Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

California Fires

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: California Fires
    Posted: October 22 2007 at 4:58pm
Sure is a hot and windy day here in Southern California.   We may be digging a trench around our hosting company soon lol.  

If anyone is in Southern Cal, we wish you the best.   Let us know if we have to send out the AFT rescue teams.   Wink

Hotair View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2007 at 5:21pm
Hi Albert.
I have been watching the inferno all day. What's worse, my husband is on his way down to San Diego for work. Good luck with that! The news said that the wind will be worse tomorrow then today. Poor poor people and animals.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2007 at 5:35pm
Hello Hotair, San Diego is not a good place to be.   They evacuated nearly 15,000 as of noon today.   

We're between the San Diego and Malibu fires, near the Irvine & Lake Forest fires.   The sky is nothing but one huge plume of smoke. 

jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2007 at 8:57pm
   I'm sitting down here in San Diego about 8 miles from the leading edge of the Harris fire (20,000 acres and growing) nervously watching the news. The mandatory evacuations are incredible - 250,000 last I heard and more being issued every hour. There wasn't much traffic on the roads when I came home from work, but a good proportion of the vehicles out there were loaded up with belongings and heading west. The smoke plume from the Harris fire looks like a volcanic eruption. You have to see it to appreciate it.
   I've started quietly moving things into the motorhome (I don't want to freak my kid out) just in case. The winds are brutal out on the fire line at the moment and it's carrying embers up to a mile and a half. I don't envy the firefighters, but I do admire the hell out of them.
   One of my coworkers got word this afternoon that her house in Ramona is a total loss. You can watch it on TV, but when someone you know loses everything and you see the look of pain on their face, it really brings it home.
   The 5 freeway is now the only way in and out of San Diego unless you head across the border and they predict if the winds don't change the fire will reach the coast soon and we'll be cut off I guess. To everybody else in San Diego and Malibu (and anywhere else that's having to deal with this), good luck and please stay safe.

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2007 at 4:31am
The fires are still going strong.  700 houses gone, 500 of them in San Diego.  168 businesses are also destroyed with 265,000 people now evacuated.   The smell of smoke is something that you really don't get used to throughout the night.  Although you can smell smoke everywhere, you really have no idea how close the fires are. 

coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2007 at 5:11am
Albert, scary situation over there. My best to you and everyone else in southern Cal. Be safe.. Coyote
Long time lurker since day one to Member.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2007 at 12:21pm
"Although you can smell smoke everywhere, you really have no idea how close the fires are."

Absolutely right, Albert. The Harris fire is now at the foot of Mt. Miguel maybe 5 miles from us and you can't see a thing for the haze in the air. It's not as thick as the Cedar fire - that turned the sky black for days - but it's still making it hard to see very far. My throat is sore and my eyes are stinging, but it looks as though the helicopter water drops that began this morning are making a difference down here. Still more evacuations during the night and this morning though. I feel so bad for the people that lost everything. The in-laws are out of town so we just went over to their place and grabbed their computer, photo albums and some documents just in case. How is it up there, Albert?
Evergreen View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evergreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2007 at 12:55pm
Albert, jackdad,& Hotair, I am so sorry for what you are going through. I hope you can maintain yourselves and your family. Maybe you should get out of Dodge. Most everything can be replaced except photos and animals. Please be safe and try to save as many animals as you can. I pray for your protection. D

ps:   anyone know a realtime satellite URL I can view from here?

235365 - Energy follows thought.   As you think, so you are.
Evergreen View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evergreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2007 at 1:39pm
God bless every one. I found this:
Live NBC stream from San Diego, CA   click on the arrow button to start stream.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/videostream/11724377/detail.html
Hotair View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2007 at 1:58pm
They are talking about possibly deploying CERT team members to assist with the animal situation. I am not sure I will be able to go but want to.
PrepGirl View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrepGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2007 at 1:58pm
    Albert and everyone in the path of those fires I wish you all safety, and hope it all works out for the best for you. Very scarry situation. My heart goes out to you.
   Just a thought I hope your all trying to hose down your houses if you close to the fire. Those ambers can travel in the wind for miles I think. My dad was a fire fighter and he use to hose our house down when there was a fire to close to home.

God bless you all
PrepGirl
PrepGirl View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrepGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2007 at 2:22pm
    LIVE STREAM: Watch Coverage
MAP: Fire Locations, Information
YOUR PHOTOS: Updated 10 a.m.
MORE: Evacuations and Closures
MORE: Southland School Closures (10/23/07)
MORE: Chargers Among Evacuees (10/22/07)

GO TO
ABCLOCAL.GO.COM/KABC/STORY?SECTION=LOCAL&ID=5719545

CONTINUES LIVE COVERAGE OF ALL THE CALI FIRES

Good luck Guys stay safe

when you click on the map it takes you to live sreaming video of each location.

anyone looking for a missing love one can call
AMERICAN RED CROSS AT 1-800-REDCROSS

THE RED CROSS HAS A WEB SITE THAT IS CALLED

SAFE AND WELL

i WILL TRY TO FIND THE LINK OK

pREPGIRL

PrepGirl View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrepGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2007 at 2:31pm

redcross safe and well link to see if a lost person is located with the red cross and safe.

http://www.redcross.org/metadata/safeandwell/safeandwell.html

PrepGirl View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrepGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2007 at 2:39pm
    I dont want to over whelm you guys with info. But if this helps you prepare for what direction you might be heading if you got to escape or evacuate here is the fire locations I have found for California.

Poomacha Fire
Highway 76, Pauma Valley
San Diego County

The fire started October 23 as a structure fire on the Lajolla Indian Reservation. It has burned 1,000 acres. Evacuations are in progress along the Highway 76 Corridor. This fire has resulted in eight injuries. Poomacha Fire Information Line (619) 590-3160.

Harris Fire
Harris Ranch Road & Hwy 94
San Diego County

This fire has burned 70,000 acres and is five percent contained. The fire started October 22 and is burning at Harris Ranch Road and both sides of Highway 94 in Portrero in San Diego County. There have been 20 civilian injuries and one death as well as five firefighter injuries on this fire. At least 200 homes have been destroyed in this fire - more than 50 were in Deerhorn Valley and Honey Springs. Citizens are shelterd at Fire Station 66. 2000 homes and 500 commercial properties are threatened currently. 3000 people have been evacuated in the Harris Ranch Road and Otay Lake Road. 275 firefighters are assigned including 175 CAL FIRE staff. Harris Fire Information Line (619) 590-3160.

McCoy Fire
Cleveland National Forest
San Diego County

This fire has burned 300 acres and is 50 percent contained. The fire started October 21 and is burning in the Boulder Creek/Eagle Peak area of San Diego County. One residence and one outbuilding have been destroyed. 28 personnel are currently on scene. McCoy Fire Information Line (619) 590-3160.

Rice Fire
Rice Canyon
San Diego County

This fire has burned 6,100 acres in Rice Canyon in Northern San Diego County. 500 homes have been destroyed and another 30 have been damaged. 2,500 homes are threatened. The town of Fallbrook has been evacuated. Camp Pendleton and Oceanside are threatened. 170 firefighters are assigned to this fire including 11 CAL FIRE staff. Rice Fire Information Line (619) 590-3160.

Rosa Fire
NearTemecula
Riverside County

This fire has burned 100 acres. 100 residences near Temecula are threatened. 192 firefighters are assigned. Roca Fire Information Line (951) 940-6985.

Witch Fire
Witch Creek Area East of Ramona
San Diego County

This fire has burned 165,000 acres uncontained. 500 homes, 100 commercial properties, and 50 outbuildings have been destroyed. 250 homes, 75 commercial properties and 50 outbuildings have been damaged. 5,000 residences, 1,500 commercial properties, and 300 outbuildings are currently threatened in the communities of San Diego, Poway, Ramona, Escondido, Lakeside, Valley Center, San Marcos, and Rancho Santa Fe. Seven firefighters have been injured on this fire. A CAL FIRE Incident Command Team is in command of this incident with 1,492 firefighters assigned. Wildcat Canyon is closed. Highway 67 is closed from Poway to Ramona. Witch Fire Information Line (619) 590-3160.   

Buckweed Fire
Mint Canyon Road at Sierra Hwy
Los Angeles County

This fire has burned 37,800 acres and is 27 percent contained. The fire started October 21 and is burning at Mint Canyon Road and Sierra Highway in Los Angeles County toward Magic Mountain. A mandatory evacuation of 15,000 residents remains in effect. 55,000 homes in the communities of Santa Clarita, Castaic, Leona Valley, Green Valley, Acton, Agua Dulce, Bouquet Reservoir and Mint Canyon, are threatened. Evacuation centers are located at Hart High School, Saugus High School, Crown Valley Middle School, and Meadowlark School. A partial road closure for Sierra Highway north from Soledad Canyon remains in effect. The Old Road at Valencia Boulevard is closed. Vasquez Canyon is open to residents only. 15 homes and 17 outbuildings have been destroyed and three homes have been damaged. 22 vehicles have also been destroyed. Three civilians and one firefighter have been injured. 1,014 firefighters are assigned including 172 CAL FIRE staff. Buckweed Fire Information Line (323) 881-2411

Magic Fire
Old Cross Road at Magic Mountain Parkway
Los Angeles County

The magic fire started at 2:15 p.m. October 22. 1200 acres have burned and the fire is moving toward Ventura. 900 homes are threatened in the Santa Clarita and Simi Valley areas. 428 Los Angeles County firefighters are assigned to this fire. Magic Fire Information Line (323) 881-2411.

Ranch Fire
Angeles National Forest
Los Angeles County

This fire has burned 54,500 acres since October 20 and is 10 percent contained. Fire is burning six miles north of Castaic in Los Angeles County. The communities of Fillmore, Piru, Ventura, and Ojai are currently threatened. Evacuations continue in Chiquito Canyon, Hasley Canyon, Val Verde, Hopper Canyon and toward Filmore. An evacuation center is available at Fillmore Veterans Memorial Building, 511 Second Street. Large animals can be evacuated to Ventura County Fairgrounds and small animals to Camarillo Animal Shelter.

Three homes and four outbuildings have been destroyed. 500 residences, 50 commercial properties and 50 outbuildings are currently threatened. Three homes and four outbuildings have been destroyed. 767 personnel are assigned including 80 CAL FIRE staff. Ranch Fire Information Line (626) 574-5208.

Canyon Fire
Malibu Canyon
Los Angeles County

This fire has burned 4,400 acres and is fifteen percent contained. The fire started October 21 and is burning in Malibu Canyon south of Pacific Coast Highway in Los Angeles County. Six homes and two businesses have been destroyed. Nine homes and five businesses have been damaged. 600 residences, 200 commercial buildings, and 100 outbuildings are threatened. 500 homes have been evacuated.

Mandatory evacuations are established in the following areas: Monte Nido, Malibu Colony, Malibu Rd., Sweetwater Canyon, Carbon Canyon, Carbon Mesa, Rambla Pacifica, Big Rock, Topanga Canyon, Powder Ranch Rd. and Monte Vista Dr. Voluntary evacuations were implemented for the following areas: Corral Canyon, Sunset Mesa, Topanga Canyon, and Old Topanga Canyon The following road closures are in effect: PCH between Topanga Canyon and Kanan-Dume Rd.; Malibu Canyon between PCH and Piuma Rd. Topanga Canyon and Mulholland Dr., Malibu Canyon at Civic Center, Malibu Canyon at Mulholland Dr., Carbon Canyon at PCH, PCH at Kanan Rd., Tuna at Saddlepeak, Kanan Rd. at Cornell, Big Rock at PCH, Los Flores at Rambla Pacifica (S/B Traffic), Old Topanga at Mulholland, Mulholland at Stunt Rd., Schuren at Stunt Rd. Evacuation centers established at Agoura High School and Palisades High School. Closures for 10/23/07 are in effect for Malibu High, Webster Elementary School, Point Dume Elementary School, Cabrillo and Topanga Elementary Schools.

Three injuries have been reported. 898 personnel are assigned to this incident including 17 fire crews, 12 helicopters, 207 engines, 6 bulldozers and 9 watertenders. Canyon Fire Information Line (323) 881-2411.

Walker Fire
Northwest of Lake Arrowhead
San Bernardino County

This fire burned 160 acres northwest of Lake Arrowhead in San Bernardino County and is now 100% contained. The evacuation center is now closed. Four engines remain on scene. Walker Fire Information line (909) 383-5688.

Cajon Fire
I-15/Kenwood in Devore
San Bernardino County

The Cajon Fire started October 22 and has burned 200 acres. It is currently 20 percent contained. 107 firefighters are assigned to this incident. Cajon Fire Information line (909) 383-5688.

Martin Fire
Martin Ranch Road at Meyers Road
San Bernardino County

This fire in the San Bernardino National Forest began at 9 a.m. October 23 and has burned 75 acres. It is 20 percent contained. 23 engines, 2 bulldozers, and a fire crew strike team are battling this fire. 50 homes are currently threatened and one home has been damaged. Martin Fire Information line (909) 383-5688.

Slide Fire
San Bernardino National Forest
Green Valley Lake near Running Springs
San Bernardino County

This fire has burned 8,500 acres at Green Valley Lake near Running Springs in San Bernardino County. More than 100 homes have burned and 400 continue to be threatened. Mandatory evacuations are in place for Green Valley Lake, Arrow Bear, and Running Springs. All roads into the mountain communities are closed. 17 engines and five water tenders are currently assigned to this fire. Slide Fire Information Line (909) 383-5688.

Santiago Fire
Santiago Canyon Road at Silverado Canyon Road
Orange County

This fire has burned 15,300 acres and is now 30 percent contained. The fire is burning at Santiago Canyon Road and Silverado Canyon Road in Irvine, Orange County. Highway 241 is closed from Santiago Canyon to Highway 133. Portola Parkway and portions of Jamboree Road in Irvine are closed. 3,500 homes and 150 commercial properties are threatened in the communities of Foothill Ranch, Lake Forest, Modjeska, and Silverado Canyon. Eight outbuildings have been destroyed and 12 have been damaged. Four firefighter injuries have been reported. 492 people are assigned to this incident. Santiago Fire Information Line (714) 573-6200.

CONTAINED
Sedgewick Fire
Brinkerhoff Rd/Sedgewick Ranch/ Figueroa Mountain
Santa Barbara County

This fire, caused by arching power lines, burned 710 acres and is now 100 percent contained. 450 homes and 1 outbuilding were threatened in the Woodstock and Brinkerhoff Road areas of Santa Barbara County. 472 personnel are assigned including 74 CAL FIRE staff. Sedgewick Fire Information Line (805) 681-5546.

Roca Fire
East of Temecula
Riverside County

This fire has burned 270 acres since October 21 and is now 100 percent contained. 300 residences in or near Aquanga, Jojoba Hills Resort, Crosley Homestead, Agua Tibea Wilderness, and the Cleveland National Forest were threatened. One home has been destroyed. 108 personnel are assigned. One injury has been reported. Roca Fire Information Line (951) 940-6985.

Coronado Hills Fire
South of Cal State San Marcos
San Diego County

Fire started October 22 and burned 300 acres south of Cal State San Marcos in San Diego County. Structures were lost in Discovery Hills and San Marcos. It is now 100 percent contained. Coronado Hills Fire Line (619) 590-3160.

Quick Search

Advanced Search

Hot Topics
FIRE INFORMATION
State Fire, Insurance Officials Team Up to Prevent Fire Losses (39K PDF)
Bulldozer Rollover Claims Life of Matthew Will
CAL FIRE reminds all Californians to "Practice Your Escape Plan!" (40K PDF)
Angora Fire Information
Make Your Home Fire Safe With 100 Feet of Defensible Space
State Fire Department to be known as CAL FIRE (22K PDF)
Be Prepared For Any Emergency
California Climate Action Team

link to this page for updates is

http://www.fire.ca.gov/
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2007 at 3:48pm
Thanks all.    I'm sure JacksDad is fairly busy if he's in San Diego.   We're located in Orange County, CA, in the city of Irvine.   The hills around us all seem to be on fire and I'm glad to see that we haven't lost power yet being that a lot of the power lines are down.  Our hosting facility is in the same location where they host 911 for Southern California, so we probably wouldn't go down unless they did.  

coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2007 at 6:26am

FBI: al-Qaeda detainee spoke of fire plot
PHOENIX (AP) — The FBI alerted law enforcement agencies last month that an al-Qaeda terrorist now in detention had talked of masterminding a plot to set a series of devastating forest fires around the western United States.
Rose Davis, a spokeswoman for the National Interagency Fire Center in Boise, told The Associated Press that officials there took note of the warning but didn't see a need to act further on it.

The contents of the June 25 memo from the FBI's Denver office were reported Friday by The Arizona Republic. Davis declined to share a copy of the memo and an FBI spokeswoman in Denver didn't immediately return a telephone call.

The Republic reported that the detainee, who was not identified, said the plan involved three or four people setting wildfires using timed devices in Colorado, Montana, Utah and Wyoming that would detonate in forests and grasslands after the operatives had left the country.

The memo noted that investigators couldn't determine whether the detainee was telling the truth.

The newspaper said many forest law enforcement officers it contacted had no idea the warning had been issued.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

web ferret View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Original Join Date: Long Term Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote web ferret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2007 at 12:35pm
Just to say best wishes to anyone affected by this.
As this will knock the local infrastructure those preps may come in very handy!
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 10:24am
Feds Join Probe in SoCal Wildfire

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Federal agents joined the search for evidence Wednesday in brush-covered Orange County hills where an arsonist is believed to have ignited one of the wildfires devastating Southern California.

In San Bernardino County, a man suspected of starting a small fire was arrested and another man was shot to death by police after he fled officers who approached to see if he might be trying to set a fire.

Wildfires, burning in seven counties, had destroyed about 1,500 homes and caused more than a half-million people to flee since the first blaze began late Saturday. At least two - in Orange and Riverside counties - have been linked to arson.

Throughout the region, authorities stepped up patrols in hopes of preventing copycat fires and looting. In San Diego County, sheriff's officials have reported scattered instances of looting in fire zones. Two people have been arrested.

Orange County officials converged on a remote area of bone-dry brush where a 19,200-acre wildfire has destroyed nine homes. They were aided by special teams from the FBI and federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. The federal government planned to send more agents from around the country to help with the probe.

Investigators taped off an area they called a crime scene, took photos, collected evidence and recorded map coordinates, according to ATF Special Agent Susan Raichel. Authorities believe the fire had been set because they found three different ignition points within a short distance - a common sign of arson.

A $70,000 reward was offered for information leading to an arrest in the case.

In San Bernardino County, a motorcyclist who authorities say set a small fire in a rural foothill area of the San Bernardino Mountains has been booked for investigation of arson. Authorities said they didn't know if the man was connected to any of the 16 major wildfires burning in Southern California.

In the city of San Bernardino, police shot and killed a man who fled when officers approached to see if he might be trying to set a fire.

The man, whose name was not released, was shot Tuesday night following a chase that ended when he backed his car into a police cruiser and an officer opened fire, San Bernardino police said.

---

Associated Press writer Matt Apuzzo in Washington contributed to this story.

Pebbles19 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pebbles19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 11:26am
   I havent been able to post for days we were evacuated on Tuesday.
        As most of you know I am in San Diego, we haven't got to go back home yet, I dont know if my house is still there or not. We lost it 4 years ago in the Cedar fire. Couldnt grab my preps, but got my pictures, sunk my china in a ben in the swimming pool again,grabbed some clothes and left.
        Hopefully they will have a complete list of homes distroyed today, Its a lot of work and a lot of counties so I know it takes time. I am just glad I cant hear the trees expolding anymore, that sounds scares me to death, its piercing to your ears, sounds like bombs to me. There is so much smoke at times you would think its night time. Some of the fire balls were as big as lemons and they flew threw the air like they were hit out of a ball park but some great player. The Sun looks like its a picture in some movie, or of mars. I havent seen stars or the moon in days. I saw pictures of the smoke from here taken from space, that was amazing to see all of this smoke above our planet.

I am so proud of the PEOPLE of this city for doing all they have done, The PEOPLE started the ball rolling to help all evacuated, I pray everyone else is ok and well, I sure pray for our firefighters bless them they work so hard, Wish I could say the fires are over but not yet, hopefully soon. Everytime I hear a helicopter go over makes me happy to know there is help going on.

God bless you all
hugs :o)
Hotair View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 12:13pm
Oh Pebbles I wish you such luck. My heart goes out to you and everyone down there. I can't imagine rebuilding and having it burn down again in 4 years. I also feel so sad for all the forest animals that lost their lives in those fires. They were saying this am that there is a 70,000 reward for the capture of the guy who started one of them. Please let us know.
BMW1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMW1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 4:45pm
 Pebble 19, I have been watching the news about the fire in your area.  I have been praying for your entire state.  I am so sorry that this has occured and causes so much pain and grief for everyone.  I am glad to hear that you and your family are safe.  My next prayer is that your home be spared so you can return and start to put your life back together.  Please keep us informed as to how you are doing. 
Mississipi Mama
BMW1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMW1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 4:58pm
Albert, Hotair and Jacksdad.  I know all of you are very wise,  and you will know when it is time for you to leave if that become necessary.  In the mean time we will continue to pray for all you, the animals and your homes.  Please take care of yourselves and keep us posted.
Mississipi Mama
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2007 at 3:21am
same here!!!!!!! hope all is well!!
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2007 at 7:52pm
   Myself and my family are safe and well. Thanks to everyone that posted. The fires are still burning, but the santa ana winds have thankfully died down. The Harris fire reached the outskirts of my part of town just as helicopters arrived to start water drops, and the weather changed. There were mandatory evacuations close to me, and the smoke and ash were awful. My lungs still hurt from breathing it in for days. It was such a relief to have my preps close to hand, ready to go. On Monday night I loaded what I thought we'd need into the motorhome, and the rest was safely locked away in a steel shed in the back yard a safe distance from the house. If I ever had any doubt about the value of prepping (which I didn't) this would have dispelled them.
   Good luck to all those who are still evacuated or threatened by the fires. We're all thinking of you. And a huge thank you to all the fire, law enforcement and EMS personnel who worked so hard on our behalf. The temperatures here have been in the 90's and the fires moved so quickly they were constantly in danger themselves. I get a lump in my throat when I think of how hard they worked to help complete strangers. I'm so proud of them.
    Pebbles19 - where were you located? I'm in the south bay. Please let us know how you're doing.

Pebbles19 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pebbles19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2007 at 1:20am
    Thank you everyone ......huge hugssssss

We were able to go to the house on Friday,some structure damage and the garage is gone, compared to others homes, I am very blessed thats for sure. Will be starting all over with prepping, ugh.
        We are all safe and alive thats what counts.
            I will be staying at my daughters home in
Santee for awhile, her home is just fine.
        Thank you all for your lovely notes.
Onward and foreward.

God bless all of you
love Pebs

johngardner1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2007 at 8:38am
Originally posted by Pebbles19 Pebbles19 wrote:

Thank you everyone ......huge hugssssss

We were able to go to the house on Friday,some structure damage and the garage is gone, compared to others homes, I am very blessed thats for sure. Will be starting all over with prepping, ugh.
        We are all safe and alive thats what counts.
            I will be staying at my daughters home in
Santee for awhile, her home is just fine.
        Thank you all for your lovely notes.
Onward and foreward.

God bless all of you
love Pebs

You got caught in the fires in cal? Did you save your preps? Do you have food and money?
I am not a prophet
Evergreen View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evergreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2007 at 12:36pm
Ooops, double post. Mercury Retrograde strikes again. Sorry. D
Evergreen View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evergreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2007 at 12:38pm
Thank God you and your family are safe and your house is still standing. Sorry about your preps, but that can be replaced. I hope others of us (AFT) who were caught in the fires come out okay. Please check in and let us know. Also, that article about terrorist plot to start multiple fires got my attention. Sounds like the locals never got any warning. What's up with that? D

jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2007 at 7:27pm
Pebbles - I'm so sorry to hear about the damage to your home and the loss of your preps. I hope everything works out for you. Take care and it's nice to have you still with us.
Pebbles19 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pebbles19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2007 at 3:35am
    Thank you again Everyone........hugssssssssssss

Hope everyone else that was in the path of the fires are all well and safe..

muriel46 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muriel46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2007 at 9:30pm
California Prepares for More Fires

Email this Story

Nov 2, 10:09 PM (ET)

By ELLIOT SPAGAT
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20071103/D8SLTHJO2.html

SAN DIEGO (AP) - Applying lessons learned just a week ago, Southern California is lining up fire crews and aircraft to get a jump on wildfires if the hot, dry Santa Ana winds expected to return this weekend cause major flare-ups.

None of more than two dozen air tankers and military helicopters that arrived from around the country to fight last month's blazes are returning to their home bases, said Francis Solich, a spokesman for the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection.

"If anything breaks loose, they'll be here," Solich said Friday.

The state also has 75 "strike teams" of five engines spread throughout Southern California, Solich said.

(AP) UPDATES with latest information; 3-D map shows location of wildfires in California; three sizes; 3c...
Full Image
Also Friday, Marines began training with state firefighters at the Marine Corps Air Station Miramar in San Diego, and will be available to join firefighting efforts this weekend if needed.

"We are training them on how to work in our air space. The Marines are great pilots, but they don't have any experience in how we fight fires," CDF Capt. Matt Streck said.

When more than 15 fires began breaking out across Southern California two weeks ago, it took more than 24 hours for nearly two dozen firefighting helicopters to get into the air.

By the time aircraft began arriving in large numbers, the winds were gusting at 100 mph or more in some areas, making it too dangerous to use them for firefighting.

State officials initially said the winds were to blame for the slow airborne response to the fires. That version of events was later challenged by San Diego-area congressmen, some local fire officials and by government records that show it was bureaucracy that kept many aircraft grounded.

(AP) This image, captured by a NASA satellite on Tuesday, Oct. 23, 2007, shows smoke coming off the...
Full Image
Also, the California National Guard's C-130 cargo planes - among the most powerful aerial firefighting weapons - never got off the tarmac because they weren't fitted with the bladders needed to carry thousands of gallons of *********ant. That was something that had been promised four years ago.

A shortage of spotters who are required to accompany military choppers to coordinate drops of fire *********ant and water also prevented some of the aircraft from getting into the air quickly.

In all, the fires destroyed more than 2,000 homes across a swath of Southern California stretching from north of Los Angeles to south of San Diego.

As firefighters prepared for this weekend's winds, several small fires continued to burn in sparsely populated areas. Also, two large ones had yet to be fully contained.

The forecast this weekend called for Santa Ana winds gusting to 50 mph near the cities of San Bernardino and Fontana, east of Los Angeles, and in the mountains near hard-hit Santa Clarita, in Los Angeles County.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger declared a state of emergency in Riverside County on Friday because of harsh winds, which in addition to heightening the wildfire threat have damaged power lines, trees, homes and buildings.

Similar gusts were expected in the hamlet of Campo, about 60 miles east of San Diego on the Mexican border, and in the sparsely populated mountains of Orange County.

The winds, which blow east to west from the deserts and through mountain canyons this time of year, are hot and dry, sending humidity plunging and turning wooded areas into tinderboxes.

---

Associated Press writers Aaron C. Davis in Sacramento, Michael R. Blood in Los Angeles, Rachel Konrad in San Jose and Allison Hoffman in San Diego contributed to this report.

Evergreen View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evergreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2007 at 9:56am
Indianz.Com. In Print.
http://www.indianz.com/News/2007/005752.asp

La Jolla Band accepting donations after fire
Tuesday, November 6, 2007
Filed Under: National

Members of the La Jolla Band of Luiseno Indians are in need of clothes, food and other supplies after seeing their reservation nearly destroyed by fire.

Calvin Rodriguez is organizing donations for the tribe and can be reached at (760) 271-8671. The tribe is also working with the After the Fires Fund of the San Diego Foundation.

The La Jolla Band was one of the hardest hit by the southern California fires. Nearly all of the reservation was burned and 59 homes were destroyed.

Get the Story:
La Jolla Indians in need of clothes, food, supplies (The San Diego Union-Tribune 11/6)

Relevant Links:
After the Fires Fund - http://www.sdfoundation.org/fire2007

Related Stories:
California tribes seek assistance after fire (11/5)
California tribes begin fire recovery efforts (10/31)
Artman to survey fire damage in southern California (10/30)
Tribal firefighters battle California blazes (10/26)
Two tribes among hardest hit by California fires (10/25)
Fires strike southern California reservations (10/24)
BIA cancels consultation due to California fires (10/23)

Copyright © Indianz.Com

PrepGirl View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrepGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2007 at 2:59pm
Evergreen I am going to talk to my sister. She is working with some sisters from a church who help people in need. I will forward the info you just gave me to her. In hopes they could help the Indians. My sister and I are both discidents of Indians from the East Coast.
The Panobcots.
PrepGirl

Glad to help out........
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic