Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Coronavirus Pandemic: Prepping Forums > Extra Prepping > Communication Issues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

COMMUNICATION ISSUES

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: COMMUNICATION ISSUES
    Posted: January 29 2006 at 4:54pm

Important information on communications during a pandemic.

Internet access.

Walkie Talkies.

Telephone.

Cell Phones.

Text Messaging.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 10:07am

Hand Crank cell phone charger (for obvious reasons)

Just google it. :) You can get one for about $20 USD.

Here is one site that sells it http://www.soscharger.net/ (I have not purchased from them so I can not endorse this company, I am simply giving an example)

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2006 at 5:58am
Self-Powered Radios

You can purchase small portable self-powered radios from Radio
Shack, that you can power-up for 30-minutes with one minute of hand
cranking.

Edited by Rick
Spoon View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2006 at 6:25am

CB radios are a great way to communicate when everything else fails.  A standard CB signal only travels about 4-8 miles, but mods can be made.

A friend of mine, who turned me on to this site, has done some research regarding converting base stations.  He found ways to enhance the signal across multiple states.

It's not cheap ($500-$700), but it might be a great way to continue this forum.

I, or my friend, will post more detailed info soon for anyone interested.

It's not so much the apocalypse... but the credit card bills ;-)
wannago View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 4:18pm
Find a local Ham radio operator as they can communicate worldwide.    I used to be one but let my license lapse .  

There's someone round here as I spotted the antennae.  Must go and say Hi
wannago
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 10:48pm
Right now the problem is time.  To get on the really long bands requires an FCC license.  While I'm sure the FCC won't be knocking on our doors during an emergency, we'd not only be clueless but also in the way of the real Hams, who have proven, over and over again to be the backbone of communication in a true crisis.  However, it's not too hard to find CBs that have been modified to also transmit and receive in the 10 meter band, these also have builtin amplifiers boosting them from 4 watts CB to up to 200!  Alot of truckers have been doing this.  The 10 meter band has some distance and is also considered a 'Ham' band.  You could communicate with friends, as well as the outside world.  At your leisure, you could take the 35 question test and do the morse for the FCC to get legitmately on the band, but in the meantime, if H5N1 happens, you've got two-way, both CB and low level Ham for about a $500 investment.
wannago View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2006 at 12:27am
Aodhan
A short wave HF receiver would be enough to keep yourself informed.  I'm certainly not advocating getting in the way of real Hams, just if you have one in the neighborhood, they can keep you updated on what's happening worldwide. 

It took me so long to get to 25wpm morse; I can't face it again 
wannago
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2006 at 11:26am

Heh.  It's been along time since I took the test (1977) - the FCC does'nt even have me on record anymore.  I talked to a Ham friend of mine and said they do lapse. 

Anyway - after long discussion with said Ham, I've concluded that 2-meter is probably the best way to go for what I'm seeking.  He and most of his Ham friends also maintain 2-meter set-ups.  We live an a suburban system with a heavy 2 meter infrastructure that has a lot of generator backup.

What I'm seeking is not so much the "big news" worldwide - I think I'll get enough of that sensationalist stuff.  I want news from all the towns and stuff within a 30 - 50 mile radius.   The stuff like, "If I leave my house to go to town, what's happening out there?"

Also, for myself and few likeminded friends, we'd like to simplex and not use the repeater system to communicate with each other.

The cost and technology is right - for $400 we can get up and running with a maybe 50 mile radius and airwave connection to many Hams.

The Downside: we can listen, but if we transmit, we're breaking the law until we get our Techniciains licenses, though I doubt we'd be hunted down unless we made nuisances of ourselves somehow.

The Upside: we can install, study ( my guides on the way and I already know Morse, which isn't even required any more for a Technicians), and if there's time, take the test at a local Repeater club.   If we run out of time, we still have a communication system.  

Anyway - that's the current game plan!

-The Rock is Gonna Fall on Us - Harry Chapin

corky52 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corky52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2006 at 1:34pm

SAT INTERNET system with phone software!

TV antenna for local stations

SAT RADIO

SAT TV

Cell Phones with walkie talkie feature

Sats will be the last to go down! 

tybaltlives View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tybaltlives Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2006 at 7:10pm

I got a nice radio (Freeplay Summit) - they are available from many places on the internet but I got mine from 21stCenturyproducts.  I paid about $60-$70 for it. 

I like it because it has a crank generator and a solar panel - plus a normal 110 volt wall charger.  The batteries are NiMh - which are nice and have no charge memory. 

It is also entirely digital with a scan feature.  Many of the cheaper crank radios only have analog tuning - and I think this would be difficult to use.  In the Freeplay, once you have zoned in on the signal you can store it in memory and easily get back to it when you need to. It plays am/fm and shortwave bands.  I think the shortwave feature will be useful if the local radio stations run out of power and stop broadcasting.

For local communication in the immediate neighborhood I have GMRS/FRS radios.  They use AAA batteries - and I have a solar charger for those.   The range is only about a mile, though - even though the advertised range is 10 miles!

-R

Tansau View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tansau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2006 at 4:15am
For real-time information in an emergency situation, a public frequency
scanner (aka "Police Scanner" or even "NASCAR Scanner") can come in very
handy. In the case of riots, for instance, hearing where dispatch was
sending enforcement units could alert you to the proximity of trouble.

Civil defense, hospitals, sherrif's departments and even utility companies
often transmit over scannable frequencies, potentially giving you a wealth
of raw information unfiltered by mass media.

Before you purchase, however, you'll want to search out your local
frequencies and transmission types, and make sure you get a scanner
that can actually pick up your local area. Large urban areas are now using
"trunking" technology that requires much more expensive units. Rural
areas often use more standard frequencies that can be scanned by units
in the under US$100 range.
Enumclaw,WA View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enumclaw,WA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2006 at 5:21am
The VHF radio in my boat travels a long way and can talk to Coast Guard and some police too. Gets weather and can talk to other people. It's parked in my driveway. So it is handy. Under $250.00 for complete set up. Doesn't have to be in a boat either.
RB
Mississipp Mama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2006 at 7:36pm
Hi Enumclaw, I am intrested in the VFH radio,  I would love to be able to talk to other people during any crisis.  Is this  complicated to set up and operate?  In your opinion where would be the best place to set one up.  Does it have to be outside or could I put it in the house?  You can tell I don't know much about this system.  Do you talk to strangers or do you have friends that have one too?
Spoon View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Spoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 8:31pm

Hi MM,

Bannor and I just recently set up VHF transceivers (2-meter HAM) on both ends... it works.  We can communicate no matter what happens.  We can also here a lot of what's happening in our area.

If you're interested, I or Bannor can give more detailed instructions.  Each setup ran about $500 (radio, AC power supply, 100' cable, antenna and mount).

You should get a license.  Not that difficult.  We're in the process but wanted to set up the radios first to make sure we could communicate.  For now we just listen... soon we will be able transmit legally.

It's not so much the apocalypse... but the credit card bills ;-)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2006 at 9:05pm

WOW Spoon!!! 

Could I ask you to post the information??? Pretty please!!!!

I think it would be something to consider, but I readily admit, I'm clueless.  I think I will also scrounge the bookstore for a good For Dummies type of book.  $500.00 is doable, I didn't realize it could be done so reasonably.

Debi

Enumclaw,WA View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enumclaw,WA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 4:19am
Mississipp Mama,
The one in my boat runs on 12V. Solar panels to recharge batteries. Yes it could be set up Inside the house. nNot hard to set up either. You would need 12V power supply. Antenae would have to be outside is all. You could talk to friends if they are close enough. Otherwise strangers. But you could see how other people are coping.Check out boaterworld online. Then you would be able to see prices.
RB
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 9:31am
Originally posted by SophiaZoe SophiaZoe wrote:

Could I ask you to post the information??? Pretty please!!!!

I got everything we needed at Ham Radio Outlet:

http://www.hamradio.com/ 

Spoon and I are 14 miles apart and we can talk loud and clear at 5 watts.   It can transmit up to 75 wattts. The radio has at least 3 national weather channels and also receives in the 150-159 range where most police and emergency services are, so it is also good to 'monitor the pulse' of the community.  2 meter radios also make alot of use of "repeaters", which though you need a license to transmit on, you can monitor easily.  That allows people from further away than your radios range to communicate with you and you with them.  Since it is mostly a "local" type radio, your reception and transmit without the reapeater appears, by all accounts, to be up to 75 miles. (!!!)  Besides being able to talk to Spoon, we want to be able to hear what's happening 5 - 10 miles away - I'm sure the News will tell us what's happening in the cities...or at least as much as we need to know.

• ICOM V8000
  • Diamond F-22A Antenna (10 ft)
  • 100 Ft low Loss Coax ( you may need/want less)
  • 12 volt "clean" power supply (for 110v use - radio is 12v)

Order these:

• IC-V8000        &nbs p;    209.95  ($20 mail rebate your end cost $189.95)
  • F-22A         & nbsp;         & nbsp; 99.95     
  • CXP1318FC100      98.95
  • SEC1223          ;        99.95   

You will need a 5 ft or 10 ft mast from Radio Shack, as well as a 4, 6 or 8 inch mounting bracket for the mast.  Assembly is very easy, as is mounting, Spoon and I each had ours up in about an hour.  His was a little harder because of the hieght of his chimney.  I needed a 10ft mast, but I could stand to mount mine.  He could probably upload more pictures of the radio, etc.  I'll attach one of my antenna.  

There is a book "Now You're Talkin!".  I got it via the arrl's website http://www.arrl.org/catalog/lm/ (sorry, Spoon - I had thought Amazon, but now that you made me look up all the other data - I found it here.)  Amazon has it and truthfully, you'll probably get it faster from them.  According to them it takes about 2 weeks to get listed by the FCC on their web page after you take the exam and that's when you're legal to transmit.  It'd be nice, prior to the SHTF to do so, and during also.
The book also talks a lot about 'simplex' communication (person to person) and 'duplex' (repeater) operation.   The ARRL home page off that link has a ton of radio info.

Spoon gave me a repeater link,
http://www.artscipub.com/repeaters/, but we won't/can't really get on them until after being licensed...to do so both before or during SHTF would probably actually get those guys out and about to find us - (believe it our not, that's a ham thing anyway - contests to find transmitters dumped off someplace and whoever finds it wins).   So, I don't really want to be "on the radar" until legal, though I don't think talking simplex with Spoon would cause any problems if we stayed out of the way and didn't jam up any repeaters...so it will be good to know where the repeaters are in your area, so you don't step on them.

Also, check around for local "repeater" clubs as they are known....they will be the folks we'll be getting our news from and are emergency minded folks...chances are, if there is anybody in your community that might be liked minded it'd be them.

Of course.....I will still be sort of shuffling and very non-committal in my personal conversation.

I don't know how well these pictures will come out...ah...I see...cool..

Interestingly enough, we have needed to do a ton of work on the side of our house for several years and have been mucking about with contractors and architects...now we're glad we didn't....nothing of interest here folks....

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 9:34pm
  Thanks for the infor Spoon. I am very intrested in this set up .  Please post it.  How do i go about getting a license?  Who should I contact?  What are the chances of a strong wind blowing this systen down.  I guess you just put it back up right.  Thanks guys.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2006 at 9:47pm

Originally posted by Mississipp Mama Mississipp Mama wrote:

Thanks for the infor Spoon. I am very intrested in this set up .  Please post it.  How do i go about getting a license?  Who should I contact?  What are the chances of a strong wind blowing this systen down.  I guess you just put it back up right.  Thanks guys.

Just look one post up, Momma.  That's the setup that I scored for Spoon and I.

Angel View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 8:41am
I wonder how people will know when it is safe to go out if there is no telephone service or electricity?  I live out in the country and I don't have any close neighbors. 
Angel
Rocky View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 11:08am
Hi Angel, there are many inexpensive handcrank/solar/battery radios that
will provide you with information even if the the power and phone are
out.

AM/FM, also shortwave (more expensive). In addition, we are connecting
to a trusted neighbor with a 12 mile radius walkie talkie. Take a look at
some of your options...our company and our personal concern
http://www.homeemergencyusa.com/Radios-and-
Flashlights_1_category.html    (copy & paste)

Please don't flame me, this is not an advertisement. We had provided
information about homeemergencyusa.com in the forum where you could
find commecial site information. That seems to have disappeared.

We want to help our forum friends any way we can. We provide very
personal service (family company) and we have the stock. No run-
arounds or delays.

Hope this is helpful. Rocky

Originally posted by Angel Angel wrote:

<FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3>I
wonder how people will know when it is safe to go out if there is no
telephone service or electricity?  I live out in the country and I don't have
any close neighbors. 

Prepare for the Unexpected!
Rocky
http://www.homeemergencyusa.com
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 8:43pm
I just wanted to mention what's probably obvious - make sure at least one of the phones in your house is a corded phone. Cordless phones are nice but they won't work if the power goes out.
Siameselade View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siameselade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 8:53pm
Yes, that's a really good point, I would think that we'd have phone service for a while. I hope so, I am also hoping for Internet to stay on for awhile to, we have cable, our daughters have Sat.  So I hope at least to be able to communicate
Siam
Trident/Delta View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trident/Delta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 12:13pm
Couple quick things - The morse code requirement for hams is no longer in effect. Just a written test on radio theory, electronic principals and station safety.
I am a General class Ham. I still use morse because it is much more reliable than voice. I guess that I have been appointed the un-official-official radio geek.  If you have any questions feel free to ask
maskman View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maskman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 9:31pm
simple,question here, and i don't have time to go thru all the excellent posts right now

i need a receiver - all i want to do is listen.

maximum flexibility, but my focus is local

if things start to happen, i am in an excellent position to monitor local events

my understanding is that any type of receiver is legal - it is the transmitting that you need a liscense for, correct?

regardless, i don't really care about legal issues.  by the time i turn this baby on, legal issues won't really matter any more.

i hope i never use it, but my guess is i can find one locally or on ebay
i just need to know what to look for, and how much i should pay.

if something happens, even just a car crash, i will hear the sirens, and i'd love to be able to flip a switch and listen in.  i am not a tech geek, so this needs to be an off-the-shelf unit

of course i'll keep you posted, once i hear anything

thanks in advance!

hope and pray for the best; prepare responsibly for the worst
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 1:17pm
Has anybody discussed how to make communications SECURE yet?  If the world really gets unsafe, the last thing I need is for the rest of the world to listen in while I talk to others.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trident/Delta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by Bumpman Bumpman wrote:

Has anybody discussed how to make communications SECURE yet?  If the world really gets unsafe, the last thing I need is for the rest of the world to listen in while I talk to others.

QUOTE=maskman]simple,question here, and i don't have time to go thru all the excellent posts right now

i need a receiver - all i want to do is listen.

maximum flexibility, but my focus is local

if things start to happen, i am in an excellent position to monitor local events

my understanding is that any type of receiver is legal - it is the transmitting that you need a liscense for, correct?

regardless, i don't really care about legal issues.  by the time i turn this baby on, legal issues won't really matter any more.

i hope i never use it, but my guess is i can find one locally or on ebay
i just need to know what to look for, and how much i should pay.

if something happens, even just a car crash, i will hear the sirens, and i'd love to be able to flip a switch and listen in.  i am not a tech geek, so this needs to be an off-the-shelf unit

of course i'll keep you posted, once i hear anything

thanks in advance!

[/QUOTE]

Here is a 2-fer.

First maskman. You are correct that you are not in violation if you do not transmit. You can get a good multi-band receiver for about $200.00. But, that being said, i would consider investing in good used HF ham rig. 'bout $100 more, but you have the ability to transmit if you need it.

For Bumpman:

ComSec (Communications Security) will be a major issue going forward. It is presumed that you would be having comms with someone that you know. If that is the case, you need to develop a series of "brevity codes" that on the surface have no meaning except for those that need to receive them (kinda like 10-4 meaning "roger")  The military utilized a brevity code that was referred to as "Q and Z" signals. For instance, QBF means flying in a cloud. So, if I stated that "I am QBF" it is obvious. If asked as a question, it would be "Are you QBF?" THe ham community has quite a universal collection of Q codes. "Z" codes are specific to the US military.

Back in my "survivalist" days, there was an organization called NITRO which stood for "National Independently Trained Radio Operators"  They composed a CEOI (Communications and Electronic Operating Instructions) for NITRO operators to use if it was TEOTWAWKI. I have a copy of it stashed away somewhere (I am a packrat). I will see if I can find a copy of it. It is only hardcopy though. I will have to transcribe it (or OCR it) into computer format.

T/D
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trident/Delta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 1:31pm
Quick exam[ple of what I am talking about:

AMATEUR RADIO "Q-SIGNALS"

QNA  Answer in prearranged order.
QNC  All net stations copy.
QND  Net is directed.
QNE  Entire net stand by.
QNF  Net is free.
QNG  Take over as net control station.
QNI  Net stations report in.
QNM  You are QRMing the net.
QNN  Net control station is [call sign].
QNO  Station is leaving the net.
QNP  Unable to copy you.
QNS  Following stations are in the net.
QNT  I request permission to leave the net.
QNU  The net has traffic for you.
QNX  You are excused from the net
QNY  Shift to another frequency.
QNZ  Zero beat your signal with mine.
QRG  Will you tell me my exact frequency?
QRH  Does my frequency vary?
QRJ  Are you receiving me badly?
QRK  What is the intelligibility of my signals?
QRL  Are you busy?
QRM  Is my transmission being interfered with?
QRN  Are you troubled by static?
QRO  Shall I increase power?
QRP  Shall I decrease power?
QRQ  Shall I send faster?
QRS  Shall I send more slowly?
QRT  Shall I stop sending?
QRU  Have you anything for me?
QRV  Are you ready?
QRX  When will you call me again?
QRY  What is my turn?
QRZ  Who is calling me?
QSA  What is the strength of my signals?
QSB  Are my signals fading?
QSD  Is my keying defective?
QSG  Shall I send messages?
QSK  Can you hear between your signals?
QSL  Can you acknowledge receipt?
QSM  Shall I repeat the last message?
QSN  Did you hear me?
QSO  Can you communicate with me?
QSP  Will you relay?
QST  General call preceding a message.
QSU  Shall I send or reply on this frequency?
QSW  Will you send on this frequency?
QSX  Will you listen?
QSY  Shall I change frequency?
QSZ  Shall I send each word more than once?
QTA  Shall I cancel message?
QTB  Do you agree with my counting of words?
QTC  How many messages have you to send?
QTH  What is your location?
QTR  What is the correct time?

T/D
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trident/Delta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 1:33pm
Go to  http://www.zerobeat.net/qrp/qsignals.html for a comprehensive list of Q signals

T/D
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trident/Delta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 1:40pm
Go to:

for info on "z"sigs.

T/D
Carpe Diem View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carpe Diem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 8:06am
Originally posted by justme justme wrote:

Hand Crank cell phone charger (for obvious reasons)

Just google it. :) You can get one for about $20 USD.

Here is one site that sells it http://www.soscharger.net/ (I have not purchased from them so I can not endorse this company, I am simply giving an example)

Hi Justme...

I just ordered a "Solio" solar-powered cell phone charger. 

It has a good review here:  http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11288_7-6427792-3.html?tag=arw   (The "crank" style chargers did not fare as well.)

I`ll now find out firsthand how good (or not good) it really is.

Best wishes!
maskman View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maskman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 8:50am
thank you everyone for the excellent information  i now know everything i need, within 24 hours, thanks to your help.

and now this info is here for all the world to see, for anyone to access

the true power of the internet

just my 2 cents here:

if it gets to the point where i need to listen in, for fear of my own safety, i do NOT want to be transmitting.  i might have a transmitter on hand, but it would be for the great rebuilding, the new society, the time when i can walk down to the town square with it under my arm,  and sit there and wait for someone who knows how to use it to show up, and together we can all figure out how to use whatever we have left.  that is the future i am prepping for, and i will have the resources on hand that i will need, even if i don't have the transmitter.  i have the receiver.  i will know how to find the transmitter if i think i need to.  i will be in control of the situation, to the best of my ability.

that is the future i am planning for

WHAT ARE YOU GETTING READY FOR?

hope and pray for the best; prepare responsibly for the worst
maskman View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maskman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2006 at 11:22am
just a quick update on my research and experiences

target had nothing is store i could find easily

best buy only has them online

radio shack seems to be the answer, which is what i initially expected anyway

seems that the pro-94 and pro-97 will both meet my needs

pro - 97 is my first choice, at least for now

i will report back after i get back this afternoon

there is a wal-mart next door, just in case, but i never did like going inside  walmart, esp.  when it's crowded

walmart has been a great resource to our family these last 2 weeks

i still avoid it like the plague, so to speak

i remember after katrina, when the gas stations started to close here a few days later, a friend of mine described the mad rush to get the last gas

it was like walmart at christmas, she said

that says it all.  i always follow the weather, i respect it immensly
i had my gas topped off already, and i waited an extra day - the wife didn't think that we really needed to do it at all.  i tried to tell her otherwise; i explained my reasoning to her.  she pointed out that we still had half a tank, so i bit my tounge and agreed with her.

when gas went up 10 cents overnight,  all she had to do was see the sign at the gas station.  i didn't even have to point it out to her.  she noticed the price, and she was pulling into the station to top off without me saying another word.  she is smart.  i know that.  and we still didn't have to wait in line.

i would never have let it go that far.

thanks again for all the help

end transmission

maskman View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maskman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 12:15pm
i got the pro-97 on sale!

$50 off - got the rechargable batteries too, for an extra $20

it will work on regular AA batteries as well, just in case.  still in the box, but i am happy

very happy

for lots of different reasons

but that is just me

thanks again to everyone who helped!

bleva2 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bleva2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 10:43pm
The people who run this board might want to query all the members to find out who is a HAM.  HAMs have experience organizing communications such as weather nets when sever weather is coming upon a county.  HAM radios can also transmit packets.  In other words, they can become a wireless network.  I would suggest that HAMs form a group and start practicing relaying communications via this group.
detpat View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote detpat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 6:50pm
  radio shack has gmrs radios on sale, clearance, for  $29 including batteries and dual slot desktop chargers.
  pat
never underestimate the power of human stupidity
MercutioATC View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MercutioATC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2006 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by Spoon Spoon wrote:

CB radios are a great way to communicate when everything else fails.  A standard CB signal only travels about 4-8 miles, but mods can be made.

A friend of mine, who turned me on to this site, has done some research regarding converting base stations.  He found ways to enhance the signal across multiple states.

It's not cheap ($500-$700), but it might be a great way to continue this forum.

I, or my friend, will post more detailed info soon for anyone interested.

Please, do NOT do this!  I'm an air traffic controller and we currently get CB interference from an illegal CB transmitter on one of our ATC frequencies.  Apparently, the CB frequency is something like the 5th harmonic of our ATC frequency and it interferes with our ability to talk to airplanes at times.

The FCC has a REASON for the rules they post.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 8:18pm
  Hi everyone, I am taking a ham radio class.  It is being offered free at the Mormon Church in my area.  I have six weeks left.  I hope i have enough time to finish and take my eaxm.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2006 at 5:52pm
*** CAUTION ***
Communications in a pandemic (declared disaster) may not work as expected-

Internet access: may not be working after 3-4 days (saturated, maintenance issues at ISPs, capacity commandeered!)

GMRS/FRS Walkie Talkies: 2-3 mile range (need batteries) - need to work out a link to ham radio RACES operator in advance. Best for neighborhood use/support. GMRS radios require FCC license ($80, no exam). FRS does not seem to need license, but has reduced power (range). GMRS would probably have to be operated on low power, anyway, to conserve batteries.

Telephone: lines probably not available (much capacity commandeered!) May offer spotty service at best.

Cell Phones: failed quickly in 9/11 disaster (after 15 - 30 minutes!) Local "gummint" has the switch, too. Consider it commandeered!

Text Messaging: was partially effective in Katrina disaster, uncertain status in pandemic situation.

Ham radio: may well be limited to RACES operators by law, but probably working to some extent, may also be limited by such law to emergency traffic only. Possible availability for welfare traffic (family member status, etc.).

My recommendations:
(1) Take CERT training (posted this elsewhere, also).
(2) Form a CERT team in your neighborhood.
(3) Get FRS/GMRS radios - buy and learn to use them with your neighbors.
(4) Locate ham radio RACES operator (only for emergencies) He/she can listen on your FRS/GMRS frequencies but cannot speak on them legally. However, he/she may have licensed FRS/GMRS radio, also. Many do.
(5) Practice communicating with your ham operator. He/she may have a path to local Emergency Services (police, fire, medical, etc.).
(6) Work out contact schedules ("skeds") to conserve batteries and time.
(7) Be sure you have enough batteries.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2006 at 6:04pm
More on radios:
There are various qualities of GMRS/FRS handheld radios. General purpose consumer grade radios with 22 channels sell for under $40. Better quality radios are available at ham radio stores for about $160. The latter have greater range and use rechargable batteries.

Note 1: Check actual frequencies in instruction manual. Channel numbers may not correspond between cheap FRS radios and good GMRS/FRS designs.

Note 2: There are some frequency (channel) limitations in certain regions. Check these for legal operation.

Note 3: Remember to register and get your FCC license for the GMRS radios, which send out high (above 0.5 Watts) power.    
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2006 at 9:05pm
 I am planning to add a bc246t to my preps.I am a rank novice to scanning, could someone advise me as to what type of antenne I could buy to improve reception.Thank you in advance.
2ifbyC View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ifbyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2006 at 8:49am
Survival does have an 'I'!

Dodging 'canes on Florida's central Gulf Coast
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2006 at 10:42am
Thank you 2ifbyC.I'll definately check it out after I get my radio.
Rocky View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2006 at 3:40pm
In answer to some questions:

Solar/Handcrank Radios by Freeplay (The Summit) $43.50
Weather Alert Portable Radios by Oregon Scientific $34.50
           (includes emer. alerts stations as well as NOAH)
2-Way Radios by Motorola-FRS/GMRS (12 mile radius) $65.50
Radios and Flashlights

Hand Crank Cell Phone Charger (The Sidewinder) $22.50
Survival Tools

Why go all around town and spend hours searching the internet?
Start here for top quality and low prices. Look through our entire website....if you need it,
we probably have it.

We started our company after a detailed investigation of family emergency preparation items for our use. We may not be the biggest, but chances are we are the best!

Home Emergency USA.com

Hope to see you there. Just email me or give me a call if you need special help, have questions, etc. Contact info on our website.

I have been an Avia Flu Talk member for quite a while. My family and I value so much all the information we have gotten from this website.
Thank you, one and all.

Rocky
Prepare for the Unexpected!
Rocky
http://www.homeemergencyusa.com
jazzy View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2006 at 9:06pm
rocky,

i have wanted a volcano stove for some time--after i saw your post i did a search and you have a terrific price for the stove and accessories---ordered one today.  i have a solar oven that i love using and a reagular camping propane stove, but im really glad to find the volcano II becasue it is more versital than just he propane stove.

thanks
jazzy
Courage is Fear that has said its prayers

Jazzy Acre Herbals
http://jazzyherbals.xeir.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic