Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

WATER

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
meewee View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meewee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 6:59pm
God Bless us all!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 5:53pm

Originally posted by bruss01:

I am hoping for a fairly brief crisis, 2-6 months.  Currently we have some store-bought water in jugs for immediate use. We have over 100 gallons of water available in bulk storage. In a long-term emergency, myself and my wife would have to rely on water from our local river (which in time of crisis may be polluted  with untreated sewage or runoff) . So I share your concern about how to purify water on a long term basis.

I'd like to invite you to investigate the First Need water filter that is capable of removing darn near everything you'd find objectionable in water intended for drinking.  You can get replacement cartriges for the unit.  Many friends and I have used these on backpacking trips, the water has always been crystal clear.  One caution -  you need to protect the unit from freezing since the ceramic element can crack if frozen. 

For our bulk storage and for treating any questionable water obtained from an impure source, we plan to use swimming pool shock (calcium hypochlorite) to treat water.  We plan to have 4 barrels of 55 gallon capacity to store "city water", and we will be adding a minimal amount of shock just to give a base level of protection during storage, since the barrels will be sealed and the water changed out for fresh every 6 months.  We will have extra shock on hand for treating non-city water if needed.  We think this is better than bleach because calcium hypochlorite will store in dry form nearly indefinitely (10 years), whereas liquid chlorine bleach loses half of it's potency after a year (use twice as much for the same effect) and is next to worthless after two years.

For those who remember Y2K, here's a flashback for you:

"Dry chlorine, also called calcium hypochlorite has the added benefit of extended shelf life. Providing it is kept dry, cool and in an airtight container, it may be stored up to 10 years with minimal degradation. If you want to keep chlorine in larger quantities, this is the item to store (according to Bingo1). It must be ONLY 65% calcium hypochlorite, no addtional anti-fungals or clarifiers. In an EXTREMELY well ventilated area, (Hint: OUTSIDE!) add and dissolve one heaping teaspoon of high-test granular calcium hypochlorite (approximately 1/4 ounce) for each two gallons of water. Five pounds of dry pool bleach costs about $10-15, which will make about 92 gallons of bleach, which will sterilize 706,560 gallons of clear water, or 353,280 gallons of cloudy water. "

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 5:52pm

Originally posted by corky52:

My view is that the likely length of this  event is sooner or later going to force most of us to hunt water, lots of water!  The little survival filters aren't going to hack it for very long or be a very comfortable volume.  Do you have a way to move volumes of water easily, it's heavy and bulky to move, and you'll need lots of it.  Can you clean the water and then kill all the bad stuff you can't see?

Fact: Water weighs 8 plus pounds per gallon!  5 gallons of water weighs 40 pounds, remember the pictures of the people with shoulder poles that had small buckets of water at each end, brutal!!

Fact: There are all kinds of crap that end up in free water, most of them nasty and hard to deal with. 

Fact: Viruses are extremely hard to kill in water and we'll be dealing with a virus based threat plus all the normal things.

We need to look beyond storage to purification if this event is as real as we believe.  Simple stuff will make effective purification but you have to have it on hand ahead of time.  You need to look for water sources you'll be able to access and at how you'll move the water to your places. 

AuntBones View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuntBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 5:40pm
Locate shut off valve to your main waterpipe in  your house. Make sure you have a wrench to turn it off if need be. If your city water system is down remember do not drink the water for 72 hours.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 5:17pm

I store my water in washed out 2 litre pop bottles..few drops of regular house bleach...

Also when and if power goes out..fill all of your pots,sink,tubs and any containers you have with water..to use for washing..you can also use the water in your hot water tank(I have read lately it would be ok to dring)

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 4:27pm

Important information about water.

Storing

Disinfecting

Collecting & Conserving

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
  Share Topic