Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Sept.1 What Have You Done To Prepare?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sept.1 What Have You Done To Prepare?
    Posted: September 01 2006 at 4:55pm
It's a new month,time to start a new thread!  Were did the summer go?

I will start.

I took my kids to the dentist.  One needs oral surgery and 9 fillings,another needs 3 filling and braces later down the road and another needs sealants.  My husband and I need oral surgery asap.Cry

What does this have to do with preparing?  Getting the medical needs taken care of now will prevent exposure or emerg. down the road when dentist are not available!Wink
homescoolmama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote homescoolmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2006 at 5:47pm
I have done much the same, we have all been to the dentist, the eye doctor for new glasses, rx has changed for all of us, took my sone to physio now, not wait and see. I also am spending about !00$ a month now to buy supplies, like food, gas for generator, we also just put away 7 cords of wood for the wood burning stove. I will be making an extra down duvet this month. I seem to have become very choosy about where and when and why I spend. Do I really need this....
This is my first post, have been lurking and reading for about a year now and find this to be the most honest and informative and just really friendly site Big smile
Hand-washer View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hand-washer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2006 at 5:53pm
welcome homeschoolmama, nice to have you here.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2006 at 5:54pm
Welcome Homeschoolmama.
purplepanther View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purplepanther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2006 at 9:26pm
I have made a total of 15 pints of strawberry jam. I also canned some butter thats about all so far
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2006 at 7:27am
Welcome Homeschoolmama. Sounds like you're preping is well on it's way, and look forward to your input.
We seem to be on the same track as several of you. Dentist appts, oral surgery done (another one in 6 months, but if delayed will be ok). my daughter just had her 4th and final surgery because of an accident Woohoo!!! Both husband and I have backup glasses now. Working on paperwork, and updating wills and life insurence. Thinking of taking a first aid course.
sherriewalker View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherriewalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2006 at 9:35am
not much preping here this month. i tried to take back some of the meds. that i had stocked up on but they would not take them back. walmart did take back the dog food, that was good. thinking of having a food sale but butch and mama are not happy with that idea. they say it took to long to get it together and they think we would not be able to get it back in time  incase bf comes this winter.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2006 at 12:49am
Welcome homeschoolmama. Glad to have you on board.

sherriewalker, I don't understand. Why would you wish to reduce your preps?

I am prepping on. I just turned the canner off and need to get in the bed. It's 2:30 AM here.
This week
200 lbs dogfood, 16 lbs catfood, 20 qts. of Nector, 7 more flats of vegetables, 200 rounds ammo....

Canned 1 1/2 dozen pints of brazil nuts, 7 pints bananas, 6 qts veg. beef soup, 5 qts. H.B.patties, 6 pints BBQ pork.

I don't drink but I started 4 gallons of wine anyway.

I have late squash about to bloom and potato towers started.

Next week I'm going to buy my food; 12 jars of peanut butter, 12 cans of coffee, and 50 lbs of sugar!
Good luck to all.
duchess View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duchess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2006 at 3:01am
Just had 25 cubes of wood chopped and stacked and I've bought 3 more large gas bottles for the cooker.  I am still drying grapes and tomatoes  as I've got a massive glut  in the garden.    I've made lots of fruit cakes  and Christmas puddings  with all the sultanas and raisins I've dried as they last for years.   

purplepanther View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purplepanther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2006 at 1:18pm
Hey maysday how do you can  the  bananas  I would like to know
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2006 at 2:18pm

purplepanther, One needs to use lemon juice or lime juice to can bananas. They will turn out pretty tart but I need to keep plenty of potassium so I buy bananas on sale (with freckles). They are pretty good when used as topping on cake or pancakes. I don't really have a recipe but I think you may use this as a guide. This is a good way to preserve bananas that might go bad before they can be eaten.

Bananas

List of Ingredients

4         lemons grate rinds into the juice of the four lemons

2         cups of sugar

2         cups of water

1 doz. bananas peeled and sliced

Instructions; Grate rind of four lemons into their juice. Boil 2 cups of sugar and 2 cups of water until it is syrup, add lemon juice. Slice bananas in 1" slices and add to boiling syrup. Simmer for 5 minutes, gently. Ladle into sterilized jars, and set jars into canner with water already at a simmer. Water should be about two inches above lids. Bring to a boil and process for 10 minutes. Remember to adjust time for your altitude.

Will make about 5-6 pints depending on size of bananas.

To make Spiced Hawaiian Bananas use lime juice in place of lemon, add cinnamon, cloves, ginger and nutmeg or mace to taste.

Good luck to all.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2006 at 2:36pm
Welcome HSMomma  (how many, how long?) Smile
.................................................................................
I bought a lot of garlic (little jars) and a some cooking sherry.
Does anyone use Ginseng?

...................................................................................................

1: Vaccine. 2006 Aug 10; [Epub ahead of print] < =1.2> < =1.2> Links

Ginseng and Salviae herbs play a role as immune activators and modulate immune responses during influenza virus infection.

Department of Microbiology and Immunology, and Emory Vaccine Center, Emory University School of Medicine, 1510 Clifton Road, Atlanta, GA 30322, United States.

We have investigated the adjuvant roles of common herbal medicines (ginseng, Salviae) and their effects on early immune responses during influenza virus infection in a mouse model.

Intranasal co-administration with inactivated influenza virus A (PR8) and ginseng or Salviae extract increased the levels of influenza virus specific antibodies and neutralizing activities compared to immunization with PR8 alone, and provided protective immunity.

Salviae co-administration significantly enhanced IFN-gamma and IL-2 cytokine producing splenocytes while ginseng induced high levels of IL-4 and IL-5 cytokine producing cells after challenge infection. Cells expressing an early activation marker CD69 and levels of a pro-inflammatory cytokine IL-6 were highly elevated in lungs from naive mice during challenge virus infection, which might be a mechanism in lung inflammation leading to death.

In contrast, immunized mice that were co-administered ginseng or Salviae modulated CD69 expressing immune cells, did not produce IL-6, and showed significant enhancement of influenza virus specific IgA antibody in lungs after challenge virus infection. Therefore, these results indicate that both ginseng and Salviae play a role as mucosal adjuvants against influenza virus as well as immuno-modulators during influenza virus infection.

PMID: 16945454 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

lion of judah View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lion of judah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2006 at 2:54pm
maysday,

What are potato towers?
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2006 at 6:31pm
Haven't done much this week: 60 lbs. puppy food (if I am calculating correctly this will only last a month) need to get alot more! 6 packages of dog treats, bought about 20 packages of various meats (which filled the freezer back up), 4 pkgs toilet paper, 4 pkgs paper towels, 2 Christmas presents.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2006 at 6:37pm
Penham, I, too, have started x-mas presents.  I hope to have it done in a month.  I will not let this thing interfere with christmas for my two kids.  Even during SIP we will have a normal christmas!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2006 at 7:47pm
I also bought a few gifts...and I'm going to step it up.

anyone heard talk on fox...War?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2006 at 8:28am
lion of judah, potatoes towers are container growing of potatoes. Someone posted a good idea on this forum using 5 old tires, starting with a few inches of potting soil in 1 tire (old hay can be used) placing sprouting potatoes eyes and lightly covering. As the potato plant grows keep adding soil and tires as needed. The plant keeps growing up producing more potatoes. I simply use 5 gallon buckets. When the first frost comes I will remove the decaying top and place the whole bucket in a storage building (slightly above freezing) and remove potatoes as needed. With the dehydrated instant and sliced potatoes I have it should be plenty.
Good luck to all.
Mississipp Mama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2006 at 3:27pm
  I cleaned out my linen closset will only keep just enough sheets and towels that we need every day.  Will store the others in plastic containers and put them in the shed near house.  This will give me a little more storage space.  I will be adding 2 small shelves to the linen closet.
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherriewalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2006 at 8:40pm
hi maysday, i've manged to lose our car and cable tv, and dsl. the bank gave us some time to catch up on the car for us to get it back. i don't like the idea of  taking things back but but i have no choice. i have took back some things and sold some others but i still don't have enough to get back the car. i was lucky enough to get my phen. shot the day they came for the car  and i do have about 6 weeks of preps left. i will loose this internet connection on friday  of this week. so everyone take care and when we get things straight i'll be back. thanks sherrie
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2006 at 8:55pm
Wifes grandmother gave us a food dehydrator.Time to ruin some fruit.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2006 at 11:16pm
Big smile 
           Toothbrushes toothpaste and permanent waterproof marker to name all of the above to help stop cross contaminate  germs among my lot . and rinse cups .
                               I watched my family cleaning teeth last night , wasn't good . That toothpaste tube got splattered on five different brushes , youngest put bristles of brush in the opening of the tube Confused not good .
So now each has own brush , paste , cup , in own bag . Hope this works Big smile
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2006 at 8:44am
sherriewalker, I hate to hear you are having a hard time. But it will pass. It has for me many times. I raised 5 children alone and you wouldn't believe how many call me mama. I had such a financial burden with medical bills I had to file Chapter 13 three times to pay them off. I paid it off at 100% but it took me a long time and I didn't think I'd live to see it. I use to send my children on vacation with family and friends-without me and I worked two jobs. Been there, done that, that's how I got here.
But then my rewards have been many. I could tell you stories that would make you cry but you know what... then they would leave you laughing. I hope it's that way with you.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2006 at 2:09pm
   Today I finish cleaning out the guess bedroom.  We very seldom have stay guess.  I moved a couple pieces of furniture out of the room and this gave me a lot more space for preps.  My husband starting cleaning his office today.  He told me that he had saved room for me to store more preps, I was all happy, until I saw that he had left me a 2x2 feet space.  Oh well I ues I'll be thankful for that and prep on.
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherriewalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2006 at 8:50pm
maysday, thanks for the input. i do know it will pass and there are a lot of people who are having a hard time these days. i just tried to do our preping to fast and  didn't stop to think about the rest of the bills. just rying to get done before flu season.  good luck to you and your family, hope all goes well for yall. sherrie
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2006 at 9:14pm
  Sherri I'm sure sadden about the things that have happen to you and your family lately.  I will miss your comments here.  It's because of you that I will have a backup generator soon.  I remember in one of your post you said that Walmart would let you put them on layaway.  I didn't know this before I read your post.  I am hoping to get it out of layaway this month or next.  Please know that I will be thinking of you and your family and praying that things get back on track for you really quickly.  I'm glad you were able to keep some of your preps. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2006 at 12:50am
sherrie, the good news is that at least you have 6 weeks of food. Maybe that will enable you to put all your money on bills for a while to get caught up.

The little store where I stop and buy my weekly fruit gave me a 1/2 box of bananas they were culling because they were too ripe too sell. Out of those I salvaged 8 more pints!
Good luck to all.
Hydrangea View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hydrangea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2006 at 6:39am
I finally tried my new vacuum FoodSaver and am glad that I made the investment. The pile of dry foods that had taken over the kitchen table is slowly disappearing into storage bags. I've been taking the precaution of freezing everything for a couple of days to kill any bugs but freezer space is very limited.

Tomorrow I'll be doing volunteer work at the community food pantry and will be donating any prep food that's nearing its expiration date.

I check several shopping/bargain sites daily and someone found a super deal at CVS drugstore. Included in CVS's end-of-summer clearance items were 2-packs of Coleman propane cannisters for $2! A visit to my local CVS is on my to-do list.
emmajones View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emmajones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2006 at 7:46am
I took inventory yesterday. Going out this weekend to fill in some gaps.    
b4giving
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2006 at 9:19am
Canned 10 more pints of vegetable beef soup and 8 pints of Sloppy Joe.

I have about that much more to can over the next two days then I'm going fishing!

I went to Dollar General yesterday to pick up some spray paint for an old storage rack and found seeds on sale for .12 a pack. I grabbed a bunch more seed.
I stopped by a bargain store and found several items nearing expiration date for pennies such as Sure Jell and vitamin C .50 each so I stocked up on a lot of small items. I can make jelly from juice if needed anytime! If vitamins get so old I'm concerned I can always crush them and add to water for plants.
I recycle wherever I can and utilize what I have so it continues to multiply.

A man who knows one of my sons sent me 20- large gallon jugs (pickle jugs) and upon learning he loved apple butter I sent him some apple butter. He eats two gallons of pickles a month so I have an unending source of these jugs. I wish I could hand some out to preppers.

The apples were gave to me. Also figs. All of my food grade buckets 5 gallon and other came from places of business that trash them daily.

I guess I've lived in somewhat of a prepping mode because the time will come, as it has in the past, where it will be needed.

Good luck to all.
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherriewalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2006 at 8:06pm
hi miss mama,  i was glsd to be of help to you all. i did  not get to keep ours on lawlay but i will go back and do it again.  the enternet place gave me anothe 30 days free so i'm still on line until oct 9. i think by next weekend we should be able to get our car back. but i'm still gonna hold off on preping until we get caught back up. thought about you yesterday butch had a load to take to hattis. and i rode with him and i said hey miss mama wherever you are. he thought i was nuts. take care and thanks, sherrie
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2006 at 9:07pm
My husband and I need oral surgery asap.Cry  from Rapture...

should we laugh or cry?  I cried.  Root Canal. Nearly painless..but jaw
hurt for days after.  Hoping everyone goes...if you haven't been for a while get xrays.  Ask your family Doc for names of 2 or 3 good dental groups.

At least we can all be real healthy, no matter what happens, a good thought.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2006 at 7:01am
Originally posted by Anharra Anharra wrote:

My husband and I need oral surgery asap.Cry  from Rapture...

should we laugh or cry?  I cried.  Root Canal. Nearly painless..but jaw
hurt for days after.  Hoping everyone goes...if you haven't been for a while get xrays.  Ask your family Doc for names of 2 or 3 good dental groups.

At least we can all be real healthy, no matter what happens, a good thought.

Thanks for sharing in my pain.
I have a infection in my lower and upper jaw.....my husband is having complete removal of all teeth and dentures put in.  We would both welcome a root canal over all of this!
I'll give anyone a case of spam if you would like to take my place!LOL
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2006 at 11:02am
  Hi Sherri , I'm glad you are still on line.  Once the 30 days are up just ask for another 30 days they often will grant it to you.  If that doesn't work sign up for another company they will often give you 30 to 60 days free trial periods.  My sister did this for about 6 months when her finances were tight.  If you are ever back in Hattiesburg maybe we can meet some where for tea or lunch.  Good luck, I know things will workout for you.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2006 at 1:03pm
I got 5 jars of apple sauce
5 cake mixes
5 frostings
3 canberry and apple jucie
Harvest the potato's
Picked the apples and wrapped them in newpaper
Harvest the butternut squash...There in crates in basement along with the potato's onions and apples.

2 more boxes of oatmeal

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2006 at 3:09pm
Cleaned out my basment,we had a flood a few weeks back and it got to my preps.  What I thought was just a sweeping and rearanging turned into a nightmare.  I found BLACK MOLDDead growing on stuff/insulation/wood and my walls.  Had to toss alot in the trash and wash down everything with bleach...YUCK.  I now know why our allergies have been horribleDead
roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2006 at 4:17pm
hi to all, I had a day off from work, picked beans and more beans, tomatoes,  and  and washed them  to get ready for freezer bags. picked onions and garlic, and we made a large pots of turkey and chicken soup, freezing the turkey soup. also made a pot of tomatoe sauce with meat, freezing it , the onions and garlic really didn't take off in the garden , must have been all that rain, but was able to use  some today, picked what was left of the grapes, I want to make jelly, but too tired, maybe in AM. my sister and I were scaring off the birds , they got the best of the grapes.  I heard the Canadian geese'/goose, whatever, flying over head, gave me a chill. I told my dd , we have to get a turkey real soon. she's a great kid, didn't bat an eyelash ,when she asked why, and I explained it to her, well good luck to all  roxy
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2006 at 4:17pm

I bought 2 25 pound sacks of beans from Honeyville Grain. I am waiting on more herbs to be delivered. Next on my list is more rice. More canned fruit and veggies. I've noticed really good prices in our circulars. Pretty good way for folks to prep more. What I did notice, was more selections of canned beans., and more small bins of hand sanitizer seem to be out in the aisles.

P.S. Welcome Homeschoolmama!

Gexydaf View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gexydaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2006 at 4:23pm
Went to an estate sale and got one full size and two half sized metro racks.  I'm so excited!  Now I can finally organize the way I want.  All of it was $50 Clap
mamasjob View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamasjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2006 at 6:25pm
harvested apples....bumper crop...:)  & made WAY too much canned apple sauce
rec'd my 2 cords o' wood...all stacked and ready to go in my garage....thanks to several beautiful, sun drenched days...Smile

rec'd my order from Amazon Grocer (thanks to the link someone shared on this site...I rec'd free shipping AND $10.00 off my first purchase...yeah!)
**organic canned papaya & pineapple (will be a LUXURY item w/preps)
**Turkey & Beef Jerky
**COFFEE!!!!

The end
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2006 at 6:36pm
I finally saved enough to buy a two burner camp stove and one big tank of propane.  Wonder how long that will last?  15hrs?

Also got some canning jars at Big Lots  that I plan to use for canning butter.

Next on the wish list is dehydrated eggs.
mamasjob View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamasjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2006 at 6:39pm
Dear 4thegirls~ 

If you need canning jars again...you might post to the Freecycle site for your area...I lucked out and just rec'd 2 DOZEN beautiful canning jars...complete with lids from a sweet older woman who was downsizing her home....completely free.  I have had very good luck with Freecycle...with the more expensive prepping items.  Best wishes, JD
HoosierMom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoosierMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2006 at 7:46pm
2 more cans of coffee, 3 lbs of table salt, 5 cans of Pringles, finished new huge bathroom cabinet, so brought in 3 large containers of liquid laundry deterg, and 3 gallons of bleach, all liquids freeze in the garage during our winters.  Did some reorganizing, had to put can goods in laundry room to prevent freezing.  Sliced 3 quart bags of green tomat (after breading) and put in the freezer, canned a few more qts of red tomat. for soups.  Want to take a really good inventory in the next couple weeks, I have been concentrating on food, feel like I have a few holes, need more paper Need to finish draftels, and  flu like medicines.  I have really had to push myself lately to keep prepping.  I know it is the right thing to do.   Thanks all for ongoing posts.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoosierMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2006 at 7:53pm

I have no idea why in my post it says " Need more paper Need to finish draftel, "      I tried to edit it and put  "more paper Need to finish draftels" but it would'nt let me???  So sorry if it looks as though  I have not finished my draftels-whatever the blazes that is !!!!???Ermm

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoosierMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2006 at 7:57pm
Ok  this isnt a bit funny , it did it again.  Sorry all I do not know what is going on .  Albert  do you have any idea ?? Am I bilingual and not aware -LOL
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2006 at 8:04pm
  I haven't done much prepping since Fri.  I have been nursing an extremly painful ear ache.  I paln to try to get an appt. to see the ear Dr.  1st thing in the morning.  The right side of my face is swollen.  I have been putting heat on it and taking pain killers.  I'm sure glad this is not pandemic time.  I'll ask him for extra medcine so if this happens later on.  You guys might want to ask your Dr. for a pain killer RX.  If I didn't have these left over I would have camped out at his house this weekend the pain was so bad.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic