Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Ourdoor Safety-Rural

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Go outside w/dogs & w/out protection
Vote Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [2.38%]
14 [33.33%]
6 [14.29%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [4.76%]
15 [35.71%]
4 [9.52%]

Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ourdoor Safety-Rural
    Posted: January 27 2006 at 12:16am
There are probably other permutations but this was getting overlong. Also
interested in procedure for going outdoors (what to wear/when to put it on)
and coming indoors (what sanitary protection...shower/change clothes) and
where to do it.
Should be interesting. Thanks. Rocky
Prepare for the Unexpected!
Rocky
http://www.homeemergencyusa.com
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 3:13pm

ok i voted not to go outside at all, but if I really reallllllllllllllllly had to emphases on really...I would mask goggle...wear secure clothing cover myself totally..and I would have a back up set of garments and a towel ready and go into my quarantine room take off outdoor clothing and immediatly toss them out the door or hang on my clothes line(depends on how I feel I have been exposed to the virus)re;..someone sneezes near or around me..I could always walk up to my firepit start a fire and burn the clothes..run around the neighbourhood naked..oops no different scenario...lol...just kidding...still need to keep the humour..ok....I would have ready water and bleach and totally wash myself down...

I might also have ready blankets food and water..my kids would inside those doors and my priority is to not expose them to this virus...

I would quarantine myself for an appropriate amount of time...to make sure I do not have the virus...

My first choice is to stay indoors..i am hoping there would nothing I would have to go outside for..but I know that will not be totally possible..if this lasts for a year..and starts in March/April..there would still be the need for firewood in the winter...

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 4:31pm
Ok, want to laugh? I am training my dog to use the bathroom in a special plastic crate that is very cleanable with soap and water, that way I wont have to take her out so many times a day. Just dispose of her waste in the same manner as the rest of us.
bruss01 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruss01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 4:57pm

Not sure I understand the question....

During a pandemic, I will work pretty hard at not coming into contact with other people, or being within reasonable breath range (20 feet).  If it's serious we may have to stay on premises.  That will not prevent me from going out into the fenced back yard for chores, and I won't keep the dogs cooped up indoors.  IMHO, one can take reasonable precautions, but you can't very well live in a plastic bubble until the whole thing blows over.  Well, you can but it wouldn't be pleasant or cheap, and you'd probably get tired of it halfway thru and give it up anyway.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 5:42pm
I see this `Don't leave the house' mantra often, and frankly, I am mystified by it.

This is a flu virus we're talking about, not a Biohazard Level 4 pathogen like ebola.  It doesn't stay in the air, and drift over the countryside.  To contract it, you must come in contact with an infected surface (ie. bird droppings, door knob, shopping cart), or be within infectious range of someone who has it.

While there may be some other hazards encountered out of your home, if you are strictly worried about acquiring the virus, then the risks are minimal.  Notice, I didn't say zero, there is always a risk.

Precautions I would take venturing out on my own property are pretty simple.  All of this assumes a rural, or suburban locale.  Inner cities, where contact with people is more likely, are more problematic.

1. Remove shoes before entering the house. Spray soles with bleach solution.
2. Wash hands thoroughly upon return.  Use Hand sanitizer while outside after touching possibly infected surfaces.
3. Keep family pets on a leash.
4. Carry a sidearm  (don't leave home without it)
5. Carry a walkie-talkie and remain in contact with someone in the house.
6. Keep a minimum of 30 feet away from anyone who might be infected. Anyone obviously sickened, you might want to expand that safty perimeter.
7. I might consider wearing a N95 mask if in a suburban neighborhood where neighbors live close by.

One other precaution I would take is I would remove any bird feeders, bird baths from my property before infected birds are detected in your country.  Bird droppings from stray birds are enough of a hazard, no sense sending out invitations.

So far, the avian flu is extremely difficult to contract.  If it goes H2H, there is no reason to believe it will have any unusual infectious qualities beyond the regular flu, just a higher attack rate and higher mortality. 

While there may be other reasons not to venture out, in a rural setting, catching the flu from simply walking outside is not one of them.

My 2 cents. YMMV.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 5:42pm

My dog is a little indoor dog Bruss (14 lbs). She is already cooped up indoors. I take her out several times a day, but we dont have the privacy of having our own back yard. So to take her out would mean to fully prepare myself to go out in public, and I just dont have enough n95 masks for that.

CupcakeMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CupcakeMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 7:55pm

When someone coughs or sneezes the virus doesn't stay in the air very long (hey, there's gravity) so if you're rural and there is no one to cough/sneeze on you when you're outdoors, you shouldn't need a mask. 

The main issue would be touching an infected surface.  In the woods around my house, most surfaces are probably never going to be coughed/sneezed on/touched by an infected person right where Im going to touch it later.  I suppose the bird feces would still be a threat (all over my deck and car) so gloves might be handy-- or perhaps just a thorough wash or hand santizer after.

If you tramp through bird droppings (like my front walk) it would be nice to dip your boots in a pan of disinfectant at the door. 

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 5:59am

When someone coughs or sneezes the virus doesn't stay in the air very long (hey, there's gravity) so if you're rural and there is no one to cough/sneeze on you when you're outdoors, you shouldn't need a mask..(quote)

I read an artical just 2 weeks ago and a human sneeze can project 30 fett all around and with the H5N1 can stay on a surface for as long as 10 hours possibly longer..I have been studying...

I also have 3 cockateils...well my son does...wonder what I should do with them

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 6:57am
muskrat, now you know why I specified a 30 foot safety perimeter. 

Wouldn't think the cockateils would be a problem if kept inside the house.
AuntBones View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuntBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 7:11am
Outside safety, this may be a BIG problem for me in the future. I have a garden pond. My pond holds about 1000 gallons of water. Hopefully I will not have to drain and cover it up.

Edited by AuntBones
Enumclaw,WA View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enumclaw,WA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 8:10am
I will be going outside. No problem. Live on 1 1/2 acres.
Will have vegetable garden. Also if power goes out. Rain barrels under downspouts for flushing toilets. Generator to run. Firewood to bring in from pile. Dogs to walk. Neighbors won't be a problem at least for a while. Plus they know how volatile I am so won't be a problem. Will have a side arm on me if neccessary. My close neighbors are planning to band together for support and protection. In the northwest it rains alot and that will keep everything free of to much flu germs. It should keep it out of the air too.
RB
Deej View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 9:03am
i too will be going outdoors. rural here. plan on using spring water for drinking & river for washing clothes & such. i even have an old washboard, used it for decoration in my laundry room, thinking it will come into good use.  plan on hunting for food.  my only concern is there is a large flock of wild turkey that likes to visit, good now they are great deep fried, but when this things gets into the bird population , need to figure out how to make them feel very unwelcome.. do not want to just shoot them & let them lie there, we have coy dogs, large cats etc.  & certainly don't want to get near them dead. any ideas on how to make wild birds feel most unwelcome ?
dee
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 9:33am
Deej, statues of lifelike large predatory birds seem to drive most birds away.  At least here in SoCal we use statues of owls on our rooftops to keep the birds from nesting there.
Deej View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 9:37am
thanks, hadn't thought of that..
dee
Doodlebug View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doodlebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 7:23am
I live right on the Chesapeake Bay and it's not uncommon to see 100 or so geese in my back yard plus another several hundred in the Bay, also ducks, swans, osprey, etc., in the Bay (it's a regular bird convention out there every day), and then approximately 50 seagulls who sit on my dock (usually perched right on top of my plastic owl statues) all year round.  Oh, and I'm only a mile or so from a large bird sanctuary.  Needless to say, bird poop is an extreme worry for our household.  I'm not concerned about removing and disinfecting shoes after outdoor exposure, but as the bird mess sits out there it eventually dries out enough to be kicked up into the air (especially large goose droppings). 

So...we bought a BB gun with rubber and metal BBs (material affects range), in the hopes that we can scare wild birds away without actually hurting them.  I'm not sure how successful we'll be, but I do know my husband is having a great time trying it out.  The birds here are mostly territorial (i.e. regular visitors) so maybe we can train them away from our property.  If not, we'll think about letting the kids play wherever we have asphalt - but not near any grass.
Ella Fitzgerald View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ella Fitzgerald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 7:51am

okay, I've thought a lot about this one. We live off a major street where our back yard backs up to a 4 lane highway. Powerlines skirt our fence line and is a natural attraction for birds.

My dog loves chasing the birds so I am planning on buying fake owls and other things that will keep birds away from those powerlines.

When I go outside I will leash my dog because if she sees a dead bird she will go sniff it and by time I catch up to her the exposure is already done. I will probably go inspect the back yard first for any potential harms before I take her out also.

The last thing I need is my dog sniffing a dead bird then going inside to snuggle with the kids.

I will always carry protection gear when going outside the house because you just never know. I live in a metropolitan area so I think protection gear is a staple to any trips outside the home.

TNbebo408 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNbebo408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 7:32pm
Use rubber snakes, they scare the hell out of birds.
AuntBones View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuntBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 11:41am
Thanks TN will try the  rubber snake. I will put a few of them around my yard.
mightymouse View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mightymouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 12:45pm

Concerning birds too close for comfort:

Loud noises will scare away birds.  Just ask any cat with a bell.  Get some firecrackers (ie. cherry bombs) that can be thrown or launced (very carefully-might need two people-forget I said this) with a slingshot.  Over time the birds will relocate. (hopefully) 

Your close neighbors will of course call the cops and you will have some explaining to do but we live in dangerous times.  One may want to start out with a simple blown up paper bag which will make quite a report when smacked soundly - and work up from there.

If your the kind of person that drives a Humvee and really wants to go to the end of the road with this thing - go to http://www.firequest.com (lots of neat stuff for road warriors) and order  an M-79 grenade launcher and some 37mm bird bombs.  I guanantee your problems will be over. (with the birds)  Of course now your neighbors will be calling the FBI as you are now operating a terrorist training camp. 

Edited by mightymouse
Nothing matters - Therefore everything matters
TNbebo408 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNbebo408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 1:19pm
Just put rubber snakes out, and if birds die close to your house, use one of them long reach grabbbers, grabber the bird, and put it on a small fire to dispose of it.

Don't use the grabber to grabber your canned goods off the shelf after this. Or for a back scratcher.
pola33193 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pola33193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 1:39pm
I live in a lake and it is full of ducks ,some of them have been living here for years and we even call them by names , I am an animal lover , I will try to scare them away first but I think this is not going to work , hope I wont have to take extreme mesures , but my dogs and my family are first!
pola
May View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote May Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 10:52pm
Pets need fresh air...by a window, to look out... or walk them out to a deck or patio.  I have a cat... on a leash.  From a kitten.. he waits while I put on the harness.  He is 11 yrs old now.   He is not walked around like a dog of course... he managed to catch a mouse, even on a leash tied to the deck.
sweetpea View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 8:01am
Won't you need to disinfect your pets as well when you come back indoors?  What's safe to use on them as they lick themselves to clean their fur?
"When an emergency arises, the time for preparation is past."
calendula View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calendula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 8:31am
I have 2 small dogs, I purchased some all terrain boots that can be strapped around their bellies, they cover their paws up to the thigh, when we come back from walks, I just take them off outside, rinse them in water diluted with bleach and air dry.
I am not here to reason, I am here to create"
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 9:11pm

I think there’s a huge point being missed.

It’s not just the civil unrest, infected people, infected birds or fresh droppings, but the dried droppings as well. The virus lives for ages after the poop has dried. All it takes is breathing it or dragging it back into the house on shoes, clothes, purses, pets’ paws or fur, etc.

It will take a mask, goggles, clothing covers, shoe covers, head cover and gloves to keep it off of you – then all of that stuff will have to be removed before you come into your house.  Goggles can be disinfected – so can a half mask respirator, but regular N95 masks, clothing covers, shoe covers, gloves will all need to be thrown away each time.

Each time you go out there will be a chance that you will bring some of it back inside no matter how careful you are. I don’t think we can safely venture out to cook on a grill, walk pets, drive to work, pick up the mail – open windows, hang laundry.

Please tell me something to convince me that I’m wrong because I don’t think staying inside for months is going to be any fun.

AVIAN BIRD FLU INFECTION

There is a possible risk to people who have contact with infected birds or surfaces that have been contaminated with secretions or excretions from infected birds- for example by people inhaling dried feces that have become converted into dust. Clearly therefore if we encounter an outbreak of avian influenza people need to avoid any contact with infected birds or surfaces that have been contaminated with secretions or especially the dried excretions from such birds.

http://www.hotfoot.com/article-birdflu.html

Q: How do you catch it?

A: Typically like this: infected birds (normally chickens) shed the virus in their faeces, then humans breathe in dust from dried droppings. Many of those infected have been children, who have been playing near chickens, touched their droppings and then put their hands to their mouths. The virus will also be present in poultry meat, blood and eggs.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/travel/story/0,6903,1686444,00.html

People can catch the disease by being close to live infected birds and include any of the following types of contact:

• touching infected birds,
• being in contact with their saliva or fluids from their nose,
• being in contact with, or inhaling dried dust from their droppings.

Droppings can also contaminate dust, soil, water, feed, equipment, vehicles, clothing and shoes, which can cause the spread of avian flu.  The virus can also be carried on the feet and bodies of animals, which can cause the disease to spread. Another source can be live markets where birds are sold in crowded and sometimes unsanitary (unclean) conditions, so avoid visiting these if you are travelling in countries that have had an outbreak.

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?printPage=1&articleId=1565

The virus is excreted, and people may inhale these germs as dust when the droppings dry out.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/health/healthmain.html?in_article_id=365051&in_page_id=1774

Rocky View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 11:18pm
This particular topic is so important to many of us who live rurally. I have quoted 2 very different opinions in our Avian Flu Talk postings (see below)

How can we know if it is safe to go outside (no human contact outside the family living with you)? Some say we can go out, just disinfect your shoes (or have outside shoes) and keep your dog on a leash. Others say if you must go out, be fully protected with gear.

This makes such a difference in planning for a pandemic. Can family members who are sleeping in emergency shelter units (ie large tents)    come into the house after removing shoes and washing hands. Think of the problems with family members using tents for shelter and having to get into/out of/ and dispose of protective gear each time they had to poop, pee, come into the house to eat, etc. What a nightmare. Also there would be no way to have that much disposable protective gear available

Would love to hear opinions gained through investigation, etc. I am so confused by this subject and have to make some important decisions soon. Rocky

"The virus is excreted, and people may inhale these germs as dust when the droppings dry out."

"While there may be other reasons not to venture out, in a rural setting,
catching the flu from simply walking outside is not one of them."
Prepare for the Unexpected!
Rocky
http://www.homeemergencyusa.com
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 7:31am
Rocky, I suspect at this point in time nobody can tell you for sure, but your question reminded me of something the military is doing which might be helpful to you. The military hospitals in Iraq are all tents and they have created walkways out of canvas to go from one to another, almost like a tunnel. Since you are thinking of putting family in a tent, you probably have a location in mind. You could put up rods or something like that and buy a sufficient amount of tarps which you could put up when needed, ducktape them together. Should solve your problem.
Mr Silkman View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Silkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 4:35pm
I have read about another bird repellent......take all those CD Roms from aol,,etc.,  drill a hole in each and hang them up.  Suposedly birds don't like the reflectiing light.
Mr Silkman
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic