Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Overreacting?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plainsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Overreacting?
    Posted: February 27 2006 at 2:49pm

Bird flu bans 'overreacting'

From correspondents in Alexandria

February 28, 2006

Bird flu / Reuters
Bird flu ... no need to overreact, says an international health group / Reuters

COUNTRIES that are banning imports of poultry from bird flu-affected areas are overreacting, because the meat is safe to eat, an international animal health group said today.

And while wild birds may play a role in spreading the virus, they are not the key to controlling its spread, said Alex Thiermann, president of the standard-setting committee for the World Animal Health Organisation.

Mr Thiermann said sensible precautions, such as quickly culling birds in affected areas, can work to control outbreaks of H5N1 avian influenza.

"Countries have far exceeded what is science-based and they have further complicated the losses to the industry," Mr Thiermann told the New-Fields' Bird Flu Summit, a meeting of avian influenza experts.

"Eating chicken is not what is going to kill you."

French Trade Minister Christine Lagarde said 20 countries had imposed curbs on imports of French poultry after an outbreak of H5N1 at a turkey farm in the east of the country last week.

Advertisement:
< = =text/> < src="http://mercury.tiser.com.au/j/acc_random=167785/SITE=NEWS/AREA=NEWS.WORLD.NAMERICA/AAMSZ=300X250/pageid=8557388" =TEXT/> < = src="http://cm.overture.com/partner/js/ads.js"> < name=0 marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="http://cm.overture.com/d/search/p/newsinteractive//jsads/au/ctxt/?Partner=news_au_newsron_island_ctxt&ctxtId=news&mkt=au&adwd=300&adht=250&css_url=http://network.news.com.au/css/adstyle_overture300x250.css&tg=1&cb=1141079844540" Border=0 width=300 scrolling=no height=250 allowTransparency>
The World Health Organisation (WHO) stressed again today properly cooked poultry does not spread bird flu.

No one seems to have become infected merely through handling chicken meat, WHO said.

But poultry sales have plunged and many countries have moved to block imports as the virus spreads among flocks. As many as 19 new countries have reported outbreaks in birds over the past month.

"A lot has to do with the trust level between the public and government," Mr Thiermann said. "We are very lucky in the United States in that the public does believe what the government says."

In Italy, sales of poultry had dropped 70 per cent because of a historical mistrust of government, Mr Thiermann said.

I always believe what the government says. :-)

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 2:55pm

You know what.... they can't have it both ways!

WHO says the only way that people are getting infected is by handling effected chickens.  Now they are saying that you don't get sick handling chicken.

WHICH IS IT?????????

Are we back to "You'll be OK as long as you don't kiss your chickens"?

SZ

Fruit Loop View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit Loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 3:05pm

I am not sure that this is quite an accurate statement....

"We are very lucky in the United States in that the public does believe what the government says."

I am not sure that I actually trust what they tell us or not tell us. Right now I believe that if our government was being honest, they would be telling us to prepare and telling us that there is evidence that it may already be in some birds here in the U.S. Just my opinion!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 4:17pm

Well, THEY can eat the chicken then.  Personal choice, and I'm not eating any meat at this point in my life. 

Anybody with any common sense won't even handle a dead chicken, much less eat it.

Money money money money....MONEY!!!  T

Spoon View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 4:24pm
Are they injecting the bird or the guy? LOL
It's not so much the apocalypse... but the credit card bills ;-)
Corn View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 5:36pm

Looks like in the picture the duck is running away screaming, ..........

Bird flu / Reuters "The humans have flu.
don't touch me. I don't want to get the Human Flu!  
Don't eat any humans!"

Edited by Corn
Speculation is the only tool we have with a threat that can circle the globe in 30 days. Test results&news is slow.Factor in human conditions,politics, money&bingo!The truth!Facts come after the fact.
stardust View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stardust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 6:08pm

Too funny Corn!!!!

"Prepping is Power"!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 6:11pm
    Corn, darn funny.
outsidethecamp View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outsidethecamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 6:37pm
Okay, all humor aside...

!!!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 6:37pm
 what would we do without you!!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 7:04pm
I read today that the Germans have sent an extra 150 soldiers to help collect
dead birds from the island off their northern coast where the B2B outbreak
occurred. Well they went on to say that the soldiers were to be gradually
replaced by civilian personnel. I'm getting a distinct feeling (by reading
between the lines) that they are experiencing low morale from the soldiers
and a lack of volunteers from civilian life to replace them. In the UK our
pandemic plan specifically states that we are not to expect armed forces to
be available other than where we wouldexpect them to be in a war/etc.. We
are on our own then. Move over duck I'm on the run too!!!!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 11:26am

Wouldn`t it be nice for a tv crew to go along and film the scenes as all the soliders recover thes birds, and let the whole world see the real extent first hand of this virus.

I certainly have seen little on uk tv. perhaps media elsewhere have such footage, but somehow i dont think it will be broadcast.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 11:51am
Its not a worthy story yet..but I will bet you a bushel of apples..if it were humans the media would be all over this and making good bucks doing it...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic