Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
123456
Forum Home Forum Home > Coronavirus Pandemic: Prepping Forums > Medical Intervention & Prevention
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Fish meds for humans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Online Discussion: Tracking new emerging diseases and the next pandemic since 2005; Coronavirus COVID-19 Pandemic Discussion Forum.

Fish meds for humans

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin
Avatar

Joined: September 08 2007
Location: San Diego
Status: Offline
Points: 46746
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fish meds for humans
    Posted: May 28 2013 at 12:36pm
  There was an AFT thread earlier this week where non prescription fish antibiotics were discussed as an additions to preps. I thought that it might be useful to further investigate it in light of secondary bacterial pneumonia being increasingly implicated in the majority of deaths caused by flu pandemics and epidemics dating back to at least 1918. It seems that it might not be antivirals that will save you, but antibiotics.
  For those not familiar with the topic, it seems that many fish antibiotics are identical in every way to the human versions. They're made on the same production line but usually a good deal cheaper, and they're available either at pet stores or online. Amoxicillin, erythromycin, cipro - just about everything your doc can prescribe is available.
  The standard disclaimer applies - self diagnose and the consequences to you and your family are your responsibilty and not mine or AFT's. Make sure you know what you're doing, consult a healthcare professional where applicable, and know what the safe dosages are. To that end, purchase something like the "Sanford Guide to Antimicrobial Therapy" - new versions are pricey, but I just picked up a 2009 copy on Amazon for the princely sum of one cent plus shipping.
Many animal meds are the same as human versions, so those of you with a sympathetic vet might want to cultivate that relationship. Cat and dog meds are often prescription items though, while fish meds aren't and are readily available OTC.

*Albert - I'll leave it up to you whether this stays here or moves to the prepping section where it may be more appropriate.
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Back to Top
racer35 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Avatar

Joined: May 24 2006
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 40
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racer35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 3:38pm
Do you by any chance know the otc names  of any of these fish antibiotics?  I have read up on them on a few other websites.  Seems they ate cheaper than prescribed meds.  Couldn't hurt having them in your firstaid bag.
 
 
Those who fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
Back to Top
Satori View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 4:25pm

Armageddon Medicine is a good resource for WTSHTF medical advice



http://armageddonmedicine.net/?p=6490


self medication should be AN ABSOLUTE LAST RESORT


make sure none of the antibiotics will have an adverse affect

if taken with your other meds,either prescribed or over the counter

this includes herbal

Back to Top
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin
Avatar

Joined: September 08 2007
Location: San Diego
Status: Offline
Points: 46746
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 4:27pm
I'm afraid I don't, racer - this is something I've known about for a while but not explored to any great degree. The recent thread got me thinking about it, especially as a few articles I've come across lately seem to indicate that many deaths from influenza are caused not by the virus, but secondary bacterial pneumonia.
I thought I'd put this out there and see what we can come up with as a group. I know it's been debated on other prepping/survivalist forums and the consensus seems to be that they're perfectly legitimate meds as long as they're used correctly.


Good advice, Satori and thanks for the link Thumbs Up
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Back to Top
Satori View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 4:30pm

the Doom and Bloom site is also very informative concerning the use of fish antibiotics


 http://www.doomandbloom.net/antibiotics-2/

Back to Top
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin
Avatar

Joined: September 08 2007
Location: San Diego
Status: Offline
Points: 46746
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 4:51pm
I saw that one - love the name LOL
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Back to Top
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 3:25pm
Here in New Zealand you can't get any animal antibiotics over the counter. You can't even buy antibiotic cream without a prescription so I'm having to look for alternatives.

I bought a book called "herbal antibiotics" by Stephen Harrod Buhner which is very helpful. It covers the problems of antibiotic resistant illnesses too. I know in Papua New Guinea they have a very real problems at the moment of antibiotic resistant tuberculosis which is spreading. 

The other book I found to be really good is "the herbal medicine-makers handbook" by James Green.

The only problem I can see with using herbal remedies is the preparation. Alot of these preparations can only be made when the plant is in flower, or berry or whatever and so you have quite a small window of opportunity if you want to make your own. In order to be able to act when illness strikes you would have to have everything ready in advance.

You can buy ready made tinctures but they are quite expensive. We are a low income family so I wanted to make my own. I had really problems buying 90% proof alcohol, in fact it was almost impossible except through the chemist at 2 litres for $150 !!!! So I bought a stove top still and have been making my own.

The actual making of tinctures is very easy and really enjoyable and thankfully they have a long shelf life if stored in a cool dark place. Last summer I made about 10 different ones and will do the same this summer. I've started a little cupboard just for herbal and homeopathic rememdies, and I store the relevant books in there as well.

Given the choice I would certainly carry a stock of standard antibiotics too, but as yet, I haven't found a way to do that. (I have tried mail order but they won't post them to NZ.)
Back to Top
WildKarma View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Avatar

Joined: May 29 2013
Location: Alaska
Status: Offline
Points: 90
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildKarma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 12:25am
I have always wondered about animal meds and how much they differed from ours. I knew some livestock antibiotics are OTC and others are script only. I had no clue about fish and birds though. This is definitely worth looking into. Thanks!
Back to Top
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin
Avatar

Joined: September 08 2007
Location: San Diego
Status: Offline
Points: 46746
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 1:34am
You're welcome, WildKarma.
Just found this article - I'll see what else I can dig up. Remember, if secondary bacterial infections are indeed the leading cause of death in pandemics rather than the virus itself, antibiotics might be one of your most useful preps, especially if H7N9 continues to develop resistance to Tamiflu.

http://www.doomandbloom.net/fish-antibiotics-in-a-collapse/
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Back to Top
debbiencusa View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group
Avatar

Joined: April 25 2013
Location: nc
Status: Offline
Points: 2100
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debbiencusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 6:33pm
Large livestock like horses and cows are hard to convert to human dose, birds vary according to species from extremely large birds to extremely small. Fish you open the capsule and dissolve in the tank, they usually come in 250 mg or 500 mg. if you have small kids get some of the lessor dose. Mix with sterile water and some extract your child likes, if you have no refrigeration try to make it dose by dose which will not be easy but better then wasting it, if you have other kids who also will need it. Usually adults use the 500mg. you need to know that when you buy it. If you go cheap and buy the weaker type then you have to double the amount you take so it comes out the same.
 
Know of course what you and your family are allergic to, anti biotic can cause some serious life threatening allergic reactions. You can buy non penicillin stuff too, I believe it is metronazole  or close enough to that, that you will recognize it when you see it. It is also called Flaygl  sp know the side effects of all of these meds which are easy to look up and print for your med. cabinet.  For instance, metronazole or flaygl if you use any alcohol you can get so sick, Dr.s have said you wont die but wish you would, it causes extreme violent illness, some have said even cutting oneself shaving and then putting on after shave with alcohol will trigger the reaction.
 
Some anti biotic can turn the teeth a grey color. Make sure you have enough for the full ten day treatment.  Also in ordering you must think of a few other things, if one in the family gets sick, so will others so buy accordingly a bottle or two wont do. Another thing if we loose all infrastructure you may need anti biotic for cuts people used to die from them before anti biotic.
 
Also think about buying from more then one source, if all of a sudden orders begin to come in for a lot of antibiotic someone could get wise to non pet use. I am not sure it matters, but it may. Also check your expiration dates on it. I would never throw it away, you can make anti biotic salves with vasoline and dry expired anti biotic.
God Bless
Back to Top
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group


Joined: October 27 2007
Status: Offline
Points: 6049
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by debbiencusa debbiencusa wrote:

Large livestock like horses and cows are hard to convert to human dose, birds vary according to species from extremely large birds to extremely small. Fish you open the capsule and dissolve in the tank, they usually come in 250 mg or 500 mg. if you have small kids get some of the lessor dose. Mix with sterile water and some extract your child likes, if you have no refrigeration try to make it dose by dose which will not be easy but better then wasting it, if you have other kids who also will need it. Usually adults use the 500mg. you need to know that when you buy it. If you go cheap and buy the weaker type then you have to double the amount you take so it comes out the same.
 
AAAHHHHHHHHHHHH NO! NONONONONO! I seriously almost facepalmed my head off my shoulders there.
 
250 mg of what? 500mg of what? Mix that with red koolaid? Really?!? Jonestown anyone?
 
If you took 250 mg's of Bactrim you'd likely not really do anything for your infection, but if you took 500 mg's of Doxycycline you could very easily *KILL* yourself. I shudder to think what might happen if you regularly took a 500 mg dose of Fluconazole! Probably cardiac arrest! Seriously, if someone's got a heart condition and took 500 mg's of Fluconazole, there is a good chance that they may very well die.
 
Are you a doctor or otherwise a medical practitioner? If not, *PLEASE* refrain from giving suggestions as to how much of *ANYTHING* people should take for whatever reason. If anyone has a question as to a dosage of a particular medicine, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE ask your doctor. Chances are that they'll be more than happy to explain to you how much of whatever they'd give for any possible infection.
 
Originally posted by Debbie Debbie wrote:

Also think about buying from more then one source, if all of a sudden orders begin to come in for a lot of antibiotic someone could get wise to non pet use. I am not sure it matters, but it may. Also check your expiration dates on it. I would never throw it away, you can make anti biotic salves with vasoline and dry expired anti biotic.
 
Most antibiotics should be discarded after they're expired. Sure some might be of some use, but chances are you'll just be making whatever bacteria you're trying to treat resistant.
 
In some cases the medicine becomes unstable or STRONGER! I suppose in an emergency situation you're taking a shot in the dark, but at the moment, that's really not a concern. If you're not going to use it, get rid of it.
Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views. - William F. Buckley
Back to Top
debbiencusa View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group
Avatar

Joined: April 25 2013
Location: nc
Status: Offline
Points: 2100
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debbiencusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 10:36pm
This was also part of what I wrote in that post which you failed to point out conveniently to make your case about my post. I am counting on the fact that MOST people can and do read the whole post on something this important about medication. It would make little sense for non readers to use this forum.
 
Know of course what you and your family are allergic to, anti biotic can cause some serious life threatening allergic reactions. You can buy non penicillin stuff too, I believe it is metronazole  or close enough to that, that you will recognize it when you see it. It is also called Flaygl  sp know the side effects of all of these meds which are easy to look up and print for your med. cabinet.  For instance, metronazole or flaygl if you use any alcohol you can get so sick, Dr.s have said you wont die but wish you would, it causes extreme violent illness, some have said even cutting oneself shaving and then putting on after shave with alcohol will trigger the reaction.
 
 
As I first pointed out, anti biotic can and does cause some serious life threatening reactions, another one, you did not mention is seizures. We are of course discussing here survival situations, we are in a situation in fact multiple situations that could get bad fast. Not everyone will have time to chat with doc before they purchase their meds, in addition I have found far too many MD only give advise or even treat someone with the cash in hand to pay for their services or they could not obviously care less if you live or die. Obvious because without money to pay you are denied service. Often Dr.s do not discuss dosing topics over a wide range of drugs bc they suspect you are attempting to treat yourself and are vehemently opposed to that, as well they should be. This however is not about day to day living but survival wo the luxury of the wisdom of a MD. AS was pointed out you should go to medical websites that contain drug information from all possible known side effects to dosing to whether or not to eat or take on a empty stomach and how to store. These sites are so plentiful on the internet that a blind person could find them. Only the most idiotic of people would blindly purchase anti biotic or any other medication and not know and have in hard copy as was said and put right with the medication so even a idiot can not use without reading the instructions on how to use. I have a much higher opinion of my fellow forum mates then to think that they are ignorant.  Do not be so condescending as to alter my words and imply that I ever said children should take medication with kool aid, it is with extracts aka flavoring making it more palatable to the child so that they will actually take the medication and not spit it back at you. Someone is drinking something a whole lot stronger then kool aid if they think that throwing away out of date medication in a world where no medication is even made any longer is a wise idea. You go right ahead and throw it away, do your neighbors the favor of letting them know, do you plan to throw away out of date bottled water alsoLOL 
 
The odds of someone creating any more super bugs then already exist with a complete failure of infrastructure is slim to none by the use of Vaseline mixed with the contents of anti biotic, cutting ones self while chopping wood and needing a anti biotic cream that may help with healing is a bit more likely but again, it is a free world, you go ahead and toss out those  meds, but trust me, people will get bad infections minus running water and doing chores they have never done before they will want and need the anti biotic. Without MD we will all be forced to do many things we pray we will never have to do. Luckily there are several very wise, talented and caring MD who have seen that need and have published how to manuals for just such a purpose. I hope that people will indeed take the time while they have it to find the meds and down load the information they need to hard copy before purchase. BTW none of the meds you mentioned are for sale on those sites. I am not a MD nor do I pretend to be which is why I wrote of the dangers, negative side effects and how to circumvent them to the extent you can. I am also not a lawyer but I am a gambler enough to bet that meds that the public is allowed to purchase more then likely wont cause cardiac arrest due to the fact that some idiot would ingest them, claim it was a accident and sue the selling company into bankruptcy, just a hunch. I could be wrong but I believe this site is for tough individualists who do not scare easy, are willing to make educated choices and survive the best they can. I wont be intimidated by anyone who uses child like bullying tactics to try to make other posters who are trying to help others look foolish. Turn the mirror back at yourself and see if you could not have made your points without having to make it personal. The best way to shut down a valuable site where people band together to share what they know is to disrupt it by taunting and ask what is the end goal of that behavior.
God Bless
Back to Top
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group


Joined: October 27 2007
Status: Offline
Points: 6049
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 7:51am
Originally posted by debbiencusa debbiencusa wrote:

This was also part of what I wrote in that post which you failed to point out conveniently to make your case about my post. I am counting on the fact that MOST people can and do read the whole post on something this important about medication. It would make little sense for non readers to use this forum.
 
No, you talked about drug interactions, and said that Adults can use 500 mg's and kids 250. You are wrong. As little as 1mg of some medications that you can easily get at a fish medicine store can put you into cardiac arrest.
 
Originally posted by Debbie Debbie wrote:

We are of course discussing here survival situations, we are in a situation in fact multiple situations that could get bad fast.
 
We are indeed talking survival situations, so DON'T GIVE ADVICE THAT COULD WELL KILL SOMEONE BEFORE THEY'RE ABLE TO SURVIVE!
 
Originally posted by Debbie Debbie wrote:

Not everyone will have time to chat with doc before they purchase their meds, in addition I have found far too many MD only give advise or even treat someone with the cash in hand to pay for their services or they could not obviously care less if you live or die.
 
Really? So instead we should just rely on "This might or might not work at this given dosage" as the rule for taking potentially deadly medication? Are you serious or screwing around? If dealing with YOUR doctor is that weird, you might need to see another doc. Furthermore, you should be networking now and talk to other medical professionals about it.
 
Originally posted by Debbie Debbie wrote:

Often Dr.s do not discuss dosing topics over a wide range of drugs bc they suspect you are attempting to treat yourself and are vehemently opposed to that, as well they should be.This however is not about day to day living but survival wo the luxury of the wisdom of a MD.
 
No scheiss, because people will take something they have no idea at what dose and potentially kill themselves. So should we not talk to the doctors about this now? Seriously, which is it?
 
If you need info, talk to a doctor or other med pro now. That way you don't have to wonder how much of whatever you're going to take, and whether or not what you have looks like a fungal or bacterial infection.
 
Originally posted by Debbie Debbie wrote:

<BLATHER> 
 
Sorry, that paragraph was backtracking crap, so it gets deleted.
 
Originally posted by Debbie Debbie wrote:

BTW none of the meds you mentioned are for sale on those sites.
 
Yes they are. Just because you don't know where to get it, does not mean that it's impossible to get... Cheaply.
 
Originally posted by Debbie Debbie wrote:

I am not a MD nor do I pretend to be which is why I wrote of the dangers, negative side effects and how to circumvent them to the extent you can.
 
No, you didn't. You smattered something about interactions and then said that adults can take 500 mg's and kids 250, though of what medication you left to the winds, and then you said that you can mix it with something that tastes good, and that screamed "JONESTOWN" to me.
 
I am *WELL* aware that you're neither a doctor, nor a lawyer, because if you'd been either you wouldn't have given that advice. Do you see me giving advice on this topic? No you don't, and I obviously and absolutely have more medical experience than you do. (Police officer/EMT for ten years)  I don't disagree with Flumom or Penham about gardening or child care. They're my go to people in fact. My advice to you: Stay in your lane and don't give out info on something you're ignorant about.
 
Originally posted by Debbie Debbie wrote:

I wont be intimidated by anyone who uses child like bullying tactics to try to make other posters who are trying to help others look foolish. Turn the mirror back at yourself and see if you could not have made your points without having to make it personal. The best way to shut down a valuable site where people band together to share what they know is to disrupt it by taunting and ask what is the end goal of that behavior.
 
I didn't make it personal, nor did I try to intimidate you, you said something outrageously stupid Because.You.Dont.Know.What.You're.Talking.About. so I corrected you. I attacked your ideas, if you're so attached to that level of foolishness I truly feel sorry for you.
 
What did you want me to say? Oh, Debbie, it's okay, maybe taking a megadose of an antibiotic that you don't know the proper dosage of might not be a good idea because you'll go to be with kittens and puppies and rivers of chocolate and children with gumdrop smiles?
 
If someone says something at the level that you did up there, you need to be slapped down immediately and hard so people don't take your advice. For all intents and purposes, I could have edited your post and chastised you by saying that you shouldn't be giving medical advice.
Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views. - William F. Buckley
Back to Top
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin
Avatar

Joined: September 08 2007
Location: San Diego
Status: Offline
Points: 46746
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 10:46am
As TG pointed out, we're talking about potentially dangerous medications here and stockpiling and administering them should only be considered for a SHTF situation when no other source is available, and there's nobody available either in person or by phone that can tell you how to take them, how much and how often, side effects to look for, and possible interactions. Don't even think about getting them if you don't have some idea of the dosages and uses - different bacteria respond to different antibiotics and you need to know which, or at best it'll do absolutely no good, and at worst someone gets really sick or dies of a runaway infection while you're giving them the wrong med. Do your research before you even think about buying anything. There's a reason you go to a doctor and then get the little speech from the pharmacist. Make sure you or your loved ones know if they're allergic or sensitive to any medications, even in normal situations. I had a friend that found out that he should never take penicillin after he blew up like the Jet Puffed marshmallow man, and I'm deathly allergic to vicodin and found out accidentally when I popped half of one that my wife had been prescribed. Within minutes I had a pulse rate of 160+, hyperventilation, sweating, feeling of impending doom, etc. Luckily I found out before a well meaning doctor had me taking two every four hours (although the second dose would likely have been academic) and it's the first thing I tell doctors, even when they have my medical record in front of them. Since then I've come to find out that I can't take any pain killers stronger than Tylenol or Motrin, and even OTC Aleve shuts my kidneys down after the first dose - temporarily fortunately. Just separated my shoulder completely and had to get by on ibuprophen Pinch
Animal meds (cat, dog, horse, etc) often have other things added and that's why I purposely didn't include them in the title of the thread. Fish antibiotics are more often than not repackaged human meds since fish are extremely sensitive to chemicals and additives, but you should always check the meds to ensure you've got the right one - the pills will have a distinctive color, shape, and identifying marks that you can cross reference online to be 100% sure.
Don't take this thread lightly - self prescribed meds are not for every day situations, and if you're not a doctor you have no place using them under those circumstances.
TG - you're back LOL
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Back to Top
LOPPER View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LOPPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 10:49am

 

Get a copy of Nurse's Drug Guide to go with your antibiotics. That will at least give you the recommended dosages for both adults and children. 

And antibiotics last a lot longer than the expiration date.

Studies performed by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) revealed that 90% of medications tested were perfectly fine to use 8-to-15 years after the expiration date. There was apparently no danger in the grand majority of cases. The FDA tested more than 100 medications, both prescription and non-prescription....  tetracycline antibiotics of various names being the exception as they may become toxic after expiration date.
http://survivalblog.com/ - http://survivalblog.com/ 

Here is another good source of information about expiration dates of antibiotics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph0LtznsDH8 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph0LtznsDH8
 
 
 
Back to Top
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin
Avatar

Joined: September 08 2007
Location: San Diego
Status: Offline
Points: 46746
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 10:58am
There's some debate about tetracycline - apparently they reformulated it so it would last longer, but personally I wouldn't want to take the chance and risk using it past the expiration date. Be safe and toss it.
Good advice on the Nurses Guide - as I mentioned in my first post I have a copy of "Sanfords guide to antimicrobial therapy" on it's way. Once it arrives I'll consider what I might need, and only after a lot of research to ensure I have all bases covered and I'm using meds I know my family have already taken would I consider buying anything.
Due diligence, people.
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Back to Top
LOPPER View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOPPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 11:22am
Originally posted by jacksdad jacksdad wrote:

There's some debate about tetracycline - apparently they reformulated it so it would last longer, but personally I wouldn't want to take the chance and risk using it past the expiration date. Be safe and toss it.
Good advice on the Nurses Guide - as I mentioned in my first post I have a copy of "Sanfords guide to antimicrobial therapy" on it's way. Once it arrives I'll consider what I might need, and only after a lot of research to ensure I have all bases covered and I'm using meds I know my family have already taken would I consider buying anything.
Due diligence, people.
 
People should also consider the fact that antibiotics post SHTF should be used only when they are absolutely needed. They should not be used for minor or non life threatening ailments or conditions that given time will clear up on their own for the simple fact that supply of these various antibiotic drugs may well be only what you have on hand, and resupply may be impossible.  
Back to Top
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin
Avatar

Joined: September 08 2007
Location: San Diego
Status: Offline
Points: 46746
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 11:59am
Very true. And the possibility of antibiotic resistant bacteria shouldn't be ignored if people start dosing themselves irresponsibly.
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Back to Top
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group


Joined: October 27 2007
Status: Offline
Points: 6049
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by jacksdad jacksdad wrote:

and I'm deathly allergic to vicodin and found out accidentally when I popped half of one that my wife had been prescribed. Within minutes I had a pulse rate of 160+, hyperventilation, sweating, feeling of impending doom, etc. Luckily I found out before a well meaning doctor had me taking two every four hours (although the second dose would likely have been academic) and it's the first thing I tell doctors, even when they have my medical record in front of them. Since then I've come to find out that I can't take any pain killers stronger than Tylenol or Motrin, and even OTC Aleve shuts my kidneys down after the first dose - temporarily fortunately. Just separated my shoulder completely and had to get by on ibuprophen Pinch


Never left, I was letting everyone have a good time and was doing more reading that posting until I saw the bad advice. Debbie has some great ideas on a lot of things, but this time around... well... what can I say.

Anyways, are you allergic to all opioid painkillers? You might want to keep a medical alert wristchain with that information on it, on you. When I broke my leg (Tib, Fib, Malleolis *OFF* the Tib an dislocated my ankle) they didn't even ask about allergies, just nailed me with Morphine and I wasn't really in any pain just really uncomfortable.

I found out that I am the opposite of you on the opioids, and am tolerant. The paramedic gave me the first shot, and asked if that made things more comfortable, I said no, and he hit me again. We continued talking and after about five minutes enroute to the hospital, he said he couldn't believe we were still having a conversation because I should be on the moon!

When I got back, they gave me vicodin, which just made me irritable, then went with the percocet. Neither did anything for pain, so I had to go with tylenol. Everyone else I've talked to says that one percocet and they're on an adventure through happyland!

One thing: I don't know how old you are, but try to avoid ibuprofen if you can. The stuff stops absorption of calcium in your bones. People who routinely use it seem to have a higher incidence of osteoporosis and joint failure/arthritis. When I had the broken bone the doctors specifically forbade me from using any ibuprofen product because they said it would slow down the healing process. 

Food for thought.
Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views. - William F. Buckley
Back to Top
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin
Avatar

Joined: September 08 2007
Location: San Diego
Status: Offline
Points: 46746
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 10:53pm
Fifty years old with the commonsense of someone much younger apparently. Separated the shoulder tackling a young guy who was taking off on my son's bike. I chased him down on foot and got the bike back, but I knew as soon as I got up I knew that I had a grade 3 separation because I managed to do the same thing to the other shoulder ten years ago coming off a mountain bike. It's a very distinctive feeling to say the least. I knew I had a minute or so before the pain kicked in, so I pretended I was fine and grabbed the bike, returned his boombox in a lot more pieces than when he'd hung it on the handlebars, and let him know what I'd do to him if he didn't get the hell out of there. Luckily he took off, but moving the bike with the bones grinding in my shoulder was a blast, but it was my kid's Christmas present and he wasn't getting it without a fight. Luckily I had a good surgeon last time, and he's more than happy to fix me up again. I guess I should count myself lucky I only have two shoulders.
I've never taken morphine - they offered it to me in the ER, but with my history I declined. I'm not taking huge doses of ibuprofen - I maxed out initially at about 1200-1600mg a day and lately it's a lot less than that, if I take any at all. It's my kidneys I worry about more than anything because the stuff's nephrotoxic. Tylenol works but not as well. The vicodin reaction was most likely codeine, so anything with that is out. Tramadol makes me more nauseated than any hangover I've ever had, and as I mentioned earlier anything with naproxen shuts down my kidneys with the first dose. The only thing that ever worked was darvocet, but it was pulled from the market a few years ago because it caused fatal arrhythmias in some people. I'm not looking forward to the first few days following the surgery because they'll open up my shoulder from front to back, shorten the collar bone and reattach a ligament into the cut end by drilling and suturing, then suture the shoulder blade to the collar bone. Fun stuff, and only OTC pain meds on the menu  Stern Smile
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Back to Top
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group


Joined: October 27 2007
Status: Offline
Points: 6049
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 5:49am
Oh God...
 
Bone surgery is unbelievably painful.
 
I feel for you.
 
(And you should have kicked the little arsehole in the back while he was walking away)
Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views. - William F. Buckley
Back to Top
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin
Avatar

Joined: September 08 2007
Location: San Diego
Status: Offline
Points: 46746
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by Turboguy Turboguy wrote:

  (And you should have kicked the little arsehole in the back while he was walking away) 


LOLLOLLOL
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Back to Top
debbiencusa View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group
Avatar

Joined: April 25 2013
Location: nc
Status: Offline
Points: 2100
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debbiencusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 7:37pm
 I stand by my original post which does have health disclaimers. I also repeat that I never told anyone to give a child kool aid with medication that would not be good, a young child could get confused and overdose on meds bc it looked like kool aid and was safe.
i would also say to the folks that some of your personal Dr.s  may not want to be asked about how to do something like dose a family of meds. bc it is actually not legal for a unlicensed non medical person to be dosing, diagnosing prescription medication. Their livelihood depends on them maintaining their license to practice medicine. i would not make the assumption I had a bad Dr. because he or she was not willing to provide me with such info. it is available readably on the internet from mayo Clinic website to Web Md very easy to find. One good thing about not putting your Doc in a situation where they are compromised is you maintain the trust needed for your on going relationship to work well. Also, I found even during the H5 scare many Docs thought people were nuts for being so worried about it.
Also with the web info, you can download to hard copy keep it right with the med. I put mine in a ziplock plastic baggie that can be labeled as to what it is, that way anyone who has to use it has all the best available info. I do not have to rely on notes taken from talking to anyone etc.
i have not found any sites that sell meds so strong that one mg. could kill as Turbo claims, now I have not tried to find that. I still maintain it is hard to believe any reliable company we may purchase from is selling medication where one mil kills, it would seem to me that someone who wanted to do harm to someone could too easily attain that medication and use it almost undetected. Their liability would be huge.
If civility can not be maintained on a site it will fail, the bully will scare everyone into silence as no one will want to take their turn standing in line to get beat up. That means that all of us need to try to make it not personal and the ones charged with taking care of the site need to shut it down if they truly have the best interests of the site at heart. If they are afraid of their duty or the abuser then they should forfeit their privilege to be a mod. There was zero reason to anyone who reads these posts that this tirade was ever started.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
God Bless
Back to Top
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin
Avatar

Joined: September 08 2007
Location: San Diego
Status: Offline
Points: 46746
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 8:54pm
When I get on my laptop later I'll post a webpage from Webmd that details the meds most commonly used to treat bacterial pneumonia, which is the thing I think we should be most worried about with MERS. Thanks for the reminder about the Mayo Clinic - I'd forgotten about them. Good idea to have hard copies to hand too - I have a folder full of relevant stuff I've put together over the years. If the power goes out, so does the internet.
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Back to Top
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group


Joined: October 27 2007
Status: Offline
Points: 6049
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by debbiencusa debbiencusa wrote:


Also with the web info, you can download to hard copy keep it right with the med. I put mine in a ziplock plastic baggie that can be labeled as to what it is, that way anyone who has to use it has all the best available info. I do not have to rely on notes taken from talking to anyone etc.


Good idea. Also you should get some basic first aid, first responder, emt, etc under your belt. Also try to get a class where you can learn how to distinguish the difference between fungal and bacterial infections.

Originally posted by debbie debbie wrote:


i have not found any sites that sell meds so strong that one mg. could kill as Turbo claims, now I have not tried to find that. I still maintain it is hard to believe any reliable company we may purchase from is selling medication where one mil kills, it would seem to me that someone who wanted to do harm to someone could too easily attain that medication and use it almost undetected. Their liability would be huge.


Oh, it is very undetectable, and very little will kill someone without the treatment to their heart required just to take that medication.

Sodium and calcium blockers can be exceedingly dangerous if they're not used correctly. Then again, so can OTC vitamins...

Fluconazole, if taken by someone who already has QT abnormalities, can have significant impact to their heart health. Fluconazole is a powerful anti fungal drug that works quite well when used on an out of control tinea infection.

Soma (carisoprodol) is a muscle relaxant. Some people have figured out that if you take a lot of it you'll be drunk as a skunk, take too much and other important muscles will decide that they no longer want to flex anymore too.

Originally posted by debbie debbie wrote:


If civility can not be maintained on a site it will fail, the bully will scare everyone into silence as no one will want to take their turn standing in line to get beat up. That means that all of us need to try to make it not personal and the ones charged with taking care of the site need to shut it down if they truly have the best interests of the site at heart. If they are afraid of their duty or the abuser then they should forfeit their privilege to be a mod. There was zero reason to anyone who reads these posts that this tirade was ever started.


Just because you chose to take personal someone letting you know that you're out of your lane, doesn't make me a bully. I didn't get personal with you even once, I simply pointed out that you are wrong and told people to talk to their doctor about anything they might try to take. You don't like that and would rather people take your advice, I get it. You're wrong, but I get your position. You got butthurt over it and are now acting all indignant because you were WRONG, know you were out of your lane, and now you're backtracking.

The reason I corrected you is because you said something That you know next to nothing about as if you were an authority. You can post whatever you want, but if you say something that can be obviously dangerous for someone that follows what you think might be a good idea, I'm going to correct you every single time whether you like it or not. Bad advice is bad advice. By the same token, if you say something I agree with, I either won't say anything or throw kudos your way. That's why this is known as a discussion forum, not a say whatever you like and nobody gets to correct you pulpit.

If I said something about a topic that I know nothing about, such as proper planting, crop rotation, and harvesting of food, and someone like Jacksdad, who knows significantly more about those topics corrects me and points out that I should not be giving bad advice, I'm not going to cry that I was bullied. I'll accept that I didn't know what the hell I was talking about and listen to what he says about it, and why I needed to be corrected.
Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views. - William F. Buckley
Back to Top
debbiencusa View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group
Avatar

Joined: April 25 2013
Location: nc
Status: Offline
Points: 2100
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debbiencusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 1:24pm
I am not back peddling sir, the words on all of the posts speak for themselves including your own. Because you say you are not bullying does not make it a fact. My point is personal attack has no place here it discourages people shaing, people are sharing to help others not hurt. I look at all posts from that standpoint. I agree 100% if someone sees information that is not true, or can add their own knowledge to that which is already posted it is wonderful bc it helps even more.
 
This remark I have copied and reposted as you do in making your points to correct others is exactly how you replied to me when you first objected to my post. See Below
 
Turbo writes "
AAAHHHHHHHHHHHH NO! NONONONONO! I seriously almost facepalmed my head off my shoulders there.
 
250 mg of what? 500mg of what? Mix that with red koolaid? Really?!? Jonestown anyone?"
 
As I said your own words are sufficient evidence that you are not just correcting someone else's post but behaving in a way that is not at all educational but rude where it need not be therefore discouraging others from posting. That is contradictory to what we are trying to achieve here. This is a excellent forum, I have not seen any other member use your style of put down and insult which continues to ratchet up the more you post to me the uglier and more insulting it becomes. You are proving my point about you and your style very well, thank you, I could not do as good a job of convicting you based on evidence of your behavior as well as you are doing on your own.
 
You do make excellent points even in your responses to me on this thread, I have learned from some information you have posted. I just continue to believe that name calling, making fun of people or accusing them of things not based in fact but in your own negative opinion of the poster make the "correction" a personal attack, where it is not needed.
God Bless
Back to Top
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group


Joined: October 27 2007
Status: Offline
Points: 6049
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by Debbie Debbie wrote:

I am not back peddling sir, the words on all of the posts speak for themselves including your own. Because you say you are not bullying does not make it a fact. My point is personal attack has no place here it discourages people shaing, people are sharing to help others not hurt. I look at all posts from that standpoint. I agree 100% if someone sees information that is not true, or can add their own knowledge to that which is already posted it is wonderful bc it helps even more.


What the hell are you talking about? Nobody attacked you. Are you trolling? If I see survival information that's not true and dangerously so, it's my *DUTY* to tell you that you're wrong. There really was no information to add aside from you being ignorant, again, dangerously so to not only others, but if you actually believe what you wrote there, to yourself as well.

Originally posted by debbiencusa debbiencusa wrote:

As I said your own words are sufficient evidence that you are not just correcting someone else's post but behaving in a way that is not at all educational but rude where it need not be therefore discouraging others from posting. That is contradictory to what we are trying to achieve here. This is a excellent forum, I have not seen any other member use your style of put down and insult which continues to ratchet up the more you post to me the uglier and more insulting it becomes. You are proving my point about you and your style very well, thank you, I could not do as good a job of convicting you based on evidence of your behavior as well as you are doing on your own.


That's because the more I correct you the more you cry about it and think I'm taking shots at you. You're so wrong about this because you're 100% ignorant about it. Then you have the audacity to post about it as if you're an subject matter expert, or at the very least have a smattering of experience and what you're talking about doing can make someone sick, if not outright kill them! You absolutely need to be slapped down with extreme prejudice early and often. I *SHOULD* have attacked you personally for what you wrote because it came from a level of ignorance in the medical field I've not seen in YEARS!

Did I call you stupid? Dumb? An Idiot? No. Those are personal attacks. Did I Ad Hominem you to take credibility away? Again, no. You are just one of those people that can't take it when someone shoots holes in your ideas, then cries that I'm being mean to you. I get that, and it's funny, but seriously, you need to grow up if you take personally when someone tells you're dangerously wrong.

That said, I facepalmed because what you said was so frikin' stupid it genuinely astounded me. I seriously slapped my own forehead when I read that. Also you're so wed to your know-it-all position that you feel that I'm personally attacking you by telling you that your idea of taking antibiotics at elevated levels is dumb, and facepalming because you don't know squat and talk like you knew anything about it.

Then you go on to say that people shouldn't listen to what their doctor says, or should discount asking them in the first place because you don't trust your doctor. Seriously, you have a problem if you honestly believe what you've typed there because you're so lost you're going to need a compass to find your elbow. I'm just wondering if you posting that was some kind of trollface internet deal where people get others to do something stupid like put vinegar/lemon juice into a pan of bleach and blow into it with a straw trying to make crystals. (It creates Chlorine gas and can kill you)
 
Originally posted by Debbie Debbie wrote:


You do make excellent points even in your responses to me on this thread, I have learned from some information you have posted. I just continue to believe that name calling, making fun of people or accusing them of things not based in fact but in your own negative opinion of the poster make the "correction" a personal attack, where it is not needed.


I didn't have any opinion of you, negative or positive until this thread. I *DO* have an opinion of you now, though I'm not going to share it for fear that you think that I'm again personally attacking you.
Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views. - William F. Buckley
Back to Top
Albert View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 10:10pm
ding ding ding
Back to Top
debbiencusa View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group
Avatar

Joined: April 25 2013
Location: nc
Status: Offline
Points: 2100
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debbiencusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2013 at 3:51pm
I am certain that by reading all the posts from the beginning to the end, people will be able to form their own opinions on fair and unfair judgments made.
I have never in my life been called so many names by someone who appears to be unaware of what they are doing.  I wish that all these posts would be removed other then Jacksdad  and others who posted information that was not dispelled. The integrity of the site is bigger then the individual posters who disagree. I have no problem with that. I apologize to all who have had to witness this, it makes everyone uncomfortable, you have all helped me so I do not wish to be a involuntary part of that discomfort.
God Bless
Back to Top
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group


Joined: October 27 2007
Status: Offline
Points: 6049
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2013 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by debbiencusa debbiencusa wrote:

I am certain that by reading all the posts from the beginning to the end, people will be able to form their own opinions on fair and unfair judgments made.
I have never in my life been called so many names by someone who appears to be unaware of what they are doing.  I wish that all these posts would be removed other then Jacksdad  and others who posted information that was not dispelled. The integrity of the site is bigger then the individual posters who disagree. I have no problem with that. I apologize to all who have had to witness this, it makes everyone uncomfortable, you have all helped me so I do not wish to be a involuntary part of that discomfort.


I never called you any names. I further never disagreed with you, I just pointed out that you're ignorant of medical practice and drugs/antibiotics. Disagreeing with you takes too much energy, and quite honestly you're not worth the time it would take to disagree with you.

You need psychological help because you're insane.

http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/state/North+Carolina.html

I suggest you look into these and check yourself in. Beer
Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views. - William F. Buckley
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down