Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Coronavirus Pandemic: Prepping Forums > General Prepping Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Milk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Who Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Milk
    Posted: January 09 2009 at 2:50pm
So milk may not be as important as water but cool fresh milk sure makes life more pleasurable.I find that I cook with it a lot and many of my recipes would not be as good without milk. It is also very nutritious.

the problem that I have is that even without any sort of crisis complicating things there are not very many decent substitutes for fresh milk.

I of course have powdered milk in the house but I don't like it.

I have tried freezing fresh milk but it takes a long time to defrost, requires a running freezer to keep it and still does not taste quite as good as unfrozen milk. I would have to say that it comes in second though.

I have a little sweetened condensed milk but would have no idea how to make it more like regular milk after opening it.

On the same note I have evaporated milk but also don't know how to make it like fresh milk and wonder what the taste would be like. Does anyone know?

I have heard of canned milk. I have never seen it for sale. Assume it would be much more expensive than fresh milk. And wonder if I canned my own what would the results be like.

I have heard of people making arrangements with a dairy to trade for milk if it hits but that seems like too much work for something that might fall though or expose my family to whatever the dairy farmer had.

Thoughts and ideas?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2009 at 8:32pm
If you are isolated in your house and no fresh milk that powdered milk or can milk will look real good. In bad times any type of milk is better than no milk.

Leave my house for fresh milk...Not Me!
doomsmom View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doomsmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2009 at 5:04pm
I make up my powdered milk, then add a small can of evaporated milk to a gallon.  Makes it taste much better.
mercurymom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercurymom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2009 at 1:06am
Originally posted by doomsmom doomsmom wrote:

I make up my powdered milk, then add a small can of evaporated milk to a gallon.  Makes it taste much better.

That is a great idea. I never thought of that. My husband and I were just talking about milk, the other day, and what we'd do. He can't stand powdered milk, but I have a bunch of evaporated. Your idea would be worth a try! He might like it that way.
There is nothing to fear except the persistent refusal to find out the truth, the persistent refusal to analyze the causes of happenings. ~ Dorothy Thompson
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2009 at 1:11pm
Try adding a little vanilla to the milk and a touch of sugar and see how it tastes. We will just have to take what we get if things get bad.
Dr.Who View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Who Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2009 at 7:43am
Btw, when freezing milk those whole gallons will sometimes burst or leak. Now I pour half into a pitcher right away and freeze half a gallon. They will thaw faster too.
Wishbone View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wishbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2009 at 8:11am
NIDO is the best tasting of the dry milks. That's because it is whole milk. Walmart sells it

Canned evaporated milk has to be reconstituted with one and 1/8 can water. Canned milk tastes odd because it is scorched. But it makes excellent chocolate milk.

I add Hershey's chocolate syrup, Ovaltine and Nesquick. There is a strawberry syrup to add to the milk also.

Walmart sells NIDO, Parmalat milk, and also Nestle Media Crema ( canned light cream)
Has anyone tried adding the canned cream to powdered skim milk to make it taste better?
I'm wondering if that would improve the flavor.
I don't have any dried skim milk. It is just awful.

Gordon Food Supply sells Hershery's syrup in large bottles with a pump dispenser, Nesquik, and their own brand of chocolate syrup.
I found that Aldi's has the best price on canned milk.

Dr.Who View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Who Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2009 at 8:41pm
A little off topic here but....

can whipping cream be frozen? Will it still whip?
momasaurus7 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momasaurus7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2009 at 7:55pm
Was wondering if anyone has tried to make pudding with powdered milk? I bought Nido and was wondering if it would work or taste bad?  I've never used powdered milk for anything before.
We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men.
HoosierMom View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoosierMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2009 at 3:49am
Momasaurus- that's what I was thinking, I bet it would taste ok, maybe reconstitute it first, let it set for a little before using in the pudding mix.

I have a biggg box that expired end of '08, does anyone here know if it would be ok to use still ? -- Hate to throw away, it has been stored in a cool dark sealed container.   Any ideas ?

Hunter View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2009 at 8:35pm
I've used a lot of powdered milk over the years. It's fine for pudding. If using skim add just a little less if making instant pudding, or allow it a little longer to set. Cooked pudding just reconstitute and use.

If the dried milk is skim and stored in better than average conditions it's probably fine. Store it in the fridge and use it up quickly.
kristikaylene View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristikaylene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 6:17pm
I mix up the powdered skim milk with just a scooch less water than recommended, then let it get really, really cold before using it.  It is not great for straight drinking, but it fine for cooking, cereal, etc...

I use the evaporated milk straight from the can for cooking...never thought about drinking it.
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momasaurus7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2009 at 7:57pm
I just found some powdered egg stuff at my health food store that is specially made for home made recipes.  I plan on trying that with the powdered milk to see if I can bake some of my little one's favorites.  Finding good substitutes for eggs and milk sure would be a major help.   If things get bad, I 'll still be able to bring a smile to their faces with a home made blueberry muffin.  It's the little things that bring the children the most comfort. 
We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men.
kristikaylene View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristikaylene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2009 at 8:25pm
You can also substitute soy flour for eggs in baking.  1 heaping tablespoon of soy flour and 1 tablespoon water per egg...works great. Tongue
Wishbone View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wishbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 6:16am
There are a lot of no-bake cookie recipes that use powdered milk. Here is one:

Peanut Butter No-Bake Cookies

Creamy peanut butter works best in this recipe. If you prefer, the melted chocolate can be drizzled onto the cookies instead of piped.

Ingredients
Makes 40

1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 1/2 cups nonfat dry milk
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 cup (about 2 ounces) semisweet chocolate morsels

Directions
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spread oatmeal in an ungreased baking pan, and toast until it is lightly browned, about 11 minutes, shaking once. Set aside to cool.
In a medium bowl, combine peanut butter and nonfat dry milk. Stir in toasted oatmeal, and set aside.
In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in honey. Pour the butter mixture over the peanut-butter mixture, and stir until well combined. Allow to cool slightly.
Shape into about forty logs, each about 2 1/2 inches long. Place the logs onto a wire rack or a parchment-lined baking sheet, and set aside.
Place chocolate morsels in a small heat-proof bowl or the top of a double boiler, and set the bowl over a pan of gently simmering water. Stir occasionally until chocolate is melted, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat, and transfer melted chocolate to a pastry bag fitted with a #3 plain round tip. Pipe chocolate onto the cookie logs. Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container, refrigerated, up to 1 week.

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momasaurus7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 7:22am
Thanks, sounds good.  My kids will love trying that one. :)
Wishbone View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wishbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 9:21am
I'm looking at that recipe I just posted. Rather than piping the chocolate, I think you could just dip the cookies into the melted chocolate half way.

Put "eat chocolate" at the top of your list of things to do today. 
That way, at least you'll get one thing done. 
~ Author Unknown ~
jody05 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jody05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 1:59pm
Parmalot. Real milk sold on the shelf of grocery store. Dated as much as 6 mo out. Dont refrigerate until opened. Use within a week. Can be used for several mo after expiration date (I was told by the company). Comes in regular, 2% and nonfat. I use it all the time as we dont use or buy milk- taste fine. Look in baking aisle. Walmart near me wants $1.84.
lurking since 2005 with a looong memory
for everything that has transpired on this site!
debbiencusa View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debbiencusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 11:28am
it used to be and not so long ago,that there was no such thing as expiration dates on canned or dehydrated foods, i believe the exp dates are a marketing trick for the most part. Shampoo sales doubled when one company gave directions on how to use shampoo and then added one word, repeat. it is not necessary to wash hair twice, but seeing company number one sales go through the roof they all followed suit. i lol when i saw soda pop companies put expiration dates on their products, what a joke. it forces the retailor to throw out perfectly good inventory and restock.  The idea behind canning and doing it the right way was for life long use, a popular book they made a movie of several years back titled Holes spoke of how the main charecter lived bc he found peaches canned a hundred years prior, it discusses they were discolored but still were eatable. i wouldnt go that far, but i do believe a lot of the use by dates are more about increasing sales then true safety. if someone was in a shtf situation and came across a bunker loaded with clean, non insect infected food that was canned properly with no dents, or bulges in the cans, dehydrated vegtables with a vaccum seal uncompromised i am willing to bet they would think they hit pay dirt.
Survival foods as you all know are good at least ten years,and can be opened and left on a counter minus refrigeration for at least a week, i shudder to think of what has gone into them to make all that possible but it is true.
i buy huge cans of dehydrated eggs, that last for ten years unopened, they last for a year opened, i have  never tossed them out if it is past a year, they are sealed tight, no color change or smell difference and i use them to back only at at least 375 for a hour.
Also powdered chocolate lasts a long time, comes canned and will make great hot choclate for that dehydrated milk, i have heard of some people mixing it half and half with fresh milk, i tried it, it stunk, i have heard it needs to be served as cold as possible before freezing,  no thanks. i am a milk lover in my opinion you can not hide that taste but the packets of hot cocoa are basically dehydrated milk with the chocolate in it. 
The extracts would also work, such as butterscotch etc. Extracts things like liquid smoke seasoned salt, lemon pepper are all wonderful for the basic survival diet of dehydrated beans (protein) and rice  (carbs) you can take those two items and with seasonings make it a mexican dish one night a asian dish another and by making a dehydrated gravy a stew like dish yet a third night.

The powders are extremely cheap, i just bought about fifty gravy mixes the store brand version for 42 cents a piece. Dehydrated milk, with dehydrated butter makes a white sauce but i would add a lot of dehydrated cheese to it, make a semi italian dish.
Black beans can be ground up mixed with dehydrated eggs made into patties if you have cans of dehydrated bread crumbs roll the patties in that and fry or deep fry makes a pretty good burger with dhydrated onion and some liquid smoke.  lol what a chef i am.
God Bless
Nanook View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nanook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 8:17pm
Evaporated milk tastes fabulous in coffee and tea.  We use it in soups and chowders and on top of oatmeal and cereals, just as we would cream, but with a lot less calories.
Always be Prepared!
zoe17 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zoe17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 8:23pm
Morning Moo, Nido are great tasting. Parmlat is UHT made so a long shelf life. My son drinks Organic Chocolate Milk in boxes with usually one year exp. dates, got it from Wal Mart. We stock up on it for kids and cooking.

http://www.buythecase.net/product/54411/Horizon_Organic_Chocolate_Organic_LowFat_Milk,_8_OZ/?CAWELAID=1500572771&catargetid=1601580769&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CIbkmJnVmbcCFU4S7AodYFoAxw - http://www.buythecase.net/product/54411/Horizon_Organic_Chocolate_Organic_LowFat_Milk,_8_OZ/?CAWELAID=1500572771&catargetid=1601580769&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CIbkmJnVmbcCFU4S7AodYFoAxw

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Horizon-Organic-Chocolate-Milk-8-oz-6ct/22225957 - http://www.walmart.com/ip/Horizon-Organic-Chocolate-Milk-8-oz-6ct/22225957
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 7:39am
The cheapest place I have found UHT milk (ultra high temperature processing) is the Dollar Tree for just $1.00 a quart. For those who aren't familiar with this type of milk it comes in a box, can be kept on the shelf in a pantry until opened, then needs to be kept refrigerated. The Dollar Tree usually carries 1%, 2%, soy in quarts, then the small individual boxes. They usually do not have all types at the same time, it's kind of a hit and miss type thing, so keep checking back.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic