Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

FOOD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2006 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by honeybee honeybee wrote:

Can someone tell my why people are saying to buy your tuna in oil, not water?

Thanks

More calories than water.

Survival does have an 'I'!

Dodging 'canes on Florida's central Gulf Coast
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2006 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by honeybee honeybee wrote:

I cannot find where I saw it before, so I will ask here.

Can someone tell my why people are saying to buy your tuna in oil, not water?

Thanks

Oil will preserve it longer than water.  Has a much longer shelf life.  I think I read that on "Hillbilly housewife"
Irene View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2006 at 9:54pm
Tips to avoid fatulence from eating beans:

- Discard the soaking water prior to cooking
- Cook the beans thoroughly
- Give your body time to adjust
- Choose beans that are easier to digest
- Cook beans with a bay leaf, cumin, epazote, or kombu
- Avoid beans that are cooked with added sweeteners
- Try a digestive enzyme product

Explanations here:

GreenTeam View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenTeam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2006 at 1:31pm
I just placed my first order at the new Amazon Grocery, at amazon.com. Everything is sold in bulk (as far as I could tell). They have a good selection of organic products as well as the regular stuff. Right now you can get $10 off your order of $49 or more, plus shipping is free on any order over $25. What a deal!

I ordered some granola, beef stew, and mac n cheese. In my next orders I'm planning to get some granola bars, chili, bisquick, and bread mix. They have a chocolate soy pudding that doesn't need refrigeration.

Just thought I'd pass along the info in case anyone wants to check it out!
mamooo View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamooo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2006 at 1:51am
amazon.com had betty crocker complete meals for 11.40 a box great price with 3 meals to a box and free shipping  thought i'd pass it on
carol
Trigger View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2006 at 4:14pm
I was mentioned toi post this here.

I have 4 boxes of Tamiflu for sale.  Each box has 10 - 75 mg doses.  The original RX is obn the bos.  My husband wa laid off ond we are tryng to get our bills down. 

I am a very honest person.  I think Albert would vouch for me.

Gob Bless!!!

Please PM me and let's talk.  I paid top $$ for these but would take $100 a box.

Thanks
Trigger View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2006 at 4:19pm
I was told I should post this in the forum.

I have 4 boxes of Tamiflu for sale.  Each box contains 10 - 75mg doses.  The original RX is on the boxes and they are all sealed.

My husband was laid off and we need to get the bills paid.

I paid top$$ for these but will take $400 obo for all or will sell each one.

I am a very honest person.  My local pharmacy name is on the RX.  I think Albert can vouch for me.

Please PM me and let's chat.

Gob Bless and thanks.
Dlugose View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dlugose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2006 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Trigger Trigger wrote:

I was told I should post this in the forum.
 I have 4 boxes of Tamiflu for sale. 
Selling prescription drugs here could possibly get the forum as well as yourself in legal trouble.  Sorry to hear of your problem, and perhaps friends could be a resource.
Dlugose RN AAS BA BS Cert. Biotechnology. Respiratory nurse
June 2013: public health nurse volunteer, Asia
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2006 at 2:03pm
This has probably been posted before,
Hamburger helper has microwaveable  single serving meals now.You get 4 packs per box.just add water.Picked up some to try today.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2006 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by TheWalkinDude TheWalkinDude wrote:

This has probably been posted before,
Hamburger helper has microwaveable  single serving meals now.You get 4 packs per box.just add water.Picked up some to try today.

I saw that at the grocery store this week, please let me know what you think. Jo
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2006 at 2:36pm
I bought some of these for my kids to try...YUCK!  Taste nothing like the regular Hamburger Helper...very bland and the noodles come out very mushy....Dead
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2006 at 4:04pm
Just  tried them and they were pretty bad.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2006 at 4:16pm

Thanks raptureready and thewalkingdude,

I almost never try new stuff without hearing from someone else who has tried it. Been burnt too many times, LOL. Jo

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 11:15am
We may be getting our own MRE supplier soon.They have a good site.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by TheWalkinDude TheWalkinDude wrote:

We may be getting our own MRE supplier soon.They have a good site.

I have heard both bad and good about MRE's from both Military personel and civilians. Have you tried them? Anyone have a comment? I didn't get any because of the conflicting stories, but I would have liked to if they actually were tasty. Jo
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 12:27pm
Im prior service and I still crave one every now and then.I think they have upgraded the menu since then.They are eazy to heat just leave it in the sun or in the winter put them on your heater.
doomsmom View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doomsmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2006 at 3:57pm
Just finished dehydrating tomatoes today, so now have a good supply of sun dried tomatoes.  Have done lots of veggies in the dehydrator, but don't have much luck with potatoes.  Anybody got any suggestions?? Would really appreciate it.
Lasiker View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lasiker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2006 at 6:56am

Looks like the group buy code was automatically sheilded, sorry.  Not sure if we are just not supposed to use the name...  Anyone have any suggestion on how I can post it? 

Lets try this; f l u Avian Flu Talk   only with no spaces.  Is that OK to say??
Lasiker View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lasiker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2006 at 6:57am
OK - I give up...  Can anyone help?
admin View Drop Down
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2006 at 12:12am
Hi Lasiker, we can't post links to other forums at this time.

I apologize for any inconvenience,
A
Lasiker View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lasiker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2006 at 11:43am
No probem - thanks for the explanation.  I guess folks will just have to dig around on a different forum with a similar subject if they want the code to save money on canned cheese, butter and mres.

Thanks!
Trailsend View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trailsend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2006 at 11:59am
If folks google group buy at mredepot they will find the site you are referring to.  Btw, I ordered from them Monday and got my stuff yesterday, all in great condition.  Discount was 21%.

Hope that helps.
"I got the rockin' pneumonia...and the boogie-woogie flu..."
James Taylor
ancestra26 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ancestra26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2006 at 8:38pm
i cant say that i'll end uo getting all things that i require but, at least try to get most of canned foods as my parents used to get when i used to live on a farm.

look at whats around you, won't you help to change all of it??
gretchen View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gretchen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2006 at 7:38pm
Has anyone seen the Hormel dinners, spaghetti, sweet and sour chiicken,  salisbury steak, etc?  I thought it might be a great prep, and would be a change of pace from the rice and beans. 
I am on a budget and want to ecconomize as much as possible.  I also want to have a variety of foods.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2007 at 10:18pm
    www.beprepared.com is a good place.
dverkamp View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dverkamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2007 at 10:17pm
You may also want to search the following suppliers:

MRE (Meals Ready to Eat)
Food Ration Bars
Canned Food (meat, butter, cheese)

MRE (Meals Ready to Eat)
Food Ration Bars
Freeze Dried Food
Other Emergency Items

MRE (Meals Ready to Eat)
Food Ration Bars
Freeze Dried Food
Other Emergency Items

MRE (Meals Ready to Eat)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2007 at 10:24am
Hi does anyone know of any website or outlets in the U.K. thats sells canned butter, cheese,etc?.thanks
johngardner1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2007 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by Rhino1978 Rhino1978 wrote:

Hi does anyone know of any website or outlets in the U.K. thats sells canned butter, cheese,etc?.thanks

I would just go to the store, you'll pay for shipping. Be aware that cheese won't last forever in the fridge. My margarine does last for many months, but will mold if I leave it out (even when sealed in the tub) which is a pain cuz hard butter is more difficult to spread than soft butter.

I am not a prophet
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2007 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by johngardner1 johngardner1 wrote:

I would just go to the store, you'll pay for shipping. Be aware that cheese won't last forever in the fridge. My margarine does last for many months, but will mold if I leave it out (even when sealed in the tub) which is a pain cuz hard butter is more difficult to spread than soft butter.

I think your right,il just go to the store and get it shipped.Thanks
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2007 at 3:32pm
    Save the shipping, just go buy your preps. Don't starve yourself, go ahead and buy milk, eggs, cheese and other perishables, but make sure you obtain and cycle your preps regularly. Move that older can of tuna to the front.
I am not a prophet
JONESIE View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JONESIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2007 at 5:27am
Originally posted by gretchen gretchen wrote:

Has anyone seen the Hormel dinners, spaghetti, sweet and sour chiicken,  salisbury steak, etc? 

Be sure and have a few bottles of TUMS for the tummy. I tried  each one of the dinners and had to take a TUMS within 20 minutes.
But then, it may not affect some people like it did me.
They tasted fine, but I don't have a problem with canned foods as much.
Be sure and buy a lot of antacids anyway. You never know when a food you like suddenly causes indigestion.

Suppose they throw a pandemic and nobody shows up ----
then what?

birdfluwatcher View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birdfluwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2007 at 6:04pm
why are people buying MREs there is no reason to eat that!! The stores are plentiful for even storing...
Ro2935 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ro2935 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2007 at 3:00pm

I have bought ghee instead of butter, dried whole eggs from larger branches of Tescos, but the shelf life is only 3 months so I have put a couple of tins into the freezer and will try to use them in a couple of months time.   Also frozen sachets of yeast.
Have not found any websites based in the uk that I can buy in bulk and they deliver.

Do you know of anywhere in the UK we can buy oxygen absorbers from?
hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2007 at 11:07am
what is ghee?
Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2007 at 3:45pm
    Don't bother with trying to bake your own bread, bread from the store is cheaper and can be frozen. I freeze my bread all the time, it can be a bit damp but not grossly so. Bread outside the fridge is good for about four days, but bread in the fridge is great for weeks before molding.
I am not a prophet
hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2007 at 5:41pm
Sounds like a plan. The school i do my vocational food service class at freezes their bread
Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
Ro2935 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ro2935 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2007 at 1:28am
Originally posted by hachiban08 hachiban08 wrote:

what is ghee?

Ghee is found in ethnic stores [Indian] and is clarified butter that is canned.
anon54 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anon54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2007 at 10:09am
Ghee also has a great shelf life.Indefinate if I'm not mistaken.
jaspercat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaspercat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 11:06am
Hi, I spent a lot of time on this forum a year or two ago - love the changes!

There was talk at one time about how to store your flour. Basically, I learned to put it in the freezer for three days, then store as air tight as possible.

With the price of flour rising, I have begun purchasing in quantity again. When I went to put them in an old freezer in the basement, I discovered 4 bags already in the freezer, having been there for over a year.

Now I am sure there is nothing poisonious about it, but does anyone know if it is still good? I would hate to make bread and discover it never rises!

Thanks if anyone knows...
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 10:17pm
If the flour was not sealed in a plastic bag it could have a "freezer" taset but will it hurt you, NO. The flour has nothing to do with the rise your yeast/baking power/baking soda and salt makes bread rise.

I would make a loaf and see if the flavor is off because the flour will absorb ordor if not sealed in a plastic type bag.

Report back to us we would all like to know! Glad you came back to this forum I am realitivly new and love all the information and sharing of ideas.
jaspercat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaspercat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2008 at 10:18am
Hi - ty for the info - with the way flour has risen in price, it would kill me to be throwing it away because I got sidetracked a year ago...

I may luck out...This is a broken refrigerator (you either have refrig or freeze in both compartments at same time). So, no food in the frig that wasn't canned or sealed. The only item in the freezer was the flour itself (in the paper sack, inside a plastic grocery bag). Here is crossing my fingers.  I use a bread machine - they are fantastic!

I had trouble logging in so created a new member name - Honeybee was my old posts - mostly in the canning forum.

So - WELCOME to the forum. It has been a great place for me to learn things, even if you aren't being a prepper. 

Work has been more difficult to find, and money has been tight; then gas rises (I have to travel minimum 25 miles to find skilled jobs [not any more] and I use a pickup truck); not to mention the recent rise in the prices for food. 

I am so grateful that I found this site in its earlier days.

I learned how to can here.  The value and pleasure of making my own bread. What to stock up on, how not to over buy stuff you won't eat.  What to buy whether we like it or not (like rice and powdered milk).  The ecomonic tips from the users, yada yada yada, this is what is going to help me through this recession and/or depression.  I worked for so many years that I didn't realize how much I relied on convenience foods and eating out.

It seems since last summer things slowed down on this forum.  But it could just be in the forums that I frequent - home economic stuff. 

I figured that maybe it was how in general the panic has wore off a little. I have taken it as a "relax, don't panic" time; before it was a helter skelter buying frenzy, now I can be more practical. (hubby likes baked goods in the morning. So knowing we will not be able to get them, I have been trying new recipes and copycats of things he likes. When they get a thumbs up from him - I go and calculate how many ingredients I need to make them say, once a week for six months).

I apologize for talking you ear off!  Seems I turned my thank you note into my own soapbox  LOL.  Suffice to say, this is a great forum and new readers should know we are still out there and willing to chat!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic