Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Do’s & Don’t of Part. Masks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do’s & Don’t of Part. Masks
    Posted: January 25 2006 at 9:13am
Do buy a N95, N99, N100 mask.
Don't buy a surgical mask unless you plan on doing surgery. These masks are designed to protect the PATIENT from the health care worker's germs, not the opposite. They do not fit snuggly against one's cheeks, therefore they are useless. Their holes are 50 times {Approx.} the size of a N95. Virus is a tiny fraction of the size of bacteria.
Don't fold, bend, crease a mask. This causes a long hole, allowing virus in. If I was in this situation with no other mask available I would tape the fold on the outside.
Don't touch the outside of the mask with bare hands once you've worn it in public. When removing always use gloves. After use, hang indoors, away from humans, for three days before reuse. Bagging it is fine.
Don't reuse if mask becomes soiled, fluids.
Don't wear goggles if they interfere with mask, get smaller goggles. Goggles need to be air tight if effective, tape holes on side of goggles if you've purchased standard protective goggles.
Don't wear a mask with a beard. This will interfere with seal. The beard's gotta go.
Rubber bands go on upper head and upper neck area.
I can't find a suitable/well fitted mask for my 12 year old so if she must go outside I will completely tape the perimeter,{rim} of the mask securely to her face.
Store mask in a cool, dry place, not in sunlight as this will break down the material. {Second law of science, thermodynamics}
I find that masks don't fit as snuggly as I would like, the top, sides of the nose bridge area seems a tiny bit loose, even after I have adjusted the metal band, so I will tape the nose bridge area with a bandaid or paper tape, .....call me paranoid. : )

Please add or refute.
Mary Kay RN
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 9:23am

Thanks Mary, such helpful information. I was wondering about the possibility of re-using masks. You are so appreciated. Thanks so much for clearing that up. I fear that we will have short supply as things progress.

Regarding the smaller size N95 masks, 3M manufactures a N95 Mask model 8110 which is smaller in size compared to the 8210.

http://superflutalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=796&PN=1& ;get=last#5118

Deej View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 9:26am

is there any household cloth or material that can be used  to make a mask in a pinch

dee
AuntBones View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuntBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 10:24am
Thanks so much Mary Kay !! I have white surgical tape on hand here and was thinking of add it around my mask, glad to know this will help. Mary Kay again thanks for all your help and time spent posting. 
AnitaRNpulmo View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnitaRNpulmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 10:54am
Sealing of the mask with goggles is always a concern; tape is rather used to seal gloves to a suit, and the suit to a mask (rubber one).
the goggles must not interfere with the mask, but tend to be foggy.
disposable masks should be discarded when used, other must be wiped/sprayed.
shortage of masks, leakage, problems with goggles, cleaning ... all these problems are solved with a full face mask ...

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 10:57am

Anita, are you recommending against hanging the 3M masks for 3 days?

(I still have not had coffee yet, forgive me for being a little dense this morning)

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnitaRNpulmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 11:14am
Yes you will extend the straps and its betterto stock if not worn in an infected place; if worn in an infected one, discard.
Boozy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boozy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 11:51am

i just sent my order n 4 the most u can get.......................

i should have them but the 1 of feb

i'm soory 4 what i've did and 2 say i love everybody n the world............

make your peace now with people u love or know
Rocky View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 8:40pm
Hi friends,

I was under the impression that it was very important to discard
your mask if used when treating an ill patient. This means a new mask
everytime you go out and then in again to the room where the patient is.
This means one must have many more masks on hand than most
anticipate. Any flaw in this reasoning? I don't think there is any way to "air
them out" for 3 days and then use them again or any way to disinfect
them. Sure wish there was. Guess that is why they are called disposable,
even tho' the price doesn't reflect that. Having say 10 on hand isn't going
to mean squat, is it? And when people appear to be buying industrial
masks I shudder. The particles that must be kept away are so tiny that i
wonder if these masks will do any good at all. I am glad some of you have
spoken against the danger of so-call 'surgical' masks. As I understand it,
they are just worn as a gesture of politeness to others, but don't do a
darn thing to protect the wearer or keep possible flu particles "inside" the
mask.

Is it recommended that everyone staying in the same house IF there is an
infected person being treated, to wear their masks 24/7? Googles, gloves
also? Just doesn't seem do-able at all does it?

What if no one is showing any symptoms. Are people in the house OK
without masks, gloves, goggles. How about outdoors in the country (no
people around, but dogs would be around)

Still am struggling with these questions. Thanks for your ideas, so much
to think about. I would sure like more people to weigh in on these
questions. Perhaps dogs needing to be crated away from each other.
Someone has to care for them outdoors (food, water, walking, at least)

5 or more people in a small house for many months, not going outside. I
just don't see it as a possibility, do you?

Rocky ... getting more worried every day. Can't see how we can make
this work if the worst does happen.
Prepare for the Unexpected!
Rocky
http://www.homeemergencyusa.com
swankyc View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swankyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 9:04pm

Originally posted by Mary Kay Mary Kay wrote:

Don't wear a mask with a beard. This will interfere with seal. The beard's gotta go.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I'm not afraid, I'm paranoid. Dont talk too loud, they are listening.
Deej View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 7:07am
can anyone answer my question--- is there any household  cloth or substance  that can be used to create a mask in a pinch ?
dee
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 8:17am
Deej after watching the Oprah show and Dr.O being on..he says no...I am a proffesional semsress and I was going to sew us some up..from flannelette..and that was only if we(or I had to go out)..but from what he was saying the particals are so tiny, that they can get through regular material..and also your regular material does not fit snug around your face and leaves spaces where particals can get in..just my take on this
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnitaRNpulmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 8:37am
You can make easily cloth (gauze) masks, traditional surgical ones, useful only only bg damp droplets. or the other efficent filtration masks, forget.
Maybe you can use the HEAP tissues, but it will be difficult to make a mask with perfect fit
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 9:04pm

Deej to answer your question, about being able to make an effective homemade protective mask, the answer is a resounding no.

An N95 mask blocks approx. 95% of particles that are 0.3 microns in size or larger.

I can't image anything in my home that is that dense.

My free advice, : ) Skip the homemade masks and purchase the N95's to confidently protect your family.

BTW, I just read an article from UCLA Dept. of Epidemiology that said the N95's are "flying off the shelves" at $2.75 a piece.
Since I bought my four cases, I'm startin' to feel mighty popular! : )

Mary Kay RN

swankyc View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swankyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 9:07pm

I had a thought about a mask, "in a pinch".

Double or triple layer of a tightly woven material and srapy it down with lysol or something like that????

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 9:42pm

Swankyc,
First of all, 3M corp. has said, if it's soiled with fluids it's not effective. It must be dried out before reuse.

Secondly the tightest weave looks like a window screen to a flu spore. Imagine 20 stacked window screens, do you think a spore could get through?

Buy the mask! : )

MK
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnitaRNpulmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 4:16am
I do agree with previous posts. You can only get a homemade traditional gauze nurse's mask, useful only against big droplets.
For other effective particulate masks, you have to buy industrial products. No choice left. Anita RN pulm nurse
swankyc View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swankyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 9:03am
Oh make no mistake, I got mine.  I'm saying in a pinch, cloth that has basically beeen soaked in something like Lysol may help out a little bit.  No, im not using that as my primary means of protection.
Sure2Survive View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sure2Survive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 12:46pm

Originally posted by Deej Deej wrote:

can anyone answer my question--- is there any household  cloth or substance  that can be used to create a mask in a pinch ?

yes if all else faile bleach a white t-shirt allow to dry use as mask.  The bleach in the material will help kill airborn particles.  Of course a real mask would be better but the bleached shirt is better by far than nothing.  The Marines are taught to do this if they are in a pinch

Sucess requires eye's wide open
jackson View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 1:56pm
I have a question--forgive me if this sounds stupid---i've had a long day!  I keep hearing about how the best way to prevent infection from H5N1 is to make sure you have good hygiene--- washing your hand frequently, etc...  But, I have heard so many people say that you will absolutely need a mask if there is a pandemic. I have bought a few N95 masks and thougth about buying more now.
Can anyone give me some advice about impt it will be to have a mask, assuming you are not in close contact with people who have the flu? Why do some people on TV make it sounds as if you can avoid infection if you simply wash your hands and avoid people coughing directly on you???
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 2:11pm

There are TWO modes of infection.

1) Direct inhalation of virus from some one in your vicinity coughing or sneezing or even breathing near you.  This is where the mask comes in.

2) Touching an object or surface that has been previously touched by an infected person, and then touching your face (mouth, nose, eyes and some have questioned ears).  This is where hygiene comes in.  H5N1 is a hardy bug.  It can live on non-porous surfaces for as much as 48 hours and if it's really cold about 30 days.  It can live in sub zero conditions indefinitely.  I guess it goes into some sort of suspended animation, but reactivates once it is thawed.

In a public setting you MUST guard against both modes of infection.

jackson View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 2:17pm
Thank you for the info.  After talking to some neighbors about BF,  I was told that "as long as you wash your hands alot , you'll be fine".  Unfortuntely, many people believe they won't be infected if they do  that much .  I think  that has been emphasized so much on TV and in articles that people forget the importance of getting a face mask if a pandemic occurs.
I have bought a few face masks already and will buy more.

thanks again.
Millie A.Jackson
mightymouse View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mightymouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 6:18pm
Hi all- What about those N95 chemical masks with the two canisters on the sides that painters, fiberglas workers use?  could they work and be reused if you kept them wiped down?   They seem airtight and are N95 and you can buy extra filters. 
Nothing matters - Therefore everything matters
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnitaRNpulmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 6:57pm
Hi mightymouse I should recommand these type of canister fitted masks if there is a severe and long pandemic, with the problem of shortage  ....
Yes there is less leakage, they can be easier to breathe throught (valves), can be wiped and sprayed. Such masks were recommanded by NIOSH/CDC documents/videos (to healthcare staffs) against MDR forms of TB since several years.

I set a blog site about these problems with pics, docs, advices and links

http://avianflu-personal-protection.blogspot.com/
mightymouse View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mightymouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 7:59pm
AnitaRNpulmo - Thank you.  appreciate the useful information.  We have two of these masks in storage.  Hope we never have to use them.
Nothing matters - Therefore everything matters
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 9:44pm
I went to a website on N95 masks and this is what it said about getting fluid on a mask:

"re: masks sodden with perspiration… if your disposible mask is wet, you must put on a new mask. A wet mask no longer filters properly."

Cloths soaked in lysol or layered cloth does nothing, except perhaps keep your germs from the public.

"In a pinch" is something that's not the best but still works fairly well/effective.
These ideas are ineffective, we are talking about something that's 0.3/0.1 microns small.

It's like losing your prescription glasses and saying you'll just use clear lenses in a pinch. They may give the appearance to others that you can see, but that's it.

Mary Kay

Edited by Mary Kay
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnitaRNpulmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 4:54am
HI MaryKay I do agree ! Having the RIGHT mask, wearing it properly donned and fit, being able to wear it for extended time without infection bareer breakage, being able to put it of properly, wearing an efficient eye protection, are a must. If not, all this is merely USELESS.
I shall post later on my page leaflets about do and dont.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic