Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Lake Superior 1st (New Hemorrhagic Virus)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahshadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lake Superior 1st (New Hemorrhagic Virus)
    Posted: January 30 2010 at 10:58am

Virulent Fish Virus Identified for First Time in Lake Superior:
Viral hemorrhagic septicemia virus poses threats to fisheries and aquaculture
Released: 1/28/2010 4:21:01 PM

Contact Information:
U.S. Department of the Interior, U.S. Geological Survey
Office of Communication
119 National Center
Reston, VA 20192

For the first time, the presence of an exceptionally virulent fish virus (viral hemorrhagic septicemia virus or VHSV) has been identified in fish from Lake Superior by researchers at the Cornell University’s College of Veterinary Medicine and confirmed by scientists at the USGS Western Fisheries Research Center in Seattle.

The disease (VHS) caused by the virus can result in significant losses in populations of wild fish as well as in stocks of fish reared by aquaculture. It is of sufficient global concern to be one of only nine fish diseases that must be reported to the World Organization for Animal Health.

The virus was first identified in the Great Lakes in 2005 when it was recovered from fish experiencing massive die-offs. Over the last 5 years, one die-off in Lake Ontario resulted in the death of 40,000 freshwater drum in 4 days. The virus had been found in fish from all of the Great Lakes except Superior, as well as in the Niagara and St. Lawrence rivers, and inland lakes in New York, Michigan and Wisconsin. The disease causes internal bleeding in fish, and although in the family of viruses that includes rabies, is not harmful to humans.

Cornell investigators tested 874 fish collected last summer from seven sites in Lake Superior.  Using a new genetic test developed at Cornell, fish from four of seven sites tested positive for the virus: Paradise, Mich., Skanee, Mich., St. Louis, Bay, Wisc., and Superior Bay, Wisc. The VHSV-positive species included yellow perch, white sucker, rock bass and bluegill. To confirm these findings, tissues from fish at one of the sites (Paradise) were sent to the USGS Western Fisheries Research Center where VHSV experts Drs. Gael Kurath and James Winton provided independent confirmation of the Cornell findings.  

“VHS is one of the most important diseases of finfish,” said Winton. “It not only affects the health and well-being of populations of several important native fish species, but it can also impact trade, and, should it spread into the U.S. aquaculture industry, could do substantial damage as happened in Europe and parts of Japan.”

Previous genetic research at the USGS Western Fisheries Research Center and by colleagues from Canada showed that this strain of the virus was probably introduced into the Great Lakes in the last 5 to 10 years, and that the fish die-offs occurring among different species and in different lakes should be considered as one large ongoing epidemic. Experts fear the disease could potentially spread from the

Great Lakes into new populations of native fish in the 31 states of the Mississippi River basin.

Federal and State agencies had previously placed restrictions on movement of fish or fish products to slow the spread of the virus; however, the presence of a reportable pathogen in the Great Lakes States, large mortalities among wild species, potential impacts on commercial aquaculture and disruption of interstate and international trade have caused substantial concern among management agencies.

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."   G Orwell
Mahshadin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahshadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2010 at 11:00am
Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia Virus (VHS)

Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia Virus (VHS) is the most important viral pathogen of finfish worldwide and is listed as a reportable pathogen by many nations and international organizations. Prior to 1988, VHS was not known to occur in North America, and was thought to be limited to Europe. In 2005-2006, reports from the Great Lakes region indicated that wild fish had experienced disease or, in some cases, very large die-offs from a strain now identified as VHS type IVb. Type IVb found in the Great Lakes area is the only strain outside of Europe that has been definitely linked to freshwater fish mortalities. As of the end of May 2007, VHS has been found in Lake Michigan, Lake Huron, Lake Ontario, Lake Erie, Lake St. Clair, the Saint Lawrence River and, most recently, at inland lakes in Wisconsin and Michigan. Significant mortality has been reported in muskellunge, freshwater drum, goby, burbot, yellow perch, gizzard shad, and smallmouth bass. If the virus spreads outside the Great Lakes Basin or into the private aquaculture sector, the biological and economic impacts are expected to be very large.

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."   G Orwell
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2010 at 11:38am
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2010 at 11:41am

I'm sorry it's so large...  I'll be happy to remove if it offends anyone.

very sad...  back in the old days.. my grandfather fished in the Adirondacks.

Hemorrhaged Walleye

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2010 at 11:45am

I imagine this is how it spread so widely..  Boats.

PDF]

BOAT AND EQUIPMENT DISINFECTION PROTOCOL - 2007

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
Chemical sells Ovadine which is also a 1% iodine solution used to disinfect fish eggs or equipment. Their phone is 1 800 283 5292. ...
www.fcal-wi.org/2007%20Disinfection%20protocols.pdf
Mahshadin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahshadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2010 at 11:47am
Good stuff MAry008

I think you can just edit and scroll to find picture handle in lower right corner and then just drag it to the size you want (may depend on picture format though).
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2010 at 2:24pm
thanks... I tried it several times, and it did look smaller... but it didn't stay that way after clicking on update post.
Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2010 at 2:35pm
Author George Roger Gilbert  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lake_
Otsego_-_tree_lawn_(569771960).jpg
File:Lake%20Otsego%20-%20tree%20lawn%20%28569771960%29.jpg

It's heartbreaking to know it's in a favorite Lake... Otsego

Normal?   

...blotchy red patches on the skin of dead fish?

Otsego Lake fish die-off  "normal," says DNR

By Chris Engle, Staff Writer
Saturday, January 30, 2010

"I'm pretty comfortable with what's going on,"  Sendek said Friday morning of the die-off which had dead fish washing up on several beaches. "I feel it's related to springtime spawning stress, and the cold spring then the extreme warm-up. We're seeing it on quite a few lakes in the area.

...Rick Lewandowski at Don's Sport & Marine said he heard reports of blotchy red patches on the skin of dead fish. Viral hemmohragic septicemia (VHS), a disease which has killed fish in Lake Huron and led to stricter regulations on bait statewide, displays those symptoms.

Sendek indicated there were no signs of disease in the dead fish on Otsego Lake

d800cdc4589129018.txt

Photos here of problems invading the lake

Locals like to have lunch here at look out on the lake.

Otsego Lake from a Lakefront Park perspective (photo by Eric J. Hurwitz)

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2010 at 3:01pm

...Rick Lewandowski at Don's Sport & Marine said he heard reports of blotchy red patches on the skin of dead fish.

appearance between ...Fish Kills Caused by Columnaris and that caused by Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia Virus are different.

Fish Kills Caused by Columnaris Disease

...The furry or hairy appearance disappears when an infected fish is removed from water

www.fleminglake.com/Columnaris%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf

Mahshadin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahshadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2010 at 7:49pm

IMG_1310%20by%20Adipose. Y.E.onDOMReady(show_notes_initially);  

Mary008 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2010 at 8:59pm

I give... where is it?
Mahshadin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahshadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2010 at 9:41pm
Lake superior
1st   close to Munising (Pictured Rocks)
2nd   Kewenaw Penninsula
3rd   I think its by Marquette

Upper Michigan (Great fishing in all of those areas)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic