Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Coronavirus Pandemic: Prepping Forums > Extra Prepping > Masks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

MASKS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MASKS
    Posted: January 29 2006 at 5:25pm

Important information about masks.

Recommendations about what to get.

Recommendations about sources.

Recommendations about usage.

Recommendations about re-use.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 6:21pm

Originally posted by anitaRNpulmo:

I set a blog site about these problems with pics, docs, leaflets (how to, do/dont) , advices and links.
I am uploading the first pages ... Anita RN pulm nurse

http://avianflu-personal-protection.blogspot.com/

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 6:25pm

Originally posted by MaryKay:

Do buy a N95, N99, N100 mask.
Don't buy a surgical mask unless you plan on doing surgery. These masks are designed to protect the PATIENT from the health care worker's germs, not the opposite. They do not fit snuggly against one's cheeks, therefore they are useless. Their holes are 50 times {Approx.} the size of a N95. Virus is a tiny fraction of the size of bacteria.
Don't fold, bend, crease a mask. This causes a long hole, allowing virus in. If I was in this situation with no other mask available I would tape the fold on the outside.
Don't touch the outside of the mask with bare hands once you've worn it in public. When removing always use gloves. After use, hang indoors, away from humans, for three days before reuse. Bagging it is fine.
Don't reuse if mask becomes soiled, fluids.
Don't wear goggles if they interfere with mask, get smaller goggles. Goggles need to be air tight if effective, tape holes on side of goggles if you've purchased standard protective goggles.
Don't wear a mask with a beard. This will interfere with seal. The beard's gotta go.
Rubber bands go on upper head and upper neck area.
I can't find a suitable/well fitted mask for my 12 year old so if she must go outside I will completely tape the perimeter,{rim} of the mask securely to her face.
Store mask in a cool, dry place, not in sunlight as this will break down the material. {Second law of science, thermodynamics}
I find that masks don't fit as snuggly as I would like, the top, sides of the nose bridge area seems a tiny bit loose, even after I have adjusted the metal band, so I will tape the nose bridge area with a bandaid or paper tape, .....call me paranoid. : )

Doodlebug View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doodlebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 8:51am
This company has masks for children 3-10 years old.  They are currently back-ordered until February 10. 

www.surviveall.co.uk
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 9:59am

I purchased masks from http://store.pksafety.net/dustmasks.html

and had them in 48 hours. :)
I live in the same state they shipped from which helped too, but they shipped the same day that I ordered them.

Regarding the child size masks, the 3M 8110 N95 Particulate Respirators fit my 9 year old daughter quite well.

------------------------------

1 box of 20  - 3M 8110 N95 Particulate Respirators (size small)  - $16 USD

1 box of 20 - 3M 8210 N95 General Use Particulate Respirators (size regular) - $13.75 USD

Priority Shipping - Approx $4.

Edited by justme
Stina View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 10:22am

Originally posted by Doodlebug Doodlebug wrote:

This company has masks for children 3-10 years old. 

I can't find the rating (N95 etc) on the childs masks...did you find that anywhere? 

I just want to be 110% before I order (this child size mask thing has me losing hair...)

Doodlebug View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doodlebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 11:34am
Stina,

The FFP3 masks are the European equivalent of N100 or P100 - the safest protection you can buy.  I could only afford a few due to the exchange rate disadvantage and shipping costs, but I'm comfortable (as I can be without any direct medical knowhow) with my decision to choose them.

Stina View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 11:36am

Aha!  thanks for the info...It is pricey (I am in canada) but well worth it to keep my 3 year old safe.

Now onto finding dehydrated foods in Canada....

RotroShaggy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotroShaggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 1:21pm

I AM RE-POSTING THIS POST IN THE "PRIORITY PREPARATIONS" SECTION, HOPING FOR MAYBE A FEW MORE RESPONSES.  THANKS TO ALL THOSE WHO REPLY:

This is my first post to this forum.  First of all, thanks to all of you who have been posting and replying.  I have been reading this forum for several days now and find it very helpful.  My girlfiend thinks I am a nut for stockpiling water, respirators, latex gloves, soap, bleach, alcohol-based sanitizer and other household products.  I am now turning my attention to canned goods.  My goal is to be self-sufficient without going out for 90 days.  Not there yet and she thinks I'm an absolute loon.  ANYWAY, I'm sure there has been plenty of discussion about respirators on here, but I have a question:  Has anyone tried the 3M 8210 Plus respirator?  I ordered about 500 of the 3M 8000 (without first trying it on) and could not get a good fit.  So I sent them back and orderd about 360 of the "better" model, the 3M 8210.  I can't afford to pay much over a dollar per respirator if I am to have any meaningful quantity. Anyone have any comments about the 8210?  Any other comments would be helpful.  Am I correct to assume that, even though the H5N1 is only one micron, a N95 will still be effective because the virus will travel in clumps or on larger water droplets? Also, any thoughts on what else I should be stockpiling?  Batteries, razors & other toiletries, lighters, candles, etc. etc.?   THANKS AGAIN TO ALL OF YOU FOR BEING THERE.  Hope to hear some replies.

RotroShaggy
Deej View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 1:48pm
lots of stuff to stock up on- see alberts's list- good stuff... not sure on the masks--- btw welcome
dee
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 3:17pm

Welcome RetroShaggy.

I have ordered 3M 8210 N95 masks for myself, and I am pleased with the fit. I also may consider using medical tape along the edges if I feel any doubt, but I am pretty confident.

I also ordered 3M 8110 N95 masks for my 9 year old daughter and am pleased with the fit as well.

I ordered from http://store.pksafety.net/dustmasks.html and was super pleased with their prices, customer service and delivery speed.

P.S.  we had a member write a helpful review of another type of mask, the nanomask http://superflutalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1034 

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotroShaggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 3:50pm
Thanks, Justme.  Can I ask you how many you ordered?  I am trying to prepare for my girlfriend and myself.  I am sort of assuming an 18 month pandemic.  What do you think would be a reasonable number per person?  I am estimating having to go out about 3 times per week, but I am just guessing.  Also, do you have a smaller supply of the more expensive masks in case you have to go somewhere that is more "high risk" like the doctor's office or the dentist's office?  Thanks again.  Good to finally be a part of the forum.
RotroShaggy
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 4:18pm

So far I have one box of each. I am not sure how many I will end up buying. It is the only kind of mask I have so far. That is a great idea about having a better mask for higher risk areas. (Dont forget eye protection!)

Using 3 masks per week for 18 months will need 216 masks per person (that will add up quickly $$$!). Keep in mind that the masks are only recommended for a short while (30 minutes of use if I recall correctly), be sure to double check that and compare it to your usage intentions.

(Though you could contract it from surface contamination as well, dont forget some surgical gloves. Costco has boxes of 300 gloves for $9.99 right now).

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 4:48pm

I have 120 of 3M's 9211 N95 and 100 procedure masks.

I feel very light on the mask front but I plan on ordering more procedure masks, don't know about the N95's.  When I ordered my gross it was about $140 which included shipping.  I'm afraid to look what it is now.

As an aside:  When I ordered the gross I had the salesman call me (thinking I was a new customer of bulk items) and asked what I wanted them for.  It was before BF was in the papers or news more than a paragraph here or there.  I was so embarrassed to tell him why I wanted them that I lied and said that I had an Immunocompromised friend whom I intended to gift them to.  He replied "Ummm, that's nice."  Disappointed I wasn't some doctor's office or something for repeat orders.

AnitaRNpulmo View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnitaRNpulmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 5:49pm
I am uploading day after day docs and files about personal protective equipment in my site (lot of pics) - http://avianflu-personal-protection.blogspot.com/
another traditional web site with linked page willopen soon with donwloadable files.
Anita
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 8:15pm
Very helpful Anita, thanks for all the info!
otskot View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otskot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 3:37pm
Everything I've read, procedure masks and related types are simply not effective enough. What is required is the respirators with disposable filters. This is what I've gotten -- along with the P100 filters -- I'm not willing to risk that 5% to save a little bit of money. Are you all comfortable with masks?
Flubird View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flubird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 3:53pm

Ot, I like the concept of disposable filters too, but haven't located a good brand/type, what do you like?   I am also a little more concerned about fit with reuseable masks with disposable filters.

How do you plan to disinfect the filter-holding mask device?

There's a lot to learn, just my opinions here.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 4:02pm

Some things to think about regarding mask use. I'm no expert.

You only need to wear the mask when you might be exposed, like a trip to
the bank machine or corner store (if they are open) . But if you don't come
into close proximity to anyone, I would hold on to it and use it another day.

If you are in a room taking care of someone that is ill, you might want to
change that mask after you are done. My 2-cents.

Edited by Rick
otskot View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otskot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 4:36pm
I have some of the 3M 6000 Series. They're plastic and fit very snugly -- a key factor in ensuring that none of the virus-laden air sneaks around the mask and gets in you.

http://www.safetysaves.com/safety_wear/product.php?product id=457

As for disinfecting, I will spray myself and it down with bleach-water upon return from wherever I have to go to. I then will put the respirator into a bleach water tank to thoroughly sanitize. Theone thing everyone needs to remember is that from what I understand, the virus spores could anywhere on you after being in an infected area -- so it is key to decontaminate well after returning. In fact, I'm almost more worried about the decontamination aspect than whether my respirator and goggles will work OK

Edited by otskot
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnitaRNpulmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 4:41pm
Either you have a bifilters mask with filter holders - every piece of the mask can be cleaned or disinfected or replaced separately.
If you have a NATO screwing filter, its plain since the mask has only a little screwing piece or a corrugated hose. You spray the mask to decontaminate it, before donning it off (filter yet screwed in !). So you dont breathe the hazardous contaminants (as infected particulates) neither the spray.
Procedures are explained with pics or videos in some professional sites or training documentation.
Shall  post more in the following days in my site too ... Please wait a little more ... I have too my job and family life .... Anita !
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnitaRNpulmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 4:51pm
Otskot you are right, if your protective device is well fit and has the right filter, you are OK.
Problems occurs
1) if you dont stand yet the gear (sweat, breathing, fog)- and are still exposed to contamination (public high risk areas or worse close contact with ill or suspect people) ...  you CANT put it off as long as you are not in a safe area - and decontaminated.
2) wrong way of decontamination after exposure
MissRX View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissRX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 7:30am

I've purchased 2 of the North 5500 Half Mask AP Respirators with the P100 Filters...I had a question though. does anyone know the best way to clean/disinfect these puppies? Can they be sprayed down with bleach??

http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/masksnmore_1883_70 8310

Edited by MissRX
"The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war"
MissRX View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissRX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 7:36am

Hi All,

I just came across this respirator yesterday, and I'm wondering if anyone knows whether this would be a good respirator to have on hand? I was considering purchasing some. they look like they'd be great during a pandemic.

Any insight you could offer me would be greatly appreciated !

The Triosyn T-3000™ respirator provides front-line protection for police officers, homeland defense personnel, and other emergency and rescue responders against viral and bacterial threats with the most advanced particulate barrier available. The proven ability of Triosyn T-3000™ Respirators to trap biological agents is maintained throughout the life of the product by the antimicrobial action of Triosyn® T50 powder, which protects the filtration media from microbial deterioration.

The T-3000 offers consistent and reliable performance. Features include a secure fit with a padded, adjustable nose bridge, and low breathing resistance. A flat fold design allows for ease of transporting and storage. Affordable and easy to use. (Warning) This product contains iodine.

worriedlilchic View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote worriedlilchic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 7:46am

Someone put in a post on another page about these mask...  what do you think about them?

The Triosyn T-3000™

worriedlilchic
worriedlilchic View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote worriedlilchic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 7:47am

This is what the website says about the...

The Triosyn T-3000™ Antimicrobial Respirators provide front-line protection for police officers, EMS, healthcare professionals and other first responders against viral and bacterial threats. With the proven ability to trap and kill biological agents, the Triosyn T-3000™ Antimicrobial Respirators are revolutionary in the protection they provide against infectious outbreaks and biological hazards.

worriedlilchic
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnitaRNpulmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 8:03am
To MissRX - Shall post something about the cleaning way for respirators in my site, but let me sometime to upload and get the page actualised/published. Basically spraying, wiping and washing, but be careful with the product use for the mask pieces (silicone, rubber, ...?)
Anita
MissRX View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissRX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 8:12am

Anita - Thank you so much!! Take your time :)

I wanted to make sure that I use the proper materials because it is made of silicone I believe, and rubber pieces. Also the headband is plastic. I don't want to use anything that could destroy the materials on the mask :)

Rocky View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 4:57pm
Hi MissRX,

I don't want to cross post so let me give you the Avian Flu link I just wrote a
few minutes ago under the Forum:Priority Preparations/Topic: Respirators.
It will be at the bottom because I just posted it under my username Rocky.

Be Safe, Stay Well. Rocky
Prepare for the Unexpected!
Rocky
http://www.homeemergencyusa.com
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 4:59pm
Duck Off View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duck Off Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2006 at 2:54pm

3M makes a N95 medical mask that is green and a automotive mask that is white.

they are both N95 masks and are exactly the same! The white masks are much cheaper and can be found in any automotive store.

I called 3M to verify that the masks were the same.

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnitaRNpulmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2006 at 4:22pm
False -the green 1860 has a fluid outer protection, its the best mask for healthcare protection against tuberculosis, sars, ....
Harder to breathe, but safer - and more expensive - exist in size small
chec my site http://avianflu-personal-protection.blogspot.com/
Ella Fitzgerald View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ella Fitzgerald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2006 at 5:25pm

Sorry AnitaRNpulmo.

I have a relative that works for 3m and there is no difference in their N95 masks.

What brand are you talking about?

Daffy Duck View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daffy Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2006 at 8:52pm

i guess i need some masks. thanks for the tip ella.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2006 at 9:00pm
"Surgical N95" masks have fluid resistance, other masks intended for
workshops, don't have that feature. Your mask should say it meets CDC
guidelines. Before you consider what you are paying, consider what you
are protecting.

Interim Domestic Guidance on the Use of Respirators to
Prevent
Transmission of SARS
May 3, 2005

Respiratory protective devices with a filter efficiency of 95% or greater
(e.g., N95, N99, N100) may not be available in some settings due to
supply shortages or other factors.

In this situation, a surgical (procedure) mask should be worn. Surgical
masks will provide barrier protection against large droplets that are
considered to be the primary route of SARS transmission. However,
surgical masks may not adequately protect against aerosol or airborne
particles, primarily because they allow for leakage around the mask and
cannot be fit tested. The mask should resist fluid penetration and fit
tightly around the mouth and nose when properly applied to the face.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/sars/respirators.htm

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ella Fitzgerald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2006 at 9:55pm

The 3m N95 automotive masks are fluid resistent also. They are used in paint booths to prevent airborne paint from entering the respiratory system. Paint may not be a virus or bloodborne pathogen but it is dangerous if inhaled into the lungs.

Same mask as medical N95 mask. Call 3M to verify.

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ella Fitzgerald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2006 at 10:02pm

Hey just wanted to let everyone know that typical workshop masks are not fluid resistant.

I am only stating that the 3M N95 automotive masks are fluid resistant and are the exact same mask as the 3M N95 medical masks. The medical mask is green and the automotive is white. Both boxes are clearly marked as N95 and fluid resistant.

Check it out...it will save you money and offers the same exact protection!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2006 at 10:56pm

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnitaRNpulmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2006 at 11:50am
That's why in the worst scenario it will be useful to plan reusable (NB)C facemasks, they last for months !
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2006 at 12:03pm

Anita,

The half-mask NBC masks are effective and last longer than surgical masks but they are negative-pressure masks that require quite a bit of diaphram effort for each breath. They can easily cause hypoxia from bradypenia due to fatigued primary and ancillary breathing muscles.

If a person is not a first responder or front line medical professional they would be better off with a good quality N95 surgical mask with an exhaust vent. They last several days.

First Responders and Front Liners should look into PAPR respirators.

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotroShaggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2006 at 9:48am

This post is in response to the above conversation between Rick, Ella and Duck Off regarding N95 Masks and fluid resistance.  I am also worried about this topic and, like Rick, think that the stakes are so high here we don't want to be misinformed or cut corners to save a buck.

I Just got off the phone with CDC/NIOSH's respirator technical advisor in Pittsburgh.  I told him I was lookiing for the best N95 and that the 3M 1860 looked great because of the fluid resistance but that 3M masks don't fit me very well.  He agreed that a mask that doesn't fit is worthless--even if it is the Mercedes of all masks. 

I asked him how important "fluid resistance" is.  He said he was puzzled by the question.  He said ALL N95 masks are appropriate for airborne particles.  NIOSH subjects ALL N95 masks to 6 hours of high humidity conditions when testing.  So, any N95 maks has been approved to 95% efficiency to .3 microns AFTER having been subjected to 6 hours of high levels of humidity.  They are designed with moisture in mind. 

If you plan on working directly with patients and anticipate getting splashed with blood, urine, fecal matter, or large quantities of sputum, then the "fluid resistance" comes in handy and would be recommended. 

I won't pretend to be an expert, but based on my conversation, I am going to stress fit over any fluid resistance features.  Based on my conversation with DCD/NIOSH, I think any NIOSH N95 is going to be able to handle moisture particles and tiny droplets.  The 3M 1860 and 1870 do have the fluid resistant shell, but they are shaped identical to the 8210 and made with the same materials, which were not as high quality as some of the others I tried and did not fit my face properly.  For the record, I had the best fit with the North 7140 and the Moldex 2200.  Both great masks and fairly inexpensive.  I ordered 300 of the North and 100 of the moldex. 

RotroShaggy
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotroShaggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2006 at 9:54am
I also asked the CDC/NIOSH guy about how long a respirator can be worn.  I told him I had heard they are effective anywhere from 30 minutes all the way up to 8 hours.  He would not give me a solid answer, but said they recommend changing after one of three events  1) it has gotten wet 2) it has been damaged 3) breathing resistance increases.  He said that in dry particle environments one of these things can last for a few days.  I plan on discarding after each use, so I didn't go into any more detail with him on that. 
RotroShaggy
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2006 at 10:19am
Originally posted by RotroShaggy RotroShaggy wrote:

I also asked the CDC/NIOSH guy about how long
a respirator can be worn.  I told him I had heard they are effective
anywhere from 30 minutes all the way up to 8 hours.  He would not give
me a solid answer, but said they recommend changing after one of three
events  1) it has gotten wet 2) it has been damaged 3) breathing
resistance increases.  He said that in dry particle environments one of
these things can last for a few days.  I plan on discarding after each use,
so I didn't go into any more
detail with him on that. 

Good advice. You only need the wear the thing when you
feel you might come in close proximity to a potential vector/virus carrier.

So assuming you need to go out, if the stores are open, I would put my
mask on before I went shopping. If you don't come in close proximity to
anyone, then I would consider reusing the mask another day.

If I was within a few feet ofanyone, less than 15-feet, I would toss the
mask. Because they are not coughing does not mean they are not
infected. If I'm taking care of someone that is sick, I would change the
mask frequently. Just an opinion.
Elizabeth View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elizabeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2006 at 1:41pm

I ordered from www.labsafety.com

About a month ago, before I knew I could find out anything I needed to know in here, I was at Longs looking for masks.  I knew the ones they had wouldn't do it.  So I called the 800 number on the box, and asked what kind I should get for bird flu.  The guy gave me the above website.  They arrived within a week.  I got 2 kinds, wasn't sure what to do so I got both.  Here is my actual order and what I paid.

RESP N95 DISPSBL 3M 8210 NIOSH         & nbsp;  

2    37746         & nbsp;       BX  1      Available  LSS         &nb sp;         &nb sp;        

RESP N95 DISPBL MOLDEX STD NIO         &nb sp;  

3    4573         &n bsp;        PK  1      Available  LSS         &nb sp;         &nb sp;        

Hope View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2006 at 8:18pm

Rocky,

Did your new masks come in yet?  I think it was this week you were getting another type.  You preferred them to the ones on Oprah.

Let me know!

Hope
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic