Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Couple Isolated Toronto Hospital  Bird Flu Fears?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Couple Isolated Toronto Hospital Bird Flu Fears?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Couple Isolated Toronto Hospital Bird Flu Fears?
    Posted: March 19 2008 at 6:25am

Couple Isolated At Toronto Hospital Over Bird Flu Fears

Wednesday March 19, 2008
CityNews.ca Staff

An elderly couple has reportedly been isolated at Toronto East General Hospital over possible bird flu fears.

The couple had just returned from a trip to Bangladesh, where there's an outbreak of avian flu. They were transported to hospital Tuesday night after complaining of flu-like symptoms.

Since being admitted, emergency and hospital workers have taken extra steps to be safe including wearing masks and gloves.

Officials reportedly aren't overly worried but they want to be on the safe side and wait for test results to confirm what the couple is ailing from. Those results may not come back for a few days.

Bird flu, also known as the H5N1 virus, spreads quickly and is lethal in untreated cases.

A foreign tourist stands next to a poultry cage at a market in Denpasar on Bali island on March 19, 2008. (SONNY TUMBELAKA/AFP/Getty Images)Confused

coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 6:28am
Good Find!! We have to all start watching things closely!
Long time lurker since day one to Member.
waterboy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 6:35am
Thanks. Your really on top of things I thought for sure youd find it before me? Even while I was posting it I thought you were probably on this too. Youve get a "Quick finger" ".Thanks coyote for all your hard work!
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 6:45am
I hope Bird flu in Indonesia hasn't mutated into human form. With all the news lately from Indo.,maybe they new that it was starting to mutate but did not want to admit it.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 6:47am
Thanks for the info, we need to keep an eye on this!
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 6:50am
Now on DRUDGE REPORT:

Indonesia: Rampant bird flu raises pandemic risks...
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 7:03am
This should be interesting.  

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 7:09am
Didn't I just post this? Confuzled?
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 7:13am
Waterboy beat you to it by less than 1 minute.   
coyote View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 7:13am
I guess we all got it at once.You were right on it med!
lamrobertson View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lamrobertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 7:24am
Click here for CTV NEWS Story

Canadian news video on same story.

Very weird there are so many big Canadian news stations that have online stories about bird flu.  Sure looks like a media blackout has been lifted.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 7:26am
no problem. I thought I had checked before the post. Having a tough time finding anything else even with Copernic Agent and a lot of engines. You realize that we are getting - may be getting real close to when time. Probably they have loaded them up with Tamiflu so we can forget getting positives. As was said, best thing to do, is watch for spread. Honestly, I am more worried about Indonesia.

I need some coffee and 2 aspirin.

MC
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 7:27am
That is good - if anyone finds if they gave them Tamiflu - would be much interested.. and .. they both have it - that is kind of unsettling.

MC
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lamrobertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 7:28am

Attention News/Health Editors:

Media Statement - Bird Flu Speculation: Inaccurate Media Reporting

TORONTO, March 19 /CNW/ - Toronto East General Hospital (TEGH) is
concerned about inaccurate media speculation and reporting regarding human
cases of avian flu. TEGH has no reason to speculate that any patients in the
hospital have avian flu.
Toronto is experiencing steadily increasing cases of seasonal flu in the
community. For example, during the week of March 2 to 8th, 2008, there were 47
new cases of seasonal flu (not avian flu) in Toronto. Although TEGH has
effectively responded to an increased number of patients with seasonal
flu-like symptoms, including those from other facilities experiencing seasonal
flu outbreaks, the hospital has no reason to believe that any patients at TEGH
have H5N1 avian flu.
Furthermore, media reports are indicating that the individuals suspected
to have avian flu had recently traveled to Bangladesh. It is important to
clarify that, according to the World Health Network, there have been no
reported human cases of H5N1 avian flu in Bangladesh.
TEGH has a comprehensive screening program to identify patients who
present with potential respiratory illness. The hospital is proud of our
record in identifying such individuals. Effective identification enables TEGH
to provide appropriate treatment, to utilize respiratory precautions and to
protect staff and others. We are confident that no staff, patients or visitors
have been inadvertently exposed to seasonal influenza at TEGH.
We wish to reassure the public that the hospital is safe and that there
is no reason for anybody who has visited the hospital to be concerned. All
services, including scheduled procedures, continue to be fully available. We
do not anticipate a need for any reduction in service or visitation
restrictions.

http://newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/March2008/19/c5554.html

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 7:42am
Concerning the quick news release capping the story we found - so much for the non-news blackout.  I have never seen such a quick reaction and I tried running the video link and it locked up.

There is a line - is it in Macbeth as Lady Macbeth goes on about the king was not murdered saying "me thinketh the lady prostesteth too much."

The logic on this article is rather strange.

Such a short memory they have mmmm

Monday, February 25, 2008

Bird flu hits another Bangladesh district

DHAKA, Feb 25 (Reuters) - Bangladesh, struggling to combat avian influenza, confirmed on Monday the H5N1 virus had spread to another district, taking the number of affected districts to 45 out of 64.

The new outbreak was found in Chandpur, 170 km (105 miles) southeast of the capital, but livestock officials said the spread of bird flu had slowed across the country in recent weeks.

“At the advent of spring we are getting few reports about poultry dying,” said Ibrahim (one name), project director of the government’s livestock department. “The situation is now mostly under control.”

Nearly 970,000 birds have been culled since the virus was first detected in March 2007, threatening the impoverished country’s growing poultry industry.

At least 5 million of the country’s more than 140 million people are directly or indirectly involved in poultry farming, of whom officials estimate around 1.5 million have now become jobless.

comment: That was a month ago. We have a real decent chance of yet another country being endogenous with Avian in the birds, so why not be concerned with travelers exhibiting symptoms who arrived from a country crawling with it in the birds.

It is my thinking the original article was probably quite accurate and now we are playing - ... well.. appreciate this counter stuff popped up in less than 30 minutes saying the whole thing was a mistake.

Still trying to make the video run. Any luck on that one for other posters yet? I just tried again and IMHO it appears the video has been removed and only the commercial runs.

MC
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lamrobertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 7:53am
Yeah the video I can't play now either.  Probably just too many people trying to watch it.  I would try again later.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 9:03am
Originally posted by lamrobertson lamrobertson wrote:

Furthermore, media reports are indicating that the individuals suspected to have avian flu had recently traveled to Bangladesh. It is important to
clarify that, according to the World Health Network, there have been no
reported human cases of H5N1 avian flu in Bangladesh.

Although that may be true with regard to no human cases in Bangladesh, it's not bird to human infections that concerns people.  The concern is that a "new" mutated human strain could emerge, which would most likely first appear outside of Asia.    

homescoolmama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote homescoolmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 9:06am
hmmmm, what about their travel time frame, when did they get back, what airline they flew on and when, were they infected when they flew, how many people have they seen since they got back and infected? Does not mention any of this....yet they were taken in to the hospital by hazmat wearing tech's...and isolated...
homescoolmama View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote homescoolmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 9:08am
also no "reported cases"  does not necessarily mean there are no cases, and what if they travelled to West Bengal or elsewhere, while there..
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lamrobertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 9:11am
Originally posted by Albert Albert wrote:

Although that may be true with regard to no human cases in Bangladesh, it's not bird to human infections that concerns people.  The concern is that a new mutated human strain could emerge, which would most likely first appear outside of Asia.    

Not sure about the guy that wronte this.  I can't figure out what the World Health Network is .  lol I'm pretty sure he screwed up and meant World Health Organization.  A mistake like that really makes me wonder about the guy who wrote this.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 9:14am
Originally posted by homescoolmama homescoolmama wrote:

hmmmm, what about their travel time frame, when did they get back, what airline they flew on and when, were they infected when they flew, how many people have they seen since they got back and infected? Does not mention any of this....yet they were taken in to the hospital by hazmat wearing tech's...and isolated...

They actually didn't deny that they have a couple of people in isolation after visiting Bangladesh.  They somewhat played a couple of word games   Their official response was: "TEGH has no reason to speculate that any patients in the hospital have avian flu."

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 9:20am

Although that may be true with regard to no human cases in Bangladesh, it's not bird to human infections that concerns people.  The concern is that a new mutated human strain could emerge, which would most likely first appear outside of Asia.    

Not sure about the guy that wronte this.  I can't figure out what the World Health Network is .  lol I'm pretty sure he screwed up and meant World Health Organization.  A mistake like that really makes me wonder about the guy who wrote this.

Hi Lam, they could have meant this:  

"The WHO Influenza Surveillance Network serves also as a global alert mechanism for the emergence of influenza viruses with pandemic potential."

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 10:03am
Of course, if you are the first hospital to detect the new strain, it would be up to that hospital to report it to the WHO Influenza Network.   No hospital should rule out being the first to treat (and report) a new strain.   It has to emerge somewhere.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lamrobertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 10:45am

"The WHO Influenza Surveillance Network serves also as a global alert mechanism for the emergence of influenza viruses with pandemic potential."

Not sure.  I did ask them and they said it was a direct quote taken from the hospitals published
statement and it would be journalistically incorrect to change
it.

That must be what they meant.  How could the hospital make a mistake like that.
waterboy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 10:54am
Hospital downplays bird flu threat
AddThis var addthis_pub = ''; < ="http://s9.add.com/js/widget.php?v=10" =text/>

Mar 19, 2008 11:58 AM
THE CANADIAN PRESS

A Toronto hospital says there's no reason to believe any of its patients have bird flu amid media speculation that a couple who returned from Bangladesh were potential carriers of a deadly strain of the virus.

Toronto East General Hospital said in a statement that it has recently treated an increased number of patients with flu-like symptoms, but that there's nothing to suggest any of them have H5N1 avian flu.

The statement was responding to local media reports that said a couple who recently returned from Bangladesh were admitted to the hospital late Tuesday with flu symptoms and were being tested for possible bird flu infection.

Bangladesh has been grappling with an outbreak of the virulent H5N1 strain among animals, but there have been no human cases reported in the country.

The hospital said it was concerned about "inaccurate media speculation and reporting regarding human cases of avian flu."

Hospital spokeswoman Laura Visser says while she can't comment on specific cases the hospital was awaiting lab results, as it does for any patient with flu-like symptoms.

When asked about the media reports, Ontario Health Minister George Smitherman said there was "no confirmation of any cases, just speculation."

waterboy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 10:56am

Toronto bird flu lockdown misreported

TORONTO, March 19 (UPI) -- A Toronto hospital denied media reports Wednesday an elderly couple had been quarantined amid fears they had returned from Asia with avian flu.
< ="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js" =text/> < name=google_ads_ marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 ="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/ads?client=ca-pub-9743520551274558&dt=1205949410640&lmt=1205949410&at=250x250_as&output=&correlator=1205949410625&channel=9926625430&=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailyindia.com%2Fshow%2F226337.php%2FToronto-bird-flu-lockdown-misreed&color_bg=FFFFFF&color_text=000000&color_=000000&color_=999999&color_border=FFFFFF&ad_=text&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.topix.net%2Fhealth%2Favian-flu%2F2008%2F03%2Ftoronto-hospital-says-bird-flu-speculation-is-inaccurate&frm=0&cc=99&ga_vid=871697291.1205949411&ga_sid=1205949411&ga_hid=196628384&flash=9.0.47.0&u_h=768&u_w=1024&u_ah=740&u_aw=1024&u_cd=32&u_tz=-420&u_java=true" Border=0 width=250 scrolling=no height=250 allowTransparency>

CITY-TV reported an elderly couple who had just returned from Bangladesh were admitted to Toronto East General Hospital Tuesday night, and workers were taking "extra steps to be safe including wearing masks and gloves."

Soon after, the hospital issued a statement saying it "has no reason to speculate that any patients in the hospital have avian flu."

The hospital also took a swipe at the broadcaster's reporting of an "outbreak" of the H5N1 virus in Bangladesh.

"It is important to clarify that, according to the World Health Network, there have been no reported human cases of H5N1 avian flu in Bangladesh," the statement said. "We are confident that no staff, patients or visitors have been inadvertently exposed to seasonal influenza at TEGH."

Copyright 2008 by United Press International
Ro2935 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ro2935 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by waterboy waterboy wrote:

Toronto bird flu lockdown misreported

"It is important to clarify that, according to the World Health Network, there have been no reported human cases of H5N1 avian flu in Bangladesh," the statement said. "We are confident that no staff, patients or visitors have been inadvertently exposed to seasonal influenza at TEGH."

Copyright 2008 by United Press International

What about the people who shared a plane with them, have they been contacted, are measures in place to restrict their movement, how many times have the air crew flown since carrying these two people and has the plane been taken out of service and deep cleansed.
Too many unanswered questions at the moment. 
roni3470 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roni3470 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 2:46pm
http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Top_News/2008/03/19/toronto_bird_flu_lockdown_misreported/3792/

TORONTO, March 19 (UPI) -- A Toronto hospital denied media reports Wednesday an elderly couple had been quarantined amid fears they had returned from Asia with avian flu.

CITY-TV reported an elderly couple who had just returned from Bangladesh were admitted to Toronto East General Hospital Tuesday night, and workers were taking "extra steps to be safe including wearing masks and gloves."

Soon after, the hospital issued a statement saying it "has no reason to speculate that any patients in the hospital have avian flu."

The hospital also took a swipe at the broadcaster's reporting of an "outbreak" of the H5N1 virus in Bangladesh.

NOW is the Season to Know

that Everything you Do

is Sacred
roni3470 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roni3470 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 2:47pm
sorry about that...didn't mean to double post, I wasn't reading the whole chain :)
NOW is the Season to Know

that Everything you Do

is Sacred
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 3:44pm
Im thinking anyday now we are going to hear about a suspect H5N! human case(s) in South America.  The 200 chickens that died in I believe it was ElSalvador/Guatamala back around 2.15.08 is still "not yet classified"  Our birds migrate between Canada, US, SouthAmerica. 
Hobby View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 4:57pm

Gee I don't live far from Toronto and was not aware of this. You would think the news reporters would be all over this . I'm glad we have this site to keeps us informed.

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lamrobertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Hobby Hobby wrote:

Gee I don't live far from Toronto and was not aware of this. You would think the news reporters would be all over this . I'm glad we have this site to keeps us informed.

The story appeared on a couple of sites early this morning.  But within 3 hours the second story starting coming out saying it was nothing to worry about.  Tonight the story showed up on Canadian TV stations.  Global and CTV.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2008 at 5:13am

Not sure.  I did ask them and they said it was a direct quote taken from the hospitals published
statement and it would be journalistically incorrect to change
it.

That must be what they meant.  How could the hospital make a mistake like that.

I followed this story from when it broke. There are a lot of missing pieces in the denial.  Also the denial was extremely forthcoming. I had barely posted the story and within 30 minutes a totally different version had come out.

We have gone through the original news release, and perhaps now I can find the video clip viewable, I wasn't able to yesterday.  Having talked to some medical people as well, there was no mention in the original story as to whether they were treated with Tamiflu, specific symptoms that would have cause this concern. The flu is prevalent in many hospitals, so even a person with flu symptoms coming from a Bird Flu country, considering the widespread flu epidemic would not be news.

Has anyone spoken to the staff at this hospital or has there been any follow up news on the patients. Are they febrile, coughing blood, exhibiting symptoms that cause concern?
As Albert said, to paraphrase, if and when the Pandemic arrives, it has to start somewhere. So then, what will be the government, hospital, media, and other's reaction to that first real case. Would it be so different than issuing a denial because of the massive implications and the desire to avoid focusing attention on the hospital and scaring other patients?

Bottom line - we should monitor this one. SARS emerged in Canada in 2003.

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/abstract/348/20/1995

Medclinician

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lamrobertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2008 at 5:45am
They aren't going to start releasing details like that.  They are testing samples now.  They really don't think this is bird flu.  I really don't expect the hospital to release the peoples symptoms without having test results.  Unlikely they are going to say they are being treated with tamiflu.   They said in one of the stories they expect to have test results within 3 days.

Probably just seasonal flu but because they were travelling they are taking the necessary precautions to be sure.  This is a good thing showing that they are aware and taking the precautions.  Remember Toronto is the city where SARS happened.  This is why the second story came out so quickly.  There is no reason to start panic in Toronto because the hospital took precautions to make sure this was not bird flu. In Toronto with the first story they probably had people calling the hospital asking if the hospital was closed, people starting to freak.  This is exactly why they had asked the media to stop reporting on bird flu.  Mass panic!

Everyone in the states and Canada needs to get used to seeing the precautions being taken.  Yep we are going to start seeing people put in isolation, masks, etc.  They are going to ask the questions about traveling.  Soon we are going to be monitoring people in customs for fevers.  This is all very very good!  This is how we can try to keep bird flu out of the country.

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lamrobertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2008 at 5:47am
Dont' assume any kind of cover up.  Canada didn't cover up SARS.  The public was aware of what was happening.  We were informed.  I don't know if the US will be the same or has been the same in the past.  
sassy pants View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sassy pants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2008 at 6:41am

edit

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2008 at 8:42am

Dont' assume any kind of cover up.  Canada didn't cover up SARS.  The public was aware of what was happening.  We were informed.  I don't know if the US will be the same or has been the same in the past.  

To be honest, I am down with the flu today and a bit out of sorts, but I do respect your experience and down to earth grounded approach. I am getting ready, with just a little energy left for today, to do a thread in discussion I hope you will check out.  It basically is saying that as in politics we have in the Avian community far left and far right and also a little left and a little right and then kind of mainline.

Your data and posts are stabilizing and I will move my little mini discussion to discussion. We are all a team, and I like working in teams.

Medclinician
sassy pants View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sassy pants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2008 at 9:05am
 I am getting ready, with just a little energy left for today, to do a thread in discussion I hope you will check out.  It basically is saying that as in politics we have in the Avian community far left and far right and also a little left and a little right and then kind of mainline. (Quote Medclinician-)  What position is left????ConfusedSassy

Levygoddess View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Levygoddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2008 at 8:33pm
Medi, I have decided that something must be in your environment that makes you sick! You and your family seem to always be ill. Have you checked to make sure you arent living with mold spores or something? 
God put us here for a reason
LaRo View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2008 at 11:15pm
You might try cloroxing your whole house, your bedding washed in clorox, your clothes, I know you'll be worried about the color fading, but it surely can stand a half cup in the wash.  Also, your drains, put clorox in them and your toilets overnight,   If you have carpet, maybe dry clean them, Medi guy something is keeping you sick.  Give the house some breathing room if you do all this, let the windows open during the day time and do your clorox treatment on the floors and stuff in the am.   You have to get rid of whatever is knocking you out.
r we there yet?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2008 at 5:00am
Originally posted by Levygoddess Levygoddess wrote:

Medi, I have decided that something must be in your environment that makes you sick! You and your family seem to always be ill. Have you checked to make sure you arent living with mold spores or something? 

Actually, many people in this area are having similar problems and several have died.  Some people, a fair number are running temps of 104 and my married into family grandmother is in the hospital, our accountants secretary was flat for some time with violent cramps, vomiting, and liquid.. whatever, and we simply can't get any clear answers as to what is making everyone ill. My wife went down to the social worker place and only 6 people out 24 were still at work, the rest home ill.

It is possible their is some regional toxic issue, but one contact works in ER and reported 300-500 cases a week to CDC of "flu". We are a small town. This was more than in Ontario. I am headed into the hospital today to meet with another doctor and I do not know how to approach this. It does make my view a bit subjective when so many people here are ill, and some of them have multiple illnesses. Example they have good testing at one hospital and a man tested for two strain of flu and strept.

Good idea though. Thank you for the suggestion. I just want to see my own family and many others get better.

MC

waterboy View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2008 at 6:54pm
Are these two still sick?
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lamrobertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2008 at 9:04am
Nothing else appeared on the hosptial website or in the News here.  But Icame across this story that is from the beginning of MArch this morning.

Bird flu spreads in Bangladesh
2008-03-02 ( HKT 02:11)

Officials in Bangladesh say that bird flu has now spread to two-thirds of the country's districts. This is despite the culling of around a-million birds since the disease was first discovered a year ago. The authorities estimate that the problem has cost the poultry industry more than sixty-million dollars, and that nearly two million people have lost their jobs.
http://gbcode.rthk.org.hk/b5i/app2.rthk.org.hk/pda/news/content.php?id=472163
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2008 at 3:42pm
Think of all the ppl. from India that live in the USA.  They go to India to visit family, and their family in India come to the USA to visit them.  And not just India, youve got this going on in families from Viet Nam, China, and probably Indonesia too. 

ONce I had a married couple come to our clinic with flu symptoms who had been in India(during the outbreak) to visit their parents two weeks prior to their symptoms. 

Another time I had an adult son bring his father(who lives in India) into our clinic with flu symptoms. 

Lastly, I had an adult female pt. come in with flu like symptoms who had visited Gutamala(sp) two weeks prior to becoming symptomatic(and Gutamala had 200 chickens die at the time she was there which is still not yet diagnosed) 

When I cultured these pts with flu like symptoms my heart was pounding and racing as I wondered "do they have H5N1, is this how its going to go down in the USA and if their cultures do come back H5N1 +  am I going to get it since they gagged and hacked in my face during the throat culture. and  will I pass it on to my family?"  It was very creepy.

The female endied up testing +  for H3N2, the Father had H3N2, and the married couple had Influenza A(wife) and Influenza B(husband) both isolates without subtype.  Also their son had flu like symptoms but another nurse took him back and did not culture him for viral isolate.  All had temps greater than 102.0 with full blown ILIs.

I so wanted to say to these patients  "take some responsibility and stop traveling to areas that have H5N1 and esp. now that the virus has mutated and please do not let your familiy who lives in bird flu entrenched areas come over here to the USA and potentially expose you/your family,  and other Americans to this virus!" 

All of these ppl. were fully aware of bird flu when I asked them if they knew about it.  One response "Everybody knows about Birdflu"  Im like, not in the USA!

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lamrobertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2008 at 4:24pm
Yeah that is very true.  Canadian and US government has done a very very poor job on educating people.  Sometimes I feel like I am the only person in our town that has even put away any preps. Mention bird flu and people look at you like you should be wearing a  straitjacket. 

We will probably never know if this was bird flu or not.  I don't think it was though.  I did search through the obituaries for Toronto from the date of the story to yesterday's date.  Searched the hosptial name.  The deaths in those two weeks all look normal.  Cancer, old age, etc.  Nothing that even looked a little strange.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic