Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Russia, Georgia, Ukraine, BLK Sea Area

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2009 at 2:20pm

File:Baku%20pipelines.svg

Sangachal Terminal

Sangachal Terminal covers an area of 500 square km, which makes it one of the world's

largest oil and gas terminals, and consists of two main parts: the Early Oil Project (EOP)

and Sangachal Terminal Expansion Programme (STEP).

EOP terminal has been constructed to process, store and export oil from the Chirag

offshore field in the Caspian (the so-called Early Oil Project). The EOP terminal houses 4

crude oil storage tanks - 25,500 cubic metres each and can process, store and export

in excess of 6 million tonnes of crude oil per year.

STEP is the part of the terminal which has been expanded to receive, store and process oil from Azeri and Deepwater Gunashli sections of the Azeri - Chirag - Guneshli field and gas from the Shah Deniz field. It houses a number of facilities including 3 crude oil storage tanks with 880,000 barrels capacity each.

Sangachal terminal also hosts two critical facilities for the Baku - Tbilisi - Ceyhan oil pipeline: the head pump station and the control room. The latter monitors the entire pipeline and can detect problems and isolate the necessary pipeline sections across all three countries.

BP is the operator of the terminal.

Community

About half of the people employed at the terminal are local residents from adjacent

villages and towns.

article here.

One of the world's largest integrated oil and gas processing terminals

Located 55km south of Baku, the Sangachal Terminal is a vital link in Azerbaijan's oil and

gas industry.

Terminal Expansion Programme (STEP) is being realized in

Azerbaijan at full stretch.

12 May 2009

BP Azerbaijan reports that at Sangachal work is currently focused on completion and

commissioning of the produced water facilities as part of the STEP.

"In 2008 we finalised the design, delivered the required equipment to Baku and completed

the early phases –1-3 - of the project. Phase 4 was handed over to operations in February

this year with Phase 5 well under way to be operational this summer or in early 3rd

quarter of 2009," the Company says.

article here-

Russia, Georgia, Ukraine, BLK Sea Area by Mary008

Medclinician View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2009 at 3:25pm
Mary- why are you mass posting this data. Is there a theme here?

Med
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2009 at 6:15pm
File:Baku%20pipelines.svg

Map of the existing and planned oil and gas pipelines from Baku

At present, Erzurum is the ending point of the South Caucasus Pipeline,
(map at top name... Erzurum over letter K in Turkey )

which is also called the Baku-Tbilisi-Erzurum (BTE) pipeline. Erzurum will also be the starting point of the planned Nabucco pipeline which will carry natural gas from the Caspian Sea basin to the European Union member states.

The intergovernmental agreement between Turkey, Romania, Bulgaria, Hungary and Austria to build the Nabucco pipeline was signed by five Prime Ministers on 13 July 2009 in Ankara.[10][11] The European Union was represented at the ceremony by the President of the European Commission Jose Manuel Barroso and the Commissioner for Energy Andris Piebalgs,

while the United States was represented by the Special Envoy for Eurasian Energy Richard Morningstar and the Ranking Member of the United States Senate Committee on Foreign Relations Senator Richard Lugar.[12][13]

Georgia is developing into an international transport corridor through Batumi and Poti ports, an oil pipeline from Baku through Tbilisi to Ceyhan, the Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan pipeline (BTC) and a parallel gas pipeline,

the South Caucasus Pipeline.
wikipedia

South Caucasus Pipeline carries 17 million cubic feet of gas per day

Baku, Fineko/abc.az. Volumes of pumping via South Caucasus Pipeline (SCP) designed to export gas from Shah Deniz field in Azerbaijani sector of the Caspian, reduced.

BP Azerbaijan informs SCP throughput during the first half of 2009 was 99,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day (17 million cubic meters per day) versus 133.5 million barrels of oil equivalent per day (1.97 million cubic meters per day).

“In the first half of 2009, our capital expenditure on the project totaled $1 million. In 2009, capital expenditure on SCP project is expected to make up $15 million,” it was informed. In 2008 BP spent $22 million in capital expenditures on SCP activities.

In 2008 average SCP throughput was equivalent to 19.8 million cubic meters of Shah Deniz gas per day.

Link

Beautiful photos of Erzurum Turkey...

Russia, Georgia, Ukraine, BLK Sea Area by Mary008
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2009 at 6:15pm
.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tbilis_view11.jpg
File:Tbilis%20view11.jpg

Tbilisi
        by  Gia Gvilava

Georgian Language and Culture

Russia, Georgia, Ukraine, BLK Sea Area  By  Mary008
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2009 at 2:23pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Donbass_Arena.jpg
File:Donbass%20Arena.jpg
Magnificent- Donbass Arena, Ukraine   photo by Elparadiso19

Putin sees fresh Ukraine gas problems 

Friday, 30 October, 2009, 12:31 GMT

Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said on Friday that Ukrainian President Viktor

Yushchenko risked provoking a new gas crisis that could disrupt supplies to Europe.

Mary008

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2009 at 2:33pm
File:Norilsk%20L7%2020010809.jpg

False-color image of w:Norilsk, Siberia, Russia.

Shades of pink and purple indicate bare ground: rock formations, cities, quarries, and places where pollution has damaged the vegetation.

Brilliant greens show predominately healthy mixed tundra-boreal forest.

Water appears in shades of blue.

The Noril'skaya River cuts through the scene, and the forest-tundra terrain on either side is

riddled with small "pothole" lakes. Blue-white plumes of smoke (just left of image center)

drift southeastward from smokestacks in Noril'sk.

The deep and pale pinks downwind of the city, as well as the deep purple in the hillsides

immediately outside Noril'sk, are moderately to severely damaged ecosystems. To the

northeast of the river, the ecosystems appear healthier.

A large coal quarry, one of the sources of electricity in Noril'sk, appears as a purple patch

south of the city of Kayerkan.

Date 9 August 2001

...........................................................................................................................................

Yahoofinance.com

STILLWATER MNG CO   (NYSE: SWC)
After Hours:       6.20
........................................................................................................................

Russia's Norilsk Nickel Mine owns  52% of Stillwater.

Norilsk Nickel Mine appoints five of the nine Stillwater board members.
.........................................................................................................................

WSJ

October 30, 2009, 4:25 PM ET

Big Sky Showdown: Russia Inc. vs. USA Inc.

By Michael Corkery

Politicians like to cast issues in black and white.

But there is an interesting wrinkle in the political spat over General Motors’ plans to sever

ties with a precious-metals supplier based in Montana.

Article Here-

Russia, Georgia, Ukraine, BLK Sea Area by  Mary008
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2009 at 2:38pm

See... 

Putin sees fresh Ukraine gas problems 

Mary008

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2009 at 12:21pm

Source-

Reigning In Russian Pharmacies

"Aybolitov" put on the handbrake

excerpt-
According to official statistics, from January to June medicine in Russia have risen in price from 20 to 40%, and some drugs are more expensive than tripled. For the first time in recent years, price increases exceeded inflation. The state is going to take the raging pharmacies under control and introduce state regulation of pricing. Before stating the selling prices manufacturers were required only when participating in auctions for public procurement.

In February-March 2009 prices for some drugs in pharmacies Petersburg amounted to 300 percent or more. Even banal permanganic acid went up 40 times. Only for one week in the March pharmacies identified 51 essential drugs, which cost in entering the pharmacy has increased from 125 to 394%. Officials were forced to admit that they themselves do not understand, where does such a huge, unjustified increase.

"We have examined: manufacturer releases the drug at the normal price, the wholesalers, too, there is no cheating, pharmacies also reduce the surcharge, and the growth is 390%, - surprised" social "vice-governor Lyudmila Kostkina. - Already held Roszdravnadzor and Economic Development Ministry, they will check the major manufacturers and monopolists.

It was immediately issued a decree of the Government of St. Petersburg on the establishment of a list of essential drugs, the maximum margin which can not exceed 25%.

Mary008
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2009 at 12:35pm

Thoughts on Vaccine...   from Russia

excerpt-

So, take root or not? Taking this decision for themselves, we must not forget that many of vaccination both pluses and minuses. First, deciding on a vaccine, you must understand that an absolute guarantee against the disease it prevents. You can still get sick. Vaccine which aims to protect you from swine influenza (A/H1N1), - does not protect you from other varieties of influenza virus.

Secondly, as noted by many experts, swine influenza virus mutates rapidly: vaccinated against the option, which was in November, in February, you can "earn" his new modification.

Also do not forget that the man who grafted a live vaccine, there is a great chance to have a full swine influenza (subject to weak immunity). Live vaccines have the mass of contraindications, it is in developed countries, they do not use during pregnancy and for young children, as well as for people with any chronic severe disease. It is with live vaccines against influenza, which produced the NPO Microgen "in recent years, in Russia there were scandals.

We must also remember that the vaccine a live vaccine can not be held after the epidemic has already begun. It is very great chance that by weakening the immune system fight with specially weakened strain of the virus, you are inset and "wild" virus from relatives, colleagues at work or in public transport. And if you have not yet perebolet "vaccine" flu, you get the disease "under the full program and a fairly severe.

source-

Swine influenza: salvation in immunization?

Mary008

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2009 at 12:50pm

Medvedev: In Ukraine's problems with payment of gas blamed election
......................................................................................................................

The cause of the problems with payment of Ukraine gas supplies is an election campaign in the country. According to the President of Russia Dmitry Medvedev, "one government harms the other in an attempt to gain political points." (6)

Mary008
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2009 at 12:54pm

Rosbalt, 06.11.2009, 14:10 News

Gazprom does not intend to spare Ukraine

KIEV, Nov. 6. "Naftogaz Ukraine" has failed to persuade Gazprom to grant deferral of payment of imported natural gas in October. It is reported by "Kommersant-Ukraine".
According to a source close to Gazprom, Ukraine appealed to the gas monopoly with a request to extend the payment of imported natural gas in October to 20 November. But Gazprom has refused to grant the request.

Mary008
hope4bestprep4wrst View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hope4bestprep4wrst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2009 at 4:36pm
Slovakia closes border with Ukraine
http://www.rnw.nl/english/article/slovakia-closes-borders-flu-hit-ukraine

Slovakia is closing all but one of its border crossings with Ukraine because of the swine flu epidemic there which has claimed 135 lives. Nearly 900,000 people in Ukraine are infected with the A(H1N1) virus which causes the flu (known as ********* in the Netherlands).

The measure is designed to stop the spread of swine flu to Slovakia and the rest of Europe. Slovakia's eastern border is also that of the European Union. Doctors have been stationed at the one border crossing which is still open to check travellers for flu symptoms.

image: Slovakia (Wikipedia)

Be Well
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2009 at 2:28pm

Is Anyone Planning To Invade Russia?  Or Do they plan to sell this...

When the EU Goes Alt. Energy?

17:45   28/10/2009

Russian combat robot to replace soldiers

A Russian-made robot that can simultaneously fire three types of weapons against
enemy soldiers, fortifications and even tanks was displayed at the 13th
INTERPOLITEX-2009 International Exhibition of State Security Technology.

Mary008
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2009 at 3:02pm

This news is from late October ... but still interesting.

U.S., Georgia begin joint military drills on Monday

26/10/2009

TBILISI, October 26 (RIA Novosti) -

The United States and Georgia begin on Monday two-week joint military drills in preparation for sending troops to Afghanistan.

The joint military exercise, code-named Immediate Response, will be held in Georgia and include training in counterterrorist operations. U.S. military instructors have already arrived at the Krtsanisi training center.

The Georgian Parliament in August approved President Mikheil Saakashvili's initiative to deploy one marine company and one marine battalion to Afghanistan to help in the peacekeeping mission. According to Georgia's Defense Ministry, the company will be commanded by U.S. forces and the battalion by French forces in Afghanistan.

General Stanley McChrystal, the ISAF commander, earlier asked U.S. President Barack Obama to authorize sending up to 40,000 additional troops to Afghanistan to effectively fight the Taliban.

Violence has surged in Afghanistan, with the radical Islamic Taliban group, toppled in the 2001 U.S.-led campaign, staging regular attacks on provincial government officials, police and troops. There were over 70 attacks across the country during the August 20 presidential polls.

Georgia with the U.S. support has requested to become a NATO member, but at the NATO summit in April 2008, members refused to admit the post-Soviet countries into the Membership Action Plan (MAP), a key step for membership.

Mary008
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2009 at 3:18pm

When mom was a little girl her grandfather would say.... "Paper wants rain."

Now it's ... "Paper wants Flu Panic."

scorce....scroll down to-

Russians panic as media report more swine flu deaths

A senior executive at a Russian pharmaceuticals company said demand surged after October 26.

"The public panicked as reports were heard of lethal swine flu cases. People have been trying to store enough medication in case they fall ill," said Oleg Kiselyov, director of the flu institute in St. Petersburg.

On October 30, Deputy Healthcare Minister Veronika Skvortsova said that 80% of the flu cases registered in Russia was caused by the A/H1N1 virus. Officially, 3,122 Russians have caught the swine flu since the beginning of May, a ministry official said adding that 1,200 are ill now and 14 died.

The spike in demand has caused a deficit, especially in the regions. "Distributors have run out of their stock of Tamiflu and face masks," Druzhinin said.

We often have to pressure suppliers for more stock, Yelena Ulyanova, director of a municipal pharmacy in Novosibirsk, said.

( I think there is more of a panic on shortages in the stores/pharmacies )

A total of 15 people have died in Russia of swine flu and 3122 other cases have been

confirmed as the A/H1N1 virus as of November 3.

en.rian.ru/russia/20091105/156717382.html

Mary008

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2009 at 7:19pm

Mr. Putin says.... The EU should Assist the Ukraine with paying for their Gas...

Other Good News...

( This blog is by an American expat living in Ukraine for the last 18 years. )

Mary008

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2009 at 7:40pm

(not sure if you read the thread on the so called living wage and very difficult economic

circumstances in the Ukraine.)  

I'll put the address to it here.

anyway...

this is currently being worked out... interesting articles-

(Google translation for Ukraine needs work)

IMF continues to work with Ukraine
November 8th, 19:45 • Business

...so we have to wait for election results to be able to continue working with the government" - summed up the Director of the IMF.

http://ukranews.com/uk/news/economics/2009/11/08/5577

...But analysts said politicians would have to set aside differences

to adopt a set of financial measures needed to clinch the deal and secure the loan. The former Soviet republic is in the throes of the latest bout of political turmoil that has gripped it since the 2004 "Orange Revolution."

UPDATE 3-Ukraine IMF deal off-track as leader signs wages bill

Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:52pm EDT

Reuters

IMF, Ukraine agree $16.5 billion loan with conditions

Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:12pm ED

As you know, in November 2008 the IMF approved Ukraine's two-year program totaling 16.4 billion

dollars. and provided the first loan tranche of $ 4.5 billion dollars.

May 12 in Ukraine has received 2.8 billion dollars. second tranches of the IMF loan. Part of the second

tranche of $ 1.5 billion dollars. sent directly to the State Budget of Ukraine to finance the external debt

of the government.

The third tranche was 3.3 billion dollars. instead of the planned 3.2 billion dollars. The fourth tranche in

the amount of 3.8 billion dollars. IMF to provide Ukraine planned to end in 2009.

Mary008

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2009 at 10:12am

Train Crash In Russia

WSJ

see VIDEO

WSJ

Stay Tuned...   President will lay out specific targets ...

PM Report: Obama Sets Emission Reduction Targets 11/25/2009
................................................................................................................

Ending weeks of speculation, the White House announces
President Obama will attend a global climate summit in Copenhagen next month,
where he will lay out specific targets for curbing greenhouse-gas emissions.

Mary008
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2009 at 7:42am
We have been at this a long time Mary. Are you starting to get the picture as to what the end game of this is? You realize for decades we had KGB in there who had oldies who had seen World War II and 30,000 bodies on the ground and were familiar with carnage.

Now we have a new generation who may not have the gut level instinct of how fast stuff can escalate and I know personally how fast these missiles can move-and what they can do.

The old guard was too smart and told JFK after Cuba asked them to launch a nuke attack on the U.S. -the Fidel was crazy. He had no concept of the end game.

Iran is run by clergy and Muslims. It is a fusion of church and state and we have no concept of the depth of their inbred from birth hatred of Israel or desire to martyr themselves and their nation.

You may not understand this. Most don't.

We need to.

Good to see you on point.

We are on the same team.  I lost thousands of posts- but years ago we were tagging this. The Mig 29- versus the Mig 35- the new SAMS- and the North Korean fleet that no one talks about. We almost gutted Russian with the placement of missile batteries. We would have taken their first strike capacity. Yet the action may not be in the Black Sea. During the excercises with Venezuela when Peter the Great with enough nuke horsepower to vaporize a lot considering its teamed nuclear subs underneath it- a big chunk of what we call home- this was the beginning of a more dangerous testing of limits.

The only way to wage a war without nukes is with a virus or prion. It is the superior weapon. While everyone is flurrying about one vial - or several is more deadly than all the weaponary and fleets on the planet.

I see this. I always have.

Yet the problem is to weaken our forces. The Ukranian Navy has been hit hard. Not by a physical attack- by a germ.

Smoke and mirrors- basically the need to occupy when there is no one left to defend.

Med

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2009 at 12:06pm

Artist Borisov Nikolai Andreevich (1925-2001), Forest River in Winter

Christmas in Russia

We Have a lot of Immigrants from Russia here... They may enjoy seeing this huge

Celebration of the Christmas Tree...   Like we have at the White House and In New York.

See Photos Here-

from

In winning the contest for the title of the main trees of St. Petersburg the ideal Christmas tree parameters: 30-10-10: 30 meters in height, 10 meters - the scope of the lower branches and the weight of 10 tons. Born in "Miss Tree" from Priozersky area. She has already won a pedestal in the Palace Square.

Priozersk herringbone honestly won the contest, which gave SUE the City Center of advertising. On the role of the main trees of the northern capital claimed a dozen rivals from different places of Leningrad region. It was necessary not only compliance with the parameters - a certain height, weight, waist size, ie the trunk, and thighs - the lower branches, but also the convenience of location.

As told employees GTSRR, they found the perfect Christmas tree and literally sucked on them, but it was clear that there will be problems with the felling, transportation and delivery. It is essential that a convenient travel by car with a huge crane and a platform on which stack a tree, next to a highway as a platform in the forest is not around, well, that certainly does not hinder anybody, including the movement on the highway, as the process of cutting and putting Christmas trees takes almost all day.
In addition, it was necessary to obtain a permit - the so-called felling ticket, but the "sovereign's case" it, as you might guess, given without any problems.

We arrived at the X - to the border villages of Orekhovo and Novozhilov, 53 km

Priozersky highway - to 11 o'clock. Installers GTSRR preparatory work has already started at 8 am: attached to the very top of the beautiful 32-meter rope, because it was impossible to prevent the tree fell, the special hoop pinned down the barrel bottom, drove the platform. The parameters tree should not be above 27-30 m, so the original height of the trees had to leave the stump.

In general, the arrival of the journalists he was ready. Colleagues fun, imagining how much time it would be necessary to cut the trunk of a 100-year-old beauty even specially brought from a cool Finnish ax. However, the irony was in vain: as a lumberjack said Andrew Bastrygin, master, even an ax cut down a tree for 2 hours. A really chainsaw - in minutes.

Only woodcutter Bastrygin swung an ax as out of the woods ... Santa Claus. Grandfather rightly indignant, on what basis people are cutting down the forest, but when I learned that Christmas tree going to take to the Palace Square, it was replaced by despair. Grumbled about hemp, which remained in place once luxurious forests, and to repent for not Christmas weather - rain fell continuously - Santa Claus sighed and went into the woods.

Indeed, the process of sawing took literally minutes. Then herringbone hung on the crane boom, and then it carefully, literally inch by inch, steel trays - just hold at high altitude, so as not to break branches - to the platform.

While about 20 assemblers GTSRR cherished Christmas tree was placed on the platform, pretty wet and frozen, journalists and employees of the Center Advertising warm tea, sandwiches and tasty slaboalkolnym drink, cooking directly on the forest path at the stake. We will not say that it was the mulled wine that does not have the impression that journalists are not working, and drinking hot wine. More and drank, and celebrated a successful saw cut (ie, felling) Christmas tree.

The process of placing a Christmas tree at the huge cross attached to the platform, take a minute 30. Necessary to herringbone perfectly settled in the prepared place in the cradle, or trouble on the road was not avoided. By the way, Christmas tree up to 23 hours in the city were not allowed so as not to interfere with traffic. Until that time, she stood at the traffic police post, and then slowly, accompanied by police, went to the Palace Square.

Much longer had a Christmas tree to shelter special giant blanket. Installers tried not to break branches and at the same time hide it very carefully, so that during movement of tree would not hurt. But everything turned out - by professionals, among whom were high-altitude and installers worked very smoothly and quickly. It's amazing how such a gigantic yet fragile beauty could be cut down and put the price of a couple of sawed branches - they just did not fit into the cross.

This spruce is the only living among the 72-s other friends of St. Petersburg. Officials say it is a question of principle: it is necessary that the main square of the northern capital was decorated with only a live evergreen beauty.

Incidentally, this year we are promised a unique Christmas decoration. And the main tree of the city will be no exception. And protect it as a real beauty queen will be round the clock. As stated in GTSRR, vandals are requested not to worry.

File:Map%20of%20Russia%20-%20Moscow%20Oblast%20%282008-03%29.svg

endman View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote endman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2009 at 10:46am
 I think this year White House will celebrate Kwanza
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2009 at 5:07pm

Russia and Georgia Agree to Reopen Major Border Crossing
....................................................................................................

By CLIFFORD J. LEVY

Published: December 24, 2009

MOSCOW - Russia and Georgia have agreed to reopen their major border crossing, officials

said Thursday, signaling the first thawing of ties between the countries since they went to

war last year over a separatist enclave.

Northern Georgia, Kazbegi region.   Author: Marko Petrovic

Mary008
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2009 at 8:52am
Originally posted by Mary008 Mary008 wrote:

Mary008

Basicially most posters and a great deal of the Internet haven't a clue about Russia. We had sent a camera crew in a small village to interview Russians and their views and comment on the U.S.

You will never get to see the video.

I am getting ready to retire to develop technology to heal major diseases and which would be totally unwelcome in the U.S. where we make our living and profit from being drug pushers, refusing to heal to people and treating symptoms, and near a level of corruption next to Rome before the barbarian invasion.

The news is pretty much mythology- our children are being brainwashed with Wonder Pets and (yet Skye got some) and rap and we have nearly lost all semblance of art, music, and culture in our civilization. Religion is uncool and this includes morals, which has resulted in a record number of households with children with no fathers begin raised by extremely close females in some cases.

We are at the verge of the fall of the world as we know it.

Russia is not our greatest enemy, and no matter how many time we drag up the corpse of the Al Queda the of course evil villian who we must forever be afraid of (THe Power of Nightmares) we are a nation of sheep and unfortunately some of the leaders have become sheep as well, control from behind the scenes by the truly rich, powerful, and invisible.

We live on poison food and meat laced with bacteria and viruses and horrific chemicals and wonder why people are dying from cancer, get brain dead before they should and wander about confused and then lose every thing to families who pounce on it like french fries at MacDonald's at lunch time.

I have watched relatives gasping for their last breath and said God- doesn't anyone care this person is dying-

nope- we want that nice little antique dining table and mother promised it to me (two weeks in probate hearings over a table).

I don't what I see.. and I keep hearing well. yes people are still nice at the little potlucks where they disguss what flavor of jello to use in jello salad and 60% of the population are dangerous too big and well guesswhat we make a 7 layer hamburger (wasn't one of the 7 deadly sins gluttony) to our immense public can die of heart disease, stroke, and lose their legs in diabetes.

Truth is you aren't hearing the truth.

Nope- it is a carefully woven fabric of misinformation where vaccines are laced with deadly poisons and given to babies and it is our patriotic duty to get them.

Russia the evil villian. China the looming leviathan (while we deal in back room for billioins in profits and beg for them to invest in our almost (well actually is bankrupt) nation.

I mean a deficit- means. you are out of money and living on air. Our money is backed by  air- and last night we were attacked by a savage terrorists who didn't even manage to burn himself to death. God, it must be the Al Queda despite the fact Obama - with kidney failure obviously dying in 2001 could hardly be alive today.

Its the Taliban. And they are not wiped out because - what would be do without them as a villian? My god the arms sales in the world would collapse.

Can we sell weapons with no wars?

So, everyone can sit around and ****** - as for one year America has been through a nightmare and continues to get worse.

And I must listen to - its not so bad and we will be fine.

We will not be fine.. for quite a long time.

Why worry about the Black Sea when we have nuclear submarines off the coast of San Francisco as they brought their flagship Peter the Great which could incinerate the east coast in a matter of an hour?

Much ado about nothing- and little concern about the absolutely crucial issue that are destroying our nation.

Medclinician

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2009 at 9:46pm
 File:Empress%20Catherine%20The%20Great%20circa%201770%20%28D.G.%20Levitsky%29.JPG

English: Portrait by D. G. Levitsky of the Empress Catherine II of Russia/Catherine the Great. 1770, St. Petersburg, Russia. The portrait is in the collection of the Hermitage Museum, St. Petersburg, Russia.

Russia's maneuvers confused WTO

Moscow offered to forget about Georgia and Belarus

2009-12-14 / Mikhail Sergeev

Officials of the World Trade Organization (WTO) asked Moscow to clarify its attitude to the negotiations on accession to this organization. They promise that even a veto Georgia will not be taken into account, if only Russia renounce the priority entry in the tripartite Customs Union of Belarus, Kazakhstan and Russia. Such statements were made late last week in Washington at the conference to join the world trading community. However, Moscow does not hurry with the answer - it seems that the first priority for it was a Customs Union, which would maintain the higher import barriers.

"Now the ball is on the side of the field of Russia, which should make the first step", - said director of the WTO on the entry Chiedu Osakve, which is quoted by ITAR-TASS. As a first step, an official called the "WTO members receive official notification from the delegations of Russia, Belarus and Kazakhstan on the set up of the Customs Union". According Osakve, "when members of our organization of the country will receive such a document, they would consult among themselves and decide on the resumption of negotiations.

"Russia is too important country, and it should be in the WTO", - said Osakve. According to him, "there are no members of the WTO, which would have blocked the entry of Russia, but they all want stability and predictability, and hope to avoid the risks in world trade. Thus the WTO representative hinted that the negative position of Georgia will not become an obstacle to Russia's accession to the WTO.

"I know that the world community are paying great attention to issues related to the veto. However, we are in the WTO does not attach to the excessive value, "- said Osakve. In his view, the position of Georgia will take into account, but the question of Russia's accession nevertheless may well be resolved.

turn, the World Bank consultant David Tarr said that Russia is close to joining the WTO, but Georgia has a serious impact on this process. "If you vote anonymously, Georgia simply can block the whole process", - said Tarr. He suggested that Russia and Kazakhstan for WTO accession should not wait for Belarus. According to him, "Russia and Kazakhstan are very close to accession, Belarus - far from it."

The current state of negotiations at the WTO referred to as "temporary suspension". According Osakve, "the problem is that Russia spoke about the possibility of entry into the Customs Union with Belarus and Kazakhstan. "The reaction of members of the WTO on these intentions was predictable - it was confusing. However, in October, Russia, Belarus and Kazakhstan returned to the negotiating process, which is now being restarted ", - explained Osakve.

Russia's experts believe that in times of crisis, Moscow has taken to the WTO waiting game: formally reaffirming commitment to the WTO, Russia's authorities have actually shying away from further negotiations, preferring the opposite course - the establishment of the Customs Union. The interests of protecting domestic production through import restrictions likely will not allow the government to accede to the WTO, because this step will only worsen the situation of Russian enterprises.

As stated in the Washington director of bilateral economic cooperation of the Embassy of Russia in the United States Alex Shishaev, Russia before the end of the year would explain its position on accession to the WTO. "I understand that this will happen before the end of the year", - said Shishaev.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Vladimir Putin at a meeting of heads of governments - the EurAsEC member states in the narrow part of St. Petersburg said that the formation of the Customs Union is progressing well. "Since that time, managed to move well in the development of integration cooperation", - he said. "They give the effect of joint measures to counter the financial and economic crisis successfully is the formation of the Customs Union", - underlined the prime minister. "Very close to creating a single economic space", - he said.

source-

Mary008
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2009 at 8:06am

December 30, 2009

Vladimir Putin calls for more weapons

to stop America doing 'whatever it wants'

Article here-

from-

Will Stewart in Moscow

...Asked why the talks had failed to reach agreement on a new deal, Mr Putin said: "What

is the problem? The problem is that our American partners are building an anti-missile

shield and we are not building one."

(that sounds like a "good reason" for Mr. Putin to seek a new presidential term in 2012. )

...To preserve the balance we must develop offensive weapons systems, not missile

defence systems as the United States is doing," he said during a visit to the naval port of

Vladivostok on the Pacific coast.

...Now Mr Putin suggests that the American concessions are not enough.

"If we are not developing an anti- missile shield then there is a danger that our partners,

by creating such an umbrella, will feel completely secure and thus can allow themselves to

do what they want, disrupting the balance, and aggressiveness will rise immediately," Mr

Putin said.

He made it clear that Washington should share its missile defence plans -based on sea

and land-based interceptors in Europe -with Moscow

if it wanted to ease Russian concerns.  

"Let the Americans hand over all their information on missile defence and we are ready to

hand over all the information on offensive weapons," he said.

from-

Tony Halpin in Moscow

...Joseph Stalin sent millions to their deaths during his reign of terror, and his name was

taboo for decades, but the dictator is a step closer to rehabilitation after Vladimir Putin

openly praised his achievements.

article-
December 4, 2009
Vladimir Putin praises Stalin for creating a superpower and winning the war

Clueless in Russia

Mr. Putin is not serving his people well... by praising Stalin's reign of terror and not

understading the point of-  his partners,  creating  an umbrella and feeling completely

secure...  (not such a bad idea.)

Dreaming of the Glory days of Stalin and arming a Radical Muslim Govt.
( yes it is radical to call for the death of a nation. ) isn't going to get you the missile

defence plans of the folks who hear that you feel, Moscow should press ahead with a new

generation of weapons. 

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2009 at 12:48pm

28/12/2009

Predicting Russia in 2010

Anna Arutunyan, Ed Bentley, Andy Potts, Jen  C h a t er, Ayano Hodouchi and Vladimir Kozlov

excerpts-

Will Iran get a nuclear weapon?

Ariel Cohen, Heritage Foundation

Yes, I think Iran may get a nuclear weapon if its programme is not disrupted politically or otherwise. ... It's going to be a real test for Russian leaders to make the right decision, one that will keep Russia with the rest of the civilised world and not as a backer of an irresponsible regime of religious fanatics.

Will United Russia face a stronger challenge from other parties?

Vyacheslav Nikonov, Politika Foundation

Yes. The economic crisis is not over. ... Our economic indicators are below those in the rest of the world, so there is a basis for discontent. ... Public sentiment will be critical, and so will the parties. It will be difficult for United Russia, because while it isn't directly responsible for state policy, it cannot criticise it. It will be forced to ... [criticise some policies or] ministers.

Will Yury Luzhkov stay on as Moscow mayor?

Vladimir Pribylovsky, Panorama think tank
No, I think he will leave in 2010 - he has a lot of enemies in the Kremlin. He guaranteed loyalty from Muscovites, so they kept him under Yeltsin and Putin. But now that question has been decided and he may leave as early as February or March, but by the end of the year certainly. [There are] three likely successors: Oleg Mitvol, Igor Shuvalov or Sergei Naryshkin.

article here-

RIA Novosti presents Arabic edition of Moscow News in Saudi Arabia
..................................................................................................................

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2009 at 1:18pm

December 30, 2009

Vladimir Putin calls for more weapons

to stop America doing 'whatever it wants'

Article here-

May 8, 2009

President Obama Must Not Concede to Russian Demands over NATO
...................................................................................................................

excerpt-

Although President Obama has pledged to push the reset button to renew relations with Russia, U.S. policy towards Moscow must be based on a realistic--not rhetorical--agenda which prioritizes the NATO alliance and emphasizes the indivisibility of the transatlantic security alliance.[3]

President Obama must also make clear that the United States will not bargain away U.S. support for NATO enlargement to include Georgia and Ukraine, or missile defenses in Europe in exchange for Russian cooperation on other issues, such as its negotiations to stop Iran's nuclear program.

NATO Enlargement
In his op-ed, Ambassador Rogozin stated that "enlargement to the east is not a matter of principle for the alliance.";[4] This is not his decision to make.

Moreover, NATO expansion has been a major success story for the alliance and has played a crucial role in stabilizing and reforming large parts of Europe which, less than a decade ago, were under Soviet domination less than a decade ago.

At the Strasbourg-Kehl Summit in April 2009, NATO welcomed Albania and Croatia as the 27th and 28th members of the alliance, marking a major achievement in an area relatively recently devastated by military conflict.

source-

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2010 at 12:06am

Russia Grabbing Grandmothers...

Dissident, 82, detained at Moscow rally

....................................................................................................

Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:42pm GMT
MOSCOW (Reuters) - Police detained dozens of anti-Kremlin activists, including an 82-

year-old Soviet dissident dressed as Santa Claus' female helper, at a New Year's Eve

rally on Moscow's main shopping street Thursday.

Hundreds of riot police surrounded a Christmas tree in the centre of the city

and arrested the opposition activists as they gathered to defend their right to

peaceful protest.

Reuters Article here-

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2010 at 8:06pm

Russia-Belarus Oil Dispute Threatens Europe's Supply
...........................................................................................

By ANDREW E. KRAMER
Published: January 3, 2010

MOSCOW - Russia and Belarus have failed to renew an agreement on
crude oil export tariffs that expired on New Year’s Eve, raising the
prospect that yet another otherwise unremarkable energy pricing
dispute between Russia and a neighbor could unravel into a midwinter
fuel shut-off on the Continent.

article here-

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2010 at 6:03pm

Enjoy Photos of Georgia
Scroll Down..to see videos.

Happy New Year Georgia

George XI of Kartli

He had to accept Islam and take the name of Shahnawaz II before being able to be

confirmed as a Wāli (viceroy) by Shah Solayman I. However, Georgians continued to

consider him as their king under his Christian name George (Giorgi).

wikipedia

[edit] Georgia in the Russian Empire

King George XI the last Catholic King of eastern Georgia
Luarsab II, King of Eastern Georgia, martyred by Persians in 1622

In 1783, Russia and the eastern Georgian Kingdom of Kartli-Kakheti signed the Treaty of Georgievsk, according to which Kartli-Kakheti received protection by Russia. Despite Russia's commitment to defend Georgia, it rendered no assistance when the Turks and Persians invaded in 1785 and again in 1795 completely devastated Tbilisi and massacred its inhabitants. This period culminated in the 1801 Russian violation of Treaty of Georgievsk and annexation of entire Georgian lands, followed the deposing of the Bagrationi dynasty and suppression of the Georgian church

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2010 at 12:11am

Russia comes to the rescue as Norwegian gas supplies to Britain falter
......................................................................................................................

Terry Macalister guardian.co.uk,
Wednesday 13 January 2010 18.16 GMT

Russia rescued British energy consumers by ensuring a steady flow of gas into the power network as supplies from Norway faltered during the cold weather, industry customers users said today.

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2010 at 6:30pm

see how throughly interwoven Russia is in Europe...  a strong motivation to get along.

No motivation..  to leave off backing Iran?

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2010 at 10:35am

.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Olchon1.jpg  byAndrzej Barabasz (Chepry)

File:Olchon1.jpg

Lake Baikal

"the rich lake"

is the world's second most voluminous lake, after the Caspian Sea. It is the most

voluminous freshwater lake in the world with an average depth of 744.4 m (2,442 ft) and

contains a total of roughly 20 percent of the world's surface fresh water.[4][5]

Located in the south of the Russian region of Siberia

wikipedia

January, 14 2010
Vladimir Kozlov, The Moscow News

Tourism chiefs to tout Russia's regions

Russia hopes to attract foreign tourists to such far-flung places as Lake Baikal, Altai and

Karelia as an alternative to the standard tourist spots of Moscow, St. Petersburg and the

Golden Ring - and is planning a network of tourism information centres abroad to woo

visitors. But it is not yet clear when the first centres could be opened, while visa issues,

insufficient transport infrastructure and high prices hold back Russia's domestic tourism

industry.

Altai Mountains

File:2006-07%20altaj%20belucha.jpg
File:Katun.jpg

Katun River in the Altai Mountains

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2010 at 11:28am
File:Sarmale.jpg

An Eastern European Dish, Stuffed Cabbage Leaves
..........................................................................................

"Golubtsy"

The ultimate Russian comfort food

excerpt-
For most children of the Soviet Union, golubtsy bring back memories of mom or grandma

and long, comforting meals in a warm kitchen.

But while they are considered among the most Russian of foods, their origins are foreign,

as is the origin of their name. Golubtsy are cousins to dolma, grape leaves stuffed with

meat that are popular in the Caucasus and Greece. As they headed up north to Russia,

cabbage supplanted grape leaves, which did not grow well in the local climate, and beef r

eplaced the lamb used in the south.

Recipe Here-

recipe
(good with or without meat... or use ground turkey)

Mary008
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2010 at 4:55pm

New Year Message from The Russian President
................................................................................

Russia in 2009
Edward Lozansky

In Russia, presidential New Year’s address to the nation is traditionally aired each December 31, five minutes before midnight. Watch Dmitry Medvedev's address from December 31, 2009.

For Russia, 2009 was a pretty difficult year on the domestic front. It was saturated with severe economic and financial crises as well as horrible terrorist attacks and several man-made catastrophes. Nevertheless, the Russians not only proved once again that they can withstand disaster with dignity, but even in these most difficult times they achieved some impressive results in economic and social areas. The economy started to grow and the performance of the stock market was one of the world’s best. The shops are full of goods and customers, travel abroad is on the rise, and cultural life is bustling at least in the large cities.

However, three huge and potentially devastating problems remain unresolved and actually are getting worse: poor demography, monstrous corruption, and severe alcoholism. If one compares the number of people per square kilometer in of Russia (8), the United States (50) and China (220), the picture is gloomy. Moreover, this ratio keeps changing, and unfortunately not in Russia’s favor. Will the country in the years ahead have enough manpower to implement Medvedev’s dreams of innovations and modernization, to serve in its army, or at least to hold on to its huge landmass?

scroll down for VIDEO

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2010 at 11:30pm

Thousands rally against Putin, dozens detained
................................................................................

Mary008

endman View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote endman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2010 at 12:41pm
 I have a solution let China buy some Russian territory north of Mongolia or well give Mongolia to China they need all the land they can use, I think China should exercise free immigration policy to let some people out of the country I would prefer Chinese immigrates over Mexicans illegal’s    
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2010 at 1:23pm

Russia NEWS
>>>>>>>>>>>

a
te&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CBQQ7gEwAQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dru.com%26hl%3Den%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:*:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7GWYE

USA/ Russia News....

a
te&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CBQQ7gEwAQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dru.com%26hl%3Den%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:*:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7GWYE

May008
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2010 at 8:45pm

Suicide bombings at two stations in Moscow: 38 people killed, 100 injured

=/search%3Fq%3Dru.com%26hl%3Den%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:*:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7GWYE

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2010 at 8:02pm

Don't Mess with Ukraine

VIDEO

Goodbye to Winter in Ukraine...

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2010 at 8:07pm

Aral Sea
1989 and 2008

This is Regional Climate Change

There is now an ongoing effort in Kazakhstan

to save and replenish the North Aral Sea.

"We will defeat the drought, too!"
 - Joseph Stalin in his marshal's uniform over a shelterbelt map

ARAL SEA

(It was the size of Ireland )

Once among the four largest lakes of the world with an area of 68,000 square kilometres (26,000 sq mi), the Aral Sea has been steadily shrinking since the 1960s after the rivers that fed it were diverted by Soviet Union irrigation projects. By 2007 it had declined to 10% of its original size, splitting into three lakes[2] – the North Aral Sea and the eastern and western basins of the once far larger South Aral Sea.

By 2009, the south-eastern lake had disappeared and the south-western lake retreated to a thin strip at the extreme west of the former southern sea.[3] The maximum depth of the North Aral Sea is 42 metres (138 ft) (as of 2008).[1]

The region's once prosperous fishing industry has been virtually destroyed, bringing unemployment and economic hardship. The Aral Sea region is also heavily polluted, with consequent serious public health problems. The retreat of the sea has reportedly also caused local climate change, with summers becoming hotter and drier, and winters colder and longer.[4]

There is now an ongoing effort in Kazakhstan to save and replenish the North Aral Sea. As part of this effort, a dam project was completed in 2005; in 2008, the water level in this lake had risen by 12 metres (39 ft) from its lowest level in 2003.[1] Salinity has dropped, and fish are again found in sufficient numbers for some fishing to be viable. However, the outlook for the remnants of the South Aral Sea remains bleak.

wikipedia

Driving across the Aral Sea bed

BBC VIDEO

Most parts of what was previously the fourth largest lake in the world is now a desert covered with salt and scrub flats. Aral Sea shrank by 70 per cent after USSR planners in the 1960s drained off the lake for cotton irrigation in Uzbekistan. In 1990, the sea was split between Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan.

Ban urges Central Asia to tackle shrinking Aral Sea 
....................................................................................................................

April 5th, 2010 by Andrew Robertts

article-

Aral Sea

very good Video

Video

Quiet Chernobyl: The Aral Sea

Cotton - Environmental Disaster & Lethal Pesticides

Video

What The Aral Used to look like?

Mary008

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2010 at 10:41am

Obama: sanctions against Iran in the UN Security Council may be taken in the spring

08/04/2010 19:17
PRAGUE, April 8th - RIA Novosti. Discussion of new sanctions against Iran in the UN Security Council continues for several weeks and possibly the United States succeed in tough penalties already this spring, said Thursday U.S. President Barack Obama.

"Sanctions against Iran has already moved past few weeks, but in fact they are moving for several months. We will see new negotiations at the UN next week in New York, and I believe we can achieve strong strong sanctions against Iran this spring "- Obama said at a press conference.

The American president said that the issue discuss a treaty on strategic offensive armaments "helped the US-Russian dialogue on Iran's nuclear program."

"I think there are two ways by which negotiations on START contributed to the US-Russian discussions on Iran. The first - is that President Medvedev and I have been able to establish credibility, and our team can work together" - Obama said.

According to the U.S. president, established the format of bilateral dialogue has enabled countries to work together on Iran to give Tehran a chance to understand "the need to distance itself from nuclear weapons." 0 -

From-

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2010 at 5:50pm

Beautiful Church in Russia

12/04/2010 | Moscow News №13 2010
Historic Moscow church could be saved

Moscow mayor Yury Luzhkov

has banned a proposed office complex next to the historic Church of the Resurrection in

Kadashi, according to chief architect Alexander Kuzmin.

Kuzmin told a meeting of the Public Chamber of Russia that the mayor had "forbidden" developers to work on the project, which had prompted a public outcry amid fears that the large-scale "Five Capitals" commercial and residential scheme would obstruct views of the church near Bolshaya Ordynka, RIA Novosti reported.

Article continues here-

Historic Church of the Resurrection

File:Moscow,%202nd%20Kadashevsky%207%20-2.jpg
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2010 at 5:58pm

The Oliver Hazard Perry class of frigates were designed by the U.S. Navy in the 1970s as general-purpose escort vessels

U.S. warship arrives in Georgia for joint training

18:5614/04/2010

A U.S. frigate has arrived in Georgia's territorial waters to take part in joint Theater Security Cooperation (TSC) exercises with the Georgian Coast Guard, a Georgian official said on Wednesday.

USS John L. Hall, an Oliver Perry class guided missile frigate, docked on Wednesday in

the port of Poti, some 50 km (31 miles) from the border with the former Georgian republic

of Abkhazia.

Article-

Mary008
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2010 at 6:18pm
.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Chechnya_and_Caucasus.png

Chechnya and Caucasus map

Chechnya Far from Peaceful and Far Less Under Russian Control Print E-mail
April 18, 2010

Paul Goble

Vienna, April 15 – Tomorrow, the Chechen authorities will celebrate the first anniversary of

the end of the Russian "counter-terrorist operation" (KTO) there not because Chechnya

has become less violent during the intervening months - it hasn’t - but rather because the

end of the KTO formalized Moscow’s deference to Chechen leader Ramzan Kadyrov.

Article here-
=65

In 2006 Human Rights Watch reported that pro-Moscow Chechen forces under the command, in effect, of President Ramzan Kadyrov, as well as federal police personnel, used torture to get information about separatist forces. "If you are detained in Chechnya, you face a real and immediate risk of torture. And there is little chance that your torturer will be held accountable," said Holly Cartner, Director Europe and Central Asia division of HRW.[28]

Human rights groups criticized the conduct of the 2005 parliamentary elections as unfairly influenced by the central Russian government and military.[29]

wikipedia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic