Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > Extra Prepping > Electricity and Solar Energy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

ELECTRICITY

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 7:45pm

For those that have a portable gas generator and a limited amount of gasoline storage. A adapter kit that allows you to use gas,propane,natural gas on most portable gennys.

http://www.propane-generators.com/a-c_kits.htm#tri-fuel

Enumclaw,WA View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enumclaw,WA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 11:44am
Yeah, The plot thickins. Bigtime
RB
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 11:32am

Originally posted by Enumclaw,WA Enumclaw,WA wrote:

Here's a link for making power using a bicycle and a automotive Alternator. I ordered the parts needed so if I have to, I have them on hand to build this for recharging batteries. Also so I get my exercise when we are hold up at home.

Oh MAN - You are screwing me up!  All along I've been thinking "The Omega Man" and now you tell me the plot is "Soylent Green."

Dammit.

Enumclaw,WA View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enumclaw,WA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 11:00am
Here's a link for making power using a bicycle and a automotive Alternator. I ordered the parts needed so if I have to, I have them on hand to build this for recharging batteries. Also so I get my exercise when we are hold up at home. Should also be real quiet.
http://www.c-realevents.demon.co.uk/altgen/altpedgen.htm

Edited by Enumclaw,WA
RB
Ella Fitzgerald View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ella Fitzgerald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2006 at 3:11pm

Okay, I have ordered a couple of the solar panels below and need someone to teach me how to convert these to produce power. I have put the description of the solar panels below. I have no experience with solar power and hoping someone can help direct me through this.

Thanks in advance!

12 Volt 12"x12" Solar Panel

Power about 3-4 Watts Construction glass plate
Voltage 14-18 Open Circuit Connectors Screw Terminals
Current 250-350 ma Short Circuit Mfg. Chronar in New Jersey
Condition never used, surplus Frame none

Includes 1 Amp Blocking Diode and Power Terminals.

Generate Electricity from the Sun!

An environmentally friendly and cost effective way to produce electricity wherever you are. Perfect for powering electronic devices and charging NIMH and NICAD batteries. The solar panels can be connected in series to increase the voltage, or connected in parallel to increase the current (amps).

Ideal for:

• Solar Energy Experiments
  • 12v battery charging for your car, boat motor, golf cart, RV, tractor, truck
  • Providing portable power
  • Power up small fans, pumps, lights, radios, cellular phones, fax, and laptop computers
  • Camping, playing at the beach, vacation home, boating, fishing, picnicking, farming, trolling, hunting, game feeders, and gardening.

These are surplus production panels.  There are surface blemishes or color variations on the front or back of the panel. This does not effect the power output. The panels produce the power indicated in the table above at noon on a cool, clear, sunny day. The solar panels look like a piece of black glass on one side and have a conductive silver coating on the other side.

Each solar panel includes a 1 amp blocking diode, clip on screw terminals and instructions. The blocking diode keeps connected batteries from discharging (loosing power) throught the solar panel at night. 

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 10:28pm
Here is something to investigate if you are considering powering your house with a generator: 

http://members.rennlist.org/warren/generator.html

http://www.imsasafety.org/journal/marapr/ma5.htm

corky52 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corky52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 5:08pm
Two solar panels, four 6v golf cart batteries, 5 gallons of distilled water, several inverters and careful selection of electronic equipment.  Boondock camping 101.  Also add cheap fluorescent lights from Wally World.
willow41 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willow41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 1:32pm

I have battery operated Family size Coleman laterns. Candles of all sizes, especially pillar sizes. I bought a battery operated Coleman tv/radio/siren/lamp at Target. Plus, loads of batteries.

We also have a generator that we run when power is out, but it is loud. And we only have so much gas. So not really relying on this.

Firewood, real and store bought.

You can purchasing propane heaters to use for the winter. Will find these in camping supply sections at stores or online.

I still want to get solar battery chargers and batteries,  and a solar powered/ crank radio.

Spoon View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 7:05am

Ella,

Standard A/Cs and Refrigerators are expensive to power off-grid.  I have very little knowledge about water or wind power, but have been researching solar for the past several months.

Backwoods Solar was a big help.  They start with the basics and then breakdown several popular sample systems.  You can see what it takes, and costs, for your power needs.

Sunfrost makes the best line of high-efficient refrigerators/freezers that work well with solar power.

It's not so much the apocalypse... but the credit card bills ;-)
Ella Fitzgerald View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ella Fitzgerald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 11:12pm

Okay, I live in south central US and it gets pretty darn hot during summer time so what is a realistic energy source for an air conditioner?

I foresee that a refridgerator is a priority for electricity if you have it.

Spoon View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 7:46pm
You can cover your windows with blackout material or those silver energency blankets.  That would also keep your home warmer.
It's not so much the apocalypse... but the credit card bills ;-)
libbyalex View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote libbyalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 6:25am
Simple, I know. When it gets dark outside, go to bed. When dawn breaks, wake up! Adapt schedule to the rising and setting of the sun. -- Libby
TNbebo408 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNbebo408 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 10:35pm
Get some driveway solar lights, they cheap and work OK, also use a 12 volt jump start unit to power 12 volt lights, take the dome lights from a junk car for this, use a solar charger to keep the unit charged up.

If no one else has lights, the darkness will be your best friend, don't light up and become obvious.

Store gas after treatment, in dark cool place. Sunlight degrades gas, and vaporizes it also.

Only run genset enough to keep freezer frozen. Store just enough gas to maintain freezer operation till the freezer is empty.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 8:35pm

Issues likely to effect electricity:

Storms throughout the year bring down power lines.  Who will repair them and how long will it take if they do have repair crews?  Will they have the spare parts to effect the repairs?  This will be local outages, but if it's your locale it won't matter to you how wide spread it is.

Will the fuel to run the power plants be available?  Will the manpower be available to run the plant?

The power grid is a complicated interconnected web.  Bring down 3 or 4 nodes and we may end up with a cascade outage.

Edited by SophiaZoe
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 5:10pm

candles for light

propane tank  for cooking

generator for electricity

batteries for  cd players radio

in short as many sourses of power for many diferent things

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 4:49pm

Important information about electricity and alternate means of power generation.

If we don't have power.

Generators.

Solar Power.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic