Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Executive Order granting INTERPOL full immunity
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Executive Order granting INTERPOL full immunity

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjf53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Executive Order granting INTERPOL full immunity
    Posted: January 01 2010 at 3:00pm
HAPPY 2010 Everyone !!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For Immediate Release December 17, 2009
Executive Order -- Amending Executive Order 12425
EXECUTIVE ORDER

Wasn't the MSM and everyone up in arms about the Patriot Act?  This Executive order should have them screaming at the top of their lungs.  This goes way beyond the Patriot Act, I would think.

Could someone please explain this to me? Turboguy?  KSM and terrorists are accorded our basic citizens rights with legal representations and trials in our courts but now Interpol can come in and do whatever they want to US citizens with no representation or due process?  Am I reading this  correctly?

Since Interpol's, US Headquarters and the Justice Department in Washington (DOJ) share the same building.  RED FLAG.....Files could be conveniently transferred to Interpol never to seen again or accessed by our Congress or by the general public for FIOA.purposes.  Something smells fishy to me.

Is my concern justified?  This was done on 12/16/09 before the Christmas Day terrorist flight to Detroit. Please tell me the benefits of this order to ease the cynically minded.

Executive Order #12425 allows INTERPOL the absolute authority to investigate, charge, and imprison, and extradite Americans—without having to adhere to the same constitutional laws that American law enforcement agencies are required to abide by. Additionally, the International Criminal Police Organization is authorized to conduct covert surveillance and investigations on American soil—with full immunities from US law. Laws such as the Freedom of Information Act, Congressional oversight, Constitutional protections, and without oversight from the FBI who is charged with the responsibility of internal national Security.

It also allows INTERPOL, wherever and by whomever to be immune from search, confiscation, and INTERPOL isn’t required to show proof or any other documentation concerning its investigations.
It also means that INTERPOL can conduct covert operations against Americans without any accountability to anyone.

“On Wednesday, however, for no apparent reason, President Obama issued an executive order removing the Reagan limitations. That is, Interpol's property and assets are no longer subject to search and confiscation, and its archives are now considered inviolable.
This international police force (whose U.S. headquarters is in the Justice Department in Washington) will be unrestrained by the U.S. Constitution and American law while it operates in the United States and affects both Americans and American interests outside the United States.”
Source:
http://corner.nationalreview.com/"

"INTERPOL, an international criminal police organization, is now poised to reside above the United States Constitution – in a place of sanctity beyond our FBI, CIA, DIA, and all other criminal investigatory domestic organizations.
President Obama has just placed our Constitutional rights under international law."

Executive Order: International Police Granted Full Immunity in US and Not Subject to FOIA Requests

http://biggovernment.com/2010/01/01/executive-order-international-police-granted-full-immunity-in-us-and-not-subject-to-foia-requests/#more-53578

by Larry O'Connor
In 1983, President Ronald Reagan issued an Executive Order which gave permission to the International Criminal Police Organization (INTERPOL) to operate within the boundaries of the United States.  Reagan’s EO put INTERPOL under the same basic guidelines as the CIA, FBI, ATF and other Federal law enforcement agencies.
Interpol_logo
Two weeks ago, without any announcement, debate, discussion or inquiry from journalists charged with “speaking truth to power” President Obama issued an amendment to this EO.  The amendment removed part of Reagan’s order that kept INTERPOL from having full diplomatic immunity while operating within the United States.  In other words:  Under Reagan and right up until two weeks ago, INTERPOL was authorized to operate within the USA but they did not have full diplomatic immunity and had to adhere to certain laws set forth for investigative agencies.  Laws that prohibit authorities from violating our constitutionally protected rights.
This story has begun to make the rounds at some other blogs and web sites.  Some scream about the on-set of the New World Order, some merely question the timing, motives and logic behind such a move while we are still fighting foreign wars and under threat of attack from Al Qaeda and other international terrorist bodies.  I certainly don’t walk down the New World Order/One World Government path, I don’t look good in tin-foil hats… but, I do wonder why this move was made so quietly and why the White House Press Corps has not made any hay about it.
I also wonder why my friends on the left, who screamed from the rooftops about phone companies conducting analysis of phone calls made from the US to known over-seas terrorists, about members of the Saudi family being allowed to leave the country in the days following 9/11, about the EVILS of the Patriot Act and how it would lead to the stripping of basic civil rights to anyone checking out a book in a library.  I wonder how they feel about the President granting permission to an international organization to operate within our borders under full diplomatic immunity.
One other tasty tidbit:  Due to the amended language created by President Obama, INTERPOL is now, no longer subject to Freedom of Information Act Inquiries.

"Mr. President, is it true that due to your amendment to Executive Order 12425, INTERPOL may break into a home without a warrant, seize private property of a US citizen, hold a citizen for questioning without the right of legal representation and not be subject to any legal or criminal repercussion?”

I’d really like them to ask that question.  Wouldn’t you?
---------------------------------------------------------------------

For those of you who are cynically minded......read below.

Please read the full article.

By removing language from President Reagan's 1983 Executive Order 12425, this international law enforcement body now operates - now operates - on American soil beyond the reach of our own top law enforcement arm, the FBI, and is immune from Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA) requests.
For Immediate Release December 17, 2009
Executive Order -- Amending Executive Order 12425
EXECUTIVE ORDER
- - - - - - -
AMENDING EXECUTIVE ORDER 12425 DESIGNATING INTERPOL
AS A PUBLIC INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATION ENTITLED TO
ENJOY CERTAIN PRIVILEGES, EXEMPTIONS, AND IMMUNITIES
By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, including section 1 of the International Organizations Immunities Act (22 U.S.C. 288), and in order to extend the appropriate privileges, exemptions, and immunities to the International Criminal Police Organization (INTERPOL), it is hereby ordered that Executive Order 12425 of June 16, 1983, as amended, is further amended by deleting from the first sentence the words "except those provided by Section 2©, Section 3, Section 4, Section 5, and Section 6 of that Act" and the semicolon that immediately precedes them.
BARACK OBAMA
THE WHITE HOUSE,
December 16, 2009
cont...............................................

CONCLUSIONS
In light of what we know and can observe, it is our logical conclusion that President Obama's Executive Order amending President Ronald Reagans' 1983 EO 12425 and placing INTERPOL above the United States Constitution and beyond the legal reach of our own top law enforcement is a precursor to more damaging moves.

The pre-requisite conditions regarding the Iraq withdrawal and the Guantanamo Bay terrorist detention facility closure will continue their course. meanwhile, the next move from President Obama is likely an attempt to dissolve the agreements made between President Bush and other states preventing them from turning over American military forces to the ICC (via INTERPOL) for war crimes or any other prosecutions.

When the paths on the road map converge - Iraq withdrawal, Guantánamo closure, perceived American image improved internationally, and an empowered INTERPOL in the United States - it is probable that President Barack Obama will once again make America a signatory to the International Criminal Court. It will be a move that surrenders American sovereignty to an international body whose INTERPOL enforcement arm has already been elevated above the Constitution and American domestic law enforcement.

For an added and disturbing wrinkle, INTERPOL's central operations office in the United States is within our own Justice Department offices. They are American law enforcement officers working under the aegis of INTERPOL within our own Justice Department. That they now operate with full diplomatic immunity and with "inviolable archives" from within our own buildings should send red flags soaring into the clouds.
This is the disturbing context for President Obama's quiet release of an amended Executive Order 12425. American sovereignty hangs in the balance if these actions are not prevented through public outcry and political pressure. Some Americans are paying attention, as can be seen from some of the earliest recognitions of this troubling development here, here and here. But the discussion must extend well beyond the Internet and social media.

Ultimately, a detailed verbal explanation is due the American public from the President of the United States detailing why an international law enforcement arm assisting a court we are not a signatory to has been elevated above our Constitution upon our soil.
3:00 AM | Permalink | Print

Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2010 at 4:05pm
sjf53,what else did you expect from a government that has a goal of making us a third world country.Johnray
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2010 at 7:40pm
This President and Congress are under the impression that international laws should have jurisdiction over US citizens, which they should not now, and never should have.

The day an Interpol agent tries to arrest anyone in my country will be the same day I hope to see an Interpol agent with a bullet wound to the head. Same goes for the UN who is mistakenly licking their chops at the idea they might have an ounce of power over the last semi free people on Earth.

I hope the UN tries, we'll be sending Jock and Claus back in a bodybag.

This utter failure of a Congress and President have to work fast if they want this garbage to come to pass. I'm sure they know their days are numbered. November 2010 is right around the corner and since the things they've done thus far have been so wildly unpopular I think they're pretty much done and they know it.
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2010 at 10:07pm
Turboguy ,I agree with you completely..I feel better knowing that I have guys like you protecting me.. Johnray1
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2010 at 11:39pm

All of Texas is saluting Turbo....     :)
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2010 at 12:02am
Originally posted by Mary008 Mary008 wrote:

Nope, Montana.

Maybe Texas too. Both have threatened secession over the Anti American garbage our elected officials in DC are shatting out every day.

And JohnRay, what's with your "friend" Med? He did something that is totally inexcusable a while back. Now he's telling everyone that he's sick with the flu yet again.

Now I'm in great shape, work out every day, eat healthy, etc. When I got the flu it was nearly totally disabling! Med's talking like he's had this damn thing for the last eight months straight! As an elderly man, I'd expect that it'd kill him! Also he's spreading your personal medical information around.
sjf53 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjf53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2010 at 12:25am
I hope I am wrong but the more I have read up on this subject  the more I believe (my opinion) is that the recent executive order regarding Interpol's immunity has to do with transferring files to the ICC.  Interpol is the enforcer for 
The International Criminal Court.  The ICC is a way to by-pass the American Court System to try Americans for War Crimes.  Even if our court systems have cleared American cases, the ICC if signed will supercede our courts and Americans can be retried on the International stage.  Thus giving up some of our sovereignty / constitutional rights to an International Court.

There is a an ICC Review Conference in 2010 and the pressure is being put (like Copenhagen) on this administration to sign on and participate.  Many in this administration are pushing for it.  Hillary Clinton, Secretary of State and Harold Koh, Obama's Legal Advisor  See Articles below.

Prosecuting American 'War Crimes'

The International Criminal Court claims jurisdiction over U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan.

The Hague

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton expressed "great regret" in August that the U.S. is not a signatory to the International Criminal Court (ICC). This has fueled speculation that the Obama administration may reverse another Bush policy and sign up for what could lead to the trial of Americans for war crimes in The Hague."

Please continue article............................

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PRESS RELEASE: Coalition calls for prompt Administration action on the International Criminal Court

For Immediate Release April 17, 2009

Contact Diane Hodges 678-793-7060

Washington, D.C. --  More than two dozen human rights, legal and religious organizations, including Amnesty International, Human Rights First, the International Crisis Group and Citizens for Global Solutions, have sent a letter to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, urging the Obama administration to quickly declare its support for the International Criminal Court. 

cont.......................................................

Letter to Hillary Rodham Clinton

April 16, 2009

The Honorable Hillary Rodham Clinton
U.S. Department of State
2201 C Street NW Room 7226
Washington, DC 20520

Dear Madam Secretary:

We write to urge that the current review of United States policy on the International Criminal Court [ICC] be completed quickly, and that it lead to three results: US participation in the Court’s meetings to complete its formation; extensive and thorough US cooperation with and support to the Court in its prosecutions and trials; and action to declare emphatically that US relations with the Court are in an entirely new era. The historic ICC arrest warrant for Sudanese president Omar al-Bashir makes these steps especially urgent. The United States is now in the odd and unsustainable position of strongly endorsing the most important action that the ICC has ever taken while evading any commitment to support or participate in it as an institution.  

Participation would be an active and constructive attendance at the ICC Review Conference in 2010 and at the meetings preparing for it; cooperation and support would be based on a policy statement and on open formal arrangements to implement it; and the emphatic action would be reinstatement of the US signature of the Court’s Rome Statute. These three activities are interrelated, mutually reinforcing and offer substantial benefits for American national interests and for the United States’ international reputation and ability to influence other countries, all, with a very small investment of time, money and effort.  These actions were endorsed by the American Bar in a resolution by its House of Delegates last August, and similar actions were just recommended by a task force of the American Society of International Law. 

cont.................Followed by a list of organizations supporting the ICC.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, August 6 7:30 pm EST

Speaking in Kenya, U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton said it is a “great regret” that the US is not a member of the International Criminal Court (ICC) in the Hague, the Associated Press reports.

The ICC was established in 2002 as the first ever permanent, treaty based tribunal for trying genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity, building on the foundations of the ad hoc tribunals (ICTR, ICTY) created in the 1990s.  It is currently investigating situations in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, the Central African Republic, Uganda and Sudan.

Rodham Clinton’s husband, former President Bill Clinton, originally signed the Rome Statute (the ICC’s underlying treaty) in 2000.  But the treaty was never ratified by Congress and was then ‘unsigned’ by George W. Bush in 2002, on worries about US citizens being brought before the court.

US opposition to the ICC was then further cemented by the enactment of the American Service-Members’ Protection Act, a law authorizing the use of any means necessary to free any US or allied personnel brought to the ICC - effectively a conditional authorization of US intervention in the Netherlands.

Thus the Secretary’s statements indicate a significant policy shift in favor of the court. But for those that hope this shift will result in imminent US membership, reports that the administration in fact remains split on the issue show that this may not happen anytime soon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Title II: American Servicemembers' Protection Act - American Servicemembers' Protection Act of 2002 - Prohibits U.S. cooperation with the International Criminal Court. Specifies restrictions on: (1) participation by covered U.S. persons in United Nations (UN) peacekeeping and peace enforcement operations; (2) transfer to the Court of U.S. classified national security and law enforcement information; and (3) the provision of U.S. military assistance, with specified exceptions, to the government of a country that is a party to the Court.

(Sec. 2003) Prescribes conditions for a presidential waiver of the prohibitions and requirements of this Act.

(Sec. 2004) Declares that the requirements of this Act shall not prohibit: (1) any action authorized by the President to bring about the release from captivity of any U.S. military personnel (covered U.S. persons) and certain other persons (covered allied persons) who are being detained or imprisoned against their will by or on behalf of the Court; or (2) communication by the United States of its policy with respect to a matter.

(Sec. 2008) Authorizes the President to use all means necessary (including the provision of legal assistance) to bring about the release of covered U.S. persons and covered allied persons held captive by, on behalf, or at the request of the Court.

(Sec. 2009) Urges the President to report to appropriate congressional committees on the degree to which: (1) each military alliance to which the United States is a party may place U.S. armed forces under foreign control subject to the Court's jurisdiction; and (2) U.S. armed forces engaged in military operations pursuant to such alliance may be exposed to greater risks as a result of being placed under such foreign control.

(Sec. 2010) Authorizes funds withheld from the U.S. share of assessments to the UN or other international organizations pursuant to the Admiral James W. Nance and Meg Donovan Foreign Relations Authorization Act, Fiscal Years 2000 and 2001 to be transferred to the Embassy Security, Construction and Maintenance Account of the Department of State.

(Sec. 2011) Sets forth the relationship between the President's exercise of his constitutional authority as Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces, this Act, and actions taken with respect to a specific matter involving the Court, requiring congressional notification as specified.

(Sec. 2014) Amends the Department of Defense Appropriations Act, 2002 to repeal the limitation on use of division A funds to provide assistance to the International Criminal Court or its prosecutorial activity.

(Sec. 2015) Permits the United States to continue rendering assistance to international efforts to bring to justice Saddam Hussein, Slobodan Milosevic, Osama bin Laden, other members of Al Qaeda, leaders of Islamic Jihad, and other foreign nationals accused of genocide, war crimes, or crimes against humanity.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UNHCR  The UN Refugee Agency

Title "European countries should defend the International Criminal Court and request the US authorities to withdraw the idea of impunity for US nationals"
Publisher Council of Europe: Commissioner for Human Rights
Publication Date 22 June 2009
Other Languages / Attachments Russian
Cite as Council of Europe: Commissioner for Human Rights, "European countries should defend the International Criminal Court and request the US authorities to withdraw the idea of impunity for US nationals", 22 June 2009, available at: http://www.unhcr.org/refworld/docid/4a7021f02.html [accessed 2 January 2010]
Comments Also available at the Commissioner's website at www.commissioner.coe.int.

"European countries should defend the International Criminal Court and request the US authorities to withdraw the idea of impunity for US nationals"

Cont.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2010 at 12:06pm
Turboguy,I do not know.Johnray1
Turboguy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turboguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2010 at 1:59pm
For SJF53:

I asked the question on a firearm/political forum and got another thread or four dedicated to this topic. You can find one here: LINK
Medclinician View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medclinician Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2010 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by Turboguy Turboguy wrote:

Originally posted by Mary008 Mary008 wrote:

Nope, Montana.

Maybe Texas too. Both have threatened secession over the Anti American garbage our elected officials in DC are shatting out every day.

And JohnRay, what's with your "friend" Med? He did something that is totally inexcusable a while back. Now he's telling everyone that he's sick with the flu yet again.

Now I'm in great shape, work out every day, eat healthy, etc. When I got the flu it was nearly totally disabling! Med's talking like he's had this damn thing for the last eight months straight! As an elderly man, I'd expect that it'd kill him! Also he's spreading your personal medical information around.

No, actually as soon as this passes and I get better I will start working out again at the Y. I have been doing so since college- though I slacked off for a few years. What you are proposing is civil war and even in jest that is serious enough to bring intel down on you and be put on the list.

.gov is still .gov and that is your employer. Succeeding from the Union would be advocating revolution. How treasonous is that. Very.

It is not treasonous not to like war. I have said many times I support our troops- but if small armed groups start getting to wild- we will become a fascist state. Because they will call in the troops to fight.

I am neither small nor short and I can definitely- whatever can handle myself with a weapon.  This site is monitored and believe me- there is far more danger in a few people who not seen really carnage and been shot at- to appreciate the wisdom. That the world should not become a combat zone.  There are nukes now. And tactical nukes. You would start a nuclear exchange even if you could get the silos in Montana..

If JFK had been in your mind set we would have gotten nuked and our whole country wiped out. And secondly if we are fighting between our selves the terrorists will have field day. We will have the battleground here.

There is a place for wisdom. The U.N. has no teeth. We cannot merge as a world peacekeeping body  without a world peacekeeping force.

Soldiers bring the war home with them sometimes.

John Ray is my friend Turbo. And this is one thing you will not mess up. He has been and is still very ill. The U.S. is not a miniature Iraq- and I think you need some cool off time in Montana before you start shooting people.

The military is not going to back this and you would wind up in prison, not as a hero. There is a growing fascist element in America. They are heavily armed, and actually dangerous to the current administration. They don't represent the government when they start publicly the use of weapons not in a war zone to kill people. Everyone loves hero and we should be proud of our fihters

Obama is still our president and I honor that. He is our commander in chief and intelligence is not going to be so hot on this as well.

We cannot rule the planet. Every empire who tried eventually fell. I have relatives in Montana and I know it is a wild place- not of all of the U.S. is Montana.

I have seen people come back from 'Nam and just can't turn off the violent combat zone mind set.

http://www.interpol.int/

The U.N. has  no teeth. No military and cannot act in any global way to enforce anything that the a fe  w hopd upworld agrees to.

Well, long day

Med
sjf53 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjf53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2010 at 8:13pm
Harold Koh - President Obama's Legal Advisor to the US State Department

-1st article.......Views of Harold Koh as a Yale Law School Prof. - Relevant excerpt on the importance of US support for the ICC - July 9, 2003

-2nd article....Koh's testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee on the Constitution of Restoring the Rule of Law - Current Events are very similar to what Koh had envisioned in this testimony. Almost a playbook.  President Obama is definitely listening to Harold Koh.

Personally, I fear the ramifications of superceding our Country's Constitution and  Federal rule of law to an International Criminal Court. I do not trust the UN or the ICC to have the best interests of the US or it's citizens.
I also want to question....Since President Clinton signed  just a commitment to the ICC, what were the reasoning's Congress did not ratify it during his term in office?

July 9, 2003

Statement by Harold Hongju Koh, Bernice Latrobe Smith Professor of International Law Yale Law School, before the House International Relations Committee

Relevant excerpt on the importance of US support for the ICC:

The second goal, accountability, means bringing to account, civilly and/or criminally, those who are responsible for the most serious human rights violations. In the last administration, we pressed hard to support the development of a post-Cold War global justice system by supporting the International Criminal Tribunals for the Former Yugoslavia and Rwanda, mixed international- domestic tribunals in Cambodia and Sierra Leone, the Pinochet prosecution in Spain and Chile, the civil adjudication of international human rights violations in U.S. courts under the Alien Tort Claims Act, and, during his last days in office, President Clinton's signature of the International Criminal Court (ICC) Treaty. I congratulate this Administration, as its report chronicles, for continuing to support international accountability efforts in Cambodia, Sierra Leone, and East Timor.

The current administration faced four options with respect to this global justice system: first, continued support for its growth and development; second, constructive engagement, to encourage it to develop in a manner that served long-term American interests; third, benign neglect--to leave the system alone to evolve its own way; or fourth, declaring hostility to that system and placing the United States outside of it, in effect adopting a double standard toward global adjudication. Secretary Powell initially signaled to Congress his preference for benign neglect, but in recent months the Bush Administration has decisively opted, with three decisive measures, to pursue a hostile course.

First, in May 2002, the Administration sent the U.N.'s Secretary- General a letter seeking to "unsign" President Clinton's December 2000 signature of the International Criminal Court Treaty. Second, the administration's military commission scheme de facto "unsigned" our commitment to global adjudication by declaring that claims involving international crimes of terrorism should henceforth be heard not in international court, or even in U.S. civilian or military courts, but rather, in ad hoc military commissions under military control. Third, the Administration has pursued an extraordinarily counterproductive effort to bully countries who will not sign agreements exempting our citizens from ICC jurisdiction, initially vetoing extension of the U.N. law enforcement assistance mission in Bosnia because the Security Council would not grant an indefinite and universal exemption from ICC jurisdiction for all U.S. officials engaged in peacekeeping operations. As I speak, the Administration is devoting extraordinary political capital to threatening aid cutoffs against scores of nonsignatory countries whose support we will surely need in the continuing war against terrorism.

Each of these decisions ignores two realities. First, for more than half a century, the United States has promoted international criminal adjudication as being in our long-run national interest. Second, in many cases, supporting global adjudication has served U.S. national interests by sparing us from far more costly military interventions. Without the Yugoslav Tribunal, for example, it would have been hard for the United States to avoid sending troops to Belgrade to seize and oust Slobodan Milosevic.

The second Gulf War has already underscored America's shortsightedness in rejecting a permanent standing international criminal court. As the war began, President Bush announced that high-ranking Iraqi war criminals, including Saddam Hussein, would be prosecuted, raising the obvious question: "Where?" Iraqi courts are in shambles, and American courts will be viewed throughout the Mideast as prejudiced adjudicators. Neither the United States nor Iraq have ratified the ICC, eliminating that as a possible venue. Nor, given the intense misgivings that Security Council permanent members France and Russia expressed about the war, will the United States easily persuade the Security Council to create an ad hoc tribunal under chapter VII, as it did in spearheading the movements to create international tribunals to try war criminals from the former Yugoslavia and Rwanda. International legal structures like the ICC provide us with more, not fewer, options for ensuring accountability for human rights violators. By turning against the ICC just as it was coming into existence, the Administration has unwisely ceded any influence we might have had on that body to those who do not share our priorities and might now turn the court against us.

Please read.  From 2008, Very informative reading on his recommendations and is relevant to current events.

Harold Hongju Koh
September 16, 2008

Statement of Harold Hongju Koh
Dean and Gerard C. & Bernice Latrobe Smith Professor of International Law
Yale Law School

Before the Senate Judiciary Committee, Subcommittee on
The Constitution on
Restoring the Rule of Law
September 16, 2008

Mr. Chairman and Members of the Subcommittee:

Please Continue Reading...................

sjf53 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjf53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2010 at 8:29pm

April 27, 2009
State Department Legal Adviser Nominee Harold Koh: Questions on the Role of International Law in the U.S. Legal System
WebMemo #2414

On March 23, President Obama nominated Harold Koh to be the next Legal Adviser, which is the top legal position at the U.S. Department of State.

While Koh has had a distinguished career in government service and legal academia,[1] his views raise serious national security and constitutional questions. Koh's opinions regarding the role that international law and the rulings of foreign courts should play within the U.S. legal system should be explored during his Senate confirmation hearing before the Committee on Foreign Relations, currently scheduled for April 28.

Transnationalism v. American Sovereignty

A trend that runs through Koh's scholarship and public statements is the great weight that he gives to the authority of international courts and organizations. Koh should be questioned during his confirmation hearing regarding his views on crucial matters of national security, sovereignty, and the U.S. Constitution.

Such inquiries should include:

U.N. Security Council "Authorization" for Use of Force. In October 2002, you wrote that U.S. forces should not attack Saddam Hussein's Iraq "without explicit United Nations authorization" and that without U.N. authorization, "such an attack would violate international law."[2] These statements were made despite the fact that the U.S. Congress had already authorized the use of force against Iraq.

• Would you please describe under what circumstances you believe that the U.S. must receive authorization from the U.N. Security Council prior to using military force while remaining in compliance with international law?
  • Was the NATO bombing of Yugoslavia in 1999—an attack that was not "authorized" by the U.N. Security Council—a violation of international law?

The International Criminal Court (ICC). In November 2005, an ambush of a U.S. Marine convoy in Haditha, Iraq, resulted in tragic civilian deaths—deaths that many in the international community called a war crime. If, as you have advocated,[3] the U.S. were to ratify the Rome Statute of the ICC, the ICC prosecutor would have the power to bring war crimes indictments against those Marines if, in the prosecutor's opinion, the U.S. was "unwilling" to do so.

• Since the U.S. ultimately dropped all charges against most of the Marines involved in the Haditha incident, would they not be exposed to prosecution at the ICC if the U.S. were to ratify the Rome Statute?

Second Amendment Rights. In 2002, you argued that one of the most pressing issues facing the world is the need for "the global regulation of small arms" and that you support a "global gun control regime."[4] You also praised the Inter-American Convention Against the Illicit Manufacturing of and Trafficking in Firearms, Ammunition, Explosives, and Other Related Materials as "the best model" for the control of illicit manufacturing and trafficking. You stated that the convention requires states "to standardize national laws," that "the only meaningful mechanism to regulate illicit transfers is stronger domestic regulation," and that "supply-side control measures within the United States" were essential.

In this context, you proclaimed references to the constitutional right to bear arms as "needlessly provocative." Finally, you argued that the U.S. could support global gun control "without committing itself to a regime that would affront legitimate Second Amendment concerns." The convention explicitly recognizes that, because "states have developed different cultural and historical uses for firearms," a standardized model is unacceptable.

• In the context of a multilateral gun control treaty, please explain your views as to what are "legitimate Second Amendment concerns" and what concerns are illegitimate.
  • Given your support for what you describe as "global gun control," "supply-side control" within the United States, the development of "legal and policy arguments" for gun control, and your beliefs that the convention would require the U.S. to standardize its national laws and that "stronger domestic regulation" is essential, what is your position on the U.N. Arms Trade Treaty, which is essentially a global version of the Inter-American Convention?
  • Do you believe the Second Amendment protects an individual right of ordinary Americans to keep and bear arms unrelated to militia service?
  • What regulations of private gun ownership do you think are unreasonable?

The International Court of Justice and the MedellinCase. In 2003, the government of Mexico sued the U.S. at the International Court of Justice (ICJ) regarding 51 Mexican nationals—including one Jose Ernesto Medellin, the ringleader in a brutal gang rape and murder of two teenage girls in Texas—who had been convicted of crimes in the U.S. The ICJ ultimately "ordered" the U.S. to provide additional legal proceedings to the Mexican nationals because they had not been informed that a treaty entitled them to assistance from the Mexican consulate. You filed amicus briefs in support of Medellin both in Texas and in the U.S. Supreme Court.[5]

• Why is it that you supported the intervention of an international court into a purely domestic criminal matter?
  • Did the U.S. Supreme Court's rejection of your position change your mind, or do you think the Court made the wrong decision?
  • Do you believe that the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations and its Optional Protocol create a personal cause of action for convicted criminals such as Jose Medellin?
  • Should not this issue have been resolved through diplomacy between the U.S. and Mexico rather than through transnational litigation?

Use of Foreign Jurisprudence in U.S. Courts. In 2004 you wrote that in "an interdependent world, United States courts should not decide cases without paying ‘a decent respect to the opinions of mankind.'"[6] The phrase "a decent respect to the opinions of mankind" comes from the Declaration of Independence: "When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation."

• Are you saying that your interpretation of the document in which America's Founding Fathers cut all legal and political ties from Great Britain supports the citation of and reliance upon the legal opinions of foreign courts?
  • Do you believe that U.S. courts at all levels should factor in foreign legal opinions when deciding domestic law issues? When should a U.S. court factor in such opinions, and when should they not do so?

The Legal Adviser Position Is Crucial

Koh's legal opinions must be closely scrutinized because, due to its international scope, the position for which he has been nominated is unlike any other legal position in the federal government. According to the State Department's Web site, the Legal Adviser "furnishes advice on all legal issues, domestic and international, arising in the course of the Department's work," including "formulating and implementing the foreign policies of the United States, and promoting the development of international law and its institutions as a fundamental element of those policies."[7]

If confirmed, Koh will travel worldwide for the next four years to "negotiate, draft and interpret international agreements involving ... peace initiatives, arms control discussions ... and private law conventions on subjects such as judicial cooperation and recognition of foreign judgments."[8] He would also represent the U.S. at treaty negotiations and international legal conferences and be involved in drafting U.N. Security Council resolutions.

The Legal Adviser must therefore be motivated to:

• Protect and defend the rights of American citizens and soldiers from interference from international organizations;
  • Promote policies that preserve U.S. national security prerogatives and self-governance; and
  • Defend American sovereignty from encroachment by transnational actors.

Critical determinations regarding international law will be made during the next four years regarding, among other matters, threats to U.S. national security. In a world where the Iranian nuclear program is advancing unabated and missile launches from North Korea are reaching ever closer to U.S. coastlines, America needs a Legal Adviser who will not subordinate U.S. national interests to the will or whim of the international community.

Steven Groves is Bernard and Barbara Lomas Fellow, and Ted R. Bromund, Ph.D., is Senior Research Fellow, in the Margaret Thatcher Center for Freedom, a division of the Kathryn and Shelby Cullom Davis Institute for International Studies, at The Heritage Foundation.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

endman View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote endman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2010 at 10:18am
It would make sense if our law enforcement agencies had the same power in Europe
Would it be funny if Obama will be arrested by the INTERPOL
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2010 at 8:21pm

Mark Tapscott:      What is Barack Obama doing?

UPDATED: Why Interpol, Mr. President?

By: Mark Tapscott
Editorial Page Editor

December 31, 2009

Some distressing civil liberties questions must be asked about an ever-

lengthening list of decisions, proposals, and observations by President Obama.

To begin, Obama is the first president to give an international law enforcement

organization like Interpol free rein within the territorial confines of this nation, presumably

not excluding the arrest and exportation of Americans to be charged with crimes under

international law.

Put simply, this means the Constitution is no longer the supreme law of the land in

America. Thanks to Executive Order 12425 , which Obama signed Dec. 16 without

explaining why, the supreme law of the land is now arguably whatever Interpol says it is,

most likely as directed by the International Criminal Court in The Hague, Netherlands, in

conjunction with the United Nations.

Maybe it's just a bureaucratic snafu. Or perhaps Obama sincerely means to subsume U.S.

law to what he views as a morally superior international body.

But what if he simply sees it as an innocuous path to the arrest and prosecution of

selected political opponents for "crimes against humanity" in, say, Iraq and Afghanistan?

The Far Left would get its pound of Bush-Cheney flesh, while leaving minimal blood on

Obama's hands and giving his defense and foreign policy critics reason to think twice

before speaking candidly against him in the future.

If this seems far-fetched, let me remind you that this is the same Interpol and ICC that

took seriously Iran's Oct. 3, 2009, request that 25 top Israeli civilian and military officials be

placed on the international "Most Wanted" list because of their actions in Gaza against

murderous Palestinian radicals.

There's also this observation by National Review's Andy McCarthy: "Being constrained by

the Fourth Amendment, Freedom of Information Act, and other limitations of the

Constitution and federal law that protect the liberty and privacy of Americans is what

prevents law enforcement and its controlling government authority from becoming

tyrannical." Executive Order 12425 circumvents all of that.

So tell us, Mr. President, why do you think Interpol should operate with no accountability

and no transparency in our country? Is this what you had in mind in your 2008 presidential

campaign when you said "we've got to have a civilian national security force that is just as

powerful, just as strong, just as well-funded" as the U.S. military?

Pentagon generals and admirals answer to the president and Congress. Under Obama,

Interpol answers to no American.

Then there is the president's impatience with such messy democratic necessities as

respecting the rights of legislative minorities. It galled him that Republicans dared use

parliamentary procedures to require more debate during the Senate's forced march to

approve Obamacare before Christmas.

Obama vented during an interview with PBS , warning that other countries will "start

running circles around us." (Note that nobody ever called any of those other countries "a

shining city on a hill" or, given their human rights records, likely ever will.)

Obama's next words to PBS hint of a dangerous facet of his outlook: "We're going to have

to return to some sense that governance is more important than politics inside the

Senate."

This is the classic complaint of kings and despots throughout history. Don't bother them

with delays and deliberation -- what Obama misleadingly calls "politics" -- when there is so

much "governance" to be done.

Obama's impatience with the Senate in 2009 recalls liberals' disquietude in the 1950s with

Congress constantly blunting the advance of their progressive agenda, thanks to the

Constitution's separation of powers, the seniority system, and the still-Democratic Solid

South.

So liberals created the Imperial Presidency to "get things done" in Washington. Today,

they have a congressional majority that disdains consensus and a president with the most

liberal agenda in American history. Now, it's out with "politics" and in with "governance."

But, as George Washington explained, "government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is

force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."

Obama disdains using American force against enemies abroad, but will a man who so

furtively empowered Interpol hesitate to use such force against Americans who oppose

him here at home?

Think very carefully before you answer.

UPDATED: Will Obama explain why Interpol?

White House spokesman Christina Reynolds told The New York Times' Charles Savage that

the Obama administration said nothing beyond a perfunctory web site announcement

about Executive Order 12425 because "there is nothing newsworthy here."

If there is nothing newsworthy involved, then why won't the White House answer these

basic questions regarding the EO?

* Every other international organization granted such exemptions deals with mundane

issues like fish - the International Pacific Halibut Commission - or disaster aid - the Red

Cross. But Interpol is a law enforcement operation. Why does President Obama think it

appropriate to give such exemptions to an international law enforcement operation, and

what does he want Interpol to do here in the U.S. in the future with the exemptions that it

cannot do now without the exemptions?

* Does the search and seizure exemption extend to the activities and documents created

by U.S. Department of Justice employees working with and for Interpol in New York and

Washington, D.C.? If these employees and activities were already exempt from coverage

of the federal Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), why have FOIA requests concerning them

been previously answered?

These are serious questions that the White House ought have no hesitation about

answering, if indeed "there is nothing newsworthy here."  

Mark Tapscott is editorial page editor of The Washington Examiner and proprietor of Tapscott's Copy Desk blog on www.washingtonexaminer.com washingtonexaminer.com.

Read more at the Washington Examiner:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic