Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

New outbreak of bird flu in Vietnam now?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnfin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New outbreak of bird flu in Vietnam now?
    Posted: March 01 2007 at 9:12pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2007 at 10:13pm
gnfin,

I just wanted to apologize about giving you a hard time about the stock posts a while back. I hope you accept my apology.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2007 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by gnfin gnfin wrote:

http://www.focus-fen.net/index.php?id=n106922

Posting for gnfin

Bird flu found in Vietnam ducks
2 March 2007 | 05:55 | FOCUS News Agency
Hanoi. Vietnam on Friday said bird flu had struck a flock of ducks in the Mekong delta, just a day after the country lifted a ban on hatching waterfowl that was imposed in 2005, AFP reported.
The virus attacked 800 unvaccinated ducks that were 45 days old -- among the millions of waterfowl that were bred despite the ban -- in the Tra On district of Vinh Long province, the national animal health department said.
All the ducks were slaughtered after testing positive for the H5N1 virus.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2007 at 11:45pm

Vietnam recorded 93 human cases between 2003 and 2005, and has reported 2,369 outbreaks in poultry, about 1,200 more than any other country. About 50 outbreaks occurred this year, according to the World Organization for Animal Health's records.

Bird Flu in Vietnam Shows Struggle to Control Virus (Update1)

By Nguyen Dieu Tu Uyen

March 2 (Bloomberg) -- Bird flu resurfaced in poultry in southern Vietnam, two weeks after veterinary officials declared the end of an outbreak there, highlighting the country's struggle to eradicate the lethal virus.

The H5N1 avian-influenza strain was confirmed in a flock of ducks in Vinh Long, one of eight provinces in Vietnam's southern Mekong Delta region to report fresh outbreaks since December, said Bui Quang Anh, head of Vietnam's Animal Health Department. Earlier this week, it was confirmed in a northern region near the capital, Hanoi.

Disease poultry increase the risk of human infection and provide chances for the virus to mutate into a form capable of spreading as easily among humans as seasonal flu. Nigeria and Laos found human cases last month, taking the number of nations to have reported human cases worldwide to 12. This week Kuwait became the 56th country to record an outbreak since 2003.

``I'm not surprised'' at the new outbreaks, said Kennedy Shortridge, emeritus professor at the University of Hong Kong, whose surveillance of flu viruses in Southern China helped identify the first H5N1 outbreaks in poultry in the late 1990s. ``One suspects it will spread further. The main thing is that people are alert to it now. There is a quick reaction to tackle it.''

At least 167 of the 277 people known to have been infected with the H5N1 virus 2003 have died, according to the World Health Organization. Millions could die if H5N1 starts spreading easily among people, sparking a worldwide outbreak, or pandemic.

Vietnam recorded 93 human cases between 2003 and 2005, and has reported 2,369 outbreaks in poultry, about 1,200 more than any other country. About 50 outbreaks occurred this year, according to the World Organization for Animal Health's records.

Recalcitrant Farmers

Vietnamese authorities blame the fresh outbreaks on farmers who have failed to comply with regulations requiring poultry to be vaccinated against the disease.

The latest outbreak, which began Feb. 25 in Vinh Long's Tra On district, occurred in a flock of 800 45-day-old ducks, none of which had been vaccinated, the Animal Health Department said in a statement on its Web site yesterday.

The lifting of a ban on hatching ducklings this month may provide more opportunities for birds to go unvaccinated, Anh said.

``We may see more bird flu outbreaks in the next few months,'' he said. ``The question now is how to make sure farmers will have their birds vaccinated properly?''

The Animal Health Department ordered provincial authorities to prepare for a comprehensive anti-bird flu vaccination campaign in the coming weeks, according to the report.

Vietnam borders China, which reported its 23rd human H5N1 case yesterday, and Laos, which had its first case last month. In Myanmar, which neighbors Laos to the northwest, 68 domestic fowl died of H5N1 on a farm in Yangon, Rangoon province, the government said in a Feb. 28 report.

The infection may have been introduced by infected native crows and sparrows, the Xinhua News Agency said today, citing officials at Myanmar's Livestock Breeding and Veterinary Department. wild birds often entered farm buildings through damaged walls and mingled with ducks raised in nearby ponds, Xinhua reported.

To contact the reporter on this story: Nguyen Dieu Tu Uyen in Hanoi at ungunguyen1oomberg.net

Last Updated: March 2, 2007 01:37 EST http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601100&sid=aH4.aXfZXqcs&refer=germany

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2007 at 12:23am
Hi have you visited http://maps.maplecroft.com/loadmap?template=map&issueID=55       lately??

They have good maps etc and
                                                   The Avian Influenza Risk Index { AIRI }

Vietnam is the winner top of the list   ...... Check your country's rateing ....
gnfin View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnfin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2007 at 1:33pm
If your sincere I truly will..Thats the Christlike way,and the only way! Thankyou very much I appreciate it.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2007 at 6:43pm
gnfin,

I am very sincere. Thanks for accepting.
gnfin View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnfin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2007 at 9:07pm
Your welcome..
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2007 at 3:39am

» Read full article

Fight vs. bird flu hobbled
The Manila Times HANOI: Bird flu is on the march again across Asia as winter ends, but the battle against the killer virus is being hobbled by stark differences between the region's diverse countries, health experts warn. While Vietnam and Thailand have been hailed as poster adverts in the fight against avian influenza, new cases in hotspot Indonesia and population giant China have highlighted concerns the disease will be hard to stamp out. Many Asian nations have learned much since the H5N1 strain erupted here in 2003, spreading as far as Europe and Africa last year, but gaps remain and the threat of a pandemic remains real, epidemiologists say. New human infections...

Click here to read more »

http://article.wn.com/view/2007/03/02/Fight_vs_bird_flu_hobbled
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic