Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Information Clutter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Information Clutter
    Posted: February 09 2006 at 4:54pm

Please try to keep all news items referring to one area or occurrence in ONE thread.  We don't need 15 threads about Nigeria, when it could all be combined into one, nice, neat, easy to track thread.

This way we have a nice neat flowing history of how things are playing out instead of having to bounce around trying to decipher its evolution.

drpepper View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drpepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 5:18pm
thought this was breaking news from top (being newest?????) is there a way for a post and several thread titles to show?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 5:32pm

Dr P... I'm sorry.... I'm not sure what you are asking. 

I posted a sticky because I found five threads dealing with Nigeria.  I think we should be a bit more organized in our presentation, but that's just me.  Maybe Rick could take a poll. 

A while ago, another member and I had this debate... individual posts are easy to see new developments in, but you loose the continuity.  Combined threads keep the continuity but breaking information and new developments are not always immediately obvious.

It's up to Rick how he wants to work the room in the end.  I should have checked with him before I posted my sticky... sorry, old habits die hard.

Spoon View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 5:42pm

I saw something earlier about a new forum where info is separated by region.  Maybe we can use this configuration with the Latest News.

• China
  • Indonesia
  • Africa
  • Turkey
  • Greece
  • Etc.

That way, The area with the latest news will rise to the top.

It's not so much the apocalypse... but the credit card bills ;-)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 5:59pm

Well, I like it..... but we will have Rick weigh in and maybe others.

drpepper View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drpepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 6:01pm
wasnt finding fault........lol
i was saying under each heading
  • China
  • Indonesia
  • Africa
  • Turkey
  • Greece
  • Etc.

there could be subheadings ie
  • China
  1. 35 quarantined
  2. 5 birds confirmed
  • Indonesia
  • Africa
  • Turkey
  • Greece
  • Etc.
blah et al just a formatting suggestion...makes it easier to sort tghrough the info.

thats all.......
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 6:08pm
Sorry, subheadings aren't possible unless each area is granted its own room.  Something I'm not opposed to as it heats up, but I will leave it the the will of the board.  I always lean to the easiest way to find information, but I know that what I like may not be what most want.
stardust View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stardust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 6:15pm
I like Spoon's idea of separating by countries.
"Prepping is Power"!
Spoon View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 6:27pm
cisco View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 6:46pm

I don't know about anyone else, but I am having one heck of a time just trying to keep up with everything.  I would love to check each topic several times a day but the amont of information is becoming overwhelming.  There are not enough hours in a day to digest all of this information.  Personally, I would prefer to to to: http://www.newsnow.co.uk/newsfeed/?name=Bird+Flu and read about outbreaks in other countries.  I don't know who posted this site the other night, but it is a fantastic link, and the most up-to-date I've seen. There really isn't any need for us to post individual articles about other countries if we go to the link above for that information.

What do you think?

I agree with Sophia, and quite honestly, I don't know how she keeps up with all of this - she's incredible!

Cisco

let's hang tight, tough, and together!
elbows View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 6:53pm
Thanks for this thread SophiaZoe.

Ive only been here a few days but was already thinking about leaving tonight, as this place starting to rank poorly in terms of clarity of discussion, news, information.

Its not just multiple threads on the same news, its news relating to other regions (which has alread been posted) being posted to other existing threads for no sensible reason that I can fathom.

Im starting to think that some people want to hype things up, I dont understand why, theres enough real bad news around, theres no need to make things seem even worse than they really are. I dont know if its panic setting in or whether people enjoy being scared or what, but it reduced the effectiveness and aims of this place in my opinion.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 7:04pm

Elbows, I think it's just growing pains.  We have experienced a growth over the last two weeks that saw a 50% increase in new members.  Plus we have just implemented a new style of board management so everyone is still getting their feet wet.

I would hope that you give us a chance to get through some adjustments before you give up on us.  But if not, I understand and I thank you for what you have given us.

SZ

elbows View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 7:16pm
I wont give up that easily, I was just glad I wasnt the only one who thought things were a bit messy. Ive no idea about the history of this place so I dont want to pretend Im fit to judge really, nor offend any of the people that are putting in time to make this a useful resource.

Its partly my own fault for reading every single post as they appear!

My own personal opinion (feel free to disregard it) is that there should be one thread per newsworthy event, not a new thread for every news article (as many articles covering the same thing will appear each day). If there is not supposed to be any actual debate/discussion about the news items here, then yu could go even further, it would be possible to have one thread per country, and add new items about each country to the appropriate existing thread as they arrive.

Edited by elbows
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 7:25pm

Well, Admin just created new "Breaking News" rooms by area... I am still waiting to see how he feels these should be managed.

It's not that you aren't allowed to comment on news items, it's just that I generally don't unless it's relevant to the news... my post was pure babble and so I qualified it.  Sorry for the confusion. 

I think it's immanently helpful to talk through the implications of the latest news.  It helps us understand what's going on.  So many times others will pick up on something that I totally missed.

I know what you mean about reading every single post... I had to give that up a while ago, ergo the new moderator structure.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 8:32pm
Regarding Information Clutter

I would like to suggest that the newsnow link be communicated to
everyone. NewsNow is superior to Google. It will give everyone a sense of
empowerment, something I think a few folks could use right about now.

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/newsfeed/?name=Bird+Flu

I like the idea of country folders. Since the material will be posted in a
chronological order, this will avoid duplication as well as provide a better
narrative as the situation unfolds.

When the pandemic lands in North America, these folders can be
consolidated and folders representing geographic areas in North America
can be used, eg, U.S. Canada, or something more specific.

Topics dealing with day-to-day issues and coping strategies economics,
health, security will take on every increasing importance for everyone.
The information posted will be a valuable resource and reference. There
is a wealth of knowledge out waiting to be shared.

Ultimately people want to know how can I get through this? Specific topic
folders can address this. Other folders dealing with psychological or
professional issues can be created. My 2-cents. This will free up
everyone's time.

--------

It's clear that there will not be a quick scientific fix to the problem.

Since the virus can't be defeated, the only recourse is to determine how to
survive it, in the absence of a vaccine. So, is there any therapeutic
entity(s) that can decrease the deaths from a Cytokine Storm?

Realistically, I think so, I intend to find out.

I once played chess against a friend who was impossible to beat, he was
just too powerful. I didn't give up, I studied and reflected on each defeat
until I found a weakness, one that I used to beat him every time.
That lesson has served me well. By the way, my friend no longer plays
with me.

That's all my pea-sized brain can handle for tonight.

Edited by Rick
stardust View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stardust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2006 at 8:41am
Love the newsnow Link.
"Prepping is Power"!
Spoon View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2006 at 8:43am
It's my new home page... replacing google.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic