Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

America Confronted with Food Rationing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evergreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: America Confronted with Food Rationing
    Posted: April 21 2008 at 9:20am
Complete your preps while supplies last. This is not the first and won't be the last article on this subject. D

New York Sun
April 21, 2008 Edition

Food Rationing Confronts Breadbasket of the World
BY JOSH GERSTEIN - Staff Reporter of the Sun
April 21, 2008
URL: http://www2.nysun.com/article/74994

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. — Many parts of America, long considered the breadbasket of the world, are now confronting a once unthinkable phenomenon: food rationing. Major retailers in New York, in areas of New England, and on the West Coast are limiting purchases of flour, rice, and cooking oil as demand outstrips supply. There are also anecdotal reports that some consumers are hoarding grain stocks.

At a Costco Warehouse in Mountain View, Calif., yesterday, shoppers grew frustrated and occasionally uttered expletives as they searched in vain for the large sacks of rice they usually buy.

"Where's the rice?" an engineer from Palo Alto, Calif., Yajun Liu, said. "You should be able to buy something like rice. This is ridiculous."

The bustling store in the heart of Silicon Valley usually sells four or five varieties of rice to a clientele largely of Asian immigrants, but only about half a pallet of Indian-grown Basmati rice was left in stock. A 20-pound bag was selling for $15.99.

"You can't eat this every day. It's too heavy," a health care executive from Palo Alto, Sharad Patel, grumbled as his son loaded two sacks of the Basmati into a shopping cart. "We only need one bag but I'm getting two in case a neighbor or a friend needs it," the elder man said.

The Patels seemed headed for disappointment, as most Costco members were being allowed to buy only one bag. Moments earlier, a clerk dropped two sacks back on the stack after taking them from another customer who tried to exceed the one-bag cap.

"Due to the limited availability of rice, we are limiting rice purchases based on your prior purchasing history," a sign above the dwindling supply said.

Shoppers said the limits had been in place for a few days, and that rice supplies had been spotty for a few weeks. A store manager referred questions to officials at Costco headquarters near Seattle, who did not return calls or e-mail messages yesterday.

An employee at the Costco store in Queens said there were no restrictions on rice buying, but limits were being imposed on purchases of oil and flour. Internet postings attributed some of the shortage at the retail level to bakery owners who flocked to warehouse stores when the price of flour from commercial suppliers doubled.

The curbs and shortages are being tracked with concern by survivalists who view the phenomenon as a harbinger of more serious trouble to come.

"It's sporadic. It's not every store, but it's becoming more commonplace," the editor of SurvivalBlog.com, James Rawles, said. "The number of reports I've been getting from readers who have seen signs posted with limits has increased almost exponentially, I'd say in the last three to five weeks."

Spiking food prices have led to riots in recent weeks in Haiti, Indonesia, and several African nations. India recently banned export of all but the highest quality rice, and Vietnam blocked the signing of a new contract for foreign rice sales.

"I'm surprised the Bush administration hasn't slapped export controls on wheat," Mr. Rawles said. "The Asian countries are here buying every kind of wheat." Mr. Rawles said it is hard to know how much of the shortages are due to lagging supply and how much is caused by consumers hedging against future price hikes or a total lack of product.

"There have been so many stories about worldwide shortages that it encourages people to stock up. What most people don't realize is that supply chains have changed, so inventories are very short," Mr. Rawles, a former Army intelligence officer, said. "Even if people increased their purchasing by 20%, all the store shelves would be wiped out."

At the moment, large chain retailers seem more prone to shortages and limits than do smaller chains and mom-and-pop stores, perhaps because store managers at the larger companies have less discretion to increase prices locally. Mr. Rawles said the spot shortages seemed to be most frequent in the Northeast and all the way along the West Coast. He said he had heard reports of buying limits at Sam's Club warehouses, which are owned by Wal-Mart Stores, but a spokesman for the company, Kory Lundberg, said he was not aware of any shortages or limits.

An anonymous high-tech professional writing on an investment Web site, Seeking Alpha, said he recently bought 10 50-pound bags of rice at Costco. "I am concerned that when the news of rice shortage spreads, there will be panic buying and the shelves will be empty in no time. I do not intend to cause a panic, and I am not speculating on rice to make profit. I am just hoarding some for my own consumption," he wrote.

For now, rice is available at Asian markets in California, though consumers have fewer choices when buying the largest bags. "At our neighborhood store, it's very expensive, more than $30" for a 25-pound bag, a housewife from Mountain View, Theresa Esquerra, said. "I'm not going to pay $30. Maybe we'll just eat bread."

April 21, 2008 Edition

235365 - Energy follows thought.   As you think, so you are.
Evergreen View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evergreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2008 at 9:22am

In lean times, biotech grains are less taboo
By Andrew Pollack
The International Herald Tribune
Monday, April 21, 2008
Soaring food prices and global grain shortages are bringing new pressures on governments, food companies and consumers to relax their longstanding resistance to genetically engineered crops.

In Japan and South Korea, some manufacturers for the first time have begun buying genetically engineered corn for use in soft drinks, snacks and other foods. Until now, to avoid consumer backlash, the companies have paid extra to buy conventionally grown corn. But with prices having tripled in two years, it has become too expensive to be so finicky.

"We cannot afford it," said a corn buyer at Kato Kagaku, a Japanese maker of corn starch and corn syrup.

In the United States, wheat growers and marketers, once hesitant about adopting biotechnology because they feared losing export sales, are now warming to it as a way to bolster supplies. Genetically modified crops contain genes from other organisms to make the plants resistance to insects, herbicides or disease. Opponents continue to worry that such crops have not been studied enough and that they might pose risks to health and the environment.

"I think it's pretty clear that price and supply concerns have people thinking a little bit differently today," said Steve Mercer, a spokesman for U.S. Wheat Associates, a federally supported cooperative that promotes American wheat abroad.

The group, which once cautioned farmers about growing biotech wheat, is working to get seed companies to restart development of genetically modified wheat and to get foreign buyers to accept it.

Even in Europe, where opposition to what the Europeans call Frankenfoods has been fiercest, some prominent government officials and business executives are calling for faster approvals of imports of genetically modified crops. They are responding in part to complaints from livestock producers, who say they might suffer a critical shortage of feed if imports are not accelerated.

In Britain, the National Beef Association, which represents cattle farmers, issued a statement this month demanding that "all resistance" to such crops "be abandoned immediately in response to shifts in world demand for food, the growing danger of global food shortages and the prospect of declining domestic animal production."

The chairman of the European Parliament's agriculture committee, Neil Parish, said that as prices rise, Europeans "may be more realistic" about genetically modified crops: "Their hearts may be on the left, but their pockets are on the right."

With food riots in some countries focusing attention on how the world will feed itself, biotechnology proponents see their chance. They argue that while genetic engineering might have been deemed unnecessary when food was abundant, it will be essential for helping the world cope with the demand for food and biofuels in the decades ahead.

Through gene splicing, the modified crops now grown — mainly canola, corn, cotton and soybeans — typically contain bacterial genes that help the plants resist insects or tolerate a herbicide that can be sprayed to kill weeds while leaving the crop unscathed. Biotechnology companies are also working on crops that might need less water or fertilizer, which could have a bigger impact on improving yield.

Certainly any new receptivity to genetically modified crops would be a boon to American exporters. The United States accounted for half the world's acreage of biotech crops last year.

But substantial amounts of corn, soy or canola are grown in Argentina, Brazil and Canada. China has developed insect-resistant rice that is awaiting regulatory approval in that country.

The pressure to re-evaluate biotech comes as prices of some staples like rice and wheat have doubled in the last few months, provoking violent protests in several countries including Cameroon, Egypt, Haiti and Thailand. Factors behind the price spikes include the diversion of crops to make biofuel, rising energy prices, growing prosperity in India and China, and droughts in some regions — including Australia, a major grain producer.

Biotechnology still certainly faces obstacles. Polls in Europe do not yet show a decisive shift in consumer sentiment, and the industry has had some recent setbacks. Since the beginning of the year France has banned the planting of genetically modified corn while Germany has enacted a law allowing for foods to be labeled as "GM free."

And a new international assessment of the future of agriculture, released last Tuesday, gave such tepid support to the role genetic engineering could play in easing hunger that biotechnology industry representatives withdrew from the project in protest. The report was a collaboration of more than 60 governments, with participation from companies and nonprofit groups, under the auspices of the World Bank and the United Nations.

Hans Herren, co-chairman of the project, said providing more fertilizer to Africa would improve output much more than genetic engineering could. "What farmers really are struggling with are water issues, soil fertility issues and market access for their products," he said.

Opponents of biotechnology say they see not so much an opportunity as opportunism by its proponents to exploit the food crisis. "Where politicians and technocrats have always wanted to push GMO's, they are jumping on this bandwagon and using this as an excuse," said Helen Holder, who coordinates the campaign against biotech foods for Friends of the Earth Europe. GMO refers to genetically modified organism.

Even Michael Mack, the chief executive of the Swiss company Syngenta, an agricultural chemical and biotechnology giant, cautioned that the industry should not use the current crisis to push its agenda.

Whatever importance biotechnology can play in the long run, food shortages are making it harder for some buyers to avoid engineered crops.

The main reason some Japanese and South Korean makers of corn starch and corn sweeteners are buying biotech corn is that they have dwindling alternatives. Their main supplier is the United States, where 75 percent of corn grown last year was genetically modified, up from 40 percent in 2003.

"We cannot get hold of non-GM corn nowadays," said Yoon Chang-gyu, director of the Korean Corn Processing Industry Association.

But the tightening global supply has made it harder to get nonengineered corn from elsewhere. And as corn prices soar, millers and food companies are less able to pay the surcharge to keep nonengineered corn separate from biotech varieties. The surcharge itself has been rising.

Yoon said non-engineered corn cost Korean millers about $450 a metric ton, up from $143 in 2006. Genetically engineered corn costs about $350 a ton.

In Europe, livestock producers say that regulations on genetically modified crops could choke feed supplies at a time when they are already reeling from higher prices. Even after a new genetically engineered variety is approved for growing in the United States, it might take several years for Europe to approve it for import.

Moreover, European rules require an entire shipment of grain to be turned back if it contains even a trace of an unapproved variety. Such a problem last year disrupted exports of corn gluten, a feed product, from the United States to Europe.

Feed makers and livestock producers want faster approvals and a relaxation of the rules to allow for trace amounts of unapproved varieties in shipments.

Even in the United States, where genetically engineered food has been generally accepted, the wheat industry has had to rethink its reluctance to accept biotech varieties.

Because about half of America's wheat crop is exported, farmers and processors feared foreign buyers would reject their products. Facing resistance from American farmers, Monsanto in 2004 suspended development of what would have been the first genetically modified wheat.

But some farmers and millers now say that the lack of genetically engineered wheat has made growing the grain less attractive than growing corn or soybeans. That has, in turn, contributed to shrinking supplies and rising prices for wheat.

Milling & Baking News, an influential trade newspaper in Kansas City, Missouri, said in an editorial that companies that used wheat were now paying the price for their own "hesitancy, if not outright opposition" to biotechnology.
www.iht.com
inthesticks View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inthesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2008 at 3:42pm
For what its worth...tonight's episode of Glenn Beck on CNN, will be talking about the food shortages and rationing in parts of our nation.  I will have to watch to see what he says.

I don't like the looks of what is happening now with our food supplies.  Our govt. really needs to seriously contemplate limiting or stopping the exportation of excess wheat, rice and other food stock items.

Fortunately here in the rice capital of the world...Arkansas (home of Riceland Rice)...I've not yet seen any shortages of food items, except that last week at Kroger, I did notice the flour aisle was a bit lean on some flours and cornmeals.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2008 at 4:01pm
We have not seen any shortages in Colorado. All the stores are filled and the Sams and Costco have lots also.

However, now that Glenn Beck puts it on TV all the stores will be cleaned out. Just like Oprah one time she had a food show and the next day you could not find any of the ingredients in any of the stores. A few days later everything was back to normal.

The U.S. needs to make sure we have food enough for our people and sell the excess. Heck it is time we make sure we are ok. Like my old Mama says, "If you don't take care of yourself you can't take care of anyone else."

The world depends on our "bread basket" and we had better make sure it is producing.
Gexydaf View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gexydaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2008 at 9:58pm
In someways the sentence that bothered me the most was

""Due to the limited availability of rice, we are limiting rice purchases based on your prior purchasing history," a sign above the dwindling supply said."

Really?  They are tracking our purchases that carefully?  Geez.  So, what I'm hearing is that somewhere there is a record of me stocking up on food.  It is right there on my store record, next to my address.  Ouch

Good post, Evergreen
Dave in OK View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in OK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2008 at 6:04am
If you buy stuff at one of these "membership" clubs you can bet they know exactly what you purchased and when you purchased it. They know where to go to get their rice back. Be carefull. Also watch these member cards from your local grocery store.
quietprepr View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quietprepr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2008 at 6:18am
I went to the costco near my house last night and they had signs limiting your purchase of rice. So of course I bought my limit! There were people lined up in that aisle to get it, probably reacting to the news of a shortage rather than serious need or prepping. As for tracking your purchases...any store with a "club card" is definitely tracking your purchases. That way they target their advertising better. Also, stores have databases that can track your purchases by name...they get it from your credit/debit card. The only real way to avoid it is to shop where there is no membership and pay cash.
"Learning is not compulsory... neither is survival." - W. Edwards Deming
Evergreen View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evergreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2008 at 9:06am
Originally posted by Gexydaf Gexydaf wrote:

Good post, Evergreen

Thanks Gexydaf. I know what you mean. I'm posting below because of the reference to a 1974 UN Security Council study, adopted as official policy in November 1975 by President Gerald Ford, NSSM 200 outlining a covert plan to reduce population growth in those countries through birth control, and also, implicitly, war and famine. Brent Scowcroft, who had by then replaced Kissinger as national security adviser (the same post Scowcroft was to hold in the Bush administration), was put in charge of implementing the plan. CIA Director George Bush was ordered to assist Scowcroft, as were the secretaries of state, treasury, defense, and agriculture. This is pretty scary stuff. Would someone research NSSM 200. D

Food Shortages Or Globalist Depopulation Agenda?
Kurt Nimmo
Infowars
April 21, 2008Posted By admin On April 21, 2008 @ 4:44 pm

In an article posted on the Hindustan Times website, N. Chandra Mohan cites Mark Thirwell, Director of the International Economy Program at the Lowy Institute for International Policy in Sydney, Australia. “This is not the first time in modern economic history that the Malthusian spectre of global food shortages has stalked the world economy," writes Thirwell. “Surges in food prices in the 1970s and then again in the mid-1990s both prompted warnings that agricultural capacity was failing to keep pace with a growing world population. Each time the prices jumped, it proved to be temporary as supply responded.” Mr. Mohan believes, this time around, there will be no supply ready to respond. He links this dire situation to "policy neglect of agriculture" and "climate and environmental degradation."

In addition to "climate change," Mohan blames the failures of capitalism — described as "supply-side responses" to market forces — and the "absence of technological breakthroughs in terms of higher yields from new varieties of paddy, wheat and maize." In other words, the current food shortages around the world are the result of corporate ineptitude and due to the vagaries of weather, supposedly exacerbated by man-made "climate change."

Is it possible the current food crisis is part of an intentional plan, indeed Malthusian, as Thirwell writes? Is it possible supposedly man-made "climate change" and the "food crisis" are components of a sinister depopulation agenda designed to cull the herd down to a manageable level, as proclaimed on the mysterious Georgia Guidestones? ("Maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with nature.")

In order to understand how these twin menaces — increasingly hyped by the corporate media — may indeed be part of a depopulation agenda, we repost here an article by Joseph Brewda, originally published in the Executive Intelligence Review:

Kissinger’s 1974 Plan for Food Control Genocide

On Dec. 10, 1974, the U.S. National Security Council under Henry Kissinger completed a classified 200-page study, "National Security Study Memorandum 200: Implications of Worldwide Population Growth for U.S. Security and Overseas Interests." The study falsely claimed that population growth in the so-called Lesser Developed Countries (LDCs) was a grave threat to U.S. national security. Adopted as official policy in November 1975 by President Gerald Ford, NSSM 200 outlined a covert plan to reduce population growth in those countries through birth control, and also, implicitly, war and famine. Brent Scowcroft, who had by then replaced Kissinger as national security adviser (the same post Scowcroft was to hold in the Bush administration), was put in charge of implementing the plan. CIA Director George Bush was ordered to assist Scowcroft, as were the secretaries of state, treasury, defense, and agriculture.

The bogus arguments that Kissinger advanced were not original. One of his major sources was the Royal Commission on Population, which King George VI had created in 1944 "to consider what measures should be taken in the national interest to influence the future trend of population." The commission found that Britain was gravely threatened by population growth in its colonies, since "a populous country has decided advantages over a sparsely-populated one for industrial production." The combined effects of increasing population and industrialization in its colonies, it warned, "might be decisive in its effects on the prestige and influence of the West," especially effecting "military strength and security."

NSSM 200 similarly concluded that the United States was threatened by population growth in the former colonial sector. It paid special attention to 13 "key countries" in which the United States had a "special political and strategic interest": India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Indonesia, Thailand, the Philippines, Turkey, Nigeria, Egypt, Ethiopia, Mexico, Brazil, and Colombia. It claimed that population growth in those states was especially worrisome, since it would quickly increase their relative political, economic, and military strength.

For example, Nigeria: "Already the most populous country on the continent, with an estimated 55 million people in 1970, Nigeria’s population by the end of this century is projected to number 135 million. This suggests a growing political and strategic role for Nigeria, at least in Africa." Or Brazil: "Brazil clearly dominated the continent demographically." The study warned of a "growing power status for Brazil in Latin America and on the world scene over the next 25 years."

Food as a weapon

There were several measures that Kissinger advocated to deal with this alleged threat, most prominently, birth control and related population-reduction programs. He also warned that "population growth rates are likely to increase appreciably before they begin to decline," even if such measures were adopted.

A second measure was curtailing food supplies to targetted states, in part to force compliance with birth control policies: "There is also some established precedent for taking account of family planning performance in appraisal of assistance requirements by AID [U.S. Agency for International Development] and consultative groups. Since population growth is a major determinant of increases in food demand, allocation of scarce PL 480 resources should take account of what steps a country is taking in population control as well as food production. In these sensitive relations, however, it is important in style as well as substance to avoid the appearance of coercion."

"Mandatory programs may be needed and we should be considering these possibilities now," the document continued, adding, "Would food be considered an instrument of national power? … Is the U.S. prepared to accept food rationing to help people who can’t/won’t control their population growth?"

Kissinger also predicted a return of famines that could make exclusive reliance on birth control programs unnecessary. "Rapid population growth and lagging food production in developing countries, together with the sharp deterioration in the global food situation in 1972 and 1973, have raised serious concerns about the ability of the world to feed itself adequately over the next quarter of century and beyond," he reported.

The cause of that coming food deficit was not natural, however, but was a result of western financial policy: "Capital investments for irrigation and infrastucture and the organization requirements for continuous improvements in agricultural yields may be beyond the financial and administrative capacity of many LDCs. For some of the areas under heaviest population pressure, there is little or no prospect for foreign exchange earnings to cover constantly increasingly imports of food."

"It is questionable," Kissinger gloated, "whether aid donor countries will be prepared to provide the sort of massive food aid called for by the import projections on a long-term continuing basis." Consequently, "large-scale famine of a kind not experienced for several decades—a kind the world thought had been permanently banished," was foreseeable—famine, which has indeed come to pass.

This globalist "return of famines" would not be possible without the participation of multinational corporations. The elite, writes Richard Freeman for the Intelligence Review, are in the process of applying "a tourniquet to food production and export supplies, not only to poor nations, but to advanced sector nations as well." Of course, this would not be possible without the cartelization of agricultural, now known as "agribusiness." Freeman elaborates:

The Windsors’ Global Food Cartel: Instrument for Starvation

Ten to twelve pivotal companies, assisted by another three dozen, run the world’s food supply. They are the key components of the Anglo-Dutch-Swiss food cartel, which is grouped around Britain’s House of Windsor. Led by the six leading grain companies—Cargill, Continental, Louis Dreyfus, Bunge and Born, André, and Archer Daniels Midland/Töpfer—the Windsor-led food and raw materials cartel has complete domination over world cereals and grains supplies, from wheat to corn and oats, from barley to sorghum and rye. But it also controls meat, dairy, edible oils and fats, fruits and vegetables, sugar, and all forms of spices.

Each year tens of millions die from the most elementary lack of their daily bread. This is the result of the work of the Windsor-led cartel. And, as the ongoing financial collapse wipes out bloated speculative financial paper, the oligarchy has moved into hoarding, increasing its food and raw materials holdings. It is prepared to apply a tourniquet to food production and export supplies, not only to poor nations, but to advanced sector nations as well.

The use of food as a weapon can be found at least four millennia ago in Babylon. Imperial Rome took this tack, as did Venice and various Venetian offshoots, including the Antwerp-centered, powerful Burgundian duchy, and the Dutch and British Levant companies, East India companies, and West India companies. Today, food warfare is firmly under the control of London, with the help of subordinate partners in especially Switzerland and Amsterdam. Today’s food companies were created by having had a section of this ancient set of Mesopotamian-Roman-Venetian-British food networks and infrastructure carved out for them.

The Windsor-led oligarchy has built up a single, integrated raw materials cartel, with three divisions—energy, raw materials and minerals, and increasingly scarce food supplies. Figure 1 represents the situation. At the top is the House of Windsor and Club of the Isles. Right below are two of the principal appurtenances of the House of Windsor: the World Wide Fund for Nature, headed by the Doge of London, Prince Philip, which leads the world in orchestration of ethnic conflict and terrorism, such as the British-created afghansi movement; and British intelligence’s Hollinger Corp. of Conrad Black, which is leading the assault to destroy Bill Clinton and the American Presidency.

The firms within each cartel group are listed. While they maintain the legal fiction of being different corporate organizations, in reality this is one interlocking syndicate, with a common purpose and multiple overlapping boards of directors. The Windsor-centered oligarchy owns these cartels, and they are the instruments of power of the oligarchy, accumulated over centuries, for breaking nations’ sovereignty.

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quietprepr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2008 at 9:17am
Fascinating Evergreen!
BoJingles2 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoJingles2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2008 at 10:00am
Here i thought you guys have been over reading the situation for the last several weeks. How the heck can America the bread basket of the world have a food shortage. Now I understand after listening to Glen Beck. It was pointed out that due to the devalue of the dollar, foreign interests are puchasing our crops.

Conspiracy Theory: I wonder if one the day the UN will demand that all crops be placed under there control so they can ration it out to the World.
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quietprepr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2008 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by BoJingles2 BoJingles2 wrote:

Here i thought you guys have been over reading the situation for the last several weeks. How the heck can America the bread basket of the world have a food shortage. Now I understand after listening to Glen Beck. It was pointed out that due to the devalue of the dollar, foreign interests are puchasing our crops.

Conspiracy Theory: I wonder if one the day the UN will demand that all crops be placed under there control so they can ration it out to the World.
They probably could not pull that off unless there was mass starvation in alot of first world countries. People don't want to give up rights and freedoms unless they think you are saving them from something. Then they will line up to submit.....
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2008 at 2:21pm
And Americans by and large have a very large and very warranted distrust of anything resembling a foreign power on our soil, especially the utterly corrupt UN.
johngardner1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 4:05am
I don't have a costco membership, but prices are on sale here in Seattle. No rationing, no shortage. 
I am not a prophet
Evergreen View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evergreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 3:03pm

Reuters
3-Wal-Mart's Sam's Club limits rice purchases
Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:12pm EDT

By Nicole Maestri

NEW YORK, April 23 (Reuters) - Wal-Mart Stores Inc's (WMT.N: Quote, Profile, Research) Sam's Club warehouse division said on Wednesday it is limiting sales of several types of rice, the latest sign that fears of a rice shortage are rippling around the world.

Sam's Club, the No. 2 U.S. warehouse club operator, said it is limiting sales of Jasmine, Basmati and long grain white rice "due to recent supply and demand trends."

U.S. rice futures hitting an all-time high Wednesday on worries about supply shortages.

On Tuesday, Costco Wholesale Corp (COST.O: Quote, Profile, Research), the largest U.S. warehouse club operator, said it has seen increased demand for items like rice and flour as customers, worried about global food shortages and rising prices, stock up.

Sam's Club, the No. 2 U.S. warehouse club operator, is limiting sales of the 20-pound (9 kg), bulk bags of rice to four bags per customer per visit, and is working with suppliers to ensure the products remain in stock.

Warehouse clubs cater to individual shoppers as well as small businesses and restaurant owners looking to buy cheaper, bulk goods.

With prices for basic food items surging, customers have been going to the clubs to try to save money on bulk sizes of everything from pasta to cooking oil and rice.

Sam's Club said the large-sized bags of rice subject to the limits are typically purchased by its restaurant owner or food service customers.

Sam's Club said is not limiting sales of flour or cooking oil at this time. Costco said some of its stores have put limits on sales of items such as rice and flour, but it was trying to modify those restrictions to meet customer demand.

Costco Chief Executive James Sinegal told Reuters that he believed the recent surge in demand was being driven by media reports about rising global demand and shortages of basic food items in some countries.

Food costs have soared worldwide, spurred by increased demand in emerging markets like China and India; competition with biofuels; high oil prices and market speculation.

The situation has sparked food riots in several African countries, Indonesia, and Haiti. United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has warned that higher food prices could hurt global growth and security.

Rice prices have risen 68 percent since the start of 2008.

Trade bans on rice have been put in place by India, the world's second largest exporter in 2007, and Vietnam, the third biggest, in hopes of cooling domestic prices. Rice is a staple in most of Asia.

On Tuesday, Tim Johnson, president-CEO of California Rice Commission, which represents growers and millers of rice in the state, said: "Bottom line, there is no rice shortage in the United States. We have supplies."

Wal-Mart shares were up 0.4 percent to $56.80 in afternoon trading, while Costco shares rose 1.7 percent to $69.26. (Reporting by Nicole Maestri, editing by Jeffrey Benkoe and Tim Dobbyn)
Evergreen View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evergreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 3:07pm

UPDATE 1-Brazil suspends rice exports to contain prices
Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:55pm EDT

SAO PAULO, April 23 (Reuters) - Brazil temporarily suspended rice exports to safeguard domestic supply and keep prices of the basic foodstuff stable, the agriculture ministry said on Wednesday.

"Brazil is self-sufficient in rice production and there is a small amount that exceeds local demand, but in order to safeguard supply in the next six to eight months between harvests, exports are suspended," Agriculture Minister Reinhold Stephanes said in a statement.

The government also plans to sell rice from its own stockpiles in coming days "to prevent a surge in prices," the statement said. Brazil has 1.6 million tonnes of rice in government warehouses.

Brazil followed on the steps of India and Vietnam, the world's second- and third-largest rice exporters in 2007, in imposing export curbs of rice in a bid to keep prices of the grain under control. Brazil, which is not a major global rice supplier, exported 313,000 tonnes of rice last year.

(Reporting by Elzio Barreto; Editing by David Gregorio)
starspirit View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 2:41pm
Sam's and Costco in Kansas City area are limiting rice.
Evergreen View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evergreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 3:40pm
thanks, Albert, for making this "sticky". I think having a food rationing site might be a good idea for the next six months or so.

For anyone who would like to research this, one of my coworkers recently came back from the mid-west and says there are huge grain silos full of wheat, etc. With this much surplus, why is there rationing? Are there great surpluses of grain and why isn't it being channeled into the market? D
PrepGirl View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrepGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 3:55pm
Demoulas in the east coast of massachusetts has a rationing of flour, oil, and rice.
Freind of mines from works mom went to buy those items yesterday.  And they told me she could only buy so many.
PrepGirl
PrepGirl View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrepGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 4:35pm
Update.............Toilet paper and paper products like kleenex and paper towels are skyrocking in price.  Not sure why but my sister went to buy these items and she said that bulk package of toliet paper has risen from 16.oo to 22..00 in one month...

Also meat prices are outrageous...

She just came back from bj's in eastern massachusetts

She is reporting to me that the rice pallet that is usually stacked sky high only had 3 bags of rice on it.  They had 100 lb bags and 25 pound bags....  She said it was unusually empty......than what she is normal use to seeing...

She notice that hot dogs rolls where 3 or 4 dollars a pack....And that was unusually high priced...

Shaws a local store had lots of oil, pasta, cheese mac, crackers, cereal was on sale

She said those items was a good deal.

Cereal she got 2 boxs for five dollars usually 4 dollars a box.

So all i can say is shop wisely..........there may still be some bargains out there...

PrepGirl
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Evergreen Evergreen wrote:

thanks, Albert, for making this "sticky". I think having a food rationing site might be a good idea for the next six months or so.

For anyone who would like to research this, one of my coworkers recently came back from the mid-west and says there are huge grain silos full of wheat, etc. With this much surplus, why is there rationing? Are there great surpluses of grain and why isn't it being channeled into the market? D

Much of our grain has been sold overseas. The grain you see in the silos may be sold and just waiting to be shipped out of the U.S.

Welcome to the New World Order folks.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 5:28pm
Though I would post this here it is informative for this area:
johngardner1 Members Profile
Find Members Posts
Moderator Group

Online Status: Online
Quote johngardner1   Quote Reply Posted: Today at 7:12pm
I don't see any shortages here in washington state, in fact things are on sale regularly. Will keep you posted.
Littleraven View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Littleraven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 7:31pm
I don't have a source  other than from the horse's mouth so to speak-----My husband who was recently out in Arkansas and knows a few of the large farmers out there told him that there is definately a shortage in the real sense of the word and that it was going to get worse.  The grains which are in reserves---much of it is being exported to other countries and due to the bad weather they have been experiencing --the crops will be in bad shape.  Many of the fields have suffered from  flooding etc...  They can't get their equipment into many areas to plant anything.  They said it was a mess and that even the rice fields have to be prepared.  They say many of next years crops will not keep up with the demand, 
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 8:15pm
Oak Harbor, WA, where my daughter lives, the Walmart there is out of rice she bought the last bag today.
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inthesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 10:40pm

As long as you don't use a membership card or store savings card, and you pay in cash or check...stores cannot compel you to purchase only the "limit" per customer.  You can just make seperate visits to the stores, purchasing the "limit" with each trip.

The only way they can force you to comply to limits, is if the govt. hands out ration cards, which you MUST present to cashiers at the stores to purchase limited items.  The cards would probably be stamped or run through a computer scan, so as to thwart you from getting around the rationing.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by inthesticks inthesticks wrote:

The only way they can force you to comply to limits, is if the govt. hands out ration cards, which you MUST present to cashiers at the stores to purchase limited items.  The cards would probably be stamped or run through a computer scan, so as to thwart you from getting around the rationing.
SHUuuuuuuuu, quiet, don't give the government any ideas, shuuuuuuuuSleepy
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 11:32pm
Hate to tell you Annie, the government already knows how to ration. They did it in WWII and all they needed was paper then, now they have better ways to track us.

The biggest problem is the government is very slow and by the time they could implement a plan the shortages will be over. That is the good news.

cgh18 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cgh18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2008 at 5:06am
   Hi, At my local Price -rite , they seem to have the shelves very full, lots of rice and oils as well as canned good. The 2 stores in the nearby city are relatively new to the area. I think this is a good way for PRite to attract new customers with lots of items at comparitively low prices. The premium Thai white elephant rice was 16$ for 20lbs, long grain was 10$.

J. Kramer was on TV saying stocking up on food is foolish, But all if all you have is ,say, 20$ to invest, I think food or gas will out pace his picks handily. It will go up in value and save you driving around to pick up items later, Plus it could save you a long time in line during a panic. Luckily at P rite the cupboards aren't bare!
cgh
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quietprepr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2008 at 7:10am
Originally posted by FluMom FluMom wrote:

Originally posted by Evergreen Evergreen wrote:

Much of our grain has been sold overseas. The grain you see in the silos may be sold and just waiting to be shipped out of the U.S.

Welcome to the New World Order folks.

As the dollar falls in value the foreign purchase of our commodities will only increase. It's cheaper than ever to buy here and take it overseas. You just hope somewhere somebody is keeping track to make sure we keep enough to meet our own domestic needs.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2008 at 9:02am
Originally posted by FluMom FluMom wrote:

Hate to tell you Annie, the government already knows how to ration. They did it in WWII and all they needed was paper then, now they have better ways to track us. The biggest problem is the government is very slow and by the time they could implement a plan the shortages will be over. That is the good news.
Yes, you are right thank you FluMom, I was aware of rationing but my humor was a bit weak. What I did not know was how much and all of what was rationed. I found an interesting article of what was done in Britian. http://www.wartimememories.co.uk/rationing.html I posted the full article under a separate topic so as not to loose the purpose of this excellant sticky.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2008 at 3:18pm
Denver Suburbs today:

Costco - No Ration Notices - Had 1/2 Pallet of 50 lb bags long grain rice plus a full pallet up top.

Saw 2 Asian gentlmen with 6 of those 50 lb bags in line to purchse, 1 Asian woman with 50 lb bag of rice and 25 lb bag of flour, 1 non Asian woman with 50 lb bag of rice. The only reason I noted the fact that some of these people are Asian is that the one woman may purchase that much rice on a regular basis because Asians eat a lot of rice. The two Asian gentlemen may have a restrauant or they are sending rice to family overseas. No matter Costco was not out of rice.

Sams - Had ration notice of limit of 4 bags Basmati, long grain or Jasmine. Had out of bags of 25 lb long grain, 1/2 pallet of 50 lb long grain, 1/2 pallet each 20-25 lb Basmati and Jasmine. No rice above in storage.

Did not notice many people buying rice at Sams.

So at this point we have rice. I still believe that when people read about a shortage they run out and buy some even though they many not need any.

Plenty of flour at Sams and Costco.

Looks like were ok here so far.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2008 at 4:45pm
I went to the store today and directly noticed that there was plenty of rice on the shelves.  I did not go to the bread section, nor did I look specifically for flour.  Lots of food items on sale and the shelves were fully stocked with the rice, but not bags of rice just the little single-meal boxes.

Why would you post my profile?
I am not a prophet
AZMOM View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZMOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2008 at 7:41pm
Phoenix Metro Area - No rice at my Wal-Mart today. Shelf was bare!
hachiban08 View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hachiban08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2008 at 10:45pm
What's up with  the rice rations? =o
Be prepared! It may be time....^_^v
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inthesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2008 at 11:26pm
Places like Arkansas, well beyond the West or East Coasts, will not feel the effects of rice rationing...at least not for awhile.  Arkansas is the Rice Capital of the World, with Riceland Rice the daddy gorilla of all things rice.

The usual grocery stores don't carry large sacks of rice and such...only consumer size bags...mainly Riceland, Mahatma, and store brand.

Geez, I cannot imagine buying 40# bags of rice...I don't think I'd eat that much rice in my lifetime. Tongue
flowerchild View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flowerchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2008 at 4:08am
I saw the shelves almost half way cleaned out of rice at my local meijers.  Also, more than half of the dried beans were gone.  Which is unusual, because I swear those same beans have been sitting on that shelf for a year.  My son would eat rice and only rice every day if I let him.  He isn't a picky eater, it is just his favorite food.  Whenever we would go  out to our local Korean restaurant, he would eat all the rice out of the buffet. The owner used to come out and tease him.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2008 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by flowerchild flowerchild wrote:

I saw the shelves almost half way cleaned out of rice at my local meijers.  Also, more than half of the dried beans were gone.  Which is unusual, because I swear those same beans have been sitting on that shelf for a year.  My son would eat rice and only rice every day if I let him.  He isn't a picky eater, it is just his favorite food.  Whenever we would go  out to our local Korean restaurant, he would eat all the rice out of the buffet. The owner used to come out and tease him.

flowerchild, are you in California? It is helpful to know which state you are in.   
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2008 at 3:49pm
inthesticks, I agree with you, the 3 of us go through 5 lbs of rice a year that is a lot. We are potato and pasta people, but the rice "shortage" is something we all need to watch.

This is a preview of how stores and the "powers that be" handle a shortage. So far they have been reasonable. Many people are purchasing rice to send to family overseas where there is a real big shortage. Rice is the staple of Asia, they live off rice so this is serious to them.

LOL, I think many people are just buying large amounts of rice because they are hearing of a shortage. They will have this rice for 5 years!
flowerchild View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flowerchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2008 at 4:13pm
I am in Michigan.
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2008 at 4:53pm
A shortage of rice doesn't mean a famine in America.  I almost never eat it.  Everything is either regular price or on sale here in washingtons state.  Just because one product is being rationed is not cause for alarm.
I am not a prophet
Suzi View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2008 at 6:52pm
It's a pyramid and grains are the base. When there are problems at the base everything above is in trouble.
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2008 at 6:49am
Originally posted by johngardner1 johngardner1 wrote:

A shortage of rice doesn't mean a famine in America.  I almost never eat it.  Everything is either regular price or on sale here in washingtons state.  Just because one product is being rationed is not cause for alarm.

I was wondering why your profile was posted as well! What was up with that one?

A shortage of rice could very well mean a shortage of other staple foods in America. I have a tendency to eat rice all the time, but that's because I have a tendency to head over to the asian food restaraunts quite often, Korean and Vietnamese are my favorites. Chinese in the US is way too bastardized and is horrible unhealthy. I picked up a ten pound bag of the basmati rice a couple days ago, that'll last me quite a long time. I think I'll install an "overdrive" setting on my rice cooker.

Anyway, with a shortage of rice the likes of which they're talking about in Asia, and the obvious shortage of corn and wheat in the US there is huge pressure on the market for these food sources. With a rice shortage, they'll start eating more corn and wheat, and it's not like we're not wolfing down rice here either, so we're putting added pressure on the wheat and corn markets too. This has driven the prices for a bushel of wheat astoundingly higher! In one day during February the price for a bushel of wheat jumped more than a bushel was selling for the day before! Corn and rice have closely followed suit.

Now with our record food prices, the collapse of our money, and oil prices soaring, all I can see is this getting worse. The UN said that upwards of thirty countries are going to go the way of Haiti, a civil war, if food and energy prices keep going the way they have been. If it keeps going further, even China might collapse into turmoil. They're having trouble feeding the people they've got NOW! Imagine them trying to feed them all when oil is fifty dollars higher (which isn't unimaginable with the new forecasts) and all staple food prices are considerably higher.

If anything, these crises in energy and food have shown us all exactly how connected everything really is.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2008 at 6:59am
Originally posted by Turboguy Turboguy wrote:

[If it keeps going further, even China might collapse into turmoil. They're having trouble feeding the people they've got NOW! Imagine them trying to feed them all when oil is fifty dollars higher (which isn't unimaginable with the new forecasts) and all staple food prices are considerably higher.

china would be forced into going after the middle east oil fields before they would go
into
turmoil.
china needs this pipeline to go threw iran 
that is why they bulit this one.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazakhstan-China_oil_pipeline

jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2008 at 11:30am
I've started working on my dry preps again (I have some more mylar bags on the way). I picked up the last two 20lb bags of rice at my local Albertsons in the early part of last week, but when I went into the Smart and Final near work on Friday, they had shelves full of rice. I decided to drive in the following day and pick some up, but when I swung by on the way home yesterday the shelves were bare except for a 50lb bag of extra fancy long grain rice, and a couple of 10lb bags of parboiled. I grabbed the 50 lb bag, and 25 lbs of flour. The lady at the checkout gave me a dirty look - I'm sure they're seeing a lot of people in the past week hoarding purely because it's been on the news.  Gives you an insight into how it would go in the days and weeks following an outbreak of pandemic flu though, doesn't it?  
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2008 at 2:41pm
Many of us do not eat that much rice and many who are purchasing all this rice won't eat it before it goes bad. Most of these people do not know how to either vacuum pack it,mylar bag it or even put it in containers.

But you are correct that this is what it will look like in a pademic. I will also be adding to my long term preps in the next 2 months. It is planting time and I need my money to go to vegis I can dry right now.

Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johngardner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2008 at 4:19pm
I think that the entire situation is overblown.  Bread as a staple?  You might as well feed your cows straw instead of hay.  There is no nutritional value in bread.  I see prices exactly the same, neither going up from the cost of oil (seattle is expensive with gas compared to the average state) nor being rationed in any way.  Maybe what we're seeing isn't a decrease in the amount of rice, so much as an increase in demand and the stores haven't adapted yet.
I am not a prophet
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic