Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

The bird flu and the housing bubble

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The bird flu and the housing bubble
    Posted: November 28 2006 at 9:22pm

Lots of people have gone crazy and "invested" money in property in the form of houses or units/appartments and one thing and another.

This housing bubble is now unwinding and home prices are falling - traditionaly after a bubble the asset deflates by 80% or more.

In the case of a bird flu pandemic and the SHTF, the possible strike rate is 40% of the entire population of the world and as we all understand most will die.

Imagine all the empty houses going cheap.

If a man has family members who die he will inherit their homes so if he wants to sell it there will be houses everywhere - everyone will have at least one but the population will have been culled.

There will not be the population.

You can own a home in every city if you like.

One interesting thing though - after a war or a calamity, some mechanism goes off and people start breeding and large families are everywhere.

The baby boomers came after WWII when 60 million died so imagine if 1 billion died of a flu.

Its life Jim but not as we know it.

Home prices: Record drop in October

Median price sinks 3.5 percent from a year earlier, trade group see more price declines ahead.

By Chris Isidore, CNNMoney.com senior writer
November 28 2006: 2:59 PM EST

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The price of existing homes sold in October fell for the third straight month and posted the biggest drop on record, an industry group said Tuesday, adding it expects weakness in pricing to drag on into next year.

The National Association of Realtors said that the median price of a home sold in October was $221,000, the same as in September, but down 3.5 percent from October 2005.

wannago View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2006 at 11:34pm
Ha Ha Kilt we think the same things LOL

However talk of 30,000 cars a day added to the roads in China, global warming and species dying, I reckon we need something to extinguish a few of us parasites off this earth.  Lets face it, with all our intelligence, abilities  and conscience, we're making a mighty fine mess of this earth we call home.  
wannago
Samoa View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2006 at 1:49am
Hear, hear, wanngo.  If it's not the BF, it will be something else.  Exponential human growth can't be sustained, just do the math.  We're losing our Ice Caps, we're losing our Biodiversity.  Did you know that we are living during a Mass Extinction Event?  They call it the Holocene Extinction, and it coincides with the emergence of Homo Sapiens.
wannago View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2006 at 1:35pm
Isn't it amazing that the "intelligent" species is the one causing the most damage?  If animals were destroying the earth due to emissions etc we'd say it was because they don't know what they're doing.  What's our excuse?

One word:

Money

wannago
Just Ducky View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just Ducky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2006 at 4:11pm
    This housing bubble is now unwinding and home prices are falling - traditionaly after a bubble the asset deflates by 80% or more?

Do you mean to say your house loses 80% of it's value? That is so off base I can't even entertain an answer to that. Sorry, that's just not the case. If by "traditionally" you mean the real estate bubble in the late 80's, I believe prices dropped maybe 20% tops.
If we're talking about millions of people dying, that puts a different slant on it. And not your "typical" housing bubble.
Take Care
Doug

Stogieguy View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stogieguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2006 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Kilt Kilt wrote:

This housing bubble is now unwinding and home prices are falling - traditionaly after a bubble the asset deflates by 80% or more. 

Can you cite a source for this statement or is it your opinion?

I don't see any market where real estate prices are dropping 80%.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2006 at 5:20pm
I think what he meant is that houses in a BF situation won't have a value - there will be so many of them just stittin around that you won't be buying them, and selling them, and if you did, you'll probably take a huge hit on it.  I wouldn't think you'd even get 20% of a home value in that situation.  To say an 80% loss is a probable thing.... but that's my opinion.  I'm not a banker.

And I agree with above speculation about the earth and the intelligent species on it.... we've abused it so much, and continue to do so, that I think sooner or later we're going to really screw it up so bad we'll blow ourselves up, poison our water, air, or make a really bad virus that gets released and kills us all.  We're soooo stupid to be sooooo smart.
Linda-ann View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda-ann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2006 at 10:49pm
In Canada the bubble is not bursting In fact the market has gone up 11 percent in the last two months in some areas. Calgary has gone up forty percent

Will there be a housing burst , there always is one and it always corrects /.

If there is one now it will be caused by the pandemic. Then it wont be so simple ,dont forget the majority of the population live in apartment ,condo and when the pandemic hits the last place they want to be is in a buiding. They will purchase houses. Fast.

If you have a house sit tight if not move fast if you beleive the pandemic is almost here.

I would be terrified if I owned a condo in New York but a house in a small town I would feel secure (or at least a little bit safer.).

Plus you have to live somewhere. Selling your house could leave you scrambling for security and privacy and housing. TO be in the position of being a renter if you dont have to be.   

nwprepper View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nwprepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2006 at 12:13pm
Many tears over this subject... Our home has DOUBLED in value since we bought it just 5 years ago - yes, it is WAY inflated in value. 

And values are still going up pretty quickly in our area.

Can't bear the heartbreak of moving - we love our home and our neighborhood. It's been the best 5 years of my life. But it seems like this is the only way to preserve the equity we have gained.

We can barely make the tax payment now - they have skyrocketed along with the value.  In a pandemic we won't be able to afford the taxes.

When TSHTF property values will plummet - we could appeal the tax assessed value... but who wants to be out doing that during a pandemic...

I really really really don't want to sell this house & move to something smaller/cheaper area etc.

But I don't want it sold for taxes either if we can't keep up... Or to owe a $200,000 loan on a house that is suddenly only worth $60,000 instead of $600,000

I read this quote from John Templeton: "After home prices go down to one-tenth of the highest price homeowners paid, then buy." Ouch

Most American's primary investment is our home. What are you all planning to do?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2006 at 2:43pm
We have a great market in my area. We have all read some dire & doom and it may apply somewhere (or some wish it to for whatever reason) but not anywhere close to here. It will be another 4 years before we even have enough homes available with builders buying up every lot or parcel in sight to build. Sure something could change that. But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. I expect we'll run out of land first. The Good Lord is not making anymore of that. Good luck to all.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2006 at 2:51pm
nwprepper,

I assume the nw stands foe the Northwest. I live in the Puget Sound and have seen the same increase in value. One thing to consider is opening an equity line of credit. If you do that you could wait until you know the TSHTF or is about to then cash it out and walk away. You have to be willing to screw the lender over and have a foreclosure on your record though. I have one just in case I get surprised and don't have time to sell. My taxes are ridiculous, too.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2006 at 3:08pm

it's like watching "deal or no deal" you want to beat those poor guys to death that let the emotions get in the way of good judgement.  They get greedy, and go for it, and lose it all.  Rarely do they win.

Don't let your emotions get in the way of your good financial judgement, if your gut is telling you to SELL IT NOW, then that's what you should be doing.  Rarely does the heart come out to be right where money issues are concerned.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2006 at 3:31pm
Good advice 4abbie&maddie,

Every time my gut has told me what to do on an investment it has been right. I just wish I had listened every time.
nwprepper View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nwprepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2006 at 4:30pm
7laws we have gotten a Home Equity Line of credit too - just in case - have not used it. And that is good advice.

Yes, we are in NE Tacoma. I love it here. And you are all correct about the emotions getting in the way... can't help it.

If it gets as bad as we all think it will, thousands will default on consumer and home loans, thousands of homes on the market will drive home prices through the floor, dollar will plummet, gold will soar,  etc. etc.

7laws Have you thought about waiting until "it" starts, then getting a cashiers check for the full LOC, driving to NW Territorial Mint in Auburn & buying gold & "junk silver" bags.

Then we wait a bit, and sell the inflated gold to pay the bills which are in ever declining dollars...

That's a lot better than a forclosure...

Is there a chance we could be denied a check for the full amount for some reason?

Hubby tested it out - ordered a check for $30,000, picked it up that afternoon - It works! (paid it right back off a week later).

Am I nuts for thinking this way? What do you think? Thinking about it sure does stress me out.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2006 at 4:55pm

The thing is, NWprepper, you don't know at what point in this whole thing the banks will close.  Most markets watch the international markets - and vice versa - my husband sits up at night and watches Bloomberg (he's a heavy investor) to know what the Japanese and Asian markets are doing, and many investor's know that swing patterns will hold in US markets and vice versa for US to Asian markets.  If TSHTF internationally and markets start to shift wildly, you don't know if that's the Plunger for the US government to close our banks/stock markets.  The true plan of what they'll be doing in that situation is probably going to be hidden from all of us until it actually happens, because they don't want Mom and Pop to hide the cash in the mattresses and so forth instead of putting it in the bank.

By doing it the way you're thinking (and hoping) to, you're essentially gambling that the banks, and lenders, will still be working normally.  By the time you've read it's hitting you can bet they have too.  They have experts paid to warn them of just such scenarios.
I think many of us are wondering about the cash thing too - how long will cash be available, period?  Credit cards?  Who knows any of it.  But if you've got a doubt, you need to think hard on it, because you're subconscious financial instinct is probably screaming at you that you need to be careful of the plan you've outlined.   Good luck with it all..... take care.  Wink
nwprepper View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nwprepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2006 at 5:14pm
4abbie Wow, sounds like you are really on top of this topic. I'm brand new at financial things & know NOTHING - just brainstorming trying to figure out how to not lose our home...

Maybe you should do some tutoring on here... "remedial financial survival tips for dummies" or something!

It's not really a plan I've outlined - just brainstorming, trying to think outside the box.

I am going to print out your very thoughtful response and digest it. Thanks so much.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2006 at 6:08pm
nwprepper,

I am North of Seattle. It is beautiful here, although the last month has been ugly. I hope you didn't get caught on I-5 in the traffic jam on Sunday.

As far as how best to handle the financial meltdown that will occur there are so many variables and possibilities there will be no exactly right way.

I make my living investing in Real Estate, Stocks etc...  My hedge against the Bird Flu is stock in Biocryst. They are the company that has Peramivir in trials as an antiviral. You have probably seen posts here about it as a possible defence against the Bird Flu. It is the best antiviral out there I have heard but it is still in trials and we can't get our hands on any.

Gold & Silver...hmmm....I wouldn't mind having some available but I wouldn't take as drastic a measure as you are talking about. If you can't pay bills by check or online I don't think you need to worry about paying them at all. I would buy just a little bit here and there. To me it is more important to stock up on food, water, heating, maybe some solar power or something. You know, basics. Canned food and clean water will be more valuable than Gold to most people.

For me it is really not a financial thing, it is about survival. Don't stress out about it. I don't think you will be worried about your financial condition in the heat of a Pandemic. Hope I helped a little. Honestly my post just looks like gibberish if you ask me. If you & your husband are up in the Everett area stop by and say hello. Best of luck.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2006 at 6:17pm
4abbie&maddie,

That is why I think the important thing is the neccesities (food, water, warmth). It is hard for me to remember cash. I have not carried cash for years.
Scott E View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2006 at 6:34pm
Property price movements are self-excited oscillations and every downturn will be twice as severe as it ought to be. The same rules apply to the following upturn.

Housing markets don't crash. They tend to fall by five or six percent per year for about five years, stagnate for at least a year and then rise as fast as they fell.

Whether prices are rising or falling is not the relevent factor. What counts is whether or not you can cover the repayments. If you are a property investor then it might be a good time to reduce your exposure but most of us just need a place to live.
Scotty from temporary location
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2006 at 6:36pm
NWprepper, thanks, I'm not really on top of any of it, I'm just trying to learn as much as I can - cram it all in, go to bed and let it mull around a bit, then cram more in.  I've got the benefit of a zealot drive to read, so I read, read, read a lot - my husband is always watching investments and I read or watch the shows he watches, so it's just sort of leaking in.

Here's my short course:  (Pay attention, there's a pop quiz at the end...) 

Take it slow, take some honest time to look at your finances and look at the total picture of what your goals are.  Where you want to be at the end of next year, then in five years, ten and finally - retirement.  From a financial standpoint, everything that you do starting tomorrow should be geared towards meeting those goals.  That Starbucks coffee is great, but how much better would that money do in other ways?  The extra expenses can be driven into other areas easily if you can target in on where they're being lost at.  Most Americans really have no idea where their money goes.  I've read countless advisor's who have stressed this point: "make a goal, set the plan - then follow the plan."  Without a plan, you're stumbling around trying to react to whatever life throws at you, rather than being on the defensive, act as if you're on the offensive financially.  Getting a tough mindset about your money and where you want to go with it will allow you so much more peace of mind!!! 

I know you said you really like your home, so you've got to make a decision, in your financial goal setting on where that will come in.  Is it in the best interest of you and your family to move?  Now or in five years, in ten?  Would you want to live there forever - is that the home that you can visually see yourself at an old age, retired in?  If the answer is no, you don't think that's where you'll be, then that should be an extra push to get your squared away on the decision to go to where you WANT to be.  The house may be grand, but if it's not on the "path" then get rid of it (while things are still up in your area) and move on down the path.  There are other great houses out there.

I've also taken the goal approach to my pandemic preparedness/prepping.  I have so much set aside to purchase preps with, I stay on target there financially so it's not infringing on other things.  I know if I have a surplus in any given area, that half of that goes into the "saving/paying off" fund, the other half I can buy preps with.  That's my incentive to keep eating out, purchase of unnecessary things to a minimum. 

My preps are my back up financial survival plan.  My attitude is that gold, silver, etc. are good but that long term, it's going to be just that - long term.  My goal is to survive the time period BETWEEN "pandemic has struck" to "recovering as a nation."  I think a lot of folks will make it through the flu, but will lose loved ones due to violence, starvation, etc.  7Laws is right, and that's how I'm looking at it:  necessities first, the rest later.  The reason why most people don't have the minimum of three weeks of food is finances, but they don't realize they're spending that money anyway on junk like cigarettes, magazines, and rental fees at Blockbuster.  it's "there" just not noticed.  And "gone" because they're not on a financial path.

Take care.... and remember we're all learning!!  Thumbs Up
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2006 at 6:45pm
Scott E,
I already sold everything except my personal house in the last year. Lately I can't even get myself to buy a house to flip even though I have seen good deals. I don't want to be the one left holding the bag.
Scott E View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2006 at 7:08pm
7laws: If you are flipping houses then I'm sure that you already know that price movements have almost no effect on annual profits earned. Note that some developers make no profit at all from their efforts and their only real profit comes from house price inflation. For these people a fall in property inflation simply reveals the flaws in their acounting.

If you are flipping houses on a regular basis then you need to differentiate between investment profits and development profits. If you are making a genuine profit from property "development" then price falls should not have any effect upon profits that are derived from added value.

If you add ten percent from your efforts and property falls by fifty percent then you have made a loss of forty percent if you quit and a profit of ten percent if you continue. (The next property you buy will also be fifty percent cheaper.)

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2006 at 7:16pm
Scott E, I am in no hurry to buy any RE right now to flip or as long term investment. I am looking for what I would consider a safe get away but I have not seen anything that fits yet (a nice cabin with solar power in the middle of nowhere is perfect). By the way, I foreclosed on one of those developers that got in over there head a while back.
Scott E View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2006 at 7:34pm
7laws: Sounds like a good move, but where do you find a safe haven for the cash that you have released?

I don't like the markets, bonds, gold or cash. If I had a large wedge and I needed a safe haven for it then I'd go for good quality furtile land with a reliable water supply.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2006 at 10:32pm
Scott E,

I live on a very good water supply. Too many neighbors to call it a safe haven. So I keep looking. There are some options I am considering, but I have some reservations and am having a difficult time deciding. I like where I live and would possibly want to help rebuild here if things went bad. Maybe I would be best just hunkering down here.  As far as investing I will post in the economy section of the forum if you want my opinion.
Scott E View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2006 at 2:29am
7laws: I'm not in that league. I have a small property that is paid for, no debts, no cards. Its a simple life and work is not an essential activity. My spare cash goes into preps.

"Normal" life is something that I prefer to observe from a safe distance but I do think that a lot of people who face the daily treadmill would do well to remember that we are not yet immortal.

If I were an investor then I would probably aim for something boring and dependable at the moment.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2006 at 10:01am
Scott E,

Sounds like you are doing great to me. Not many people are debt free. Keep up the good work.
MississippiMama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MississippiMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2006 at 5:38pm
  7laws it sounds like you  do very well with your flipping.  I also do a little flipping.  Have you ever  used options.  I never sign regular real estate contracts.  I always use options there is really no risk.  the most I've put down on real estate using an option is $10.  The least I've made using my option technique of $10 down is $10,000 the most I've made so far with $10 is $29,500.  Under the option agreement I' not obligated to perform only the seller is.  This is good clean flipping at it's best. 
Mississippi Mama
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2006 at 8:04pm
MississippiMama,

I have considered it but never done one. Around here sellers are pretty savy. Most people know enough about Real Estate that I doubt they would go for an option cheaply. I would be shocked if someone around here sold an option for $10 (my lunch today cost more than that). It is a great way to play Real Estate and can be highly profitable. I have one big problem with it, I am a licensed agent and in this state that means I am held highly accountable for my actions. Pleading ignorance is not an option. If someone complained or sued me claiming that I took advantage of them with an option I would be guilty until proven innocent and would have a hard time proving that I am innocent. It is very tempting though. I am going to look into it more. I will let you know how my research goes. By the way, here the average 3bd, 1bth, 1000 sqft starter home goes for $250K+. I think an option is going to cost atleast $500, probably more.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2006 at 8:20pm
[QUOTE=7laws]MississippiMama,

I  By the way, here the average 3bd, 1bth, 1000 sqft starter home goes for $250K+. I think an option is going to cost atleast $500, probably more.
[/QUOTE

7 laws,,where do you live?  we are in the dc suburbs and starter homes here are in the 400 thousands,,,=0
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2006 at 8:33pm
mom24kidsagain,

Suburbs of Seattle. $250K is the bottom of the barrel. I don't see how first time home buyers can afford it. But prices are still climbing and we have a lack of inventory. At $400K it is not a starter home anymore in my mind. Guess they have to start with a condo. Big cities in CA are ridiculous. I think the same home in LA or San Francisico are over a million. Imagine buying a home for a million right before a disaster (bird flu) and having that home all of sudden worth less than your down payment, ouch!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2006 at 8:41pm
There will be enough empty houses after bird flu that a lot of people will be moving into bigger homes.  Not their own. 

One of the things I fear, as I live in one of those homes.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2006 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by 4abbie&maddie 4abbie&maddie wrote:

There will be enough empty houses after bird flu that a lot of people will be moving into bigger homes.  Not their own. 

One of the things I fear, as I live in one of those homes.

me too!Shocked
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2006 at 11:14pm
I don't think people will want to live in those homes. They will be burned to the ground!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2006 at 11:19pm
nwprepper,

I will be driving by your neck of the woods tomorrow. I am heading to Pacific County to look at some property for my Bird Flu getaway. I will wave as I go through Tacoma on I-5.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2006 at 5:38pm
miss,
i have done options in the stock market. they are called covered calls. i have had a little success, not much.
nwprepper View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nwprepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2006 at 3:12pm
7laws - I would tend to agree with you - I remember reading about "flu houses" that stayed vacant for years and years after the 1918 pandemic.

And also "Imagine buying a home for a million right before a disaster (bird flu) and having that home all of sudden worth less than your down payment, ouch!"

I think that's exactly what's going to happen.

I was a commercial real estate broker in S. California during the S&L crisis. Cheap money was chasing office buildings as an investment - construction was driven by investment demand, not tenant demand.

Then the house of cards collapsed, and overnight, office buildings that were financed based on $140 a square foot were all of a sudden worth less than replacement cost.

Many good, solid real estate owner's entire life savings were vaporized because of circumstances they had nothing to do with. And the S&Ls ended up owning a whole lot of worthless office buildings. Then they went under and guess who was left holding the bag?

In our society we have short memories and just don't think these kinds of things are possible.

I have a friend who just bought a house with an "interest only" loan.

Loans are so cheap and easily available that people are buying way more house than they can afford. And as Kilt mentioned, there has been a lot of investment demand. 

Anyway, hope you found a great getaway! We bought ours on Anderson Island.
Just Ducky View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just Ducky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2006 at 6:29pm
    NW Prepper
Tell me more about Anderson sland. Do you live near and were familiar with it? What size lot was it? Is it a house you bought? Just curious
Take Care
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2006 at 11:04pm
nwprepper,

Here is my dilemna. My family owns property where I was looking. They have land I could build on or even a guest house that I could equip. It is very rural, great location. My grandma lives on the particular property that has the guest houses. These places are perfect. The land I would buy from grandma is almost perfect but... My grandma says she is not concerned about the Bird Flu. She says she has lived a long good life and is not going to change what she does if there is an outbreak. I don't know if the rest of my family there are going to listen either. I am the one at the age that it is the most dangerous for. It is her life and I understand but the one she would be putting at risk is me! Basically, will my family listen and not go out when I say? I don't know. I want to be with my family, but that could be a death sentence. I guess I just have to talk to them and try to get a straight answer. Wouldn't it be a bugger to get a place set up and be ready to sit it out for a year or two only to have your own family bring the Bird Flu to your home.
Scott E View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2006 at 1:49am
7laws: My remaining family do not believe in making any sort of preparation for a possible pandemic. I could not afford the time, space or cash to do this for them. I have therefore taken the only action available to me and moved away from the area in which they live.

I hope that they survive but in the worst case scenario I cannot help them by electing to die with them.
Scott E View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2006 at 4:48am
I own my house and I have $10 in my wallet. My house is suddenly worthless but I spend my $10 buying a second house next door and let it to a tenant for 5 cents a month. Its not going to happen is it?

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2006 at 9:16am
Scott E,

Thanks for the response. It is stressful and difficult making these decisions now. It will be even more stressful down the road.
nwprepper View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nwprepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2006 at 11:34am
7laws what we are doing is building a place no one knows about. It's on an island. When it hits we plan to just disappear.

The one variable is hubby's daughter from a previous marriage. She is dearly loved but ADD and flaky as they come. Don't think she will listen to us and bug out.

My worry is that she won't listen to us, then when everybody around starts dropping, she'll want to come live with us.

So I have told hubby that we have to prepare for this - my idea was to have a trailer as an isolation room, setup with food & provisions for 2 weeks.

She is so hyper & irresponsible and would drive me *crazy* to live with, but she is family and we do love her.

If our place weren't on an island, there is no way I would trust her to not sneak out. She is EXTREMELY social.

If she did, back to the trailer... unless she did it in the middle of the night without our knowledge, then we are really screwed...

Your quarantine is only as good as the flakiest one involved. Here are a couple other threads that have explored this issue:

Happycamper has 3 campers for quarantining - that's where I got the camper idea:  Family member that didn't prep

Thoughts On Disaster Survival -MUST READ!

Divorce and custody issues: trouble

nwprepper View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nwprepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2006 at 11:45am
Ducky it's a terribly small lot - we couldn't find anything larger that 1/4 acre. All the lots are tiny there. But the island has kind of a rural mayberry feel to it. Only accessible by ferry, and the ferry costs $20 so will be a deterrent, as opposed to our current neighborhood that is 10 minutes from thecove apartments

The island is not ideal by any stretch of the imagination. I would much prefer 10 acres in the middle of nowhere. But hubby just wouldn't go for it.
Evergreen View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evergreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2006 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by nwprepper nwprepper wrote:

I have a friend who just bought a house with an "interest only" loan.

Loans are so cheap and easily available that people are buying way more
house than they can afford. And as Kilt mentioned, there has been a lot
of investment demand. 

nwprepper Greetings! I live between Seattle and Tacoma. Houses here BEGIN @ 250K and "interest only" loans are almost the only way to get in for most people. I say go ahead and get the interest only loan with a well-chosen (bird flu ready) house. When other parts of the country have experienced downturns, the NW has maintained and often increased home appreciation. Conservative estimates are 10%/yr for this area; try getting that in any other safe investment. I don't think this area will experience mentionable depreciation overall. We'll ride it out like we've always done, except for the Boeing crunch in the 70's. And even then, the last person out did not turn out the light. Actually, with the reverse mortgage and equity loans, your home gives you more than a place to live. We'll all need a base of operations and community support. Better to choose where that is and get settled now before TSHTF. Do you really want to live in an apartment or condo then? Too many "close" neighbors for my liking. For good or for bad, the Pacific NW has been a safe haven for decades. We'll just have to sidestep the Seattle Fault and Mt.Rainier. D
235365 - Energy follows thought.   As you think, so you are.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic