Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Bush trying to establish martial law before H2H2H
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Bush trying to establish martial law before H2H2H

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bush trying to establish martial law before H2H2H
    Posted: June 01 2006 at 6:11pm
Just read this and it gave me the willies! I believe that Dear Uncle Sam is more informed than we the people.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2006 at 7:11pm
at least there thinking way i see it...

might actually help not hinder...

BUT it still gives me the hebejebes
gogo View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gogo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2006 at 7:13pm
When martial law is officially declared, don't hold your breath for it to end quickly.  Income tax deductions through payroll were supposed to be a temporary measure during WWII, and we still have them.  One good loss of liberty deserves another.
Linda View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2006 at 7:30pm
The article is from last October...kind of old....just thought I'd point that out.
the idea of martial law is apalling. It is illegal for the Government to use the armed forces against a citizen.
Insanity is making the same mistakes and expecting different results....therefore...Those who don't learn from history are bound to go insane.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2006 at 7:35pm
Hopefully Bush's putch will fail.   If Martial Law is declared then the
US Constitution is suspended.   It is the Constitution that details the
three branches of government.    No Constitution,  no govt.

Therefore,  no President.

The military should hang Bush and Cheney by thier toes until the
fat seeps down to their heads and they burst like balloons.

Makes you wonder what Bush and dirty Dick knew before 911.

I trust a loyal, patriotic consul of Generals over the Texas mafia
anyday.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2003/11/20/185048.shtml

Bush needs a new disaster,   looks like a flu pandemic will work just
fine.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2006 at 8:02pm
Has anyone read the BF plan Pres.Bush prepared???????? MARTIAL LAW IS IN THERE, no surprise.  By the way I believe it is true  that if martial law is invoked the current President stays IN OFFICE until crisis is overDead
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2006 at 9:49pm
okay I had a long reply all typed out and it went into the great cyber beyond, so here it is again.

I've been reading the president's Implementation Plan for the National Strategy for Pandemic Influenza. I've read about half of it this evening, any way so far I haven't seen anything about martial law, but  I'll keep looking. So far everything I've read has made perfect sense, the only thing that's frustrating is this is only the plan to make a plan. (Hey, I got a plan, let's make a plan to make a plan). I've read all of Chap 5-Transportation and Borders and all of Chap 8-Law Enforcement, Public Safety and Security. It makes perfect sense to  me to use the military to transport needed supplies in the event most truckers are either too sick or under quarenteen etc and can't. It makes sense to secure US borders if it is necessary with military personel, and it makes sense to restrict travel between areas of infection and areas of no infection.  It makes sense to bring in the national guard to help local police if there are riots or trouble enforcing quarinteens. Unfortunatly if we are faced with a pandemic that is as severe as many of us think it might be, our local police, fire and emergency workers will be overwhelmed. BTW my husband is a firefighter, so this hits home for me. I for one will welcome the national guard for helping out. Just a thought: maybe now is not the time for pres bashing, maybe we have bigger chickens to fry.
pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 3:43am
diod.........the presidency is not a person ,its an office    some occupents forget that..there is not a single past president that hasnt made mistakes ,with clinton i still supported the office, ive said it before and ill say it again if any one makes political hay out of this hillery will...... for good or bad im thankfull for a strong central government. we need to critique the office with votes,..not venum
The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself......FDR
Linda View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 4:01am
Originally posted by rodin33 rodin33 wrote:

I've been reading the president's Implementation Plan for the National Strategy for Pandemic Influenza. I've read about half of it this evening, any way so far I haven't seen anything about martial law, ... it makes sense to restrict travel between areas of infection and areas of no infection.  It makes sense to bring in the national guard to help local police if there are riots or trouble enforcing quarinteens.

This is what martial law is...to say this.... is to say you agree with martial law....that's ok if that's how you feel....but don't be fooled this is martial law.
Insanity is making the same mistakes and expecting different results....therefore...Those who don't learn from history are bound to go insane.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 6:50am
Linda, I live in Oklahoma City, when the OKC bombing happend, the national guard came in and assisted, when the May 3rd tornado ripped a mile wide path 65 miles long right through densly populated areas, the national guard came in and assisted. I don't know, maybe I'm naive, but I was grateful they were  here both times. I know this is a different situation, but hasn't the national guard always helped out in emergency's.
Linda View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 7:03am

Linda, I live in Oklahoma City, when the OKC bombing happend, the national guard came in and assisted, when the May 3rd tornado ripped a mile wide path 65 miles long right through densly populated areas, the national guard came in and assisted. I don't know, maybe I'm naive, but I was grateful they were  here both times. I know this is a different situation, but hasn't the national guard always helped out in emergency's.

Helping out in emergencies is something we should expect from our government....enforcing Quarenteens of citizens is illigle according to our constitution....bringing food and water and shelter is helping out...Using the military to enforce laws on the people and to quarentine is Marshal Law...There is a big difference. How many people were confined to their homes by the National Guard when they came help? How many people were forced to take military help during the tornado?

I am having trouble seeing how people on this forum are having trouble seeing what is clearly a difference to me....Where do we draw the next line if we let the one that has been drawn by our forfathers be crossed? What about the line after that? 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 8:14am
Linda,
What happened during the May 3 tornado was that the national guard took up post around every entrance to neighbor hoods that were hit. People from all over wanted to drive or walk into the areas to either look, or try to get to their homes etc. The national guard stopped them. I admit it was a little disconcerting to see armed military personel turning people away. They didn't shoot anyone though and no violence broke out. There were a few instances of looters and I'm not sure who, local police or national guard stopped them. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with martial law, the truth is right now, I'm just more concerned with protecting my family. I mean, if martial law is enacted and our government becomes some kind of gestapo, what difference does it make if my children are dead? At any rate what could be done at this stage of the game anyway? We could write letters, make phone calls etc. But would it really do any good? The idea of the government strong handing US citizens is not a new idea for me. As mentioned earlier, I was here for the OKC bombing. What actually happened is not the story the rest of the world has been told. I personally have many friends that were witnessses to that event. My husband is an OKC firefighter. There is much much more to that than what you've been told. Oops I digress, sorry. Hey, I don't want to get into a dissagreement with you, I shouldn't have even said anything. It's just not that much of an issue for me right now.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 8:38am
I would be glad to see the National Guard and military help don't get me wrong.  BUT I do have a problem with them TAKING MY GUNS FROM ME...they did this in Katrina...wealthy neighborhoods mind you.  Not that being rich makes you better,but it just wasn't in "Crime infested"neighborhoods. That I have a BIG PROBLEM WITH.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 8:51am
Originally posted by Linda Linda wrote:

The article is from last October...kind of old....just thought I'd point that out. the idea of martial law is apalling. It is illegal for the Government to use the armed forces against a citizen.

Los Angeles, CA: Rodney King Riots.

I was in the National Guard.

The National Guard troops were federalized.

Martial Law was enacted.

Everyone restricted to homes after dark.

Co-workers trapped at work FOR THREE DAYS in downtown LA.

We, The Military, shot our neighbors who were robbing, beating, and killing our other neighbors.

It’s legal. It’s necessary.

There has to be control over the bad guys who take advantage of the weak. .

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 8:51am
IN Canada there are bills being slipped in this summer in the name of Pandemic Planning that are marshal law ish. Hey and were the polite guys. Really quietly being done.

Read our Pandemic PLans there are on the web. Sorry I know there are alot of you who are good at tracking them down and posting them Im not one of them      

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 8:52am
rodin,   I know this is not political,  it is a very dangerous situation.

I don't care if Bush is Dem or Repub,  he is power crazy and has used
fear repeatedly to get his way.   Remember just before the 04 election,
how his administration repeatedly warned about coming terror attacks.

Cheney saying that if Bush was not re-elected we would get hit again.

"they are playing on our fears"

After the election the warnings ended .

Also,  Bush has said numerous times that he would like to be a DICTATOR.
I do not trust him or Cheney or anyone in this administration.  If they
succeed in dismanteling the Constitution then anything goes,   the law
becomes HIS law.   He becomes a dictator.

It is not necessary to toss the Constitution to employ the National Guard
or the Military in a time of emergency.   That is what FEMA was supposed
to be for.  That is what the National Guard is for.  Bush failed to prepare
for 911 even though everyone in DC was pulling their hair out worrying
about a terror attack,  Bush did nothing.  He went on a month long
vacation.   NO Planning...........

What he should be doing now is co-ordinating FEMA and other agencies
for a BF outbreak,  not tring to consolidate more power for himself.
Is he taking steps to prepare ????????

You are falling into his trap,  you are fearfull,  you will let him get
away with anything,  even trash our system of laws.

He can protect the country without resorting to that,  if he really
wants to.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 8:59am
The National Guard is just that - they are there to help those in the states of the nation when they are overwhelmed. I see no problem with the National Guard helping in the different states.

What I do see as a problem is
1 - if the National Guard (or any group, military included) does not respect the rights given to us in our Constitution. When that happens, this is no longer the country or government that was set up in the Constitution.

2 - if the military is used to enforce order in the states. The military is not to operate within the US, only in foreign conflicts, situations, or assisstance projects. The key word here is FOREIGN.

Yes, if the military is called in to enforce order, or even to "assist", that is by definition MARTIAL LAW. Perhaps someone with more knowledge of the law can correct me; this is my understanding from having read up on it.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 9:12am
I don't want my weapons taken away, but I don't have a problem with the military taking control, especially if it gets really bad. If you have ever been in a riot situation or lived in a big city where things are unsafe anyway then I think that makes a difference in your thought process. The thugs and gang members will go wild without some type of control. I used to work in several residential treatment/psychiatric facilities with juveniles (mostly teenage gang members) and have been in riot situations (in controlled facilities with staff) and they are BAD, these gang members are ruthless, they don't care what they do or to whom, and there are thousands out in the streets right now, just waiting for the opportunities.....I have also lived in a couple of large cities and the gangs and thugs are everywhere, even when you live in a nice neighberhood, they will come looking for food, water and whatever else when they are desperate. I lived in Norfolk, VA in the 80's and early 90's and at that time there were approximately 100 different gangs in the Tidewater area, it can only be worse now. In the 90's I lived in Atlanta another city with gang problems. Even when we lived in near the Corpus Christi area in the late 90's they had gang problems, even the town 20 miles from us has gang problems, they are everywhere. Unless you have ever had contact with them, then you don't know what they are really like. I have worked with gang members here in Oklahoma, in Virginia and in Texas and they are all the same. In a bad situation, that may happen, then I would not mind the government stepping in. I personally don't care if the thugs and gang members get shot if they are doing something they are not supposed to be doing. If you are an ordinary citizen and abiding by the law then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
bleva2 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bleva2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 11:10am

History repeats itself.  This is true of pandemics and collapsing governments.  The former can trigger the latter.  No one knows when this great country will collapse or how bad it will be, but history dictates it will happen.  Law abiding citizens have every right to be concerned about the government becoming abusive.   In fact, it is our duty.  Power by nature wants to increase and be all powerful.  We should be very watchful of a government that allows the very gang members we are worried about to exist at their current level in the first place.  Yes, you could argue that “we the people” are to blame for not voicing our opinion to elected officials, but look how well that has worked for immigration.  Our government has gone way beyond “we the people” and should be diligently critiqued.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 11:26am
It really does not matter who is in office right now. I think we need to pray that they will keep our collective best interests in their minds.

We have the leaders we have. Can't change that right now. We can watch what they do. We can choose to follow or not. But we can't change leaders for this looming crisis anyway.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 1:26pm
I think Diode needs to get off the crack he/she is on. "Bush says he wants to be a dictator." Leave your uninformed politics with your liberal buddies and off this forum.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 1:35pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 1:35pm
The federal government already has the power to invoke quarantine. See the following article by the Journal of the American Medical Association which was  published in 2001. Or read the relevant info which is under the link.

"The federal government has the authority to enact quarantine when presented with the risk of transmission of infectious disease across state lines.35 Legislation stipulates that this is an executive decision to be made by the president. Once the decision has been made, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is the federal agency authorized to manage federal quarantine actions.36 The implementation apparatus for such an order could involve federal assets from other agencies, such as the Department of Defense or the Federal Emergency Management Agency, deploying in support of federal, state, or local authorities.37 The federal government may also assert supremacy in managing specific intrastate incidents if so requested by that state's authorities or if it is believed that local efforts are inadequate.35, 38 Other legal venues for federal action may exist but have not been well delineated.39 "
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 1:46pm

If you wish to continue your anti-bush rant than please create a post in the Discussion area.   

Dark Wombat View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark Wombat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by Diode Diode wrote:

Hey Bo,  Here you go:

Wow.  Now there's proof of an evil masterplan if I ever saw it. . .

Did you know JFK was really from Berlin?

Oh, and Reagan had a secret plan to bomb the USSR in just 5 minutes!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 1:54pm
Diode, you suspiciously sound like Hitech. considering you joined 31 May and Hitech hasn't posted since 1 Jun Ii suspect you may be one in the same.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 2:05pm
So Diode, if you were President what would you do? What would be your plan to protect every fellow American? What would have been your plan for anything that we have faced since 2001? I am not trying to pick a fight with you but it is one thing to criticise and quite another to offer up solutions. If you were President how would you handle a pandemic?

I hear so many people bash the present administration for so many things. I get so tired of it. Move on already.

If you don't start bailing our ship may sink. Complain later when it is time to vote for someone else. I voted for Bush and if I had the same choice I would vote for him today and I am from MA. I don't know the mans heart, no one truly does, but I am glad someone is at least trying to defend our nation. He may not have gotten everything right and sure the conspiracy theorists have their ideas but the man is standing behind Israel so I will not criticize my President.

How a man defends Israel has always been a criteria of mine. If there is an outward change in some other criteria I have then I will withdraw my support. So far, I do not see that from the present administration. BTW, I am an independent. I will vote for whomever I feel can get the job done most effectively.

I do not like some of the policies that have changed to fit the theorists models but there are other powers at work in the government too.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 2:24pm

I am not Hitech, why do you think only one person dissapproves of Bush's failures ?  His favorable ratings are a pathetic 30%.   After Iraq, Afghanistan, Katrina, I do not think he will do us any good if BF hits.

I mean,  look at his record.  Now he wants to turn the military loose on the American people.

He SHOULD have taken a pro-active approach to the threat of terrorism during his first nine months in office but did not.

He SHOULD have taken a pro-active approach to planning the war in Iraq but did not.

He SHOULD have realized that taking troops and resources out of Afghanistan would not be wise,  But did not.

He SHOULD have heeded the warnings about Katrina and acted accordingly,   But did not.

Now,  with the dangers of BF looming all he can think about is a military solution.

He should be co-ordinating a response with the agencies and resources he CURRENTLY has.   He should be in daily touch with WHO and CDC and FEMA. 

This thread started with his desire to use the military and I commented.

Hitech seems to be anti-government completely,  I am not,  I want real leaders and not a bumbling fool.

Instead of worrying about Isreal he should be more concerned about US.

If I were Pres I would do all I recommended above,  possibly consider restricting flights from Indonesia until we know more.  I would also call for meetings with local authorities to plan a response.  I would direct FEMA to have a plan on my desk by MONDAY or they will be fired.  I would at least take the lead instead of waiting for someone else to do something. I certianly would not send the NG to Iraq.  I read he is sending more to Iraq.

I am sure there are many others in this forum who would do more.

I feel like Paul Bremmer did back in Feb 01 about terror attacks:

"he is going to wait for something terrible to happen before he does anything" - paraphrased.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 2:43pm

"  He (Bush) SHOULD have taken a pro-active approach to the threat of terrorism during his first nine months in office but did not."

Bill Clinton should have done something about AlQueda / Bin Laden when he had the chance ....   ain't hind sight great ...

Let's stick to the BF topics Diode  ... start a Bush Bash on another thread if you must

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 2:49pm
Diode sounds like Hitech to me, Hey Hitech, hows it shakin?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 3:43pm
I'm sorry that I posted this thread. I am neither republican nor democrat nor liberal nor independant. I do not vote, I have no political agenda. The reason I posted this (I should've said "The president", instead of Bush but I think it would have been the same) was to show that Marshal Law is more than a possibilty, it is almost a certainty. And, as the intellegent people we are, can discuss this, give suggestions and alternative suggestions that are possible, workable, doable or hillarious! But let's go back to being interested in the welfare of ourselves, friends and families. Please? Jo
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 4:06pm

What is a single mom with three children supposed to do without law and order?  Should I buy my college age children guns?  I don't see how "every man for himself" is any solution.  I know quite a few in the guard and the military who are there because they believe in this country and want to serve, not because they are a part of some massive plot.  I remember the same kind of language at the time of Vietnam.  Younger people reject the establishment - it's always been that way, and in a sense, it's their "job" to do so.  I would just encourage, like some already have, to create a discussion post for that topic and label it so that we can stay on track.  The topic here is "law and order" and it's a difficult subject so let's try to share points of view and limit the name calling.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 4:49pm
Funny things happen to broken people when they go through the stages of adjustment. We have had the benefit of adjusting to this pre-event. Those not so fortunate may get caught up in a herd mentality like we saw in Katrina. When witnessing looting, people with a thin grasp on morality tend to go with the crowd. Those with firmly held belief systems tend to keep their behavior in check and even have an impact on the behavior of others around them. We will see what happens to our moral compass when people are sick and dying but deep down I believe that the people of this nation will rise to the occassion of this impending crisis and shine brightly like our ancestors have done before us in times of great national need.

When I look around at all the plenty we have enjoyed through the years, I have to wonder if this has not spoiled us as a people. I know there are people in this country that live in extreme poverty. Most in poverty live in other nations, they will not have as big an adjustment that we will have in our developed countries.

Those less fortunate than we have been, are more familiar with hunger, disease, pestilence and drought. If doubt a body can ever get used to such horrible things. We, however, are on a lofty perch, one that we have worked hard to build, but one that will inevitably fall, if this is what is to come to pass. I look at myself and wonder how I could have been so immune to the suffering of others. Those images of starving and ill people, did I do anything to ease their suffering? Hardly. I would make little contributions here and there. Did I use the gifts that God gave me to effect change or did I hide my talents? That will be how I am judged I am sure.

I am not looking forward to any of this at all, for any of us, I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy, if I had one.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 4:50pm
thanks for getting us back on track gettingready. Hug
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 5:53pm
Thanks for your post standingfirm.  It will be harder for us spoiled ones, won't it?  Don't judge yourself too harshly, though - not many of us have done all we could to help others.  I also think our way of life is just as stressful, but in a different way.  Speaking on the subject though, I also think 99% of us will "rise to the challenge" as you said.  I saw it in Katrina.  So, hopefully, there would be limited need for the military.  Neighborhood watches are good too.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 11:44pm
What do you think that too much is being mde out of the potential martial law situation? I just don't think that the numbers are there, especially not for a country as large as the US. Most of our troops are serving overseas, the military is stretched to the breaking point as is.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 1:33am
Martial Law would be of serious concern to me, anyway.  Makes me wonder if this is over-kill..and i also agree..the troops are overseas, and making them take the roll of police..would overextend the forces.  Peace. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 3:22am
The military will be needed - martial law is just what is necessary.

The law and order will bread down and people will try to defy the quarantine laws and spread the virus - a rifle butt or bullet will stop them to save lives
flholland View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flholland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 6:03am

Rodin,

I am in total agreement with you. It may be difficult for many people to understand the positive side of martial law, unless they have been in the unfortunate position of having to sleep (with one eye open) with guns  within arm's reach. Here in New Orleans, the military was located on almost every street corner. WE WERE GRATEFUL FOR THEIR PRESENCE! They checked our I.D.'s when traveling through various areas in search of water and food.  Initially, it was frightening to see all the armored vehicles and military personnel with guns strapped over their shoulders.  But after going through our first few check-points, they made it perfectly clear they were there to assist us.

They provided us with information, food, water, ice, not to mention protection. They were kind, polite, understanding, and always helpful.

Someone mentioned neighborhood watches. Here in my neighborhood, two men, who happened to own 4-wheelers, would sleep during the day and patrol our neighborhood at night. It helped ease our worry.

Martial Law ...it's frightening, but in my opinion, there are times it is absolutely necessary. Thank God for our military!
Be strong and of good courage; be not frightened, neither be dismayed; for the Lord your God is with you whenever you go.
--Joshua 1:9
Linda View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 6:44am
I've never been in a disaster situation. I guess I can see how some sort of Martial law might be necessary. Certainly whatever way the government can come in to help although they've already made it pretty clear they would be streched to thin.  I can't imagine living in this country and being in a position like flholland describes. The stories that came out of New Orleans still haunt me... I can't imagine having lived them. The thought of marshall law strikes a nerve and I think it should in every American Citizen but I can see that there have been times and will be times it's needed. I have nothing but the utmost respect for the people who serve in our military. We're living and breathing a big chunk of history right now. Decisions made today will effect future generations....there has to be a balance. 
Scotty View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 9:03am
In a serious pandemic the urban population will attempt to disperse into rural areas. This cannot be allowed to happen. Governments of all descriptions will understand the consequences of such a mass exodus and will take whatever means necessary to prevent it.

Without Law and Order you have nothing. No economy, no jobs, no food, no property, no land. You have nothing.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 9:31am
i amnot afraid of Law & Order, I am a law abiding citizen. What I am afraid of is the loss of liberty under marshall law. Also, under marshall law :

MARTIAL LAW

The following guide will help you plan, prepare, and get ready in the event that martial law threatens you safety and well being. It is divided into two parts. The first part describes the framework for martial law and the second part the actions to take in preparing or the actual declaration of martial law.

Martial law is defined as: military rule or authority imposed on a civilian population when the civil authorities cannot maintain law and order, as in a time of war or during an emergency.

•  
  • Executive Order 10995: All communications media are to be seized by the Federal Government. Radio, TV, newspapers, CB, Ham, telephones, and the internet will be under federal control. Hence, the First Amendment will be suspended indefinitely.
  • Executive Order 10997: All electrical power, fuels, and all minerals well be seized by the federal government.
  • Executive Order 10998: All food resources, farms and farm equipment will be seized by the government. You will not be allowed to hoard food since this is regulated.
  • Executive Order 10999: All modes of transportation will go into government control. Any vehicle can be seized.
  • Executive Order 11000: All civilians can be used for work under federal supervision.
  • Executive Order 11490: Establishes presidential control over all US citizens, businesses, and churches in time of "emergency."
  • Executive Order 12919: Directs various Cabinet officials to be constantly ready to take over virtually all aspects of the US economy during a State of National Emergency at the direction of the president.
  • Executive Order 13010: Directs FEMA to take control over all government agencies in time of emergency. FEMA is under control of executive branch of the government.
  • Executive Order 12656: "ASSIGNMENT OF EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS RESPONSIBILITIES", "A national emergency is any occurrence, including natural disaster, military attack, technological emergency, or other emergency that seriously degrades or seriously threatens the national security of the United States. Policy for national security emergency preparedness shall be established by the President." This order includes federal takeover of all local law enforcement agencies, wage and price controls, prohibits you from moving assets in or out of the United States, creates a draft, controls all travel in and out of the United States, and much more.
  • Martial law can be declared due to natural disasters, Y2k Crisis, Stock Market crash, no electricity, riots, biological attack, .... anything leading to the breakdown of law and order.

Power breeds the Need for more power.

Once all this "Control" has been established,will we go back to life with the liberties we have always enjoyed?
 And in the mean time, I feel obligated to say, that they can have my food (What is in eyeshot that is) and I will cry and plead with them not to.
When they have gone, I'll retrieve some of my cache! These are the issues I really think we should discuss, I will use makeup to make myself look very ill, so as not to be put into forced labor amongst possible flu sickies.
gogo View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gogo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 9:54am
You people that look forward to martial law and think it to be necessary, you are thinking like a subject and not a free individual.

With no standing army to come in and take over our cities we would still have the ability to organize ourselves to take care of ourselves.  Most of you aren't waiting for someone else to feed you, why are looking for someone to herd you?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 10:03am

There's one thing to keep in mind I think, the US military is made up of our family and friends. My brother serves in the Air Force. I think these people for the most part are very loyal americans, that's why they serve in the armed forces. The vast majority of them are NOT going to be a party to some kind of dictatorial(is that a word?) take-over. These are people that believe in 'the american way'. They all have families themselves. Even if our president had some kind of 'master plan' (which I find highly unlikely) he would not only find himself in a position of controlling the masses, he would also find himself in the position of controlling the military. I mean think about it, how many of you know someone that's in the military? Do you really believe that any of them would go along with that kind of a plan? Why would they? It's not like military pay is very high, so they would just continue to serve in an organization that no longer upholds the values they signed up to protect? For a pittance? I think most of them would go AWOL and reform to revolt against such a thing.

NawtyBits View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NawtyBits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 10:16am
IMHO, martial law at the national level is impractical and impossible.  There are simply not enough troops to control the largest cities, much less every city.  If there is a severe pandemic, the military will lose troops to the flu, will lose initiative, and will lose motivation.  There is NOTHING motivating about having to fire on the people the military was sworn to protect.

I think martial law is the very least of our worries.  I'd be more worried about incompetence than infantry.

nawty
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic