Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Families Protest Ban On Backyard Chickens

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick&Elisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Families Protest Ban On Backyard Chickens
    Posted: February 13 2006 at 7:04am

Attitudes and Actions like this will be the downfall of us all!!!

Families Protest Ban On Backyard Chickens
by UPI Wire
Feb 13, 2006

HONG KONG, Feb. 13, 2006 (UPI) -- Amid strong local resistance, a ban on raising poultry in backyard pens went into effect Monday in Hong Kong, in an effort to prevent a bird flu outbreak.

The government announced Friday that fines of around $6,000 to $12,000 would be levied on households that refused to surrender their chickens, ducks, geese, pigeons or quail.

Teams of officials from the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department were to round up the offending poultry starting Monday.

Family farmers in outlying areas of Hong Kong traditionally have kept poultry in their backyards. Many complained that the government was destroying their way of life in removing the poultry, which they raise for their eggs and meat.

Some families said they would hide their birds, and others said they planned to free them, especially pigeons, before agriculture officials could catch them, the South China Morning Post reported.

Several wild birds and a few chickens have been found dead of the H5N1 virus in Hong Kong in recent weeks. No humans have contracted the disease, however.

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 8:01am

I understand that rasing their own chickens is some people's only source of income....but cmon!!!! What good would any money be to you if you are suffering from BF? People really need to get their priorities straight!!!

Better to be safe than sorry....
sweets View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 9:17am

This is the way over there. The village heads are up in arms as no compensation is being offered for the birds!

I lived there for 13 years and will tell you that if the government agreed to compensation the birds would be given up without much fight.

The head of each village usually has his own chicken coop. It is a matter of pride. My village head had theres and was there everyday.

The goverment would get alot farther with honey Respecting there positions and paying out than this type of ban.

It's hard for us to understand this point in a different culture ,but you would think the government would try this way to get it done as soon as possible!

When they did poultry culls before they did compensate and I think they should do it now. Just so it gets done!!!

Just my humble opinion!!!

Also until the time comes that HK closes it's border with China the chance remains high of a horrible outbreak

I'm not a ribbering Jidiot!
www.exaltedshrimp.com
walkdog View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walkdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 10:02am
Let's hope it doesn't take the death of their children to change the culture.  Backyard raising of birds should be banned Internationally.  If that's a culture shock, so be it.

Edited by walkdog
walkdog
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 10:12am
If they want to get thier birds, they should first have declared clean by testing, and then keep them inside the chicken house, never letting them out again,.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 10:39am

When this first hit China they called it  fu sheet  Suddenly out of nowhere the who taking a interest in what they do. 

They are taking the attititude that bf is some world heath problem that dosent concern them  and that the world is insensitive to their current problems.

extreme  poverty,

illness

political unrest

You cant really take away their livelyhood without compenstion.  The truth is we have only ever before taken a mild interest in the issue of worldwide poverty and now the see us as giving them new rules, no money and media attention  their for just the way they live their lives

That why they call it  fu sheet 

We are going to experience alot more of flu sheet 

Edited by RBARNES55
Ella Fitzgerald View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ella Fitzgerald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 11:19am

Show those poor people the money!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 11:25am

I can only imagine the uproar if the US bans keeping pigeons (flying clubs). How do you think the law makers will respond to the ducks and geese that make their home in most every city park? What about seagulls? It just seems like it's a large issue that hasn't been discussed at the Government level.

Makes ya think. 

sweets View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 11:41am

Yes in Hk they do need to show the people the money! My only other thought is if they rewarded and praised the people that turned in there birds that could also work. 

People would then feel pride in complying which could also work in that asian culture.

Please note I am referring to the HK situation only!

www.exaltedshrimp.com
Fiddlerdave View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlerdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 1:01pm
I have much sympathy for the villagers. Given the choice between STARVING NOW or the possibility of getting BF later, most people will choose the latter.  I am curious in anticipation to see the tremendous political pressure and disinformation campaigns that will be put forth by corporations who will lose some money if their poultry operations have to be culled or stopped (even with the insurance they probably have).  They are just looking at the loss of some profit, much less dire than watching your family eat roots or bugs attemting to get some protein.
Dave
"Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for us"!
sweets View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 2:10pm

HK update From SCMP English HK Newspaper

The Confiscation has started in Hk The birds are being taken and put down. Most people are turning them in as they dont want the fines.

The Government is hiring PT vets to help with the situation and The government will consider expanding the ban on backyard poultry to four other species, turkeys, pheasants, partridges and silky chickens - a bantam variety often kept for ornamental purposes, and found with H5N1 in the past.

also they are pushing hard to put a ban on all poultry at markets. Instead having a central facility to handle any chicken slaughter . This has been in the works for awhile but has had alot of people up in arms as culturely a freshly killed  chicken has the best flavor. 

I am not putting complete articles here only because it is a Subscrition service and copywrited I don't need any trouble. If anyone wants they can subscribe for a year for about 55.00.

www.exaltedshrimp.com
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 7:59pm

All,

Thought you might like to see this article about eating dead birds:

ABUJA — The deadly H5N1 bird flu spread in Nigeria yesterday and authorities trying to prevent any human infections said it was proving difficult to persuade people not to eat dead poultry as they were too impoverished to throw it away.
In the European Union, where H5N1 was confirmed in wild birds for the first time at the weekend, Greece was testing one man for possible bird flu and other countries reported a sharp fall in poultry sales.
 Most Nigerians are unaware of bird flu and many have been handling sick and dead birds.
"I have been in the field and they say, ‘What are you telling us? We eat dead chickens and we have been doing that for centuries’," said the official in charge of efforts to prevent bird flu from spreading to humans in Nigeria.      (Reuters)

KatDoe67 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatDoe67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 5:31am

We had a recent artice here about starvation being a risk bigger than coming down with the flu :-(

As always the rich will hurt the poor, while trying to make their own lives safer and more comfortable.

At this point killing birds is pretty much like trying to put out a forest fire with a squirt gun. If bird flu is going to turn pandemic, it's already too late to stop it. And even if we DID stop it, a different disease will cull humans at some point.

We need to make sure we are not causing malnutrition NOW, in a vain attempt to try and stop a maybe or something we cannot stop.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic