Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Bird flu spreading.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bird flu spreading.
    Posted: December 04 2006 at 10:58pm
I'm not sure where this should be posted, but I hope this is the place. I went to my doctors today for a check-up and the subject of bird flu was mentioned. When I asked if he'd heard anything he looked really upset and told us that he's worried and that the BF is spreading quickly. He also gave my husband a supply of Tamiflu. Don't know what to make of the news, but it did scare me somewhat.

God bless. Jo
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2006 at 11:24pm
Did your husband ask for the Tamiflu? What state are you in?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2006 at 11:32pm
We're from PA. No , he didn't ask for the Tamiflu, the doctor just went and got it for him.

God bless. Jo
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2006 at 11:37pm
Wow, that is strange that he would volunteer it. The doctor must be very concerned.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2006 at 11:39pm
He did seem really concerned and upset.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2006 at 11:42pm
I am concerned. But imagine the stress and pressure of being a doctor and knowing that a pandemic may be just around the corner. I don't know what I would do.
Shadow View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2006 at 12:29am
Did your Doc. say anything else? What did you all say on the subject?
Don't run from your past, learn from it!
roxy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2006 at 6:09am

Grammajo,thanks for the info,  roxy

containment View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote containment Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2006 at 6:17am
There is no indication of BF yet in America. Was your DR. wearing a mask.. Namomask? Call the CDC and tell them what has happened to you,and ask for an opinion. This makes no sense??WOW.. This sounds scarry......
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote containment Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2006 at 6:24am
Another question? Did the doctor take a blood sample?
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote containment Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2006 at 6:30am
Another note.. Your DR. sounds paranoid.. Seasonal flu looks alot like BF, and they do treat seasonal flu with Tamiflu,and relenza.. I dont think you have anything to worry about. If the BF has morphed,mutated into a Human form. Im sure your DR. wouldnt be the first to know. It is inevitable its coming to the USA,I dont think its here yet,and we will get some warning. Then it will be USA shut down completely.. Youll be staying home for along time...
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2006 at 8:15am
Originally posted by grammajo grammajo wrote:

I'm not sure where this should be posted, but I hope this is the place. I went to my doctors today for a check-up and the subject of bird flu was mentioned. When I asked if he'd heard anything he looked really upset and told us that he's worried and that the BF is spreading quickly. He also gave my husband a supply of Tamiflu. Don't know what to make of the news, but it did scare me somewhat.

God bless. Jo

Did he really use the present tense when talking about BF spreading?

Betty View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Betty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2006 at 1:46pm
Containment, the doctor doesn't have to be paranoid.  Maybe he meant that it is spreading fast overseas, not in the U.S.  If that's the case, that's exactly when we would want to know about it...before it gets here.  I personally would like to know when it starts "spreading h2h" overseas; as soon as it starts.  If we wait until it reaches here in the U.S. before we, for example, start wearing our masks, then it will be too late and the prepping would be wasted, right?

KP
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2006 at 6:19pm
We weren't at the doctor for my husband. It was just for a regular check-up for myself. We've been discussing it for months and when I asked if he'd heard anything new he said about it spreading and got the Tamiflu for my husband. Since I have bronchial asthma I guess I'm one of the ones who will get the meds if there's enough. I did get the pnemonia shot though. He did seem really worried to the both of us. We didn't have enough time to say more because he had other patients waiting. If I can find out more from him I'll post it here.

God bless. Jo
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2006 at 6:24pm
Mach
He did indeed use the present tense. His words were that "it's spreading very rapidly."

God bless. Jo
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2006 at 10:35pm
Wow,  thats odd !!!!!!!

A few months ago I went to my Doc for a new prescription for high
blood pressure and I ax'ed him about the BF.

He just snickered and said   "stay away from chickens".

Then he snorted kinda like Boris Badinoff.

I think I should get a new Doc.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2006 at 1:17am
hahahaha

hes in denial

axe him for sure
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2006 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by grammajo grammajo wrote:

Mach
He did indeed use the present tense. His words were that "it's spreading very rapidly."

God bless. Jo

wish I knew where is is getting his information. It sounds like he thinks or is being told it's a pandemic already.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2006 at 7:57pm
I hope he was referring to regular seasonal flu not H5N1. It (regular seasonal flu's) are spreading fast in my state.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2006 at 10:21pm
I wouldn't think he would give out Tamiflu for the regular flu just in case. He is probably talking about the spread in birds and is worried the jump to H2H is going to happen.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2006 at 10:59pm
Last month I went to the doctors on a check-up. I asked for the flu-shot and the Pneumonia shot. He would only give me the flu-shot and said I didn't need a pheumonia shot till 60, I'm 52. On a follow-up a few days ago I mentioned the pheumonia-shot and he readily said he'd give me one. This is a complete about face. He also gave me a prescription for Tamiflu a few months back. He seems to be very knowledgable about the Bird Flu. Just very odd of him to change his mind.
Linda-ann View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda-ann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2006 at 1:15am
My doctor is also concerned about the birdflu and has advised me to take care of my health now. He also told me to get the flu shot as it might help with the avain flu no guaranties though.
Shadow View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2006 at 1:26am
That's it, I'm making an appointment with my Doc. In the spring I asked for extra med's incase the Bird Flu does hit and he told me that the bird flu wasn't in Canada yet ( so that was a no on the Med's). Now I wonder if he's singing a different tune....
Don't run from your past, learn from it!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2006 at 10:45am
I am going to go see my Dr. soon, so far none of them, think this will be a problem in America. They have all said, third world countries will have a problem, yet, we have read in the paper that they have had drills. It almost seems as if they are involved in a bit of a cover up here locally. My pharmacist said, dont worry, we have more tamiflu then we know what to do with. I talked to a bio chemist, and he said to worry more about catching a cold. He said that the mutations would have to be very specific to get sustained H2H contamination, he also said that it would have to go airborne, be able to effect the upper part of the lung, and live on inanamate surfaces. Just thought I would pass it on.  PS I dont believe a bit of what they are saying. Thats just the general attitude here.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2006 at 12:19pm
Right.... I agree,however the Doctor needed not worry about BF now..He also scared his client... Prescribing Tamiflu.."The bird flu drug",With a worried look?
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2006 at 5:27pm
With that is said above,it could be scary. But what I would like to know is where did the doctor get samples of Tamiflu? I am also a doctor and I have not seen a sample ot Tamiflu or Relenza in at least 2 years and maybe 3years. It has been a long time, The company rep''s told me that they had stopped sampleing it. Johnray1
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2006 at 5:43pm
Johnray1, my DH is a doctor and yes, there are samples of Tamiflu out now.  About two weeks ago they found this out.....The rep that came in asked him if he wanted any, and he was like, "ARE YOU KIDDING?????"  He told her there wasn't really a need for her to push Tamiflu, she shrugged and said, "It's hit and miss, with that one." 

I can tell you that my DH and I talk shop a lot, I can calm your fears that there's an inside loop of info on the prevalence or spread of BF.  What you're most likely seeing in your doctor's stances if they've suddenly done an about face is EDUCATION.  Many hospitals are requiring their admitting physicians and staff to attend rotating education seminars on BF.  Not kidding.  They walk in snorting like Boris Badinoff and walk out white as a sheet and scared to death.  In short, they are going through the same "OH ****" mental adjustment that we've all gone through at one time or another, except for them, it really is a scary prospect because on a professional basis the intervention they can provide is minimal, the care will be completely unsatisfacotry and they know it.  Plus, on a personal level it's an awful knowledge to know you're suddenly made captain of the Titanic.  You can see the iceburg looming, but the captain must go with the ship.

If you haven't seen your doc in a while, do approach them again.  If you're snorted at, seek out a doc that's part of a hospital run practice, as they may be more educated on the subject.

Take care.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2006 at 8:05pm
I think the docs are scared too because they know they'll be on the front line while their families are trying to cope on their own.

God bless. Jo
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic