Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Meal Ideas Using Storage Goods

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meal Ideas Using Storage Goods
    Posted: May 23 2006 at 9:38am
I'm looking for a list of easy to prepare meal ideas, rather than specific recipes, to add variety if I have to depend on storage foods.  Meal-in-a-can foods and a beans and rice combo will grow boring very quickly. This is what I've come up with so far:

- pancakes

- bean burritos
- chili (made from scratch)
- three bean salad (made from scratch)

- salmon patties (using canned salmon as base)
- tuna casserole

- macaroni and cheese (made from scratch)
- spaghetti (using jarred pasta sauce as a base)

- canned fruit mixed with marshmellows
- canned fruit in jello mold
Cygnet View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cygnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2006 at 10:19am
    Beans recipe that goes over well:

1 1/2 cups of pinto beans
1 1/2 to 2 quarts of water
1 14.5 ounce can of crushed tomatoes
1 4 oz can of green chilis
tablespoon onion flakes
garlic to taste

Boil for around 12 hours -- if the power's out a wood fire in the yard would be good for this rather than using precious fuel. It can also be set on top of a woodburning stove in the winter and forgotten about until dinner time.

(Note, it's edible at about six hours. But MUCH tastier after a longer cooking time.)

Add a small portion meat of your choice at the end. Good choices are salt pork, ham hocks, bacon, hamburger, beef, canned beef, or a game meat. Would probably work with vienna sausages also, though I've never tried it. Continue to simmer until the meat's tender.

Serve with tortillas, corn bread or bread.

Nutritious, filling. CHEAP. THis is my own "times are tough" recipe when I'm short on money and need something to tide me over until payday.

Leva

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2006 at 11:09am
take a look at www.hillbillyhousewife.com under the storage food section
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 1:07am
Irene-are you able to can your own meat--if you are

beef tips and rice
qt beef chunks, cr mushroom soup, rice
dessert jiffy cake mix, can pie filling, stick butter makes cobbler

goulash
pint canned hamburger, chili powder, macaroni

corn beef added to potatoes
served with can veggies

corn beef mixed with barbecue sauce for sandwiches

homemade tortillas
canned hamburger or chicken

you can make tacos, quesadillas, enchilladas
by adding cheese, spices, cream soups, planning on having a variety of these

canned chicken broth add
chicken, veggies, noodles for chicken soup

add dough to chicken broth for chicken n dupplings

canned chicken, cream of soups, rice, cheese =meal

chicken base, canned potatoes, evaporated milk, you have  potato soup

add clams you have clam chowder

canned whole potatoes grated=hash browns

canned hamburger add to gravy, serve over homemade biscuits

jiffy corn bread mix cooked, add chili over mix, top with cheese, bake

hope you can use some of the above suggestions
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 11:12am
Thanks!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 4:15pm
Could make hummus out of chick peas.  i haven't done this for years but it would make a change from bean casserole/bean salad.
Beth
PS And pizza with anything you've got on it.
slcmom View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slcmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 5:17pm
In addition to above:

Main Courses:
Chicken pot pie using canned chicken & homemade pie crust
Chicken enchiladas (canned chicken)
Chicken and rice
Chicken quesadillas
Chicken (or salmon) tetrazini
Chicken ala king
Bean caserole or pie
Shepherd's Pie
Rice and gravy with meat chunks (gravy made from boullion)
Meatless stroganoff
Sweet & sour pork (with canned ham)
Pork chow mein (with canned ham)
Tuna chow mein casserole
Pasta with pesto (using dried basil--this is good)
Shrimp Scampi (with butter buds, canned shrimp, and chicken broth)
(Also spaghetti sauce makes a great pizza sauce)

Side Dishes:
Mashed potatoes & gravy
Rice Pilaf
Oriental Rice
Sesame Greenbeans
Pineapple carrots
Potato casserole or augratin (with instant mashed potatoes)

Soups & Salads:
Pasta Figioli (pasta, ham, beans, spaghetti sauce)
Ministroni
Taco soup
Spicy tomato soup (with taco seasoning)
Vegetable soup in beef boullion base
White beans and ham
Pasta salad (w/italian dressing & parmesan cheese)
Jello Salad (jello with canned fruit)
Fruit Salad (with canned fruit)
Chicken curry salad (canned chicken and fruit)

Breakfasts:
Granola
Oats
Cracked wheat cereal
Toast
Scones & honey
Homemade crunchy wheat cereal (like Wheaties)

Breads:
Wheat Bread
Sourdough Bread
French Bread
Oatmeal Bread
Bread sticks
Baking powder biscuits
Homemade wheat thins

Desserts
Wacky cake (eggless cake)
No bake oatmeal cookies
Instant pudding
Fruit or pudding based pies
Popped Wheat
Homemade Candy (various)

This is a good thread.  Thanks!
flholland View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flholland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2006 at 7:29pm

I hope I'm not duplicating an earlier post. I found this at the Butter Buds website. I knew about Butter Buds, but didn't know they had extended their line of products.  Might be a good idea to have some on hand.

Butter Buds is made up of natural butter flavors made from the enzyme modification of butterfat. These free-flowing, powdered ingredients can provide up to 400 times the flavor intensity of butter, yet typically add less than 1% fat.

Butter Buds Food Ingredients has applied this same process to cheese, cream, sour cream, buttermilk, and even cocoa fat to extend the line.
Weeping Willow View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weeping Willow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2006 at 1:53pm
Femvet- Thanks Hillbillyhousewife was great.
Hydrangea View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hydrangea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2006 at 4:35pm
I was searching for no-cook recipes online and stumbled on a nifty website that's designed for campers and backpackers at www.freezerbagcooking.com . As the name indicates, the woman who runs the site figured out how to cook meals in ordinary freezer bags. Although she's promoting a book about this cooking technique, she includes lots of good recipes. All the ingredients are non-perishable- like dried veggies and beans, potato flakes, cheese powder, herbs and canned goods- and only require boiling water to cook. Very interesting and useful ideas for common pantry ingredients.  
oknut View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oknut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2006 at 1:00pm
I have a question that I hope someone can answer.

We've stocked quite a bit of beef and chicken flavored TVP for storage. Have any of you ever cooked with this stuff?

Can it be seasoned and made to taste enough like meat to work in tacos, burritos and sloppy joes?

We're not vegetarian so I've never tried it but figured it would store well and provide necessary protein. Guess I really should have tried some first before stocking up. Any real experience is appreciated.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 6:15pm
Semi Home Cooking (food channel) had a great (and decadent) breakfast receipe:

Make french toast into a sandwich with comstock apple pie filling in the middle.  Top with powdered sugar and maple syrup. 

K.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2006 at 6:09am
Other recipes to try:

Tuna melt sandwich (open face tuna with cheese on top)

Chicken a la king

Hamburger pie casserole (g. beef, with tomato sauce, green beans, topped with mashed potatoes and velveta on top.)

apple brown betty

Gexydaf View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gexydaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2006 at 9:12am
Hydrangea,  thanks for the link.  Some of these recipes do look good.  I'll have to try making one and see how it goes.  Approve
TxCowboy View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TxCowboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2006 at 3:33pm
Hydrangea - awesome link (www.freezerbagcooking.com ) ! I copied and pasted every recipe.  WinkThanks!
ToniD.
boocracker View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boocracker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 6:33pm
i had  mushroom soup getting old so i put three cans in a pot with a handfull of shell pasta and cooked it on low for about and our or better
i added no water the shells got big and it was yummy.
i think i will and pasta to all my soup now it just makes more of a meal
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2006 at 6:46pm
Oknut, I've used TVP in the past. It is completely neutral and will absorb any flavor. Not the same texture as meat, of course, but a great source of protein. I'm stocking up on regular TVP. Add seasonings early with the water to give it the most time for absorption.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 7:38pm
Boocracker,

Your recipe sounds great and I'm going to try it, but  in addition to the soup, I was thinking of adding in a can of tuna.  Thanks for a great idea -- it's cheaper than tuna helper any day.

K.
outsidethecamp View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outsidethecamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2006 at 9:12pm
Sorry for being so ignorant, but what is TVP?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2006 at 12:25pm
Textured vegetable protein, can be flavoered to taste like any meat or can be plain and will "take" the taste of whatever you cook.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic