Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

WHO warning of severe form of Swine Flu

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WHO warning of severe form of Swine Flu
    Posted: September 03 2009 at 8:05am
WHO Warns of Severe Form of Swine Flu
9/1/2009 © Reuters
WASHINGTON, DC -
Doctors are reporting a severe form of swine flu that goes straight to the lungs, causing severe illness in otherwise healthy young people and requiring expensive hospital treatment, the World Health Organisation said on Friday.

Some countries are reporting that as many as 15 percent of patients infected with the new H1N1 pandemic virus need hospital care, further straining already overburdened healthcare systems, WHO said in an update on the pandemic. "During the winter season in the southern hemisphere, several countries have viewed the need for intensive care as the greatest burden on health services," it said. "Preparedness measures need to anticipate this increased demand on intensive care units, which could be overwhelmed by a sudden surge in the number of severe cases."

Earlier, WHO reported that H1N1 had reached epidemic levels in Japan, signalling an early start to what may be a long influenza season this year, and that it was also worsening in tropical regions. "Perhaps most significantly, clinicians from around the world are reporting a very severe form of disease, also in young and otherwise healthy people, which is rarely seen during seasonal influenza infections," WHO said. "In these patients, the virus directly infects the lung, causing severe respiratory failure. Saving these lives depends on highly specialized and demanding care in intensive care units, usually with long and costly stays."

Minorities at Risk

Minority groups and indigenous populations may also have a higher risk of being severely ill with H1N1. "In some studies, the risk in these groups is four to five times higher than in the general population," WHO said. "Although the reasons are not fully understood, possible explanations include lower standards of living and poor overall health status, including a high prevalence of conditions such as asthma, diabetes and hypertension."

WHO said it was advising countries in the Northern Hemisphere to prepare for a second wave of pandemic spread. "Countries with tropical climates, where the pandemic virus arrived later than elsewhere, also need to prepare for an increasing number of cases," it said.

Every year, seasonal flu infects between 5 percent and 20 percent of a given population and kills between 250,000 and 500,000 people globally. Because hardly anyone has immunity to the new H1N1 virus, experts believe it will infect far more people than usual, as much as a third of the population.

It also disproportionately affects younger people, unlike seasonal flu which mainly burdens the elderly, and thus may cause more severe illness and deaths among young adults and children than seasonal flu does. "Data continue to show that certain medical conditions increase the risk of severe and fatal illness. These include respiratory disease, notably asthma, cardiovascular disease, diabetes and immunosuppression," WHO said. "When anticipating the impact of the pandemic as more people become infected, health officials need to be aware that many of these predisposing conditions have become much more widespread in recent decades, thus increasing the pool of vulnerable people." WHO estimates that more than 230 million people globally have asthma, and more than 220 million have diabetes. Obesity may also worsen the risk of severe infection, WHO said.

The good news -- people infected with AIDS virus do not seem to be at special risk from H1N1, WHO said.

Medclincian R.N.

mjm1 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 9:13am
Odd - I saw pretty much the exact story the other week or so ago, and it was determined to be a mistake, in that it isn't a new form of H1N1, just that it affects some people more severely - is this just a rehash, or am I missing something?   I see the date of 9/1.

Incidentally, Med, please continue to post your info and links.  Would appreciate it if you backed up everything with hard data or links to reputable sources, not hearsay or underground ******ter type stuff.  Underground ******ter, info from un-named or dubious sources weakens your credibility and makes you look like a nut.  Thanks.
Medclinician View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 9:26am
Originally posted by mjm1 mjm1 wrote:

Odd - I saw pretty much the exact story the other week or so ago, and it was determined to be a mistake, in that it isn't a new form of H1N1, just that it affects some people more severely - is this just a rehash, or am I missing something?   I see the date of 9/1.

Incidentally, Med, please continue to post your info and links.  Would appreciate it if you backed up everything with hard data or links to reputable sources, not hearsay or underground ******ter type stuff.  Underground ******ter, info from un-named or dubious sources weakens your credibility and makes you look like a nut.  Thanks.

Most reputable sources are not putting up the data we need to see in the U.S. Instead of the comment- post your link to what you read as well as to the part as to it being 'a mistake'.

Med
mjm1 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 9:45am
Well, here is pretty much the same story dated 8/29 -

though I thought I saw it earlier than that by a couple of days at least  -

Further, courtesy of "SF.org" -

"Some countries are reporting that as many as 15 percent of patients infected with the new H1N1 pandemic virus need hospital care, further straining already overburdened healthcare systems, WHO said in an update on the pandemic."

"During the winter season in the southern hemisphere, several countries have viewed the need for intensive care as the greatest burden on health services. Some cities in these countries report that nearly 15 percent of hospitalized cases have required intensive care. "

There is a slight difference between 15% of H1N1 cases being hospitalized (reported in the article) and 15% of hospitalized cases needing intensive care treatment (as quoted on WHO's site).

In addition, WHO actually reports that:

Evidence from multiple outbreak sites demonstrates that the H1N1 pandemic virus has rapidly established itself and is now the dominant influenza strain in most parts of the world. The pandemic will persist in the coming months as the virus continues to move through susceptible populations.

Close monitoring of viruses by a WHO network of laboratories shows that viruses from all outbreaks remain virtually identical. Studies have detected no signs that the virus has mutated to a more virulent or lethal form.

Likewise, the clinical picture of pandemic influenza is largely consistent across all countries. The overwhelming majority of patients continue to experience mild illness. Although the virus can cause very severe and fatal illness, also in young and healthy people, the number of such cases remains small.

So, my understanding is that there is no new strain, insofar as your article is referring to.  And yes, I am aware of the Brazil situation, among other things.
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 9:53am
The reason- taking hits here- is what is being posted is a 180 stance from CDC- who is immensely powerful. The posts concerning the mutation in Brazil- and the data are simply ignored.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2009-08-21-swine-flu-vaccine_N.htm

This is what we are up against in tracking the mutations since it went south.

H1N1 flu virus hasn't mutated, CDC officials report

By Elizabeth Weise, USA TODAY

The H1N1 flu strain doesn't appear to be mutating as it makes its way through the Southern Hemisphere,

comment: There it is and fairly evident why there is so much static as mutations (in Brazil) are put up and documented.  Basically because the most powerful mainstream source for disease has posted blatantly, there have been none.

the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said today in a briefing.

One of the biggest fears has been that the virus, which first appeared in April in the U.S. and Mexico and which people don't have any built-up immunity to, might mutate into an even more dangerous form. Health officials have been keeping a close watch on the Southern Hemisphere, which is in its winter season now, to see what form of the virus is likely to travel north as fall comes to the U.S. and the rest of the Northern Hemisphere.

yet-

http://www.stratfor.com/memberships/140458/analysis/20090617_brazil_new_swine_flu_strain_identified

http://www.examiner.com/x-7070-Web-Buzz-Examiner~y2009m6d17-New-H1N1-virus-mutation-found-what-it-means

A new H1N1 virus (aka swine flu) mutation, a subtype strain named A/Sao Paulo/1454/H1N1, has been isolated in a 26-year-old patient in Brazil. With the new H1N1 mutation comes fear that the current pandemic swine flu virus will spread more rapidly, possibly to new hosts and, yet, it is unknown if such mutation will prove more deadly than the current A(H1N1) pandemic.

The genetic sequence of the new H1N1 virus subtype (A/Sao Paulo/1454/H1N1) was isolated by a virology team lead by Terezinha Maria de Paiva at the Instituto Adolfo Lutz, formerly named Adolf Lutz Bacteriolocial Insitute – the latter an outdated name in use by many news reports -- located in San Palo, Brazil. [This name clarification may be useful when conducting online research on the new influenza A virus.]

Discovered in a patient on Tuesday, the new H1N1 virus mutation includes alterations in the hemagglutinin protein. Hemagglutinin is one of the reasons that the influenza virus is so effective as the protein allows the virus to infect new hosts.

Why is the new H1N1 virus subtype and mutation important?

Every couple of decades, a new strain of influenza appears that is far more infectious, allowing it to spread rapidly -- including that which occurred during the 1918/1919 H1N1 pandemic, or Spanish flu, which killed a roughly estimated 50 million people and infected at least 500 million.

The newly identified H1N1 virus strain -- a mutation from the A(H1N1) swine flu pandemic isolate -- may or may not prove more lethal or infectious, but scientists are concerned and vaccine efforts continue.

Additionally, the Insituto Adolfo Lutz website reveals details on A/Sao Paulo/1454/H1N1 but the related Technical Note is written in Portuguese-Spanish requiring translation for most readers. An excerpt and translation instructions follow.

he%20structure%20and%20receptor%20binding%20properties%20of%20the%201918%20influenza%20hemagglutinin
Photo (adaptation) of Hemagglutinin by TimVickers (Wikimedia)
"The structure and receptor binding properties of the 1918 influenza hemagglutinin"

Learn more about hemagglutinin and influenza at the RCSB Protein Data Bank and the multimedia exhibit at California Lutheran.

Excerpt from the Technical Note from Instituto Adolfo Lutz on a new type of influenza virus A (swine flu):

Human cases of respiratory infection caused by a new type of influenza virus A, subtype H1N1 were of porcine origin reported by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention from 21 April 2009. So far, the disease was detected in 73 countries, with 25.3 thousand confirmed cases, 139 of them fatal. The new virus presents a unique combination of gene segments that in the past had been reported between the influenza virus from swine or human origin.

In Chicago, the first case of human infection caused by the new strain was identified in a man of 26 years who presented the symptoms of flu to return from a trip to Mexico. The patient was hospitalized on April 24 at the Institute of Infectious Diseases Emilio Ribas and is fully recovered.

Respiratory secretion sample of this patient was subjected to molecular rt PCR methodology (§ reaà the polymerase chain in real time) with probe specific for the new subtype H1N1 by the team of molecular biologist Claudio Sacchi, and the result for the new viral subtype .

comment: sounds pretty mutation to me.

Medclinician who should change his handle to deathwish.
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 9:55am
Note the Brazilian mutation has not proved itself to be a more severe form- simply a more contagious one. However since now- as per some articles- the Brazilian death count is the highest in the world- this might be a clue that this genetic shift was trouble.

Medclinician
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 10:00am

Well, here is pretty much the same story dated 8/29 -

though I thought I saw it earlier than that by a couple of days at least  -

So, my understanding is that there is no new strain, insofar as your article is referring to.  And yes, I am aware of the Brazil situation, among other things.

How can you be aware of Brazil and state there is no new strain?  This is not a situation, it is a gene sequence. Either it is a mutation or its not.

Medclinician
mjm1 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 10:07am
I note, and refer back to your original article, which is almost identical to that posted days earlier, which was at issue (for me).

Further, one can say that the CDC is lying or simply not telling all they know, for whatever reason (which I do not buy).  One can further say that they are so powerful as to be able to effectively block the WHO from coming out and saying H1N1 has mutated and 1918 is coming our way (which I also don't buy, but can see conspiracy people saying that since the US pays 25%+ of the UN budget, we can push them around ,which is also patently false), that doesn't stop individual nations coming out with the "truth".

My personal opinion is that I suspect things will get worse, insofar as the SF is concerned (CFR), but that as of now, there has been no change in the virulence of the virus.  At least, it hasn't been confirmed.  I dismiss websites that I have never heard of before (unless I have followed them for some time and can attest to the veracity of them, or of certain posters contained therein).  The net is full of nuts and kooks.

One last point:  In one ofr your posts you showed that:

Brazil has world's highest swine flu death toll

August 27, 2009, 11:16 AM

Brazil's health ministry says Latin America's largest country has the world's highest swine flu death toll.

The ministry says 557 people have died of the disease, 35 more than second place United States. Argentina, where the disease has killed 439 people, has the third-highest death toll.

35 more deaths is hardly an indication of a mutation for the worst.  Time will tell, of course.

As always, your mileage may vary (YMMV), and Caveat Emptor.
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 10:22am

I  The net is full of nuts and kooks.

As always, your mileage may vary (YMMV), and Caveat Emptor.
The net is also full of deliberate misinformation and the same rule applies
You and readers must really focus on this obsession with destroying credibility when posting data which is adverse to the spin.

This may be one of my last posts since my IP just collapsed and I had to switch to Germany to login. I would never post the CDC is being untruthful. I am saying they have stated there have been no mutations and this is a mutation. A closer look shows this to be a strand variance- before my net went dark- you can refer to a Taiwan mutation as well which created a resistance to Tamiflu. There are at least 15 links to the Brazil mutation in separate publications. There are many to the Taiwan changes.

At issue here is posting there have been mutations and trying to use foreign links to establish there have.

It is probably not an issue I should push if I wish to remain on the network at all anywhere. But either this strand changed or it did not and either that effect the behavior of the virus or it doesn't. Whether you label it a new strain is moot point.

It matters. If the virus changes enough- the new vaccine designed based on the California strain either will be less effective or not work at all.

Understand, over the last few days, since the beginning of the Second Wave- posting it beginning in Florida- the start of giving vaccines for seasonal flu- when 100% is H1n1- and the absence of even what is in the new vaccine- is pretty sensitive.

Obviously, one or a few scientists does not have the resources to take on what may be huge information going out in the media. If I vanish- it is not because I was deranged- it was because of what I posted.

So why is the Brazil strand alteration not significant?

Med 
mjm1 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 10:34am
Med- -please post as long as you are able to.

The rest of us will "Caveat Emptor" - not a hard thing to do.  Thanks.

(I understand IPs and proxies and such - they don't collapse - in the case of proxies, they get shut down - have to get a new one)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic