Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

new kid - me - Event Date: October 05 2006

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: new kid - me
    Posted: October 05 2006 at 10:31am
Confused  First, let me thank all of you so very very much for your posts and wealth of information!  While I'm a very newbie at this, I'll never be able to thank you enough for bringing me this far.  I've only been prepping for about a month but honestly wouldn't be prepping at all had it not been for this forum, truly.  During the last week our local news, here in New Hampshire, has been methodically spooning out info in a special series at the end of each morning broadcast relating to various issues concerning the AF.  While I have so very very much left to do, at least I'm started and any success we achieve to this end will be in complete credit to all of you.  You are my heroes!
Now, the bad (?) news...every village has an idiot, and now you've got yours (actually considered that as my username here but figured no one would read any of my  posts (occasionally, have random thoughts / questions which may be useful) lol!  If nothing else, I can be the blondie asking the questions no one else has the courage to ask - but need to know themselves!!
For today, this has been SO VERY EXPENSIVE!!!  Poverty being the mother of invention, here's 1 for you hopefully.  In place of shampoo (which will also require precious water, brush baby powder through your hair.  Any will do as long as its got the cornstarch which presumably does a good job at picking up the scalp oils.  I'm trying very hard here so here are 2 more random thoughts...anyone considering locks for their gas caps to prevent unwelcomed siphoning and in the event of this disaster, what do you think about making homemade signs (roughed up as if your using whatever you have on hand) that says "Warning!  Bird Flu Here!! to keep looters away...?  To you and yours, keep prepping...!  Pamie
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2006 at 11:32am
Hi, welcome thankful.  You need to have more confidence in your ability to contribute here.  I don't know anything either, just a lot of 'opinions'Wink.

They use a product like that in hospitals and nursing homes, I think it may be a foam that is applied and combed out without water.  There is a version of this for dogs, it may be cheap to buy and the ingredients safe for humans.

How does one attach a lock to a gas tank if it does not have a key lock?  Is there a replacement cap with key that can be bought?  Thanks.

welcome.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2006 at 11:38am
Hello Thankful...

There is so much to read here.  Your ideas are helpful and I put a thread
up for good ideas on a shoestring ... we need more ideas on prepping for less.  We do have them scattered about but if we all put them at prepping on a shostring it may help more people to find these ideas.

thanks for contributing...enjoy the forum.

Prepping on a shoe string...
LoriCohen View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoriCohen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2006 at 11:41am
How does one attach a lock to a gas tank if it does not have a key lock?  Is there a replacement cap with key that can be bought?

Yes, you can buy locking gas caps at an automotive store as a replacement to the one already on your car.  Of course, don't loose the key, and you'll need to lock and unlock it everytime you open & close it.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2006 at 11:54am
Thankful4u:  Don't sell yourself short ever...We really do want your Ideas...Under the pandemic survival tips section of this forum, there a topic called  prepping on a budjet...It has a great Ideas and it's a start...I used it to prep and then when I had about 3 mouths supply I start to add comfort food...Like cake boxes and frostings.  Chips and dips and of course chocolate...LOL

You can learn how to make bread and Can meats and to go back to the basics.  Each forum has a page number. Go back and read the forum topics under prepping..You'll learn how to prep for less and lots of great Ideas...

Ask all the question you want.  Somebody is always glad to answer them..
Give all your ideas...Someone always listening..Many lurking and taking notes.

Good luck and hope to hear from you.

HC

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2006 at 2:19pm
Hi Gulfcoast Mama!  It comes with a lock and key (which I will personally wear around my neck when I get them.  I don't know if you have a Pepboys automotive store around where you live but they have them at around $15 (don't get burnt on ebay!).  I didn't know about the foam but it sounds great!!  My sister's a nurse so I'll check it out with her.  Also, are you familiar with cetaphil?  It's a lotion soap which you can use without water if you want--a bit pricey though at around $12 for a 14 oz. bottle.  I just keep trying to think of ways to save on water since I don't have NEARLY enough!!  Thankful4u!!  Pam
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2006 at 2:41pm
Hi Happy Camper!  Thanks so much for the encouragement; it means a great deal to me.  I've read all of your posts since I've discovered this forum and you've helped me so much already!!  Right now I've been focusing on life essentials:  cigarettes, -candy icecream and lots of Jack Daniels -- lol!!  Just kidding--water, rice, canned goods, etc.  People have often mentioned a  "boogie bag"--I take it a suitcase or backpack in the event of evacuation, whatever?  I have a seasonal campsite and have been wondering about the validity of heading for it should things get bad around here.  I live in my own home but in the past 15 years our area has really overdeveloped to the point that a city has grown up around it and I'm getting a little unnerved with our rising crime stats!  Any thought s?  Just asking because of your userid.  Thankful4u  Pam 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2006 at 2:43pm
Hi Thankful4u - Someone else from New Hampshire is great!!  I have also been watching the WMUR spots on bird flu.  I'm thankful that they are doing them but still frustrated that they don't stress the importance of being prepared.  For everyone else that wants to look at the reports, you can go to www.wmur.com and click on their bird flu series.  Again, welcome and I look forward to your posts.

GG
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2006 at 3:27pm
thank

welcome to the forum.

mama you can replace you cap with a locking one. check out your local
parts store. all of my vehicles have locking caps. gas is too high to let it be stolen.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2006 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by thankful thankful wrote:

Hi Happy Camper!    I have a seasonal campsite and have been wondering about the validity of heading for it should things get bad around here.   

Having a back up plan is so important especially if you in a crowded area or very close to a city...I believe city people will have no choice but to leave and search for food and water along with heat...Being so close to your neighbor could cause problems with them smelling your food. 

Pro and cons. to camper.  I'm not sure weather your seasonal is in the south or north..

Winter...Water is  shut off....No running water...Even if a lake is near bye the lakes will freeze.  Roads get snowed in.  If power goes off you'll need a generator to run the blowers to your heat...  Storing all your preps will be a problem.  Not enough room...It will be very cramped...Even if you had a shed the food will freeze. 

The good news is you can get solar panel to recharge a 12v battery which will run your blowers to your heat.  Your heat runs of propane and electric so that a plus...To refill propane you don't need electric...Although the heat will run on propane the blowers won't. 

Your re fridge runs on propane...Another really good pro for keeping food fresh.  That leave us to water...You'd have to be near a river...Rivers always flow..Fresh water and fish...So If you are going to bug out to seasonal site keep these things in mind.

I'm staying put but also using my camper.  Refridge and sick room.  Im in NY State...County side...

If I lived in the city or crowded suburbs I would definitely have that seasonal site as a back up plan. 

Hope this helps...

Blessings

Debbie
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2006 at 4:09pm
Hi gghugs!!  Smile  Thanks for the hearty welcome!!  I absolutely agree with you that while it's  progress that they're atleast finally getting it in our news, it hasn't seemed very helpful.  I may be cynical right now but I think the agenda is and will always be the health of the economy (not necessarily the number of lives that can be saved at its cost).  What has really troubled me in its presentation is that they continue to say "in the event of" and not "when".  Isn't it the general consensus by all the experts that this will, in fact, happen?  Tommorrow, WMUR will be focusing on how schools will be affected which is of GREAT CONCERN to me as I have a 16 year old who attends a high school with 2000+ students.  Like her contemporaries, she is of the "undestructable, wouldn't happen to me mindset.  Sadly, at the expense of what should be a a wonderful, fulfulling 11th grade educational and social experience, I'm getting closer and closer to choosing the home schooling option...UGGH  Apart from bf exposure,  there's always the school shootings, abductions and terrorism to think about each day...so depressing!  On a better note, hope you're a neighbor here in NH (most of the time I feel like I'm the only one on the alert around these parts!!  Thankful4u  Pam 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2006 at 4:17pm
Welcome aboard Thankful!  Glad you are here.....we are a bunch of village idiots,but we have the largest stock of Spam and toliet paper anywhere on the net! JK. LOL Everyone here is awesome!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2006 at 5:16pm
HEY, Thankful, welcome aboard, this is a wonderful group with lots of info, answers, questions, and a general sense of family, which is so unusual in this life, especially on the internet. Looking forward to your posts, and thank you for the one on using powder for shampoo, good one  that I will use.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2006 at 8:17pm
I live in a medium sized town and when this BF hits I will be hunkered down in my city home. Yes, I have neighbors and I do have concerns about them noticing that I am not out scrounging, but I have no where to run to in the country. With grown children and three grandchildren we will be staying put. I do envy those with country spaces, but many of us will be staying put and trying to hold on to our stash. I haven't purchased a firearm yet, but after watching the new series Jericho, I am considering it. It is human nature to try to get what you need, and I hope it doesn't bring our society to it's knees for anything more than prayer. I am prepping and I feel each day like time is ticking, we need to press on and prepare the best we can.
Dark Wombat View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark Wombat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2006 at 8:33pm
Welcome thankful4u :)  Glad you are with us and please don't be shy to post -- I like your humor and upbeat attitude!
"Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God, believe also in Me." --The words of Christ, John 14:1
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2006 at 6:11am
Hey thankful, I know you said you have a strict budget, thought you'd like to know that a few years I bought a Target version of this cetaphil cleaner you reference.  It was a generic and much cheaper. Same product.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2006 at 10:32am
Words like "generic" "storebrand", etc.  all MUSIC TO MY EARS!  Thanks, GulfcoastMama--Didn't know a generic form existed for cetaphil.  That will save alot of money!!  I've got to sharpen up...just realized Walmart sells water for 50 cents a gallon.  Up to now I had been paying double at our local supermarket.  I'm hoping this is the beginning to a WONDERFUL FRIENDSHIP!!   Have a Great Weekend!  TongueThankful4u
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2006 at 11:02am
Thankful4u, we are thankful4u, too. I think this forum is like a big "think tank." I know I've gotten a lot from it. I hope you do too. Welcome aboard.
May
jofg View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jofg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2006 at 11:02am
Now that you mentioned water thankful4u I'm going to take this off-topic and ask what people are doing for water - are you buying/storing water now?  Or just storing water containers? 

I'm wondering how likely it is that we will lose water service without a lot of notice.  I would expect we would have plenty of time to fill water containers once TSHTF.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2006 at 11:28am
Hi jofg!!  Water was the first thing I started stocking up on.  I heard on the Oprah show that most cities in the US only have about 1 week of backup to support an emergency.  I've been getting it by the gallon and storing it under my beds (much to the displeasure of my family members, so be it).  They recommend 1 gallon per person per day (which doesn't include pets).  I'm not even close as yet so I've invested in a water purifier (miox) and have gotten some water purifier tablets as I do live nearby our reservoir.  Hope I won't need an ice pick as my physical strength is not as strong as my spirit.  Finally, learn from my mistake and get your water at Walmart for 1/2 the price.  Bottled water isn't regulated yet, is it?  So who really really knows which brand is better?  I've heard on the who wants to be a millionaire show that Dasani is made from tap water!!  Haven't figured out the rain water yet as I don't know what the 55 gallon drums are yet that everyone's talking about and where to get them?                       Pamie
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2006 at 11:32am
jofg, water was a big concern for me for a long time. The gallon containers have a shelf life of only about 6 mos. Someone tested water stored in a 2 litter drink bottle and it tested good after 15 years. I don't use many such drinks but refill every one I get with water. The key is to just rinse it out and fill it to the brim so- no air.
You can take reg Clorox and purify water. I bough a Berky Water Purifier to use after that. With a nearby creek we'll survive the water issue but even so the thoughts of where the water came from may make me sick. Also, I'm collecting 55 gallon drums to use as rain barrels. One can usually pick these up for free from truck stops or truck service areas. They come with degreaser or window cleaner and must be cleaned. But even if just used for bath and flushing the toilet to the septic tank it would help. Search any subject and you'll get lot's of answers.

No ones knows if we are going to have power or water or how long water will last from the tap after they run out of chemicals to treat or they loose power. But I would guess it would go quickly maybe before you could get home if you happened to be out.
I hear they passed legislation that will put water and electrical workers  in the category of first responders in a disaster. I don't know how much that will help but all is a wait & see.
Good luck
trisharp View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trisharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2006 at 11:34am
thankful4u...
A good idea for storing water as mentioned here many times is to saye you 2 L  drink bottles (clear plastic) for drinking and milk jugs for other water uses such as flushing & washing.  You can also buy a 6 gallor plastic water jug (green in color) at Wal-Mart in the camping section.
Hope this helps.  I have already filled mine and may do a change out over time.
trisharp
Weird-one View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weird-one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2006 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by jofg jofg wrote:

Now that you mentioned water thankful4u I'm going to take this off-topic and ask what people are doing for water - are you buying/storing water now?  Or just storing water containers? 

I'm wondering how likely it is that we will lose water service without a lot of notice.  I would expect we would have plenty of time to fill water containers once TSHTF.

Jofg,  I'm storing water containers with the idea that I will fill them up when the appropriate time comes.  I'm assuming that by watching the news articles everyday I'll have a few weeks warning to deal with it.  They are much easier to store when empty.  I have 55 gallon drums and 9 smaller containers that the little woman can handle and I can give out to relatives. 

I will also at that time take cash out of the investment account to keep on hand and purchase short term food to be eaten early on.

Steve

For once in my life I hope I'm wasting money!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2006 at 12:37pm
trisharp!  Thx for the 2L idea!!  if you're filling them now, are you treating them in some  way?  Doesn't standing water grow stuff?  I was saving my milk bottles but then read somewhere that they weren't recommended for use as they're extremely hard to sanitize so then I threw them all away!  UGH!!  Pamie 
Weird-one View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weird-one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2006 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by thankful4u thankful4u wrote:

Hi jofg!!  Water was the first thing I started stocking up on.  I heard on the Oprah show that most cities in the US only have about 1 week of backup to support an emergency.  I've been getting it by the gallon and storing it under my beds (much to the displeasure of my family members, so be it).  They recommend 1 gallon per person per day (which doesn't include pets).  I'm not even close as yet so I've invested in a water purifier (miox) and have gotten some water purifier tablets as I do live nearby our reservoir.  Hope I won't need an ice pick as my physical strength is not as strong as my spirit.  Finally, learn from my mistake and get your water at Walmart for 1/2 the price.  Bottled water isn't regulated yet, is it?  So who really really knows which brand is better?  I've heard on the who wants to be a millionaire show that Dasani is made from tap water!!  Haven't figured out the rain water yet as I don't know what the 55 gallon drums are yet that everyone's talking about and where to get them?                       Pamie

Pamie,  55 gallons drums are storage containers made of various materials predominantly steel or plastic.  In my area they are listed in the yellow pages of the phone book under barrels and drums.  The advantages are that they are made for storage, they are economical and there are many products made for handling and dispensing from a drum.  If you get some be sure to specify new food grade plastic ones.  I paid $40.00 a piece for mine.  Keep in mind that water is heavy and a full drum will weigh in at over 400#.  You’re not going to want to move it after filling it.

Steve

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2006 at 1:32pm
Weirdone!!  SO love your name--shows character!!  Thanks SO MUCH!!  Called Home Depot--not there but just as you suggested, found 1 supplier in the yellow pages (out of state) who had them!!  Got directions & will head out there this week.  Sad thing, though...he asked what I was going to use them for (apparently they have new ones and "reconditioned" (?) ones and when I told him, he had absolutely no clue as to what the avian flu was...Cry  He had lots of questions and we actually ended up having quite a lengthy discussion.  He's a grandpop with lots and lots of grandchildren he's devoted to and will be getting help on the computer to check out this forum.  Indirecting, you not only helped me today but, hopefully, lots of others!  Thanks again and when you think you may be wasting money, don't forget your buying a little peace of mind--priceless!!  Sincerely relieved over this one...! 
Take care, Pamie
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2006 at 1:58pm

It breaks my heart to hear people have never even heard of the Avian flu..Way to go Thankful...

This just reinforces my argument that the government isn't doing enough to educate the public...How hard would it be to have commercials on this subject.  How about a public broadcast.. 

You were very kind to take the time out to educate this man...Clap

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2006 at 2:20pm
tri,

i have 6 55 gallons drums of water. i plan on treating it with clorox later.
the clorox will make the water sterile. now there might be little strile critters in the water. the water i plan on cooking or bathing with will be filtered through a charcoal filter.(brita filter)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2006 at 4:01pm
Welcome Thankful! I've been away, so sorry for the late welcome, glad to have you!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2006 at 4:45pm
Thankful4u - drop in to the Tiki Room for a minute and we will talk a little New Hampshire.

GG
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2006 at 6:32pm
Rodin33    I've been reading your posts for awhile and have gotten a great deal out of them!  Many thanks to you for all your contributions.  This forum sure is fortunate to have you as a member.  Best regards, Pamie
Mississipp Mama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mississipp Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2006 at 7:22pm
  Welcome aboard thankful4yu
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2006 at 8:34pm
tigger1,
Algae can't grow without sunlight and if you put a teaspoon of vegetable oil in the drums it will stay on top of the water and keep things like mosquitoes from breeding in it.I need to order the spigots to put in drums.
Good luck to all.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2006 at 9:57am

greetings thankful4yu2,

Welcome and good posting. I wanted to forward a view I have on prepping and how I deal with the stress of it. Its a life style change towards prudence that also puts you in control. By having a large inventory of products on hand you can wait for the big sales and once you are stocked up then you become the one thats incharge of your spending. Even if your graced from tragic times, having the ability to save as much as half on your grocery and household items it is well worth the efforts made to be incharge. Being ready for bird flu or war or a long list of other problems is a bonus, a big one. I only wish it did'nt take the fear of one to get people started on this lifestyle. I have also read some of your other post and I like to hear of people learning the old skills that can save you money and make you less dependent on others. It is very rewarding and addicting to be so selfsufficient and able in so many things. Everyone hear knows the comforts this lifestyle affords and have become better people for their willingness to open their arms and minds to others. Once again welcome, timber 

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2006 at 4:25pm
Hey Timber!  Thanks so much for the warm welcome (especially in the form of spiffing up my username! - you have all been So Great!!  I've always read your posts and have always benefitted from them.  Thank you!  I was spending so much time here as a reader - sort of kind of lurking - it was akin to what I would imagine a stalker might feel like (hah!)  Didn't like the feeling so figured it was time to show my face & see if I couldn't contribute in my own little way--if only by default!  I agree with you wholeheartedly that it truly is a life style change and have come to admire our ancestors so much more!!  Just in the short amount of time I have been diligently (I mean diligently) cutting corners, I've come to the realization that I've lived a very wasteful life  - that embarrasses me and saddens me as the quality of the lives who depend on me most could have certainly been better.  I would pride myself on whipping up a multi-million $ high tech leasing deal but ask if I could make a loaf of bread from scratch?   You probably know the answer, no!!  And I'm a Mom!  I recently heard a quote that all species teach their young to live in the wild - with the exception of humans.  Not quite true, just sadly a lost art thanks the all powerful $ which has crossed the line and changed our priorities for the worse in my opinion.  Well, better late than never.  Take the good and leave the bad I always say.  I'm not the quickest study on most of this, but I WILL LEARN HOW TO MAKE MY OWN BREAD and I will see to it that my daughter learns too--this experience is also teaching me that I've come up short in this category too!  And you're right, Timber maybe it's all about time.  Take care,   Pamie  
roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2006 at 7:21am
 Welcome Thankful to the forum, let me make a suggestion, please try to stay away from milk jug quality water jugs, they leak after a time , I know this from personal experiance, buy them ,if you use the water , and replace often. I buy the gallon bottles, with thick plastic, and can  be reuse. they have a screw top,   good luck ,roxy
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2006 at 9:59am
Hey Roxy, Tongue Thanks for the welcome and so very much for your advice!  I'm sitting here feeling like a stunned deer, though.Confused!!  Didn't know they would leak--how long do you suppose they hold up before that starts to happen?  I've proudly used up all the space under one king bed and one full and have been working on the space under a queen.  What's even worse is that they're all sitting on hardwood floors (which under no circumstance are very tolerant to water spills).  Thought I was so smart discovering the 50 cent 1/2 gallon jug water at Walmarts--eeeek.  I wonder if I should just bite the bullet, get the big drums this week and start filling them with this water (would free up more storage too)...Gee, I'm going to have to brain storm on this one.  Wonder if they could be reinforced by dipping them in hot wax?  Do they typically leak in the same place, i.e. only the bottoms?  I am SO BAD AT THIS!!!  Thanks so much for telling me, Roxy.  This is significant info for me at this point - I so appreciate it! Yours truly, VILLAGE IDIIIIIIIIIOT!!   pamie
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2006 at 4:09pm
TongueDark Wombat!!!   Hi!!!  Careful what you wish for!!  What may at first appear as humor in my case is more than likely the truth rather than the wit!!  Survival?  Yup, people never believe it when they see me or meet me but I was actually a wack in the Marine Corps--but the private benjamin type...what?  we can't smoke???  Out in the field for 7 days, there were only 2 casualties in 240 plus women...I was both.  Gave us compasses, everyone got out (of course, but me--5hrs later and then they had to come and get me!!  Take care!!  Pamie
roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2006 at 9:05pm
Thankful, I don't know where the weak spot is and don't remember how long it took, but  but wax coating, seems like a lot of work, , may I suggest, take the plastic shopping bags from the stores and bag them ,use more than one ,  and tape the top, so if it leaks , you may catch it before you have a flood, believe me it's alot of water to leak,  the best way for new people  to not make our past mistakes is to read the forums from the start , I know it will take time, but it will save you money in the end. i still go back , when I  want to find infro. and find whats best for me in my situation,I'm in a urban area, whats good for me, can be wrong for you, best of luck, roxy
Weird-one View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weird-one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2006 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by thankful4u thankful4u wrote:

Weirdone!!  SO love your name--shows character!!  Thanks SO MUCH!!  Called Home Depot--not there but just as you suggested, found 1 supplier in the yellow pages (out of state) who had them!!  Got directions & will head out there this week.  Sad thing, though...he asked what I was going to use them for (apparently they have new ones and "reconditioned" (?) ones and when I told him, he had absolutely no clue as to what the avian flu was...Cry  He had lots of questions and we actually ended up having quite a lengthy discussion.  He's a grandpop with lots and lots of grandchildren he's devoted to and will be getting help on the computer to check out this forum.  Indirecting, you not only helped me today but, hopefully, lots of others!  Thanks again and when you think you may be wasting money, don't forget your buying a little peace of mind--priceless!!  Sincerely relieved over this one...! 
Take care, Pamie

Pamie, thank you for your kind post.  That’s what things like this forum are for, to spread the word.  It’s fantastic that you were able to educate another, that’s incredibly important.  There will always be Doubting Thomases but each person that prepares lessens the impact of BF on society.

I’ve always prided myself at being self sufficient and emotionally strong but I was shocked at the conditions I saw after Katrina and I live in hurricane prone Florida.  I flew engineers, workmen, survivors and supplies in and out of New Orleans for several days after it hit.  We took a couple of behind the check point tours through the city and the conditions were sobering.  I found it to be worse than portrayed on TV.  TV for instance didn’t show the scope of it or describe the smell, the color of the water or the dead dogs on top of cars, etc., it was grim.  I realized how dependent on others I am for supplies in our just-in-time society.  I now have a garden in my backyard like my Grandmother’s Victory garden.  I’m slowing replacing my landscaping trees and bushes with berry and fruit bearing varieties and I drilled a shallow well for washing water.  I live in a city but I was reared in the country and never had any respect for some of those ways.  Now I’m frantically trying to learn them, it seems I’ve come full circle.  Boy do I wish I had paid attention!

Steve
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2006 at 3:57pm
may,

thanks
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2006 at 4:59pm
tigger1, you are very welcome.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic