Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Expert doubts bird flu pandemic in East Siberia
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Expert doubts bird flu pandemic in East Siberia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Expert doubts bird flu pandemic in East Siberia
    Posted: June 26 2006 at 7:57am

Expert doubts bird flu pandemic in East Siberia

09:47 | 26/ 06/ 2006

KRASNOYARSK, June 26 (RIA Novosti) - A leading ornithologist in Siberia cast doubt Monday over a possible bird flu pandemic in the region after hundreds of wild fowl carcasses were destroyed.

A total of 1,622 bodies of wild geese, as well as more than 50 dead fish, found on the shores of Lake Ubsu-Nur in the Republic of Tuva on the Russian-Mongolian border had been incinerated by Monday.

After preliminary tests, local virologists suggested bird flu had caused the mass bird deaths in the last week, but Vladimir Zabelin, a leading local ornithologist, said contamination of a river flowing into the lake could have been to blame.

"[The deaths] could have been the result of toxic waste being dumped into the Tes-Khem River," he said.

The expert said the fish started dying first, apparently contaminating the birds through the food chain.

The final results will be known by June 29, when a Vladimir-based research institute in central Russia finalizes the analysis of blood samples from dead birds.

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20060626/50007747.html

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2006 at 8:24am
"After preliminary tests, local virologists suggested bird flu had caused the mass bird deaths in the last week..."

So tests must have confirmed the virus...?

"..but Vladimir Zabelin, a leading local ornithologist, said contamination of a river flowing into the lake could have been to blame. "

Uh.. yeah, maybe in the fish. Oh, wait these poor unlucky birds got screwed with both the bird flu and contaminated water. I see. Wacko

Jhetta View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhetta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2006 at 11:48am
Not likely however Fish can be infected with H5N1!

I would say out of the country's we regularly get news from on H5N1.  Russia seems to be responsible in reporting and control measures...

I have lost track of the number of infections and quarantines (sometimes entire villages) ... however they do seem to be very proactive!

I have to say I feel safer with Russia's efforts that most countries infected with H5N1!

They seem to monitor water ways in the flyways and are very proactive with control measures in these areas.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2006 at 6:34pm
DJ Russia Reports H5N1 Bird Flu Strain In Siberian Tuva

MOSCOW (Dow Jones)--The Siberian office of the Russian emergencies ministry announced Friday that an outbreak of the H5N1 strain of bird flu had been registered in the constituent Tuva Republic. The statement said 169 dead wild birds had been collected from the Ubsu-Nur Lake in the Ovyursky district of the Tuva Republic, and the presence of H5N1 in their blood samples had been confirmed by the Kemerovo veterinary laboratory. Although the emergencies ministry said no more dead birds had been found by Thursday, it warned that further outbreaks are likely towards the end of July among young wild birds as their immunity to the disease is weak. -By Grigori Gerenstein; Dow Jones Newswires; gerenstein@hotmail.com (END) Dow Jones Newswires 23-06-06 0923GMT Copyright (c) 2006 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2006 at 6:36pm
as well as more than 50 dead fish

Really do not like the sound of this. More like the ecologic disaster scenario we've read about.
Oisanatta View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oisanatta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2006 at 9:36pm
!
The only thing worse than a brutal lie is the brutal truth. (M Twain) I waited patiently for the LORD; He turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the pit; He set my feet on a rock. Psalm40
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2006 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by Jhetta Jhetta wrote:

Not likely however Fish can be infected with H5N1!

I would say out of the country's we regularly get news from on H5N1.  Russia seems to be responsible in reporting and control measures...

I have lost track of the number of infections and quarantines (sometimes entire villages) ... however they do seem to be very proactive!

I have to say I feel safer with Russia's efforts that most countries infected with H5N1!

They seem to monitor water ways in the flyways and are very proactive with control measures in these areas.

Of all the countries, Russia appears to be the most forthcoming.  The worst, of course are India and China (still!)

Russia has had some coverup problems and the obvious denial at the beginning.  Bird Flu in cows and horses is still being denied, but that is standard almost everywhere, including the Americas.
Jhetta View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhetta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2006 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by JoeNeubarth JoeNeubarth wrote:

Of all the countries, Russia appears to be the most forthcoming.  The worst, of course are India and China (still!)

Russia has had some coverup problems and the obvious denial at the beginning.  Bird Flu in cows and horses is still being denied, but that is standard almost everywhere, including the Americas.

Well if you don't test for it.... you will never find it.  My feeling is... that if they tested for H5N1 in the US with greater zeal...though... still rare...we would not be free.

And I fear in the end... that we may not be much different than some counties; covering up infections!

Be it by smuggling, migration flyways, planes etc... H5N1 is bound to get here sooner or latter.  And you are right the host range and environmental vectors are huge!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2006 at 11:28pm
Jhettta, that is the most impressive of all the images I have seen! Everybody should copy it as a screen saver.
Jhetta View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhetta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2006 at 11:37pm
Thanks Joe... I like pulling info together so that I can see the big picture.

I just did one for fun using a graphic someone posted in the discussion area.... it is the US with radioactive fall out plumes... superimposed over the flyways.  It is off topic...so I wont post it.

:)))) If that happens there will be very few places to hide!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic