Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - when the shtf and the bad guys come, what is your
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

when the shtf and the bad guys come, what is your

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: when the shtf and the bad guys come, what is your
    Posted: October 16 2006 at 3:50pm
this forum has a lot of info. you can learn in here. you can share info in here. you can teach in here. you can also get lost in here. i do that often.
there are so many topics and posts, it is easy to miss one. this forum causes you to think.

i see now that i will not be able to protect from the inside. i do not have any cameras or motion devices. my security is not high tech. i cant run from window to window during the daylight hours to look. when it is night it would be a joke. with no light, what could you see.

if they come in the day, they are really sure of themselves. that will end the first day. the next attack will be at night. if i win this one the fire bombs will come. a fire bomb is a bottle full of gas and a wick. that is what i fear the most.

i know my land. i will be outside.

semperfi all my brothers an sisters

i am a marine.
Ravendawn View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ravendawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2006 at 4:12pm
Yes you are right some will kill for the sake of it ,as it has been expressed by many here in a worst case scenario this will be a nightmare situation,the only thing i happened to come across to avoid this situation will be to make escape routes via hidden exits,
1,Make a hole in the wall going into your neighbors house make it
hidden with a book case.
2,Make a hole in the wall going  into your back or front garden hide it with plants ,wheelbarrow,etc.
3,Have  powder fire extinguishers in every room if someone gets in it can be used as a smokescreen to disorientate them.
If you look at nature some animals adopt the multiple exit strategy Smile
Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2006 at 4:16pm
Read your post ...This forum have been a fountain of info for all of us..I dread the day the power goes out permanently,It's going to be real lonely and scary place,beyond words...because at that point we will all put into practice everything we've learned here, I pray that these dark times will not come,but all the signs are there..I figure if I can think up scenarios how vulnerable we may be, I'm sure some sicko will also.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2006 at 5:19pm
tigger1, I don't have all the right answers but if you have solar lights outside (where there is an entry point) and your house is dark inside you can see out but the invader can't see in. Security systems won't be much good without power. As a matter of fact they may be an invitation because they will know that's a joke. Who would come to the rescue anyway? My dogs will let me know if a person comes up. The UPS man throws packages at my house. I hope he lives far away and doesn't get real hungry.  We plan on blocking off drives. I also through about getting some yellow crime tape and putting it up around the front. Just a thought. Put official looking Quarantine Signs on doors. Sorry but I still think you would be safer inside than out because they don't know what is on the other side of that door. In your case I think I'd instruct my mom and brother to stay in bed and act real sick. I'm serious. That alone might convince them. Maybe it's like with hobo's. They will spread the word?
What purpose is there in setting a house on fire knowing it might run the people out but would also burn up what they are after? I may be wrong but I think that kind of crime is like retaliation stuff and just haven't heard of anyone setting a house on fire and then robbing it. If they try it here they best make the first shot count.
Good luck.
quietprepr View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quietprepr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2006 at 8:54pm
I have day and night vision cameras concealed in in several locations around my house. they don't draw much power and will easily be powered from my solar system. Several very large dogs (Rhodesian Ridgebacks) to compliment my firearms. If (and only if) there is a total collapse of society and the rule of law, I have a few tricks I learned in the Army (Ranger). It would take a very large and determined group to root us out of here. Generally seeing dozens of your fellow looters go down should make the rest think twice. My home is difficult to get close enough to throw a firebomb without taking sniper fire for about 150 meters in all directions. It was very good advice to have multiple escape routes planned...there is always the chance that some unforseen circumstance will require you to bug out.
Don't rely on luck...I find the more you prepare, the luckier you will be.

Prep on.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2006 at 9:22pm
Tigger

i come from a Navy family - so semper fidelis brother
Fastcard View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fastcard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2006 at 12:47am
Tigger, more power to you. In a rural enviroment you might be safer away from your home.

Some predators will indeed, try to burn people out of their homes. In my neighborhood it might work once. Then I think , the the two acitive duty, one retired, police officers, the  three of four retired military guys, and the various sportsman in our neighborhhod just might get a bit touchy about you just waltzing into our  homes to pillage and burn them . I don't know how many guns they have or how much ammo but I am betting it is adequate for almost any scenario.

Why do we always assume the bad guys can't be stopped? The way I see it the bad guys never meet any real resistance( and they are protected more than hindered by the law). In the LA riots people just barricaded there own neighborhoods and it worked like a charm.

A Bible verse that is just perfect...... for the situation.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2006 at 1:06am
thank yall for your comments. a bug out plan would be perfect if i were by myself. i have my mother and my brother. this is why i will be outside. like i said, i know my land.

may i have dogs. they are worth nothing but are worth everything. i love my dogs.

may,

you ought to see shadow. she is half great dane and half sheperd. she is about 54 inches around the chest. i estimate her weight at 180 pounds.
she is like a puppy to me.

GOD be with you all
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2006 at 9:54am
tigger1, Your dog is large. She must be tall also.Maybe she'll scare people aware. My labs are overweight and spoiled old dogs. I have a younger dog (about 2 now) which I chased down in a half frozen ditch as a pup. He was dehydrated and scared and tried to get away from me. He looked to be about 6 weeks old. I brought him home thinking I would find him a good home but he came to trust me but no one else. He stays close to the labs but if anyone comes up the dog which looks like a border collie, will jump a 5 foot fence and get out. I have a video somewhere I'm looking for. One son hates him because no matter how much he comes over Trapper barks at him. He has never bitten anyone so I tell people that's his job!
If nothing else I will know when someone comes up. They would have to shoot my dogs and that would really ruffle my feathers! The gentlest of dogs can sense fear. I never cease to be amazed at the things they do.
Good luck
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2006 at 10:04am
I have a big dog and a bigger gun!Good people well go bad fast when thay dont have food are water!I think we well be ok for two to three weeks .Then peoples food well run out!Then I think it well get very ugly very fast.I just hope the feds have there poop in a group and can help!But depend on them NO WAY!!!!
Bill 100 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill 100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2006 at 11:59am

I think most that would do home invasions would want to see what you have before burning your place down. But there could be some crazed killers.

I was thinking if things got really bad. It would not take much to make a trap door to my crawl space. At one end I have about 3 feet, and what else would I have to do. I could set it up to sleep there. If I had a home invasion at night it would buy time, and switch the element of surprise. While they are digging through my stuff I could pop up out of the floor and surprise them. I would only need to expose enough to sight a gun.

A storm is coming !
Never2late View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Never2late Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2006 at 1:28pm
Not to be flip, but if things get real bad, what can anyone really do but try to survive against the odds? Kick, bite, stab, shoot, hide, run, whatever works is probably what you'll do. The people of Iraq have been living this horror now for years...not knowing what the next day will bring. Most will survive but many, many, will die. That's life.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2006 at 2:01pm
Bill 100, I can't do that as my house is built on concrete slab but it would be my luck anyway to get sprayed with lead before I could sight a gun. If you do that could you put a chair or something over the opening so as not to have to raise a door? I doubt they will come in moving furniture and if it's in an out of the way corner something light with shirts you could raise maybe they would not suspect? I hope no one gets that close to me but you never know. The idea you propose is a situation where monitoring between rooms may be helpful (like baby monitors?).
Good luck.
Bill 100 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill 100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2006 at 2:30pm
I was thinking about putting it under my dinette table, with a small rug on top. That would give me the widest field of fire, and not a place someone would step. I would be hard to see to be able to target in the dark, except for the flash of my gun fire, and I could choose my time to engage. Plus I would be a very small target where they would be a big target.
A storm is coming !
nzpreper View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nzpreper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2006 at 1:28am
hi tigger,good post.......
my 2 cents.....you seem to think that when tshtf,the crims would be using the "normal rules of engagement".......they wont have that luxury.none of us will.i think it is a mistake to overly fear the crims/badguys.
example: we had a power cut here a few nights ago.everything went pitchblack....everything.i said to my 2 eldest kids "this is what it will/would be like when the pandemic hits".....you couldnt see anything at all.once those street lights go out,....total blackness.
my point is,....the badguys cant see in the dark either.they posess no superhuman strength,vision,or power.once the lights go out,we are all on a level playing field.i reckon the best thing to do is put 12 inches of concrete between them & you.they can kick & scream all they want,but they aint getting in.if they try to burn your house down,throw a cup of petrol at "them" before they get too close.........watch them run like hell,once they realise what they have on them......."you" are inside tigger,protected,sheltered & with supplies."they" are outside,completely
defenseless ( so to speak)...if you run out of fire extuinguishers,use bags of flour to stop fire......take heart tigger,all is not lost.
nzpreper View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nzpreper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2006 at 1:36am
also,......if the badguys are coming to burn your house down,
they are carrying accelerants (petrol,diesel,kerosine and suchlike)
if you threw a cup of petrol onto their person,you immediately stop their attack.

for instance (if they have just been hit with a cup of petrol,....do you honestly think they would even attempt to light what they are carrying in their attack against you ??.....no freeking way,unless they wanted to burn themselves crazy........)
and lets not forget,they wont be able to run to the nearest water supplie
(tap/fawcet) to get running water.
the water  supplie could be shut down also.
they would simply burn ,baby, burn.
they would have no medical supplies on hand if they were injured,
alot of the replies here seem to think that killing is nessecary.
how sad...........
any injury,even a small one is enough to repel an invader.
dont kill a man over chicken soup............
nzpreper View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nzpreper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2006 at 2:01am
i have seen alot of posts on this forum lately,that advocate killing other people.

.....how sad.........

did you know that you can repel an invader without killing them ??.......
i know it may sound hard to believe,but you can injure a man simply by clubbing his knee.
...."shock"......horror"...........all the survivalists reel,at the thought...!!*****"!!@#$%^&*

many of the camo wearin rambos on this forum think that killing is the only awnser.
you are wrong...................
by a simple twist of fate, "i" could be the man knocking on your door begging for food......(or so could you)...if your replie to me is simply to kill me,then we are all truly lost. god bless america  ??....i dont think so...............................

nzpreper View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nzpreper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2006 at 3:02am
i believe that a/the pandemic is mother natures way of rebalancing the world.
all the terminators/rambo's/vin diesels/dirty harrys of the world would be long gone.
(and good riddance)
once apon a time,men were balanced,peaceful,good,kind,helpful people.
perhaps after such an event,the truly decent men shall prevail,while all the
rambos & terminators perish ?
when my grandfather was a boy,he was taught to be kind,bold,gentle,peaceful,manly...etc.......
these days,everybody wants to be bluddy arnold schwarzenegger or vin diesel.....gees guys,....what ever happenred to decent men ??......
men who had the balls to talk things over,and respond in kindness ??......nowadays,everybody wants to pull out their magnums,and silence the badguys !!??!!...........**** ??!!
the bad guys,will perish first.

long live decent men................

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2006 at 4:46am
Uh, you might not be able to see in the dark but I can.  I have night vision goggles for me and my family.  A lot of bad guys have these too.

You come across as a really good person nzpreper.  Don't be fooled into thinking that you will be able to talk your way out of a bad situation.

I have to assume that "nz" is for New Zealand.  Your country has high gun ownership rates within the population.  As a result, crime is lower where you are as opposed to your neighboring Australia. 

If you  haven't already, take advantage of the right to own and bear arms now.  Just because you own a gun, doesn't mean you have to use it.  But having it around in a time of need is an awfully good insurance policy.
Regards,
Babcom
Bill 100 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill 100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2006 at 8:40am
It would be hard to count how many times it has been posted ("Prepare for the Worst, and Hope for the Best"). I don't know anybody that plans on (shoot first then ask questions later). Nobody has a crystal ball to know how this is going to pan out. The use of Deadly Force is just like anything else (being prepared for the worst) and not that it is going to be used.
I have bugout gear but that dose not mean I will be Bugging out, I am just prepared, if I need to.

If somebody trys to break into my home I would not be looking for gas, Pandemic or no Pandemic.
A storm is coming !
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2006 at 8:47am
nzpreper, you have a lot of good ideas but I'm afraid throwing a cup of petrol on someone would just make them angry and if you ever have to do that expect them to be back. Sometimes just a spoken word is enough to cause retaliation.
Also, in the old day's (in case some don't remember) people just didn't mess around a decent mans house after dark. They would be asking to get shot.
Good luck to all.
detpat View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote detpat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2006 at 10:10am
with the petrol thing, some people are just unbalanced, after the shtf many will be much more unbalanced.  never base your whole defence on forced compliance, it doesn't always work. 

no one, no matter how well trained can defend a fixed position from a sufficiently motivated force of people.  You have to assume that by the time they get to you they probably already have some experience in taking down isolated family groups.  This means that you need to be proactive in your defense.  especially in rural settings, good commo and aggressive patrols at a reasonable distance.  the further away you identify a threat the more buffer you have to use to hurt and dissuade them.  If they're already on your front porch, it's WAY too late.

the best thing to do is organize, this is what humans do second best, tools are first [unless you count screwing each other over, and i think that comes under organization as well]  an organized front is the best dissuader of all. most of the marauder groups we are thinking about here are goping to be operating under certain principles geared toward survival, your strategy is to prepare  etc.  , theirs is to utilize the resources of an area [you] and then move on to another area [like most classic herd animals, crossed with predatory tendencies]  if your group can demonstrate to them that you are a tough target and they may actually lessen their survival chances, they will probably [PROBABLY] move on to greener pastures.  Just like street criminals they will want to maximize their chance and minimize their risks.  Which is better $100 and a gunshot wound, or $100 bucks?

pat
never underestimate the power of human stupidity
Bill 100 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill 100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2006 at 12:37pm
I agree it's better in numbers, if things got really bad, but it would do away with a isolation plan. I would not try to defend a fixed position (long term). I believe I would have the option of bugging out before civil order got that bad. But I am only one, and bugging out, is a individual judgement call.

But this is all speculation, and we might all be suprised by the government having it together and we have no civil disorder or very little.
A storm is coming !
PATB View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PATB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2006 at 1:43pm

We installed motion lights with video, that shows on a TV in the supply room. This is at the rear of the property.  The rest is block fence.  The most vulnerable is large front windows, so I planted sharp, pointed cactus to discourage entry. Its called aloe plant, also known a "medicine plant" and uses little water. I don't know what else to come up with.  Oh yes, we have 3 BIG dogs. Chow, Ger.Shep., and Lab...they help me feel better.

Pat
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2006 at 3:54pm
nz,

we come here to read and learn. i am a very kind person. i am not rambo.
i work in the medical field. i work with the very sick and dying everyday.
we all seem to agree that the bf will mutate and is coming.

if it happens the bf will create all kind of problems. hunger will  change the most. i have read so many posts about no one prepping. it is the same here.
nz,
if i see a group o people with axes and machetes or guns, do you really think they are coming to talk? they will be looking for food and water.
i have no mace or pepper spray or gas in a cup.

if i see a threat to me or my family, its pretty simple. shoot to kill. a head shot is the best one. the chest is a good one. there is always the gut shot.

good luck all

nzpreper View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nzpreper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2006 at 4:09pm
hi tigger,im not suggesting "talking" to an angry,starving mob.
not even a fool would be so foolish.
the idea behind dowsing an attacker with gas,is to take away some of his attack upon you.if he gets closer,you "light him up"......
this idea could be used by anyone who has no gun.
personally,i have a rifle. my failure to mention this is intentional.
but obviously,if attackers came to attack us,natrually,id fight back.
i agree.
what i dont agree with,is a few topics on the forum,that offer advice
in regards to the "best" way to take a human life.
(ie:the best way to shoot or stab someone) all of us posess enough commonsense,to figure out that kind of thing should things become that desperate.what attreacts me to this forum,is advice on "saving" lives.
i'll leave the knife tutorials to other members.
stay safe randy.
i appreciate your comments.
nzpreper View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nzpreper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2006 at 4:34pm
actually randy,i have not yet got together a bug-out-bag,so i'll remedie that today,and work on it over the next few days.
im not expecting to need to bug-out,but your'e right,prepping is the key here.
(thanks to members who suggested the b.o.b idea)
i also will be getting myself a set of nightvision goggles.
good advantages of being part of these forums huh ??
thanks guys & gals.
prep on !!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2006 at 5:28pm
I am not a rambo ... but there are a few in the neighborhood.  So I think we will be ok.
"...if your group can demonstrate to them that you are a tough target and they may actually lessen their survival chances, they will probably [PROBABLY] move on to greener pastures...." 

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2006 at 7:24pm
nz,

at some point the kindness stops. i pray that i make the right decision. you protect your family. i will do the same. it  is good to meet you.
nzpreper View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nzpreper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2006 at 8:27pm
i agree tigger,and it will be a sad day when that happens.
at that point,i'll be fighting for my familys life,as you will for yours.
i hope & pray we will survive this,should the worst ever happen.
kind regards to you tigger.............
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2006 at 8:49pm
I was thinking... I know it sounds strange that I was accomplishing that astounding feat, but Iwas doing it!

Anyway, I was back in my hometown in Minnesota over last week and noticed something: If some kind of craziness hits you won't be able to bug out. If you've got some kind of warning yeah, I guess you could theoretically bug out, but then everyone else will have that same info and will be trying to leave as well. Now if you're a country dweller, you're already bugged out so do whatever.

If you're a city or suburb dweller you're not going to be able to leave for quite a while in a total SHTF scenario. The roads are impossible to navigate right now when it's rush hour. If something big was going down you wouldn't be able to get anywhere! You might as well wait in your home or somewhere you can walk to before you try to skip town.

Secondly: Having a couple of buddies, making a team is an awesome idea. Get to know your teamies real well so you get to the point you know what they're going to do before they do it. I've got four guys that together have trained together for years, one being my brother.

Lastly: In a bad situation, like pandemic, terrorist WMD attack etc, the dirtballs will come out. They're going to come to you to take what they want, and will try to kill you in the process. If they take all your food or whatever, what's the difference between that and putting a bullet in your brain? Not much I'd say.

Anyway, either you kill them, or they've got a lot worse than killing you in store. That doesn't make me some kind of Rambo, it makes me a realist. You've never had *ANYTHING* like Katrina in your home country. People were shooting each other regularly during the aftermath of that.

once apon a time,men were balanced,peaceful,good,kind,helpful people.
perhaps after such an event,the truly decent men shall prevail,while all the
rambos & terminators perish ?

Not likely. If the "good people" do nothing, or better yet don't defend themselves, they'll be slaves to the "rambos and terminators."

This kind of thing will bring out the absolute worst in all people. All the "good" people which you speak of will probably be just another nameless, faceless victim in a long line of victims if the SHTF. Oh and the evil survivalists and Rambos will probably end up living to see the end of it.

A wise man once said: "Turn your swords to plowshares, and you'll plow for those who did not."
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2006 at 9:01pm
OK, well, I'm glad you started this thread because I need to know if any of you can translate something into Spanish for me.  (I'm not being mean, not making any comments in a negative fashion on Hispanics, please trust me.)  I've saved some of the large, weatherproof local politician signs that I use as yard sale signs (when we do that twice a year) and I'm intending to write on the back of them in large permanent ink:

"Transpassers will be SHOT on sight. 
NO QUESTIONS. 
Turn back NOW." 

I figure it's only fair to put one in English and one in Spanish, side by side because we have a large Spanish speaking population here (and I know many of them don't speak v.g. English.)  So can anyone translate that so I can prep my signs?  At least I'll know I gave them a chance to read my intentions to kill them on sight.
I ordered wedge alarms - battery powered (online, about 6.95 each, don't forget one for each garage door, put it where the door will roll up onto it.)  They'll go off in a large piercing alarm if the door is opened and the wedge will give us a second to bring a weapon to bare to blow them away.  (And I will.  My attitude is if they're on my property they will do me harm or my children and I won't ask them to leave so they can come back later when I'm sleeping.  Or have them go break in one of my neighbor's homes who maybe isn't prepared.  I think of awful I would feel if I allowed them to get away, only to hear my neighbors being raped, shot or worse.) 
I also have boat horns to use as alarms.  (Wal-mart boating dept.) They really are deafening, if you've ever had one go off near you it will startle you!  That's to bring us to attention on an intruder, if one of us is on alert with a horn and we hear it go off, the rest of us are to go to weapons immediately.  (Or alarm of any kind.)
For women who are reading this... here's something to think about.  If someone comes up, and you don't know who they are and you yell out to them to leave, you've basically established a weakness right there.  Whoever that is (and there will probably be more than one) will identify you as a female and will guess by the fact that they heard you and not a male that you are alone, or just with kids, and will try all the harder to get at you as they will think you're an easy target.  My advice is don't communicate.  Use your advantage and get them before they get you. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 2:33am

turbo,

if you live in or near a big city you will probably die. i dont so that is a plus for me. i will be outside. i will be roaming.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 3:47am
Originally posted by 4abbie&maddie 4abbie&maddie wrote:

Use your advantage and get them before they get you. 

Shoot them first, and shoot them good.

Originally posted by tigger1 tigger1 wrote:

if you live in or near a big city you will probably die. i dont so that is a plus for me. i will be outside. i will be roaming.

I live in a semi rural area in central MO. If you live in the more liberal areas you're in for a real nightmare if you're unarmed. If you do have some actual protection (guns) and live in those same areas you just might have some semblance of a shot at living through it all since so few others have any decent firearms. (Tec-9's and the like are crap that Rappers and dirtbags think is cool, they're not decent guns) Out here where I live the vast majority of the people have guns, know how to use them, and are looking for pretty much any reason to go hunting some bipedal game.

I must admit you're probably right, Tigger... In the city your chances are seriously slim that you're going to make it. But truth be told there'll be many survivors in the city populace and many deaths among the rural people. (Probably from the mas exodus of city people when the food runs out and they come searching...)
Holliegh View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holliegh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 5:21am
I have a notebook and have divided it up by topic, End of Days- is my bird flu diary; Plans 4 Pandemic- includes all plans 4 differnt senarios, death, sickness, tresspassers, violent people, escape routes(as many as 6 different routes depending where I am in the house); and various notes, info, and ideas.  I read it alot just 2 keep everything fresh, I have also informed my husband about all my provisions,: not 2 worried about him, he's a martial artist and has been giving me hand 2 hand & knife training. We also have guns and ammo, and I have gone 2 get my permitt 2 carry concealed weapon, -I feel confident about my safety. I have no problems shooting someone intent on doing me harm.I also will post a sign in my front window 2 warn people, should they decide 2 try 2 invade my home.
Get Prepared!!!
Weird-one View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weird-one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 6:47am

nzpreper, First I would like to say I like the douse 'em with fuel idea.  I may experiment with a garden sprayer or some other device to see if I can douse a few at a time.  I like having multiple weapon possibilities.

I hadn't really thought of fire fighting equipment, to combat retaliation but will start planning around that possibility, thanks for bringing it up.  I would assume it's likely for the hoards to attempt to burn me out or set my house ablaze to distract me or in retaliation for perceived transgressions.  After all they set LA on fire for no tactical reason after the Rodney King incident and most riots I see on TV involve the burning of vehicles and businesses.

Originally posted by nzpreper nzpreper wrote:

...if you run out of fire extinguishers, use bags of flour to stop fire......take heart tigger,all is not lost.

When I was younger I was cooking something in the oven and started a small fire in there.  Knowing that baking soda makes a good impromptu fire extinguisher, I looked around, found some flour and thinking it was like baking soda threw some on the fire.  I learned about dust explosions that day.  Take a peek here to see the damage one can do.  Fortunately I was not injured but it made a big impression on me.  The US military teaches an improvised explosive technique that uses a bag of flour and a small incendiary lofting charge to disperse the contents of the bag and light it off.  It does a lot of damage.  I would suggest you use some other extinguishing agent.

Steve

For once in my life I hope I'm wasting money!
emmajones View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emmajones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 8:44am
Originally posted by 4abbie&maddie 4abbie&maddie wrote:

OK, well, I'm glad you started this thread because I need to know if any of you can translate something into Spanish for me. 
"Transpassers will be SHOT on sight. 

NO QUESTIONS. 

Turn back NOW

Hi 4a&m. I tutor a Spanish lady in English so I've picked up a little Spanish. Between Babel Fish and my Spanish dictionary I think this correct:

Los que entrar ilegal sera TIRO cuando le veo.
NINGUNAS PREGUNTAS.
De aqui AHORA.

My verbs or tenses may be off but I think they'll get the idea.

b4giving
mom24kids View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mom24kids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 8:46am
hi there,,,am totally ignorant about guns,,i live in the dc suburbs.  do you just go in a gun store and buy a shotgun?  i checked out state laws in maryland and shotguns i believe are legal to buy. 
then of course, i would take a class to learn how to use it,,
any advice would be appreciated!
AVanarts View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AVanarts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 9:29am
mom24kids
The best thing is to go ask at a gun store.  Actually, several gun stores.  Just go in and tell them that you don't know anything about guns, but are thinking about getting a shotgun.  Ask about local laws, and also ask where to get firearms safety training.  Asking about where to get firearms training is a big thing, as it will let the person you are talking to know that you are serious.

If they guy behind the counter talks down to you or acts like a jerk, walk out and don't look back.  Just go to another store.
jofg View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jofg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 11:13am
Gun stores - sporting goods stores - Wal-mart (do they still carry rifles/shotguns?)  are all good places to go.....
tigger1 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigger1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 11:27am
mom,

you need a bug out plan. if a shotgun is all you can get, get a mossberg
12 guage pump. this gun is good. it is has a good price. it kicks like a horse.

when tshtf you need to get as far away from there as you can.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 12:00pm
for smaller people a good 20 guage would be a little easier to handle

and it dosent give up much in preformance...
mom24kids View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mom24kids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by tigger1 tigger1 wrote:

mom,

you need a bug out plan. if a shotgun is all you can get, get a mossberg
12 guage pump. this gun is good. it is has a good price. it kicks like a horse.

when tshtf you need to get as far away from there as you can.

thanks tigger and guys for the advice,,i want to stay here though,,i love my home and don't want to be on the road during this pandemic ,or somewhere i don't feel comfortable in,,,no way.
my plan is to dig in and defend.  and believe me,,i will make whomever rue the day they try and get in my home and harm me and mine =)

walmart in our county doesn't sell any guns of any type. 
but i will check out other places,,thanks for the tips! =)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by mom24kids mom24kids wrote:

hi there,,,am totally ignorant about guns,,i live in the dc suburbs.  do you just go in a gun store and buy a shotgun?  i checked out state laws in maryland and shotguns i believe are legal to buy. 
then of course, i would take a class to learn how to use it,,
any advice would be appreciated!

WHOA! Slow down there buckshot...

First and foremost you'd better figure out the laws in your locality in regard to second amendment rights. (or lack thereof)

In DC the gun laws are so draconian that, I believe, to even own one and keep it assembled is grounds for an arrest! This might be why the crime rate is absolutely rediculous in DC as well. It's a well documented fact that where fewer people own firearms, aggrivated crime rates skyrocket.

I'm not up on my DC local laws, so you might want to look at the DC laws instead of the Maryland ones, you might fall under DC's jurisdiction and run far afoul of some Mala prohibita law, then wind up in real jail!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 5:14pm
I'm not encouraging anyone to break laws, but I won't tell if you won't.  Put it in your safe and don't tell the cops it's there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic