Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

China-Massive outbreaks-Tawain-Swine Flu

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: China-Massive outbreaks-Tawain-Swine Flu
    Posted: August 01 2009 at 9:27am
>Breaking news<

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/national/national-news/2009/08/01/218630/FLU-OUTBREAKS.htm

Updated Saturday, August 1, 2009 10:23 am TWN, The China Post news staff

Flu Outbreaks Surge

TAIPEI, Taiwan -- In tandem with reports of the first recorded death related to the A(H1N1) swine influenza, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) yesterday noted the upsurge of massive outbreaks in communities.

As of noon yesterday, there were 10 cases of group infections involving a total of 452 people, said the CDC.

Health officials said that the transmission of the virus was mainly seen at breeding grounds such as schools, troops, summer camps and factories.

Lin Ting, the deputy director general of the CDC under the Department of Health (DOH), was cited as saying that the current picture likely signals a more widespread epidemic come flu season later this year after schools re-commence.

The Ministry of Education (MOE) yesterday chimed in and said that schools and city and county governments will get final say as to whether or not to suspend classes over the summer.

Any local school with a confirmed case should be closed for seven days to contain the possible spread of the disease, said CNA reports. If the situation is very severe, the ministry said, the school's closing can be extended to 10 days.

But officials have yet to hammer out a contingency plan by which a nationwide suspension of classes would be made possible this fall, said the MOE.

The A(H1N1) virus is blamed for most of the infections seen recently, but other seasonal flu strains such as the A(H3N2) has also been identified in collected specimens, according to health authorities.

comment: pack theory

With the spike in number of collective outbreaks and flu-like cases diagnosed, the Cabinet-level health department has stepped up epidemic control efforts.

DOH Minister Yeh Ching-chuan and CDC director general Guo Hsu-song personally traveled to the CDC outpost in Taichung to monitor the office's epidemic-fighting operations.

The duo also visited medical facilities in central and eastern Taiwan to ensure medical facilities have the manpower and capability to cope with the worst-case scenario.

A group of CDC staff members also canceled their long-planned islandwide tour this weekend amid increasing reports of swine flu infections, according to CNA reports.

Meanwhile Chen Jian-ren, an academician with the Academia Sinica and the former head of the DOH, relayed his worries about the current rapid proliferation of the A(H1N1) virus and suggested that at the present rate the disease may become widespread and be circulating in all parts of the general population by late September or early October.

He also advised that residents avoid congregating in indoor areas with poor ventilation over the summer and to seek medical attention as soon as symptoms develop.

Meanwhile, medical experts also reiterated that the A(H1N1) flu is difficult to differentiate from other seasonal strains and encompasses a wide range of symptoms, mild to severe.

But patients have been reporting prolonged fatigue as well as diarrhea in addition to common flu symptoms such as fever and cough, said doctors.

Medclinician

Medclinician View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 9:28am
this one is for you Albert- I posted it here first.

Medclinician
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 9:56am
This link is being disputed and I am recovering my buffer text I pulled yesterday with the search engine. The previous post should be enough to carry and document the massive outbreak of Swine Flu in China despite whatever question there was as the second article.

Med
Suzi1 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 10:07am
Sounds suspiciously anti-pork to me. If you know what I mean. Don't they know about the sneeze.
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 10:19am
Originally posted by Suzi1 Suzi1 wrote:

Sounds suspiciously anti-pork to me. If you know what I mean. Don't they know about the sneeze.

It sounds like they are very concerned about it being spread by pork. They always have been. Even when Western news was downplaying the presence of virus in pig blood, WHO was recommending not eating Swine Flu infected pork.

What you need to look at is the 20% fatality rate. Start doing some numbers and calculate the implications of this. Not a single plan in the world is capable of dealing with a 20% mortality rate. This has always been something I have focused on. Keeping the infrastructure in place and functioning even with a large CFR.

This is another one- that is out of nowhere. Obviously this was known for the last two week during the media silence.

Med
Suzi1 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 11:09am

Medical experts say the Chinese strain has an unusually high mortality rate of 20 percent

Who are the Medical Experts???? I'm going to have to have something a little more than this before I quit my job and move into a hole in the ground. And trust me I am ready to do so. I will be watching for any additional info. I'm always looking for clues.

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by Suzi1 Suzi1 wrote:

Medical experts say the Chinese strain has an unusually high mortality rate of 20 percent

Who are the Medical Experts???? I'm going to have to have something a little more than this before I quit my job and move into a hole in the ground. And trust me I am ready to do so. I will be watching for any additional info. I'm always looking for clues.

i don't blame you. And since you sound like a logical person, why are they saying this now, and not giving how they got the number? Why would China be trying to scare its own people and cut off its pork industry? That one doesn't make since. This was a hard find. I am still trying to get more data. However, I think China Daily is unlikely to make up a sweeping flu epidemic naming provinces and areas. Remember, now in China is it like a death sentence to misreport flu information. This one is not just going to go away with a few, I find it hard to believe posts. Thius one is going to take some real solid data.

Medclinician
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 12:48pm
Watch for the crossfire- okay already I spoke to CDC and they will not release information
on the China outbreak to me as a reporter, health professional, period. I was told to contact
WHO. I am working on it. WHO's online stuff is really dated. It does not even mention or address this at all.

Now before we get the bounty hunters on the thread going for the 20% and sidetracking the entire issue that this is racing across China- more work is being done to confirm that figure. I have hit this exact issue before and been stung. It was said health officials said 500,000 people in New York were infected and it hit the fan over that. We won't even go there. But a week later CDC and other agencies confirmed that 270,000 and up to that number was not unreasonable. Finally CDC came out with 1,000,000 in the U.S. as per their estimates and then they quit counting.

So-before we get a nice bounce around about the 20% which is going to be the first target adn we are still checking- lets focus on the name of the thread and that it is becoming widespread in China and even getting a confirmation of that kind of CFR would shake the foundations of our health world. So don't expect miracles. This has already hit the engines and people are reading. Will make every effort to be accurate and with no speculation or any more than is in the articles.

Just clarifying- working on getting more source confirmation on the CFR- but we have definite confirmation on wide spread infection and huge quantities of pork in China being destroyed.

Medclinician

Mahshadin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahshadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 1:42pm
Med

this is a bit confusing, are you talking about CFR for swine or for the bacterial infection from 2005?

Is the Date of that second post wrong?

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."   G Orwell
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 1:44pm
Talk about Deja Vu- look at this from four years ago...I wonder where Swine Flu realy came
from....

Experts puzzled by China's swine flu outbreak

By Tan Ee Lyn
7-28-5

HONG KONG (Reuters) - Scientists are perplexed by the unusually high, and rising, number of deaths in southwestern China from a mysterious pig-borne disease and they are beginning to question if it is indeed swine flu.

Twenty-seven people in Sichuan province have died in recent days from the disease, which has sickened 104 others.

Chinese health authorities have identified the culprit as Streptococcus suis, a form of what is commonly known as swine flu. They say all those taken ill had slaughtered, handled or ate infected pigs, and there had not been any human-to-human transmission of the bacteria.

The authorities have dismissed speculation that the deaths were caused by bird flu, a virus that has killed over 50 people in Asia since late 2003.

Nevertheless, medical experts outside mainland China said the unusually high mortality rate of 20 percent and reports that many of the 27 victims died within a day of showing symptoms were inconsistent with what is known so far about swine flu.

Though endemic in swine, human infections are rare. And where they have occurred, mortality rates have been below 10 percent.

"It could be another disease altogther, it need not be Streptococcus suis because the presentation is so atypical," Samson Wong, a microbiology associate professor at the University of Hong Kong, told Reuters.

"In past literature, there have been one or two cases when people died within 36 hours, but those were exceptions rather than the rule. The deaths in China are very unusual," Wong said.

Wong also said many patients in Sichuan were bleeding under the skin, a symptom that has been cited in only two or three cases in medical literature on the bacteria.

The deaths have alarmed nearby Hong Kong because 15 percent of the pork it imports normally comes from Sichuan.

"You don't have to have an open wound for infection to get into the body. It's more likely that it could be under a cuticle ... some sort of break in the skin for something like that to get into the bloodstream," said Sian Griffiths, director of Hong Kong's Centre of Public Health.

China has suspended exports of chilled and frozen pork from two Sichuan villages to Hong Kong but lawmakers here lobbied the government on Thursday to ban pork imports from all of Sichuan.

MORE VIRULENT?

Although the World Health Organisation says that clinical diagnosis of the disease in Sichuan seems to be consistent with past outbreaks, it too is puzzled by the unusually high incidence.

"It's not clear to us why we're seeing such a large case number," said WHO spokesman Bob Dietz. The last outbreak of Streptococcus suis in China was in 1998, and involved 22 people.

Dietz stressed that China's diagnosis of Streptococcus suis was only a preliminary one, especially since authorities there have confirmed the presence of the bacteria in only five cases through laboratory tests. Over 70 other cases were only clinically diagnosed to be swine fever.

"We'd like to see more of that gold standard proof (laboratory tests). You also have to discount the fact that there wasn't another co-infection from something else," he added.

Streptococcus suis is also known to cause deafness in humans, but that has yet to surface in Sichuan, Dietz said.

Chinese scientists are analysing the bacteria and have so far decoded seven of its genes, which they say are no different from Streptococcus suis bacteria isolated in past outbreaks overseas. That suggests that the bug in Sichuan has not mutated.

There is a constant fear among scientists that it could mutate and be passed among humans. Compounded with its deadliness, such a bug could unleash an epidemic, killing many.

But Wong remains guarded.

"A bacteria has many many genes, not just seven. So could it be that there are other genes that are now different? Could this be a more virulent form of Streptococcus suis? It's all too early to say," he said.

Patricia A. Doyle, PhD
comment: has someone been messing with the gene splicer?  How did it go from a bacteria to a virus?

Suzi1 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 2:03pm
 I am going to have to start reading more carefully and look at dates also.
Mahshadin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahshadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 3:11pm

Med

this swine stuff is very interesting especially from a historical perspective. Much has been posted on this site on the topic as well. I think we are all now getting the connection in a very real way. A largely ignored or minimized subject (Swine Flu) has taken a back seat even though evidence showed a direct link to more likely Pandemic Possibilities.

Heres some stuff from this site  from awhile ago if anyone is interested.

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."   G Orwell
ME163 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ME163 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 3:54pm
A 20% CFR is black death like. This is truly horrid. I think I am going to go into SIP before the first of september. This really is going to be catastrophic. If this is all true then the federal authorities need to be very worried about massive civil unrest.
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by Mahshadin Mahshadin wrote:

Med

this is a bit confusing, are you talking about CFR for swine or for the bacterial infection from 2005?

Is the Date of that second post wrong?

The second article - post 2 refers to a 20% CFR in people- how ever there is almost no backup for the statement. The other article is swine flu (bacterial version) and had a higher CFR-but seemed to get almost no attention in 2005.

Med
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by Mahshadin Mahshadin wrote:

Med

this swine stuff is very interesting especially from a historical perspective. Much has been posted on this site on the topic as well. I think we are all now getting the connection in a very real way. A largely ignored or minimized subject (Swine Flu) has taken a back seat even though evidence showed a direct link to more likely Pandemic Possibilities.

Heres some stuff from this site  from awhile ago if anyone is interested.

You're right. As you start going back and reading up on the history of Swine Flu it was kind of eclipsed by Avian and SARS. It has been around awhile though.. even in humans.

Med
Mahshadin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahshadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 5:21pm
Swine problems with new mutated versions of disease including but not just influenza is a problem we need to take more seriously.

Here is another virus mutating problem in China

__________________________________________________________________________________
m
Hog Disease Spreads in China
By Daniel Schearf
Beijing
11 June 2007

A contagious hog disease in China that last year killed up to a million pigs, and contributed to rising pork prices, has been blamed on the "Blue Ear" virus. Daniel Schearf reports from Beijing.

China's top veterinarian Jia Youling told reporters the highly pathogenic disease, "Blue Ear," is to blame for most of the pig deaths last year. The high fever disease is formally known as Porcine Reproductive and Respiratory Syndrome.

Up to a million pigs died last year from the disease.

Jia says the Blue Ear virus was discovered in the United States in 1987 and has since spread worldwide, posing no threat to humans. But it had mutated in China, making it hard to identify and becoming more deadly to pigs.

"This variation of Blue Ear disease is a completely new variation," said Jia. "It is the first time our country and the world has experienced this kind of the disease."

Chinese health officials are now working on a vaccine to prevent the virus from spreading further.

Jia said their biggest fear is that farmers with sick pigs will try to sell them quickly rather than report the illness. This could cause the disease to spread faster.

Pork prices have already risen dramatically, although Jia said he was not convinced of a direct link between rising prices and the disease.

China's Ministry of Agriculture last week said Blue Ear had already infected nearly 46,000 pigs in the first five months of this year and killed more than 18,000, while spreading to 22 provinces and regions.

The failure to spot and treat the Blue Ear disease outbreak earlier raises new fears about the safety of China's food and drug supply.

The country has had a series of such scandals, including the reported sale of tainted wheat gluten to the United States.

In the past few days, Chinese and foreign media have reported the government has found unsafe dried food, and evidence that some hospitals have used fake blood proteins in intravenous drips to treat patients.

Mahshadin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahshadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 5:36pm
 Here is what WHO's regional office had to say about that bacterial infection in your second post. The link to meningitis is quite distressing.

I believe China is the Worlds largest Swine producer (Yes No) ???

_________________________________________________________________________________

Streptococcus suis

02 August 2005

Streptococcus suis is a species of bacterium found in many parts of the world where pigs are raised. It is most adapted to domesticated pigs, but is also occasionally found from wild boars, horses, dogs, cats and birds. Human infection was first described in the 1960s and is increasingly recognized. It is unclear, however, whether this reflects a true rise in incidence or whether it is being diagnosed more frequently due to increased awareness by physicians.

Infection in pigs is usually asymptomatic, but can result in septicaemia (blood poisoning), meningitis, pneumonia and arthritis. Young pigs are most at risk, but the disease can occur in any age group. Predisposing factors are found in pigs reared in "suboptimal" conditions, for example poor housing with inadequate ventilation. This is compounded if pigs are raised under "intensive" conditions that can cause stress and subsequent immune suppression.

Asymptomatic pigs typically carry the bacteria in their tonsils and are probably responsible for the spread of infection between herds. Infected pigs respond to certain antibiotics. Vaccines are available, but their efficacy is not firmly established

Although rarely diagnosed in Europe, there is some evidence that Streptococcus suis is a not uncommon cause of bacterial meningitis in humans residing in some parts of South-east Asia. It usually does not cause outbreaks, but occurs in a sporadic manner. The most important risk factor in acquiring the infection is contact with pigs or uncooked pig products, typically farmers, veterinary personnel, abattoir workers and butchers. Individuals who are immunosuppressed, including those who have had their spleens removed, are also at increased risk.

Transmission to humans is most likely to occur through wounds on the skin, including minor abrasions. But infection via ingestion or through mucous membranes�such as the conjunctiva�has been suspected in some cases. The incubation period ranges from a few hours up to three days. Classically, infection in humans produces a fever and signs of meningitis (headache, vomiting, neck stiffness, intolerance of light and decreased level of consciousness). Hearing loss, which is generally permanent and affects around 50% of those infected, occurs due to involvement of the auditory nerve. Arthritis and pneumonia are also possible complications.

Diagnosis is made by the recovery of bacteria from the cerebrospinal fluid, blood or joint fluid, if arthritis occurs as a result of infection. The bacterium can be grown in culture. Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) can also be used to make a diagnosis. If diagnosis is early, prompt treatment with appropriate antibiotics will lead to recovery. Delay in treatment, however, will adversely affect survival.

Another possible consequence of infection is the occurrence of toxic shock syndrome (TSS). This syndrome is also associated with other streptococcal and staphylococcal infections. This may lead to severe damage of many vital organs, including the liver, kidneys and circulatory system. TSS is only partially responsive to treatment with antibiotics, and intensive supportive care is required. If TSS, occurs the outcome is likely to be worse.

Prevention of the disease in humans depends upon control in pig populations. This presents a difficult challenge to veterinary authorities and the pig industry. In serious outbreak situations, there should be strict controls on animal movements and slaughtering. The second line of defence relies on increasing awareness of the disease within those at highest risk. Awareness should extend to everyone who prepares and cooks pork, including those doing so in their homes. Those with open wounds should wear gloves when handling raw or uncooked pork, and all those who prepare pork should wash their hands and clean their utensils thoroughly after preparation. Adequate cooking is also essential. WHO recommends that pork should be cooked to reach an internal temperature of 70�C, or until the juices are clear rather than pink.

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 6:29pm
Those with open wounds should wear gloves when handling raw or uncooked pork, and all those who prepare pork should wash their hands and clean their utensils thoroughly after preparation. Adequate cooking is also essential. WHO recommends that pork should be cooked to reach an internal temperature of 70�C, or until the juices are clear rather than pink.
we keep it real simple...    no raw meat.   we buy chicken or turkey already cooked.

or we toss the frozen poultry into the dish.... into the oven.

we also buy frozen fish and ... into the oven it goes.   (never farmed ... yuk )

Meat is not the biggie.... fruits and veggies are.

We Love Indian Cuisine

put some pulses in your preps...

Samosa

video

Mango ice cream

video

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2009 at 7:27pm
Curtain lowering from brief window of news. Just as this morning picked up the news of widespread massive flu in China- once more the veil is dropping as quickly as it lifted.
Moving away from the much too revealing news of not only the extent at which it is spreading throughout China, comes the barrage on the search engines of coverup news making it even more difficult to track back to the original story and what WHOs reaction is. So far, there has been no official comment made on the breaking news or on the Red Orbit coverage of a possible 20% CFR.

The windows of information into what is happening Avian or Swine Flu wise in China are sometimes very brief. One instance early this year after a rash of Avian Flu outbreaks in the first quarter of 2009, then there was only silence.

Now only 15 hours from when this story was picked up on the wire, the curtain descends once more. Both cases originally picked up on a less known search engine are gone and now we must include -2008 -2007 -2005 to avoid an avalanche of search engine dummies which push the entry far below the first few pages on the search or off all together.

Both entries and pages present this morning from AFT are gone replaced by a lonely entry from EIN yesterday.

second post- which turned up as a august 1st post on my engine has already been sacked - but the first is stilll hanging in there.   Med

>posting<
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2009 at 7:56am
Originally posted by Medclinician Medclinician wrote:

I have deleted the entire article. I do capture these in a non-net connected memory device-a buffer- but it would be a stretch to explain this to readers. My engine I use has a publish filter and when the article is found it will read posted on ... date.

however this article had everything to do with swine flu

CHENGDU, China (Reuters) - Near the epicenter of China's worst outbreak of swine flu in years, Lao Luo is too busy stuffing his face with pork dumplings to care.

unless we start getting into the definition of swine flu- and as already the story is morphing into pneumonic plague instead of influenza a (suddenly we have this huge outbreak of a totally different disease)

I have put up twice the death in China of a person by Swine Flu. Dozens of times there after it has been declared there have been no deaths.

We have discussed dynamic web pages- news pages (which of course change) but the search engines contain the original story and date. I am trying to locate the buffer for this link.

If nothing else- and I felt this link was the weaker of the two and would be questioned- the first link is solid, current, and the China daily. After weeks of silence we have the admission of a massive outbreak of swine flu - i.e. H1N1 in China - a few days ago. I think this link.. preceding post will hold up.. no matter what is done to detract from it.

Medclinician

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2009 at 8:16am
backing up to events leading to the massive spread in China

http://www.nj.com/newsflash/index.ssf?/base/international-9/1248538038270960.xml&storylist=health

China says 36 schoolchildren sick with swine flu

7/25/2009, 11:13 a.m. EDT The Associated Press 

http://www.nj.com/newsflash/index.ssf?/base/international-9/1248538038270960.xml&storylist=health

(AP) — BEIJING - A group of 36 primary students who attended a summer school in Beijing were hospitalized with swine flu, a state news agency said Saturday.

The students were among 80 students at a training camp on July 11-20, the Xinhua News Agency said, citing the Beijing health bureau. The other students were quarantined for observation.

China has acted aggressively to detect and contain swine flu cases after being accused of failing to move quickly enough to stop the 2003 outbreak of SARS.

< ="http://ads.nj.com/RealMedia/ads/adstream_jx.ads/www.nj.com//story/ap/__///@StoryAd" ="1.1">

The Health Ministry said Friday that 1,852 cases of H1N1 swine flu have been reported. None has been fatal.

This past week, the British embassy reported that nine visiting British students were diagnosed with swine flu and 107 of their classmates and teachers were quarantined. American students who were in Beijing for a volleyball camp also have been quarantined.

dr d View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2009 at 4:02pm
Suzi
THe ACIP the group which is charged with the flu vaccination and "who's first"in  line,has stated to physicians this past Wednesday that the infection rate here in the USA is "between 22% to 33%".
So if they are admitting one million cases and the infection rate is 22%of the pop. how far away from reality are they willing to be to keep the populace complacent??
We ahve had a "rash" of pneumonias here with high mortality rates. Etiology undetermined
Dr d
Technologist View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technologist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2009 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by dr d dr d wrote:

Suzi
THe ACIP the group which is charged with the flu vaccination and "who's first"in  line,has stated to physicians this past Wednesday that the infection rate here in the USA is "between 22% to 33%".

So if they are admitting one million cases and the infection rate is 22%of the pop. how far away from reality are they willing to be to keep the populace complacent??

We ahve had a "rash" of pneumonias here with high mortality rates. Etiology undetermined

Dr. D, I really doubt the infection rate is already 22-33% in the US. 33% would mean 100 million people are infected. If it was 22-33% then in two weeks we would see a "very large" number of deaths. If we don't see a huge amount of deaths then it's not 22-33% or the mortality rate is ridiculously low. I think it's only 1-2% but will hit 30-50% in the next 12-18 months. I saw three people coughing at the stores this week out of thousands of people. Give it 6-8 weeks and then we might see those numbers you quoted.
Suzi1 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2009 at 6:02pm
When someone dies of pneumonia will they be tested for Swine Flu. If not we can forget all their numbers.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2009 at 7:43pm
We are not going to get any good numbers. We need to start depending on the Swine Flu site when this hits. We will each of us who have volunteered report deaths as reported in local news.

We will not have accurate numbers from our government I guarantee that!
happiness is View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happiness is Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2009 at 9:29pm

Knowing Dr d as I do,if she says those are the numbers then that's what they are. And given that she told me that my B'day gifts would be a good crossbow and freeze dried foods of varying kinds.Yeah I'm thinking this fall is going to suck a swamp thru a straw...so much for  our European honeymoonOuch

dreamer
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2009 at 10:29pm
When someone dies of pneumonia will they be tested for Swine Flu.

good question.  from what I read they do take data from people hospitalised ...
they have a chart they use to determine upon entry if they will test for H1N1
and when the person can't breathe they will do many things.....

this will show some of the things they are doing with patients that are hospitalized.
perhaps one of our questions is... will they share specific data with the public?  will they have time or will they feel it is not good for mental health to give the hard core details?
Reporters may ask...

Results of other routine tests were within normal limits.

The following bacterial cultures obtained within 24 hours after admission were negative: cultures of blood specimens from six patients, of bronchial aspirate samples from two patients, and of pleural-fluid specimens from one patient. Three of these patients had received antibiotics within 24 to 48 hours before admission. No other respiratory viruses or atypical bacteria were identified by means of PCR assay in any patient tested.

All 18 patients had radiologically confirmed pneumonia (Figure 3A, and Fig. S2 and S3 in the Supplementary Appendix) with bilateral patchy alveolar opacities (predominantly basal), affecting three or four lung quadrants in 11 patients. Also common were linear, reticular, or nodular shadows (interstitial opacities). Findings on chest radiographs were consistent with the acute respiratory distress syndrome in all patients requiring mechanical ventilation.11

Source

Published at www.nejm.org June 29, 2009 (10.1056/NEJMoa0904252)

Pneumonia and Respiratory Failure from Swine-Origin Influenza A (H1N1) in Mexico

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2009 at 9:19am
Originally posted by FluMom FluMom wrote:

We are not going to get any good numbers. We need to start depending on the Swine Flu site when this hits. We will each of us who have volunteered report deaths as reported in local news.

We will not have accurate numbers from our government I guarantee that!

Though listed- Medclinician cannot access the swineflu site and the email it goes to is none existent. I cannot post on swineflu.org.

Med
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2009 at 9:31am
Originally posted by Mary008 Mary008 wrote:

Results of other routine tests were within normal limits.

The following bacterial cultures obtained within 24 hours after admission were negative: cultures of blood specimens from six patients, of bronchial aspirate samples from two patients, and of pleural-fluid specimens from one patient. Three of these patients had received antibiotics within 24 to 48 hours before admission. No other respiratory viruses or atypical bacteria were identified by means of PCR assay in any patient tested.

All 18 patients had radiologically confirmed pneumonia (Figure 3A, and Fig. S2 and S3 in the Supplementary Appendix) with bilateral patchy alveolar opacities (predominantly basal), affecting three or four lung quadrants in 11 patients. Also common were linear, reticular, or nodular shadows (interstitial opacities). Findings on chest radiographs were consistent with the acute respiratory distress syndrome in all patients requiring mechanical ventilation.11

Source

Published at www.nejm.org June 29, 2009 (10.1056/NEJMoa0904252)

Pneumonia and Respiratory Failure from Swine-Origin Influenza A (H1N1) in Mexico

Mary- you realize that this isn't going to mean much to the layman reader. I am seeing a shift in China where suddenly we have a massive outbreak of pneumonia (the mother of all misdiagnosed viruses) for a scape goat of Swine Flu.

It is much like mixing up Dengue Fever with H5N1. This is not a primary lung bug- it has a 40% incidence of GI symptoms, and people who die from it, 50% have other problems and often their death is diagnosed as the cause of one of these problems.

All of this put together makes for a great catch pit of diagnosis of Swine Flu as pneumonia. How accurate if PCR in catching all pneumonia viruses.

http://www.mdconsult.com/das/article/body/152471900-2/jorg=journal&source=&sp=19712438&sid=0/N/596715/1.html?issn=

http://journals.lww.com/co-infectiousdiseases/Abstract/2009/04000/Viral_pneumonia.10.aspx

Med
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2009 at 9:33am
you realize that this isn't going to mean much to the layman reader.

I beg to differ...   :)

40% incidence of GI symptoms

this is ...much higher.. than the number I find...

the point was....  to give an idea of the tets given to people identified as H1N1 "flu Patients"

who are hospitalized ...and the tests that are done on them...

from the Med Journal-

No other respiratory viruses or atypical bacteria were identified by means of PCR assay in any patient tested.

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2009 at 9:49am
Originally posted by Mary008 Mary008 wrote:

you realize that this isn't going to mean much to the layman reader.

I beg to differ...   :)

40% incidence of GI symptoms

this is ...much higher.. than the number I find...

I had several links to 40% - but they are no longer functional... however here is one to 30%- of course this will vary- but almost 1/3 is a significant number with GI symptoms.

Related versions of the same strain of swine flu that mainly circulated in pigs infected at least 11 people in the US from 2005 through 2009, CDC researchers said in another study in the New England Journal of Medicine. Those patients suffered standard flu symptoms, such as fever and cough, and about 30 percent had some diarrhea, said the scientists, who were led by Vivek Shinde, a CDC influenza expert.

http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/home/science/10041-experts-swine-flu-ancestors-may-protect-elderly.html

here is your 40%

http://health.taragana.net/articles/researchers-say-swine-flu-inefficient-in-binding-to-nose-and-throat-but-could-get-worse/

Also Thursday, Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said the U.S. will provide 420,000 treatment courses of the anti-viral medicine Tamiflu to the Pan-American Health Organization to help fight the flu in Latin America and the Caribbean. “All of us have a responsibility to help support one another in the face of this challenge,” Sebelius said at a meeting of health ministers in Mexico.

Sasisekharan’s paper, meanwhile, warned that the H1N1 strain might just need a single change or mutation to make it resistant to Tamiflu.

The researchers also noted that the new virus is more active in the gastrointestinal tract than seasonal flu, leading to intestinal distress and vomiting in about 40 percent of those infected.

This is solid.

Medclinician

dr d View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2009 at 10:07am

hicpac IS THE SITE BUT IT HAS BEEN REMOVED FOR THE PERCENTAGES. wILL TRY ANOTHER SOURCE FOR THIS 40% IS CORRECT FOR GI WE ARE BEING TOLD THAT TOO. hOLDS TRUE IN THE OFFICE AS WELL

Dr d
waenderer View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waenderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2009 at 11:56am
i am always very sceptical for any news that begins with: " medical experts say....."
if there is no specifis name or link...it is bull """ a lot of times.
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2009 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by waenderer waenderer wrote:

i am always very sceptical for any news that begins with: " medical experts say....."
if there is no specifis name or link...it is bull """ a lot of times.

True, but when you have fairly solid scientific published and peer reviewed studies, or at least within shooting range of peers, this is a fairly solid thing. You need to blame the press who invariably are sloppy in their medical experts say- without siting the study or scientists. It has gotten so fierce on here sometimes, I will go directly to articles from Lancet or American Journal where you have 50 or so scientists- most PHDs and many M.D.s on the same note- and that is a pretty solid wall.

You generally have a PI (Primary Investigator) on any research projects, sometimes there are co investigators, and then others involved. You have to consider something valid. Tack on a Harvard or Stanford or Madison- (that one is for Wisconsin)- you have some pretty reliable quality control. Despite the consistent misinformed media, there still are some real scientists left on the planet, and their research is valid.

Medclinician
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2009 at 12:38pm

WHO Pacific Region Report

http://www.wpro.who.int/media_centre/news/news_20090804.htm

MANILA, 4 August 2009, 1600 hrs–Health officials in Taiwan (China) urged planners of mass gatherings to include public health measures in their preparations, after several participants at a student conference were diagnosed last week with Pandemic (H1N1) 2009.

Six students at a medical students’ conference tested positive for the virus, according to the Central Epidemic Command Centre (CECC) in Taipei. The CECC advised event organizers to implement voluntary screening of participants for influenza-like illness, detect and isolate any person with such illness as early as possible, and encourage participants and staff to wash their hands frequently and practice good cough and sneeze etiquette.

The Ministry of Health in Taiwan (China) said outpatient visits due to influenza-like illness had been increasing for the past month, as had emergency room visits by patients with influenza-like symptoms. Last week, Taiwan (China) reported its first death related to Pandemic (H1N1) 2009, a 39-year old person with pre-existing health conditions including chronic hepatitis B, according to local media reports.

The number of fatalities in the Western Pacific Region stands at 112, following the deaths in Malaysia of two people infected with Pandemic (H1N1) 2009. Local media reports in Malaysia said the deceased were a 23-year-old new mother and a 51-year old female teacher.

Australia has reported 70 deaths related to the virus, the highest number of fatalities of any country, territory or area in the Western Pacific Region. Australia is at the "protect" phase of health management for the virus, which is focused on caring for the most medically vulnerable and patients with severe disease.

In New Zealand, which has reported 14 deaths associated with the virus, Health Ministry Tony Ryall said health facilities were coping better as the number of hospital admissions and the need for intensive care beds had dropped off in recent days.

“It’s is too early to say whether this signals any weakening in pandemic influenza or whether we are seeing the normal fluctuation that you expect, particularly with a new virus”, said Mr Ryall. “It is common for influenza numbers to rise and fall over several months and this pandemic may follow a similar pattern.”

Several countries in the Western Pacific Region have shifted from containment to a mitigation phase in response to Pandemic (H1N1) 2009, and are no longer testing all suspected cases nor reporting new confirmed cases daily. As a result, the actual number of infections in the Region is likely to be higher than official WHO figures.

medclinician

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic