Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > Extra Prepping > Masks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

MASKS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
RotroShaggy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotroShaggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 3:50pm
Thanks, Justme.  Can I ask you how many you ordered?  I am trying to prepare for my girlfriend and myself.  I am sort of assuming an 18 month pandemic.  What do you think would be a reasonable number per person?  I am estimating having to go out about 3 times per week, but I am just guessing.  Also, do you have a smaller supply of the more expensive masks in case you have to go somewhere that is more "high risk" like the doctor's office or the dentist's office?  Thanks again.  Good to finally be a part of the forum.
RotroShaggy
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 3:17pm

Welcome RetroShaggy.

I have ordered 3M 8210 N95 masks for myself, and I am pleased with the fit. I also may consider using medical tape along the edges if I feel any doubt, but I am pretty confident.

I also ordered 3M 8110 N95 masks for my 9 year old daughter and am pleased with the fit as well.

I ordered from http://store.pksafety.net/dustmasks.html and was super pleased with their prices, customer service and delivery speed.

P.S.  we had a member write a helpful review of another type of mask, the nanomask http://superflutalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1034 

Deej View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 1:48pm
lots of stuff to stock up on- see alberts's list- good stuff... not sure on the masks--- btw welcome
dee
RotroShaggy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotroShaggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 1:21pm

I AM RE-POSTING THIS POST IN THE "PRIORITY PREPARATIONS" SECTION, HOPING FOR MAYBE A FEW MORE RESPONSES.  THANKS TO ALL THOSE WHO REPLY:

This is my first post to this forum.  First of all, thanks to all of you who have been posting and replying.  I have been reading this forum for several days now and find it very helpful.  My girlfiend thinks I am a nut for stockpiling water, respirators, latex gloves, soap, bleach, alcohol-based sanitizer and other household products.  I am now turning my attention to canned goods.  My goal is to be self-sufficient without going out for 90 days.  Not there yet and she thinks I'm an absolute loon.  ANYWAY, I'm sure there has been plenty of discussion about respirators on here, but I have a question:  Has anyone tried the 3M 8210 Plus respirator?  I ordered about 500 of the 3M 8000 (without first trying it on) and could not get a good fit.  So I sent them back and orderd about 360 of the "better" model, the 3M 8210.  I can't afford to pay much over a dollar per respirator if I am to have any meaningful quantity. Anyone have any comments about the 8210?  Any other comments would be helpful.  Am I correct to assume that, even though the H5N1 is only one micron, a N95 will still be effective because the virus will travel in clumps or on larger water droplets? Also, any thoughts on what else I should be stockpiling?  Batteries, razors & other toiletries, lighters, candles, etc. etc.?   THANKS AGAIN TO ALL OF YOU FOR BEING THERE.  Hope to hear some replies.

RotroShaggy
Stina View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 11:36am

Aha!  thanks for the info...It is pricey (I am in canada) but well worth it to keep my 3 year old safe.

Now onto finding dehydrated foods in Canada....

Doodlebug View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doodlebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 11:34am
Stina,

The FFP3 masks are the European equivalent of N100 or P100 - the safest protection you can buy.  I could only afford a few due to the exchange rate disadvantage and shipping costs, but I'm comfortable (as I can be without any direct medical knowhow) with my decision to choose them.

Stina View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 10:22am

Originally posted by Doodlebug Doodlebug wrote:

This company has masks for children 3-10 years old. 

I can't find the rating (N95 etc) on the childs masks...did you find that anywhere? 

I just want to be 110% before I order (this child size mask thing has me losing hair...)

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 9:59am

I purchased masks from http://store.pksafety.net/dustmasks.html

and had them in 48 hours. :)
I live in the same state they shipped from which helped too, but they shipped the same day that I ordered them.

Regarding the child size masks, the 3M 8110 N95 Particulate Respirators fit my 9 year old daughter quite well.

------------------------------

1 box of 20  - 3M 8110 N95 Particulate Respirators (size small)  - $16 USD

1 box of 20 - 3M 8210 N95 General Use Particulate Respirators (size regular) - $13.75 USD

Priority Shipping - Approx $4.

Edited by justme
Doodlebug View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doodlebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 8:51am
This company has masks for children 3-10 years old.  They are currently back-ordered until February 10. 

www.surviveall.co.uk
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 6:25pm

Originally posted by MaryKay:

Do buy a N95, N99, N100 mask.
Don't buy a surgical mask unless you plan on doing surgery. These masks are designed to protect the PATIENT from the health care worker's germs, not the opposite. They do not fit snuggly against one's cheeks, therefore they are useless. Their holes are 50 times {Approx.} the size of a N95. Virus is a tiny fraction of the size of bacteria.
Don't fold, bend, crease a mask. This causes a long hole, allowing virus in. If I was in this situation with no other mask available I would tape the fold on the outside.
Don't touch the outside of the mask with bare hands once you've worn it in public. When removing always use gloves. After use, hang indoors, away from humans, for three days before reuse. Bagging it is fine.
Don't reuse if mask becomes soiled, fluids.
Don't wear goggles if they interfere with mask, get smaller goggles. Goggles need to be air tight if effective, tape holes on side of goggles if you've purchased standard protective goggles.
Don't wear a mask with a beard. This will interfere with seal. The beard's gotta go.
Rubber bands go on upper head and upper neck area.
I can't find a suitable/well fitted mask for my 12 year old so if she must go outside I will completely tape the perimeter,{rim} of the mask securely to her face.
Store mask in a cool, dry place, not in sunlight as this will break down the material. {Second law of science, thermodynamics}
I find that masks don't fit as snuggly as I would like, the top, sides of the nose bridge area seems a tiny bit loose, even after I have adjusted the metal band, so I will tape the nose bridge area with a bandaid or paper tape, .....call me paranoid. : )

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 6:21pm

Originally posted by anitaRNpulmo:

I set a blog site about these problems with pics, docs, leaflets (how to, do/dont) , advices and links.
I am uploading the first pages ... Anita RN pulm nurse

http://avianflu-personal-protection.blogspot.com/

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 5:25pm

Important information about masks.

Recommendations about what to get.

Recommendations about sources.

Recommendations about usage.

Recommendations about re-use.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic