reuse them anyway...
Honeybee
lkay View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 1:08pm
That's what I do Honeybee, just use a Sharpie and write on the lid. May not be as fancy or pretty, but it gets the job done.

My mom always boiled the jars before canning, but never remember her sterilizing the jars in the oven. That's the only thing that bothers me about the method for canning the butter. You know how it is when your mother does something a certain way - you think that is the only way it can be done. Smile  I did read in the Ball Blue Book that boiling or using the dishwasher was the only way they recommended....so I'll put my jars in the dishwasher AND then in the over....may be overkill, but it makes me feel safer.  I suppose the reason for the over instead of boiling them is that you may get some water in with the butter???

Dave, you ask some very good questions. It does make you wonder, doesn't it. I suppose since you have to put a vacuum on the lids and all the air has to be removed, that removing as much air as possible before hand speeds the process???  just a guess.

Linda
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 1:33pm
Linda, good point.  Boil the jars first, and still put them in the oven, any water left will evaporate...

I don't think I will worry about the cakes so much, but it won't hurt to boil the jars, whats a few drops of water in a cake recipe? I bake the cakes at  350 for an hour.  Most recipes say 325, so I crank it, since 350 kills botulism - like you, its overkill, but it makes one more comfortable.
Honeybee
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 1:45pm

If found this interesting recipe - BUT I thought you could not can apples using waterbath method

- COMMENTS PLEASE! 

Honeybee
countrygal View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote countrygal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by honeybee honeybee wrote:

If found this interesting recipe - BUT I thought you could not can apples using waterbath method- COMMENTS PLEASE http://pierecipe.allrecipes.com/az/applepieinajar.as

I've been canning Apple Pie filling and also apple pie filling for fried pies for over 10 years, and I've always used the waterbath method!! Never have had a problem! I opened up a jar of filling for fried pies last weekend that was canned in 2004!!

One year, I did have a batch of applesauce to go bad but that was the first time and haven't had any to go bad since!!

honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 2:59pm

Thanks! 

What are fried pies?
Honeybee
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by davidrstack davidrstack wrote:

Hello Again,

Well everything is fine with the pressure canner now.

I let the canner cool down and opened the lid and inspected the gasket. Since it is brand new and the correct size, I couldn't find any problem with it. Oh well, better to be safe than sorry. It is working just fine this second time around.

As I was inspecting the gasket, the lids started to seal, that familiar popping sound that the lids make when the jars have formed a vacuum. I didn't think that was a good idea seeing as how I was going to process the jars a second time so I went back to the store and bought additional tops. I emptied the contents of the pint jars back into the pot, heated the contents up again and washed everything and started over.

I have several observations and random thoughts.

1) I removed the air bubbles from the pint jars before adding the tops. When I removed the pint jars to check the gasket, I noticed that the contents of the jars had begun to boil and there were "boiling bubbles" in all the jars. Why do we remove the air bubbles when there will be boiling bubbles formed later?

2) Why do we sterilize the jars before we place them in the pressure canner when the jars and the jar's contents will be sterile when they are removed from the canner 1.25 hours later?

3) I am asked to place the filed and sealed jars in the pressure canner which has 2 to 3 inches of simmering water in the bottom. When all my jars are in the canner the water level in 3/4" from the top of the jars (pints). Is this too much water?

I have had the jars in the canner now for 35 minutes and the pressure canner is holding pressure just fine.  Actually the gauge has risen about 2 degrees since I started so I turned down the heat just a tad.  It is almost at the very lowest my range will go.  I have the gauge at 12.5 or approx. 245 degrees.

David

Hi David,
On
1. The boiling action continues after the jars come out of the canner, but The oxygen will be gone when they seal.

2. You don't have to sterilize the jars going into the pressure canner, I wash and rinse mine in hot water prior to filling. For a waterbath you want the jars sterile going into it as the temps don't get as high.
(And the cleaner you keep everything the better the chance that you will always end up with great product safe to eat!)

3. Go by your manufacturers directions on the water, mine calls for 3 quarts. About 1/2 way up the jars when all are in the canner.

4. Even if your canner "holds" temp, NEVER trust it and walk away to do something else for a few minutes. That can be extremely dangerous. Mine tends to creep, I always keep a chair and a book in the kitchen until done.
I have made a bathroom run, but that is it. Jo
lkay View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 3:02pm

Oh goodness countrygal, your post brought back sweet memories. My grandmother use to make the best fried apple pies around. If your recipe isn't a family secret (like Bush's baked beans)would you mind posting it? I would love to can apple pie filling.

Honeybee, in the Ball Blue Book it states to precess apples (pints and quarts) for 20 minutes in a boiling water canner.

honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 3:47pm
Oh yes!  tell us how to make fried pies! I never heard of them!
The recipe I tripped across said to bathe them for 30, the apples went in and got cooked there I guess.

THANKS ALL!

About the canned butter...Is it supposed to taste the same as fresh butter? I tried my first jar today and I think I am the first here to say I didn't like it. Thought it tasted funny.  Only ate one bite.  Wonder if I did something wrong. They are all sealed good.

Thumbs Up Big smile Stopped at Salvation Army today to see what they had, found a lone box of quart sized Ball jars marked $1.79!  Twelve, all good.
Guess I will be making a lot of that apple pie  lol

Honeybee
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidrstack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 4:30pm
Joe,

Aren't you nice to respond to my post.

I didn't leave the kitchen while I was canning. I wasn't sure what would happen during the process so I was near by the entire time.

My gauge inched up while it was canning so I had to tweek the temp. down. The gauge nevere went below 11 or 12....

I did wash the jars and dipped the jars and lid in boiling water. I only asked the question as a random thought....  I think I would wash and boil the jars everytime to be SAFE! don't you agree.

David
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidrstack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 4:33pm
Greetings Fellow Canners,

Just to let you know that the chili recipe on this thread is very tasty. And it was easy to make.

I have 7 pint jars (recipe said 6) cooling and enough left over for dinner with the dear spouse who is the pickiest eater in the world and loved it.

It's a keeper.... and so is the spouse.

Dave

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote countrygal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 4:41pm
I'd be glad to post the recipe for fried apple pies. Do you need the entire recipe or just the pie filling?

I'll try to have it posted by in the morning!!
lkay View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 4:53pm

Thanks for letting us know about the chili Dave. I just got thru canning the butter. Little pings are filling the house right now.  It looks pretty, hope I like it better than Honeybee did. Smile Sorry yours didn't taste the way you thought it would Honeybee. I used Land o Lakes so I'll let you know when I taste it. I think I'll do the chili later this week....then if we get the recipe from countrygal for the fried pies, we'll have a mighty fine meal.

Honeybee, fried pies are when you prepare pastry dough in the shape of a circle then put your apple filling (or whatever kind of filling you prefer) on one side and fold the other side over, crimping the dough together with a fork (or fingers) and then fry in oil.  Ummm mmmmmm good.

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote countrygal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 5:01pm
    Fried Apple Pie Filling

1 gallon of apples, peeled and diced
4 cups sugar
1/2 cup white vinegar
cinnamon to taste

Mix all ingredients together in a large plastic bowl and let stand at room temp. for 8 hours. Then dump into a stockpot and cook over med-high heat until thick. Ladel into pint or quart jars. Process in a waterbath canner for 20 minutes.

I have used the stockpot (instead of the large plastic bowl) to let the mixture stand at room temp. and it turned out just fine!

Sorry, I can't remember how many pints or quarts a single recipe makes, but its not much! I'm thinking 3 or 4 quarts.

honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 5:35pm
I can't believe I went this far in life without ever making them! 

The sound amazing!

I read one recipe that simply said, "use biscuit, doughnut or pastry dough, cut the thickness to taste" then went on about the frying.  Maybe sprinkle with sugar after frying.

Wish I had apples tonight!  Tongue

Honeybee
lkay View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 5:41pm

Thanks countrygirl!  Another project I'll have to add to my list. Smile 

If you have time, I could use the dough recipe too.  I've always enjoyed fried apple pies from my grandmother and my mother, but I've never made them.  

2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by jo007athome jo007athome wrote:

1. The boiling action continues after the jars come out of the canner, but The oxygen will be gone when they seal.

Keep in mind that as the pressure drops, boiling temperatures also drop. At less than atmospheric pressure water boils below 212 F. So what you're seeing is a dropping boiling point as the temp goes down which reduces pressure which creates a vacuum.

High altitude cooking requires additional time and/or temps due to pressure less than sea level (14.7 psiga).

Survival does have an 'I'!

Dodging 'canes on Florida's central Gulf Coast
bellabecky View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellabecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 8:30pm

WooHoo! I am starting the canning today, late start! I only have canned once before and so am a little hesitant, but excited. I made mango chutney and it turned brown after about six months.

I'm gonna need help! On Sunday I went Strawberry picking and got 14lbs. I froze half and am going to attempt preserves with the rest.

Need experienced canner:
There is jam, jelly and preserves. Jams and Jelly's you have to refrigerate, but not preserves???? Right now I have the strawberries, sugar and lemon juice setting for an hour. Then I'm supposed to bring them to a boil and leave them to set for 24 hours. Then can. Does this sound right?

Okay, this book I'm using is soooo old that it suggests that I "Cook a batch daily while getting lunch during strawberry season." Right after that I guess I'll go on the porch and ring the bell so hubby can come in from the..uh, computer??

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellabecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 8:36pm

One more question. Whole chickens are really cheap here. I was thinking about buying some, cutting them, boiling them and the canning them in the broth. Has anyone done that? I see hamburger and beef cubes...sounds too advanced for me!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 4:33am
bellabecky,
I had some home canned chicken the other night in chicken & yellow rice. It was delcious! Canning chicken is (to me) more labor intensive than beef or pork.
With beef or pork, I cut into 2-3" cubes, throw in a shallow pan and put in 350 degree oven until I don't see pink (this has nothing to do with cooking the meat, it's preshrinking it so when I am done canning, I don't have a half a jar of meat.) and then jar it up and pressure can.
 I boil the chicken, de-bone it. Cool the broth and get rid of fat, then re-heat, put into jars with broth and pressure can.
Remember to get as much of the fat off as you can while de-boning them. Jo
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 4:51am
Originally posted by bellabecky bellabecky wrote:

Okay, this book I'm using is soooo old that it suggests that I "Cook a batch daily while getting lunch during strawberry season." Right after that I guess I'll go on the porch and ring the bell so hubby can come in from the..uh, computer??

bellabecky, My prized possesion is my cookbook (was my grandmothers), which goes back nearly to victorian times.
 It has comments in it that would sound strange to a woman of this day and age.
Back then a woman's whole life revolved around husband, children, household keeping (they didn't just take something out for dinner, dinner was usually prepared on a monthly menu before it ever got "made") and church.
What is the name of your cookbook, I'll bet it's got great recipes. Jo
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellabecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 6:42am

Jo,

I'm going to have to get through berry season and get some practice in. Maybe after I get a little experience I'll try something more difficult.

My cookbook is Farm Journal's Freezing & Canning Cookbook. Says "prized recipes from the Farms of America by the Food Editors of Farm Journal." And it is the "New Revised Edition", redone in 1963. It is hilarious, they have Orange Cinnamon Swirl bread that 'freezes well'. Tells to heat them to bring back the fresh-baked taste and come hither aroma. My mom gave them to me a long time ago and I haven't used them that much.

There are three books, they came in a set. Homemade Bread, "complete and up-to-date: all the new short-cut ways to make yeast breads. Plus great recipes for quick breads." And there is also 666 Ways to Make Vegetables Irresistible. Yup, no mistake '666' ways! I never noticed that before. Maybe I'll tear one of them out just in case! The bread and veggie books are newer, 1969 & 1970.

Do you know if preserves have to be refrigerated? If they do then I made the wrong one!

"IN THE BEGINNING OF A CHANGE THE PATRIOT IS A SCARCE MAN, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a patriot. Mark Twain, 1904
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 7:02am
Sounds like agret set of cookbooks! Mine is the modern encyclopedia of cooking by Meta Givens updated 1957.Shows you every thing from how to set a table, plan menus to how to "grade" eggs, beef, chicken etc. And how to can with pix!
Did you can your preserves in a water bath or just cook stove top? Jo
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellabecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 7:22am

It is a great set - minus the demonic veggie book!

The recipe had me mix strawberries & sugar and set for one hour. Next I had to boil for 10 minutes, stirring the whole time, add lemon juice & boil 3 more minutes. After that they set for 24 hours. Finally, can them. I have to do it today. I am going to use the pressure cooker. But this book says to freeze the jams right after cans cool off. Doesn't say to freeze the preserves? I did the preserves.   

I was just reading the section about canning meats. It says to kill the hog when your weatherman says: "Light frost tonight." Geez!   

"IN THE BEGINNING OF A CHANGE THE PATRIOT IS A SCARCE MAN, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a patriot. Mark Twain, 1904
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 10:11am
Originally posted by bellabecky bellabecky wrote:

It is a great set - minus the demonic veggie book!

The recipe had me mix strawberries & sugar and set for one hour. Next I had to boil for 10 minutes, stirring the whole time, add lemon juice & boil 3 more minutes. After that they set for 24 hours. Finally, can them. I have to do it today. I am going to use the pressure cooker. But this book says to freeze the jams right after cans cool off. Doesn't say to freeze the preserves? I did the preserves.   

I was just reading the section about canning meats. It says to kill the hog when your weatherman says: "Light frost tonight." Geez!   

I think your preserves are ok if you canned. The setting for 24 doesn't bother me because between the acid in the berries and the sugar.

(sugar doesn't host bacteria well, they used to pack infected open wounds with honey or sugar to clear the infection.)

There were other remedies including fly larvae, but I won't say that here!LOL)

Don't know why it wouldcall for freezing after they cool unless it is to help "set" them.
BTW, are you having a light frost tonight? LOL!
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidrstack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 11:06am
Greetings Home Canners:

I have a question I don't see in the book I own.

I roasted a beef roast with potatoes, onion and carrots. 

I am going to can meat separately from the vegetables.   Both loosely packed in the broth from cooking minus the fat. If I need to I will add additional stock I have canned.

No where do my books say how long to process potatoes and carrots. 

I think to be on the safe side I will process as long as I process the meat. 15 lbs pressure for 60 minutes.

Do you aggree?

Dave
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 11:49am
Dave,
I think (JMHO) that I would use raw veg and cover with broth. If you process cooked veg at 15 (10 is better) psi for 60 minutes you will have vegetable mush. Let me look it up (gotta call mom, my book is packed) and I'll tell you. Jo
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by jo007athome jo007athome wrote:

Dave,
I think (JMHO) that I would use raw veg and cover with broth. If you process cooked veg at 15 (10 is better) psi for 60 minutes you will have vegetable mush. Let me look it up (gotta call mom, my book is packed) and I'll tell you. Jo

Dave,

carrots, start raw cut as desired. barely cover with boiling water.boil 5 minutes for sliced/ 12-15 for whole and pack hot into hot boiled jars. add dash of salt. cover 3/4 of jar with liquid. pints-process in canner with 10 lbs pressure for 40 minutes.quarts-45 minutes.

potatos are not recommended for canning, but if you do try them, I would try them whole (same method as carrots) & process for about 10 minutes at 10 lbs.

onions, I would put them in with the meat.

hope this helps, Jo

Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidrstack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 12:40pm
Greetings:

Yes, I think you are correct.

The situation here is that I am trying to please several people with the type of food I am canning AND that they will eat in case of an emergency. I grew up poor and hungry so I will eat anything. As long as it hasn't been on the kitchen floor longer than 5 seconds it's good to go!. haha

My family has talked about the types of food they like plus want to eat. Vegetables were right up there with beef, chicken and pork not to mention the chili and saghetti sauce.

I will blanche some carrotts and can them and put the onions in with the beef and now what do I do with the potatoes?

Oh, well...... good try Dave...

David
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 1:14pm
Dave,

I don't know if it will be your cup of tea, but this is my plan.  Canned vegetables from the grocery store are cheap enough to buy in bulk, so thats how I'm doing my veg for the most part.
 I learned to can because with the exception of tuna, canned meats are just too expensive. I can get beef on sale (whole 15-18 lb chunks) for 1.18 to 1.39 a lb and process myself.
Chicken is cheaper still at .19 to .29 per lb. Pork is also in my to do list,but if I only got chicken and beef before TSHTF, that is mostly what we eat anyway. 
So, I can meats to store for prosperity Wink I hope. Jo
prosperity
A noun
prosperity, successfulness
  the condition of prospering; having good fortune
Category Tree:
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote countrygal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by countrygal countrygal wrote:

Fried Apple Pie Filling

1 gallon of apples, peeled and diced
4 cups sugar
1/2 cup white vinegar
cinnamon to taste

Mix all ingredients together in a large plastic bowl and let stand at room temp. for 8 hours. Then dump into a stockpot and cook over med-high heat until thick. Ladel into pint or quart jars. Process in a waterbath canner for 20 minutes.

I have used the stockpot (instead of the large plastic bowl) to let the mixture stand at room temp. and it turned out just fine!

Sorry, I can't remember how many pints or quarts a single recipe makes, but its not much! I'm thinking 3 or 4 quarts.

Dough:
5 1/2 cups self rising flour
2/3 cup shortening
Mix these two ingredients until it resembles cornmeal
add 1 cup milk, (I use 2%)
Mix together until moist. (the more you mix the dough the tougher the crust will be!...this is not a good thing!!) Roll out onto a well floured surface. as thin as you can without tearing it!! I use a dessert plate as a pattern to cut out the shape/size.
Spoon some pie filling onto half of the dough, fold over and seal edges with your fingers or a fork. I use an electric skillet with enough oil to cover 1/2 of the pies. Fry until lightly brown and flip and fry the other side.

HoosierMom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoosierMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 5:41pm
Dav  could you dehydrate your pot. or buy pot flakes to thicken your stew or have them on the side?....oooh i have used a beef stew carrots, onion, celery, beef and poured it over rice.  Hope this helped.
lkay View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 6:00pm

Dave, I grew up on canned potatoes!  My mom would can them with string beans. They were awesome....but I checked with the Ball Blue Book of Perserving to see if they had a recipe for canning potatoes. This is it:

Potatoes - White or Irish

2 to 3 lbs potatoes per quart, salt (optional), water:

Wash potatoes, drain. Peel potatoes. Wash again. Leave small potatoes whole, cut large potatoes into quarters. Cover potatoes with water in a large saucepot. Boil 10 minutes. Drain. Pack hot potatoes into hot jars, leaving 1 inch headspace. Add 1/2 teaspoons salt to each pint jar, 1 teaspoon salt to each quart jar. Ladle boiling water over potatoes, leaving 1 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust two piece caps. Process pints 35 minutes, quarts 40 minutes, at 10 pounds pressure in a steam pressure canner.

I plan on canning lots and lots of potatoes because that is my daughters favorite thing to eat! Wink

Thanks country girl for the recipe! Smile
lkay View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 6:01pm
oops.....countrygal
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellabecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 6:30pm

I've never canned potatoes, but my book is adament that they are HOT PACK ONLY.

It says to cube (1/2"), blanch 2 minutes, pack hot within 1" of jar top. Add salt (1/2tsp pints-1tsp qt), cover with boiling water (or broth), leave 1" head space. 10lbs pressure, pints 35 minutes - quarts 40 minutes.

Almost identical to ikays directions.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2006 at 10:12pm
Have 35 qts of canned potatoes in my pantry., hope to increase to 100 qts. Use the ball blue book instructions, per Ikay's post. Remember you can use for potato soup, clam chowder, hash browns, etc.
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidrstack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 6:41am
Greetings:

Thank you ALL for your replies.  I feel much better now.

I over processed the potatoes. HaHa... 60 minutes at 10 lbs.

I canned 7 pints of butter and 9 pints of beef yesterday.

I have 6 pints of pork loin in the canner as I type. I baked pork chunk until pink was gone and put in pints jars with a little (very little) salt and poured boiling stock over them and sealed. The jars and lids were sterilized before they were packed.

I have Pork shoulder (Boston Butt as some call it) in oven as we speak.  I will be canning that this afternoon.

Everyday I will be canning other meats.

Dave
lkay View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 7:01am

Wow Dave, you're a busy man!  I know that wife of yours (which is a keeper) must feel the same way about you!

I feel so far behind! Smile  Hubby and I are suppose to pick tomatoes this weekend. They have them $4 for a 5 gal bucket, so we'll be putting up tomatoes Saturday.  The other day we took peas from the freeze (to make more room in there) and thawed the peas and then canned them. We tried them a couple weeks ago and they were very good!  We also did the same thing with vension steak and hamburger. They both turned out delicious. I quick fried the steak, made gravy and put the gravy and more water in the jars. What's so great about this is, by the time you cook your rice, your meal is done...of course I had to cook hot water bread (my hubby's favorite) to go with it. 
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellabecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 7:46am

WOW! I was feeling good about my 1.5 pints of strawberry preserves I finished canning today! I gotta get busy.

I got a bunch of strawberries frozen. I'm freezing complete precooked meals, fruit, juice, butter, etc, and will use them first. I'm hoping electricity will last at least a month in case of a crisis.

I am going to get more strawberries and can them now that I've done my testers. I've only canned once and it wasn't completely successful. But now I have a pressure cooker and it seems to work better then the boiling bath method. Marion berries are ready here too.

I'm gonna try potatoes and meat, you are all such an inspiration!!

lkay View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 8:16am
LOL bellabecky!  I know what you mean!!  I laughed when I read your post, I hope you don't mind, but something about 1.5 pints and then seeing that little cute monkey reading that book....well, thanks for the laugh!  It felt good! LOL   Don't you just hate when you run out of food before you can fill that jar up!  lol
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidrstack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 12:06pm

Mary,

I know you have been canning for 30 years.

I have read on this site about fat going rancid when you can so try to avoid fat when canning.  I know that some fat can't help but be included when you can meat . When you cook beef or pork you will get some fat no matter how lean the meat is.

I have cooked and am canning pork shoulder (Boston Butt) which is naturally fatty which is why it is perfect food for slow cooking barbeque.  A great deal of fat has come off the meat during the roasting process either in liquid form or solid form which was left on the meat after roasting and which I have discarded.

Question: The meat in the canning jars is still naturally fatty. Do I go ahead and can the meat? I plan on adding boiling stock to the meat before sealing and canning the meat. Or should I do something else with the meat like boil (I hope not) to render more fat out of the meat.

I plan on processing the meat at 15 lbs for 60 minutes.

Dave

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic