Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Med question about the quick H5N1 test

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kparcell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Med question about the quick H5N1 test
    Posted: January 16 2007 at 8:35am
Hi all

My concern in posting this is that it seems reasonable to me to suppose that isolating H5N1 infections from seasonal flu infections is a good aim, especially as we hope for a while longer to prepare and so want to keep these viruses from fooling around. We always hear about a quick test that's used on fowl that doesn't discriminate between low path and high path avian influenza. I wonder if this test is available for use at admittance in hospitals and clinics?
kparcell View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kparcell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 3:06am
still looking for some info on use of test
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 8:38am
kparcell, I don't have an answer but am bumping this back up hoping someone who can will answer your question.
I also have questions on how the recommended way to test for H5N1 varies between one goverment document and another.
Good luck.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 2:05pm
I have no idea. I'll ask my DH when I see him next.
gnfin View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnfin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2007 at 5:13pm
Good idea?
gnfin View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnfin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2007 at 7:58pm
Quick test..
kparcell View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kparcell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2007 at 8:37pm
H5N1 clusters are familial, suggesting an unrecognized genetic component. Such a mechanism could account for why the Spanish Flu suddenly disappeared: It reached most susceptible. So, shouldn't our prep plan include non-family care for the sick? Isn't holing up with the family the wrong approach?

A quick test at "flu centers" could separate H5N1 from seasonal flu and send seasonal flu home, keeping H5N1 suspects isolated from more contagious viruses and from family.

kparcell View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kparcell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2007 at 5:50am
still seek comments:

can we use quick test in triage to isolate H5N1 from seasonal flu?

and do familial clusters suggest that it's better NOT caring for infected relatives?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic