Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

HOME CANNING

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamclose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2006 at 11:58am

Strawberry Fig Preserves

3 cups of mashed figs

1 -  6 ounce jello strawberry flavored

3 cups sugar

Mix all ingredients together and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.  Place in sterlized canning jars and process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes. 

You may use any flavor jello.  I have tried cherry, strawberry, apricot, peach and raspberry.  By far raspberry is the best to me. 

honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2006 at 12:15pm
sounds great!  Now we have to figure out how to make Newtons out of them!
Honeybee
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2006 at 1:20pm
Mary, the subject of canning water brings up another thought.

Being that I am new to canning and am just about to buy a pressure canner...

I have read a lot of advice about canning soups.  Which pretty much boils down to (excuse the pun lol) saying do not put your noodles or rice in until you are heating it to eat.  Others suggest that you put long grain rice in uncooked.

My husband makes a mean hamburger soup that includes elbow noodles which I plan to can.  I also think it will change the flavor of the noodles being that I am not simmering them in the soup while being made.

With all this concern over water being available, I was deciding what to do.  I have an idea that I haven't seen out there and wonder if there is a reason not to do this.

I am considering canning the soup stock (hamburger and vegtables) packed into the jars with as little liquid as needed.  Then can the left over broth.  I can use the broth to boil the noodles and then pour a jar of the mixture in to heat up.

Sounds real good in theory - why aren't people doing that now???
Honeybee
iamclose View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamclose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2006 at 3:21pm
I know this is not exactly a canning question but does anyone have any good dehydrating recipes to share.  I have dehydrated cantalope, honey dew, apple slices and banana slices dipped in honey.  I have made one making of beef jerky.  Any other suggestions?  Has anyone ever done peaches and if so what did you do to them?  Thanks in advance for any information.  I have a diabetic son and am tryiny to come up with snacks for him in case of TSHTF. 
iamclose View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamclose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2006 at 3:24pm
One other question can you use a pressure canner on a flat surface cook top?  I had heard this was a no-no.  I have been using my water bath canner but was afraid to buy a pressure canner. 
lkay View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2006 at 5:31am
Iamclose, I found this on the internet....thought you might be interested.

Fruit Drying Guide

All fruit should be washed,pitted and sliced. Arrange in single layers on trays. Dry fruit at 135 degrees Fahrenheit. You may wish to pretreat your fruit with lemon juice or ascorbic acid or it won't darken while you are preparing it for drying. Just slice the fruit into the solution and soak for 5 minutes.

• Apples:Peel, core and slice into 3/8-inch rings, or cut into 1/4-inch slices. Pretreat and dry 6-12 hours until pliable.

• Apricots: Cut in half and turn inside out to dry. Pretreat and dry 8-20 hours until pliable.

• Bananas: Peel, cut into 1/4-inch slices and pretreat. Dry 8-16 hours until plialbe or almost crisp.

• Blueberries: Dry 10-20 hours until leathery.

• Cherries: Cut in half and dry 18-26 hours until leathery and slightly sticky.

• Peaches: Peel, halve or quarter. Pretreat and dry 6-20 hours until pliable.

• Pears: Peel, cut into 1/4-inch slices, and pretreat. Dry 6-20 hours until leathery.

• Pineapple: Core and slice 1/4-inch thick. Dry 6-16 hours until leathery and not sticky.

• Strawberries: Halve or cut into 1/4-inch thick slices. Dry 6-16 hours until pliable and almost crisp

I'm not sure about the pressure canner question.  All I have ever cooked with is gas, but my dad has a electric flat top and I know he uses his pressure cooker on it.

Honeybee, do you think your hubby would mind if you shared that soup recipe. I love soup!! and that sounds like a good one.  I just canned 14 quarts of tomato-vegetable soup but I used stew meat instead of hamburger. I have lots of frozen hamburger meat that needs to be canned in something. Smile

I have never thought about your idea of canning water....hmmmm  I know the Ball Blue Book of Perserving has broth recipes so your idea of canning the broth sounds like a good one. If you don't have that book, I could check with it and see what it says about broth.

Linda
lkay View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2006 at 5:38am
I decided to post the link about the dehydrating because it has some recipes using dryed foods and then several links at the bottom about canning.

iamclose View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamclose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2006 at 8:33am
Thanks lkay for the information. 
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 3:39pm
CANNED MEATLOAF !!!

That did it; tonight I order the pressure canner...

"One of my favorite ways to can meats is to make meat loaf and shape it into loaves that fit inside wide-mouth canning jars. Place the loaves into hot jars; cover with boiling water to 1" of headspace (you can also use broth or tomato juice); process at 10lbs pressure for 90 minutes (75 minutes for pints). I can open a jar; slice; and heat in the microwave, oven, or stovetop to have a main dish on the table in minutes. Keep in mind that some meatloaf ingredients expand (oatmeal, rice), so I generally use bread crumbs as filler in meatloaf that I'm canning."

Honeybee
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 7:08pm
IKAY

Certainly - I will get the recipe for you.  I don't know what it is about it, nothing strange in it; but whenever I would take it to work, people would walk past me, stop, come back and ask what they are smelling.  I just say plain old hamburger soup.  lol

I do remember that its the "mans version"; so you might feel some changes are required. (he just throws in a frozed box of mixed vegtables) (he also has switched to onion powder, so I don't know what he has written down.)

Did you see that message I left above? The lady makes meatloaf in her pressure canner.  I am assuming she shoves the loaf in raw, right???  If so, I need to use very lean meat, right?   I am thinking, then sloppy joe mixture would be good too.

Please let me know if there are any special things I should do to can the broth and/or water.  Only thing I can think of is to let the soup cool so I can peel off the fat on top. 

Sorry I took so long to get back. I don't dry food, so skipped over your message before.  My apologies! 

Honeybee
Iron Mommy View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iron Mommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 5:28am
ABOUT DEHYDRATING FOOD:

You can find great recipes for home-dehydrated meals in a book called "Lipsmackin' Backpackin'"--I have eaten many of these and they are great!

lkay View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 7:35am
Honeybee, I'm at work now, but I'll make myself a note to look in my Ball book and see what it says about canning broth.  I'll also check to see about meatloaf. I know I canned venison hamburger meat (which has much less fat than beef). I'll get the recipe for canning hamburger meat. I know it gave several ingredients to use which I think would be very close to meatloaf. Like you mentioned, skimming most of the fat off seems to make the chances of spoilage much less. My dad and myself canned steak a while back. We even quick fried it in a little olive oil with some flour on the steak. By the time it processed, the water in the jars had made gravy with the flour and it was delicious.  I do know if you want to can stew meat it "looks" much better if you precook it just a little than if you cold pack it. Our meat tasted great, but it sorta looked like Alpo. Smile

Iron Mommy - that sounds like another book I would like to have.
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 9:25am
hi IKAY!

Don't worry about the beef stew. I still hold that some things are better left to the masters - and I adore Dinty Moore Beef Stew - have stocked up on that.

I am however, a true lover of meatloaf...

MY DH'S HAMBURGER SOUP RECIPE:

2 lbs of hamburger
1/2 cup chopped onion

Brown these in a stock pot.

Add:
2 cans (14.5 oz) of Italian Stewed Tomatoes
1 can (16 oz) mixed vegtables (drained)
3 cans of beef broth (10.5 oz) (buy an extra one incase the noodles soak it up)
1 teaspoon of dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of pepper (DH uses white pepper)
BRING TO A BOIL

(probably best to can what you have done at this point)

recipe goes on to say, add 1 cup uncooked medium egg noodles (dh uses elbows) then simmer 10-15 minutes until noodles are done.

Please let me know what you think of it - everyone I know who has tried it really enjoys it.

ps:  made myself hungry typing this.  After posting this I went to the store and got what I needed...lol

Editing it again!!!  --  DH just told me 2 things: First, keep stirring the burger, you want it small and crumbly; Second, he then puts the hamburger in a strainer and rinses out all the fat before making the soup. Which is good if I want to can it.  hmmmm, maybe that has been his secret...
Honeybee
lkay View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 11:15am
Thanks honeybee!  Sounds great!  I may try it this weekend. I so love soups and stews!

I didn't find a recipe for meatloaf in my Ball Book, but did find one for Seonsoned Ground Beef. You brown the meat first so it wouldn't look like meatloaf. If you are interested in it, i'll be glad to type it up for ya. Also found one for meat sauce that sounds pretty good.  I didn't find a broth recipe for canning but found a Beef Stock, Chicken Stock, and Vegetable Stock recipe. Wasn't sure if that would be of interest to you, but if it is, be glad to type those as well.

I'm thinking I may need to run by the grocery store to pick of ingredients for your hubby's soup. I have never used white pepper beforeSmile I sure don't want to substitute anything, might change the taste.  Isn't it nice to have a man that will cook!
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 11:32am
DH did a recipe once that called for white pepper.  He decided he liked the way it flavored things better, so now he tends to use that in everything and save the black pepper for the table. 

I made a pot this morning. I put in a cup of small shells because - they were there  lol.  They are thinner than elbows so I got to just bring it to a boil, take it off the heat, stir in the shells, cover and let it sit.  They work nice, they kind of "grab things"; a veggie or piece of meat or onion ends up inside them.

I remembered the first time he cooked it.  I took one whiff and thought, I hope there are tums in the house  LOL.  One of those strange foods that smell like its too spicey, but doesn't bother you at all.

I have a person coming tomorrow to eat; he is a big eater, so I had to think how to turn this soup into a meal.  I am going to serve grilled cheese to him with it. That should work...

Honeybee
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 10:25am
I just found a copy of BALL BLUE BOOK OF PRESERVING, for $4.95 and $1.00 shipping.

I found it here, at homecanning.com

http://www.homecanning.com/USA/ALProducts.asp?CAT=479&P=1472

Honeybee
MissNutty View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissNutty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 6:45pm
I am new to this forum.  I have never posted before.  I am an avid canner of beef and chicken.  I have been doing this for several years.  I find the meat to be very rewarding, and handy.  My question is, has anyone ever canned ham?  Ham is the one thing  I would like to have in my pantry but I have never known anyone who has done it or knows how to do it. Purchased ham in a can isn't my first choice.  Anyone out there canned ham?
Work hard, laugh much, live long.
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 7:00pm
Welcome MissNutty!

Unfortunately, I am new to canning so cannot help you. 

In fact, I ordered my pressure cooker just this morning, along with the blue book.  I have waterbath canned before, and have been canning quick bread recipes, so I am not totally nieve.

Since you can meat, I thought you might give me your opinion on something.

Do you raw pack your meat, or par cook it?  The sites with the recipes seem to think its tastier that way; but of course they must follow up with the warning and instructions that the USDA does not recommend raw packing meat, and its better to cook it first.

I have seen recipes for canning meatloaf.  I hope to make my own meatloaf recipe; I know not to use rice, oats, etc; just breadcrumbs, so they don't expand while cooking.

Thank you so much for you two cents on this subject!

Honeybee
MissNutty View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissNutty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2006 at 8:49am

honeybee,

I par cook my beef.  I add my spices and cook it for 8 to 10 minutes.  When I put ground beef in the jar raw, it's a big lump and I have to dig it out with a spoon.  When I cook my ground beef, I usually put about 4 or 5 pounds in a big pot, add spices and let it simmer.  I use a potato masher to break it up.  It's fast and easy.  I pack my chicken raw.  I have always done it that way, and  have never had any trouble with it.  It is delicious and lots more flavorful than the canned chicken from the store. 

The meatloaf sounds interesting.  I have never heard of that!  I still might try doing ham just for fun.  We have an extension service that is very helpful in this area.  I could give them a call.

Thanks for the welcome.
Work hard, laugh much, live long.
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2006 at 10:59pm
 I came across this recipe tonight:

Sun Pickles

l cup vinegar

3 cups water

1 large head of dill

5 cloves of garlic

1/4 cup salt

hot peppers to taste

small whole cucumbers (I have also used sliced cucumbers)

1.      Mix salt, vinegar and water together until salt is dissolved.

2.      Place small whole cucumbers in a gallon jar along with head of dill, garlic cloves, hot peppers.

3.      Pour liquid over pickles, screw lid on tight and place jar in the sun for seven days.

4.      Be sure and shake the jar each day.

Notes:
You can also use mustard seed, pepper corns, grape leaves, onion etc.
Let your imagination go wild.
I keep these in the basement till need to use.

Stores very well there.

The "notes" are the authors, not mine... 
Honeybee
lkay View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2006 at 7:09am

Welcome Miss Nutty.  I have thought about canning chicken myself because the store bought leaves alot to be desired. I was wondering what you used with your chicken when you canned it to make it delicious? Smile

Interesting recipe Honeybee. Nice since it's solar power! Smile
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2006 at 7:31am
See Miss Nutty?  You ask one question and we all start picking your brain  LOL

Honeybee
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2006 at 2:54pm
Hi again Miss Nutty,

My electric pressure cooker/canner just arrived, it's a Nesco 10 quart.

I see in the booklet that they mention canning ham, as well as other meats.  Here is what it says:

All meat and fish should be cooked and cleaned before canning.

Pork Chops, Ham
Fry meat until brown. 
Add salt. (in another place they say all references to salt is optional).
Pack meat.
Fill with liquid to within 1 inch from top.
Adjust lids.

Process pints for 75 minutes, quarts for 90 minutes at 10 pounds pressure.  (altitudes of 1000-3000 feet use 15 lbs of pressure)

Honeybee
Never2late View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Never2late Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 7:46pm
    I was cleaning out my grandmother's cellar and there were a number of canned quarts of chicken that were at least 20 years old...it looked perfect and being young and dumb at the time I opened a jar and ate a piece...tasted perfect. There was also a 20 gallon crock that was full of lard. There was a thin crust on top of it but the rest looked perfect...did not taste that.
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2006 at 7:22pm
Found this tidbit while searching for canning recipes:

Its a method of canning cheddar cheese... 

I just got a pressure cooker/canner, so any comments/information on this recipe would be welcome.

Honeybee
roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2006 at 10:36am
 hi to all,  I can with my sister and this year I want to make ketchsup. but it looks like I need to use alot of tomatoes, and do alot of work for a few bottles. any body else try this, or do this, do you like the taste after all the effort? thanks in avance roxy
Hotair View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2006 at 12:45pm
Hello everyone,
I started talking about this on another thread but I would like to can my spaghetti sauce. It has both sausage and hamburger in it. Do you think it would be safe? Do I need a pressure cooker? Thanks!
Hotair View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2006 at 3:04pm
You know what? I just answered my own question and orded a pressure canner and the Bell cookbook. Boy, is this gonna be fun!  
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2006 at 6:48pm
good luck hotair!

I just bought my first one last month too. So far I canned a soup with meat in it.  Turned out good.  I will be doing more as I make soups and chilie this fall.

Honeybee
Hotair View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2006 at 2:33pm
Thats a great idea honeybee. I will just double whatever I  make during the fall and winter. I have also been wanting to can some peaches before they are not in season anymore. I LOVE stews and soups. I have a great recipe for lentil soup with feta cheese,sausage and mint. Oh, then there is that Jambalaya.....I am just going to can what we normally eat--our favorites. Don't you think they would be O.K. to eat even beyond a year? 
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2006 at 2:40pm
Wow!  I only have a few basic soups I make.  I am too new to canning, but I would check with people about some of them, all those interesting ingredients - make sure they are ok to can lol.

I have a hamburger soup recipe I have done, and plan to make borscht soon.

As far as I understand, they are good for a couple of years or more.

One good thing about canning your favorties is that you probably won't need them that long, since you eat them, you can rotate them.  The 8 pints of soup I made for prep is already gone - its a favorite  lol.

Honeybee
Hotair View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2006 at 3:11pm
That is why I also bought the Ball book of canning so that I don't poison everyone. That hamburger soup recipe sounds great! I copied it and will use it this winter.What did you decide about the noodles?
crystal View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crystal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2006 at 9:33am
    I canned for the first time last week with a friend who knew what she was doing. However, if there are still air bubbles after the cans have sealed is this ok? I canned tomatoes and peach salsa and the coloring is still good. Thanks for any advice from you experts out there...
peace
Rocky View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2006 at 11:27am
hi there, they should be OK. After 24 hours did you tap the lids to make sure they are depressed ?

If you don' have one, get an inexpensive plastic spatula to go around the inside of the jar carefully, making sure all the air bubbles are out before putting on lids. That should take care of the air bubble problem. It could be that some of the fruit at the top might not be covered with liquid. They might brown a little with time, but should be OK to eat. You can eat those first if you want. Rocky

Originally posted by crystal crystal wrote:

I canned for the first time last week with a friend who knew what she was doing. However, if there are still air bubbles after the cans have sealed is this ok? I canned tomatoes and peach salsa and the coloring is still good. Thanks for any advice from you experts out there...

Prepare for the Unexpected!
Rocky
http://www.homeemergencyusa.com
crystal View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crystal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2006 at 2:39pm
Thanks Rocky - I did use a plastic spatula to try and get all the air out. I suppose it's impossible to get it ALL out though. I'll check to see if the lids are depressed.
peace
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2006 at 11:31am
I just canned pears and there brown...Yuck...I did soak them in a lemon bath after I pealed the cored them...

Can someone tell me what I did wrong..It's alot of work for them to look ugly...

roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2006 at 3:37pm
 hi HC, do you have the Ball home canning book???, in the back of it has a list of what  can go wrong,and why. if you don't post back and I will look it up,any fruit that i do ,as iI peel I put each one right away in the lemon/water bath. was the fruit the freshest you could get? old fruit is already breaking down, and will turn brown, also did you use enough lemon juice?  roxy
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2006 at 6:00am
Roxy God bless your soul...

I did use fresh fruit but...a couple of them were juicey...So maybe I should have stuck to the really hard pears..I did use lemon 2 tbl per gallon.

I'm about to can chopped meat.  I'm terrified...

Also would like to do homemade soup and stews.

Here my problem

I have a Mirco ...The thermometer is the old fashion one that rocks..It's metal...You don't read the thermometer you listen to the rocking..

It take over 1 hour just to get the pressure thingy to rock and in the mean time the pressure cooker leak water all over the stove...I can hear the water boiling...It has a new gasket on it...

The gasket doesn't fit tight. It just lays on the rim of the top...It's hard to close so I figure it's got a good seal..

I guess I'm looking for reassurance..

No have haven't got the ball book I bought one of the other books that  was recommended here on this site.
honeybee View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2006 at 7:37am
hi,
I only began pressure canning this summer so cannot compare products; but I can tell you what I use, as I am very happy with it.

I purchased an electric pressure cooker/canner from Nesco.  I bought the small size, 10 quart, because there are only two of us, and I am canning on a smaller scale.

It uses the rocker instead of a guage. I set it up, close it, turn the electric temp to 350 until it starts rocking, then reduce it to 250 and time it. The rocker tells me it is maintaining the temp right.

I have been very pleased with it the few times I have used it so far. It was about $110 on the internet.

Good Luck
Honeybee
lkay View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2006 at 8:51am
HC, the Ball book is usually at Walmart and I think only about $5. Worth every cent! Like Roxy said, it gives you so much information on what to do and how to do it. I love it!  I was raised up with my mom canning, but never did it "all by myself" until this year. She had the pressure cooker like you are using.  Sometimes the metal rocker wouldn't start jiggling when it was suppose too. It can be nerve wracking at times. Ive said it before on here I think, but never use any jars that are not Mason jars. The only mishap I had was one breaking while I was taking it from stove to table. Scared me, made a mess, but I was lucky that I didn't get burned to bad. I won't be using another non mason jar again.

Hey honeybee!  Glad to see you!

Have a great weekend!  and Happy Canning.
roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2006 at 10:29am
hi to all, the only time i canned pears, they were hard fresh from a tree, and did them in a light syrup, and I always add more lemon then recommended. apples always turn brown edge no matter how much lemon I use,but since I only make cranberry sauce applesauce,and pie filling ,jams,lately, you don't see the brown. pressure canning , I can;t advise you on, I.m too "chicken" and good luck to you all on that.I have a brand new one never have tried, and also I really haven't had the time. I think I might try it when the price of meat goes down . I have a big freezer and use the canning jars for freezing stock and soups and sauce ,tomatoes, ect.   Happy Camper, what kind of water do you Have???Ball book:to prevent foods from becoming brown ,black or grey, use soft water,avoid useing,brass,copper,iron,aluminum,zinc,or chipped enamel ware utensilsfrom which the tin plate is warn ,,, hope this helps, we use stainlees steel pots and plastic or pottery bowels       good luck, I know it's alot of work, and all day job ,,,,,roxy
Hotair View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2006 at 12:34pm
In the book that came with my pressure canner, it said to soak the peaches and potatoes  in ascorbic acid- 1 tsp. per gallon of water. My peaches turned out great-- haven't done my potatoes yet. It says nothing about a lemon bath but maybe it is essentially the same thing? Ascorbic acid is in powder form at local supermarkets. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2006 at 3:13pm

I using an aluminum pot and ceramic bowls...I dont' know what ascorbic acid is but maybe I should find out...

Still working up the nerve to do meats....I'm going to get that ball book...Maybe it's in laymens words...

Hotair View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2006 at 3:45pm
HC, I was afraid to do meats in the beginning too. My pressure canner seems like it is alive when it is going!I have trouble keeping my psi at a constant rate so I literally have to check it and adjust the flame every 3-4 minutes. My cat gets very annoyed with me when I do this in the evening as he gets knocked off my lap that often. It is also hard to find 2-3 uninterrupted hours to can as I can't leave the cooker. However, I love looking at my quarts of meat and sauce. It really gives me a sense of accomplishment and security. Good luck!
lkay View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2006 at 4:29pm
Hotair, about your potatoes, did you grow them or getting them at the store. My daughter's favorite thing to eat is potatoes and I would really like to have several canned.  So true about the time involved!  I tried to sit down the last time I canned and wore myself out! up...down...up...down. It is something you really have to pay close attention too.  It's work alright, but it's neat looking at all that food that is cooked and all you have to do is open a jar.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
  Share Topic