Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

bbc documentary and 18 months of preps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Levygoddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bbc documentary and 18 months of preps
    Posted: January 01 2008 at 8:18pm
Ok..tell me if Im wrong but I seen the documentary courtesy of the BBC..is it a fair assessment to figure on an 18 month prep? They said the 1918 Spanish Flu lasted that long and they are expecting this to be worse. I can not possibly store that much water!!! Nor that much food. I see why people are buying MRE's now...Man I thought I was doing goodOuch...Im so unprepared!!! 
God put us here for a reason
Kilt2 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2008 at 9:51pm
In 1918 the pandemic swept the globe by steamship and took six months to go everywhere except here in Australia.

Our government closed the ports and declared quarantine.

In 1919 the pandemic was over and we opened our ports again and people who had no symptoms came in carrying the virus and we lost 1% of our population.

The reality is people carry the virus and nobody may be sick but they still carry the virus and you will catch it

I am on 5 acres with 11 sheep - thats enough meat for a year plus I have my preps which are 2 or 3 more years of food in my barrels in my garage.

digital View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2008 at 3:30am
Originally posted by Levygoddess Levygoddess wrote:

Ok..tell me if Im wrong but I seen the documentary courtesy of the BBC..is it a fair assessment to figure on an 18 month prep? They said the 1918 Spanish Flu lasted that long and they are expecting this to be worse. I can not possibly store that much water!!! Nor that much food. I see why people are buying MRE's now...Man I thought I was doing good...Im so unprepared!!! 

Even if you got them at a huge discount, 18 months pf MRE's would cost lots of money.

Read the prep pages and see that people are storing bulk grains in plastic drums and buying a grain mill and learning how to use the milled product in preparation of meals.

Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2008 at 5:48am
We have a years supply of food, plus I do plan on growing a few veggies this year when the weather gets warmer, so that will supplement  a little bit. We also have 2 peach trees and 1 apple tree, which I normally I give the extras away, but I will plan on freezing anything extra this year. I would just keep buying a little extra every time I went to the store. You can buy alot of rice and beans for cheap, which is why alot of people are going that route. MRE's are too expensive for my pocketbook, so I went with canned goods and things like powdered milk, powdered eggs, dried pinto beans that type thing.
Lone Wolf View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lone Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2008 at 8:40am
I bought MRE's for if I have to bugout about a months supply. I bought a pressure canner and canned food to SIP (the bulk of my supplies).
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2008 at 9:28am
Your utilities will not be shut off due to a pandemic. You would have to prepare for the remote chance of outages due to a storm, etc...There will be people working the utilities as they would be one of the highest priorities in a town/city.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2008 at 9:33am
Why buy MRE's. They are expensive next to a can of soup. I can see MRE's if you plan on traveling or moving around a lot due to the light weight. In general i would buy the cheaper can items. Then again the MRE's do have a long shelf life.
Lone Wolf View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lone Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2008 at 9:48am
Originally posted by BoJingles BoJingles wrote:

Your utilities will not be shut off due to a pandemic. You would have to prepare for the remote chance of outages due to a storm, etc...There will be people working the utilities as they would be one of the highest priorities in a town/city.

I believe most people see electric and water going out.
My electric has been out a week with a ice storm, and it is predicted that 40% of people will not go to work. They are predicting natural gas could stay on a while. People have been buying Tri-fuel carberators for their gas generators so they can burn Natural gas.
Never2late View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Never2late Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2008 at 10:23am
Its been widely reported that the water supply, even if left "on" won't be safe because most water suppliers only have about a week's worth of chlorine on hand and the BF will disrupt/prevent resupply. Coal powered electrical plants would probably suffer the same fate.    
Levygoddess View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Levygoddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2008 at 3:04pm
I dont have alot of storage...I guess I will be clearing out anything that is not "needed" to make more room...I have about 1 month supply...Im gonna go get those rubbermaid tubs for under the bed...
God put us here for a reason
Rockhound View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockhound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2008 at 3:32pm
Don't forget how to cook food when/if the power goes out. I don't have one yet, but I do have the supplys and know how to make a solar cooker , when the time comes.
Will you let everbody in your house?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2008 at 3:44pm
    Kilt2: What was your address. I meant to send you a christmas card this year but couldnt find your address!
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2008 at 9:41pm

I can not possibly store that much water!!! Nor that much food. I see why people are buying MRE's now...Man I thought I was doing good...Im so unprepared!!! 

I'm not planning on storing all the water I'd need for myself and my family. There are often natural water supplies around, but you have to be equipped to use them safely. I'm close to the coast so I'm looking into building enough solar stills to keep us going. Berkey or Katadyn filters will purify a lot of fresh (but potentially contaminated) water for a reasonable outlay if you have access to a stream, river or lake. If you have a large enough piece of property, maybe look into getting a well. There are options other than bulk storage alone.
What kind of food preps are you storing? I have dry food in buckets and it doesn't take up a lot of space, and it's pretty cheap.
Was the program you saw an edition of "Horizon" by any chance? I heard they did an hour long documentary, but I've not been able to track it down.

Lone Wolf View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lone Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2008 at 10:11pm

Ok..tell me if Im wrong but I seen the documentary courtesy of the BBC..is it a fair assessment to figure on an 18 month prep? They said the 1918 Spanish Flu lasted that long and they are expecting this to be worse. I can not possibly store that much water!!! Nor that much food. I see why people are buying MRE's now...Man I thought I was doing goodOuch...Im so unprepared!!! 

Levygoddess - Water - I have 6 - 55 gallon drumbs with liners for drinking water, but I also have 2 trash cans to collect water from my roof. I am hoping to use roof water to wash dishes, clothes and my self, and save the water in my drums for what I consume. I hope this helped.
Suzi View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2008 at 10:36pm
The bbc video is coming on again on the Science Channel. Jan 7 and 8.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2008 at 11:18am
Thanks Suzi
inthesticks View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inthesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2008 at 3:13am

I dont have alot of storage...I guess I will be clearing out anything that is not "needed" to make more room...I have about 1 month supply...Im gonna go get those rubbermaid tubs for under the bed...

I think people who don't have space at home to store preps, should rent a public storage room...from the plethora of public rentals in this country.  Find a storage bldg rental that is close to your home, and keep supplies in there.  They will be perfectly safe until needed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic