Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Oh No Our Utilities In Jeopardy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oh No Our Utilities In Jeopardy
    Posted: May 20 2014 at 6:31pm
Look this one up on the Net: U.S. utility's control system was hacked, says Homeland Security

I keep saying our utilities could go down and we could be out for a long time.
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2014 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by FluMom FluMom wrote:

Look this one up on the Net: U.S. utility's control system was hacked, says Homeland Security

I keep saying our utilities could go down and we could be out for a long time.

I do some private industry collaboration on this topic with the FBI and DHS.  You don't wanna know.

CRS, DrPH
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2014 at 7:55pm
CRS,DrPH, thanks for this report.It is the same thing that my engineer friends have told me. That is why we are prepared to wake up in the 18th century any time now. John Ray
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2014 at 9:04pm
And the 18th century would be fatal for many, many people. Notwithstanding modern society's dependence on technology for everything, without the hybrid crops, herbicides, pesticides and fertilizers we use in huge quantities we'd be faced with an agricultural system only capable of feeding a world with a pre-industrial age population.
"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2014 at 9:50pm
jacksdad,you are 100% correct.The only thing that worries us is that there might be enough gangs make it out of the major cities that they might cause us a problem.But with all of the interstates and exchanges that will be clogged with massive car wrecks,they may not make it this far.John
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2014 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by Johnray1 Johnray1 wrote:

jacksdad,you are 100% correct.The only thing that worries us is that there might be enough gangs make it out of the major cities that they might cause us a problem.But with all of the interstates and exchanges that will be clogged with massive car wrecks,they may not make it this far.John

We think exactly alike!!  Clap
CRS, DrPH
BOB C. View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOB C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 7:28am
Originally posted by jacksdad jacksdad wrote:

And the 18th century would be fatal for many, many people. Notwithstanding modern society's dependence on technology for everything, without the hybrid crops, herbicides, pesticides and fertilizers we use in huge quantities we'd be faced with an agricultural system only capable of feeding a world with a pre-industrial age population.
After an EMP or a huge CME from the sun, and our powergrid goes down, its said that 90% of the population would be dead the first year.  Look up the Carrington Event in 1859, if that were to happen in todays world, well, buckle your seat belt.
BOB C. View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOB C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 7:34am
Originally posted by CRS, DrPH CRS, DrPH wrote:

We think exactly alike!!  Clap
Even rats can travel great distances when necessary.  There is coming a great migration of people.  Many things are headed our way, the great experiment of the USA is coming to an end.  Our wonderful nation is going down, we have many enemies that are catching up with us, as we are falling.
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 12:05pm
BOB C. I do not agree that we are going down as country. I think that we have a President who wants us to go down and his decisions make us look weak and many people believe that we are going down,but it is just our President and his people trying to brainwash us into believing that. Our Presidents goal when he got elected was to destroy the US and he really did not make any secret of it. As soon as we can vote him and his people out of office and get a real President that is for this nation and the people around this person is for the US. We will come back very strong,very quickly.Johnray1
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 1:08pm
Jacksdad, I don't think we could even feed an 18th century population because we no longer have the heavy horses required to do so. Not just that, we have broken the link with our ancestors on how to do it. I think we'd struggle to feed even a fraction of our respective countries. 

As we've become more self reliant it's been an interesting learning curve for me especially as I've tried to learn how to do things that 100 years ago I would have known how to do from infancy as I would have grown up watching it happen around me. I've only had books to work from. A perfect example is butter making. I have about 30 books that tell me how to do it but I can tell you that at least 25 of those were written by people who have never done it but must have copied instructions from somewhere else.

Any fool can make butter but within a day or so it will invariably taste rancid or start to turn. It took me a year to make a butter that can sit at room temperature for 3 weeks and it will still taste good.

Some things are really hard to learn from books. Not impossible but hard. I have the luxury of being able to fail without any consequences, but if your life depends on it, you'd be screwed. When our modern comforts and conveniences fail, there will be no wriggle room for error. It will be life and death. 

I've been on enough sites to hear preppers say that they've got a whole library on how-to books and a shed with a butter churn in it, axes, a plough, gardening equipment, canning jars etc etc. but if they don't know how to use them now, while they can afford to fail, that stuff won't be worth anything to them when they really need it. 

Just think how many people will injure themselves trying to chop wood for the first time, or skin a rabbit with a hunting knife, or contaminate their meat with animal feces, or just plain not cooking it right, or drinking non potable water. The list is endless.
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 3:34pm
KiwiMum - if ever there was anyone that deserved their own blog, it's you. The skill set you've acquired is quite extraordinary
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 6:15pm
We will all see what stuff Americans are made of if our utilities go down.
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by FluMom FluMom wrote:

We will all see what stuff Americans are made of if our utilities go down.

Yeah, it won't be pretty!  Much like New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina I'm afraid. 

Some of this will depend upon the event.  A cyberhacking incident could be recovered from relatively quickly, since major, expensive components won't be damaged.  A physical attack (such as the one in California, with rifle shots fired at transformers) would be smaller scale but longer lasting, since we don't carry a large inventory of the very large transformers that would be damaged. 

I'm more concerned about a solar flare event, which could damage the grid in a big way.  Many facilities such as hospitals, water/wastewater plants, police & fire stations have their own generators now, which will help somewhat.  However, this would knock the USA and the rest of the world backwards severely.  

Please see this excellent presentation: 

CRS, DrPH
Satori View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Satori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 7:58pm

Connecticut power grid hacked, no power outages

http://www.elp.com/articles/2014/04/connecticut-power-grid-hacked-no-power-outages.html

Report: Chinese Military Hackers Targeting US Electric Power Grid, Oil And Gas Pipelines And Water Suppliers

http://uproxx.com/technology/2013/02/report-chinese-military-hackers-targeting-us-electric-power-grid-oil-and-gas-pipelines-and-water-suppliers/

the grid is about as secure as a submarine with a screen door

BOB C. View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOB C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 9:17pm

BOB C. I do not agree that we are going down as country. I think that we have a President who wants us to go down and his decisions make us look weak and many people believe that we are going down,but it is just our President and his people trying to brainwash us into believing that. Our Presidents goal when he got elected was to destroy the US and he really did not make any secret of it. As soon as we can vote him and his people out of office and get a real President that is for this nation and the people around this person is for the US. We will come back very strong,very quickly.Johnray1
Hey Johnray,
It's our currency, there is a new way approaching fast that will replace the dollar as the world's reserve currency.  Could very well be the IMF and their SDR's, with a basket of currencies based on commodities.  Our bond market is in serious trouble as well, and now saudi arabia has asked for 30,000 troops from Pakistan to gaurd their oil fields.  Why, when we have been doing that since the 1973 agreement was signed through OPEC?  The world is changing, and this so called president is helping out that change greatly.  A vote will not change anything, the puppet master has two hands,they will just switch hands and control the other.  It's repentance, the one thing most mock at, but truth is truth.  Johnray, they are prepared(our government) are you?
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 10:16pm
BOB C. I know that there are many dangers in the near and far future.We are in trouble financially,but so are most other nations.We will just have to wait and see what happens.I also know that there are puppet masters but we can not control them. I do not even know who they are,we just have to provide for our selves so that we do not depend on them for food,water,safety,or anything.Yes, BOB C. I/we are prepared,but I still do not want the SHTF,because no matter how prepared we are,we can still lose loved ones,but this is the risk that every generation in every country faces from time to time. I think the key is to not be forced to ask for anything,we can grow our own food and it rains pretty often,there is always water in the creeks and wood to burn in the woods.Basically all of our ancestors came to this country to get free of this kind of thing and they did a pretty good job,we just have to continue it. Johnray1
Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 10:47pm
I'm not believing everything I hear on the news anymore. I think they are setting us up when they want to take the banks down for a "banking holiday". They'll blame it on hackers.

How convenient to set us up into believing that our power plants can be so easily hacked. If our government can get people to believe that then they'll believe that the banks were hacked when the time comes.

It's a set up.
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 10:59pm
Jacksdad, I used to write a blog for collapsenet.com, I don't know if you ever used to visit that site. 
I was known as LittleOwl and I've just realised that I've registered on Mers info as Little Owl and not KiwiMum. Are you able to change the name for me? I obviously wasn't thinking. Thanks.
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2014 at 2:23am
Thanks KiwiMum/LittleOwl.  That site is just added to my list of web addresses.
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2014 at 4:03am
KiwiMum - that's probably one for Albert. I'm not sure how to go about changing it, I'm afraid.
Johnray1 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2014 at 4:39am
Elver,I have not heard the news about "Bank Holidays" to straighten something out. But I have been told that "Banking Holidays" would be the first step in the fall of the economy. It is to prevent a run on the banks when they tell us that the economy has collapsed and then you can not get to your money.I think this is the process(tricks) used in Argentina twice now. Marshall Law is suppose to be next,because everyone will be upset about not being able to get to their money.I hope this does not happen. But keep watching.Johnray1
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2014 at 12:34pm
Every bank in New Zealand had to have some computer software fitted by July last year, to enable a bail in (when the bank takes money from customers accounts in order to cover their debts) to happen. It was in the papers here and a bank doesn't need to shut for a bank holiday for it to happen. Because it's all computerised, overnight a bank could decide to take any deposits over, say, $20,000 and confiscate them. 

I was in the Kiwi Bank last week talking to an account manager about bank accounts for my children, and I asked her if their money would exempt from a bail in. She didn't even blink or ask me what I was talking about but said straight up no they wouldn't. I then asked her if government bonds would be exempt and she wasn't sure and referred me to a bank down the road to ask them. 

They are still under financial restrictions in Cyprus. Whilst I feel for the people, you have to admire the way the European Union have hog tied the account holders in Cyprus. They have no wriggle room at all. Every single aspect of their bank trading is capped. Whilst morally questionable, it has been cleverly done.

The problem we all have is we don't know what the capping figure will be in a bail in. There is no set figure. The banks will set it on the day.

In Germany in the 1920's the banks shut and when they reopened, every single bank account contained DM47 regardless of how much was in there the day before. Then the government issued new banknotes, the old ones becoming illegal. Anyone who held old notes at home had to go to the bank and exchange them for the new ones. 

My father told me of a shop keeper who ran two grocery stores. He couldn't be bothered to count the coins in his tills every night, so instead he emptied them into old barrels in the cellar every day. When the Weimar revolution happened and his bank account was adjusted to DM 47, it was the barrels full of coins in the cellar that saved his family from destitution like so many other small business.  It is cheap to reprint notes, but very expensive and time consuming to mint new coins so new notes were issued but the old coins were kept.
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2014 at 12:39pm
Jacksdad, I've reregistered as KiwiMum on mersinfo.com so there's no need to change my user name. Thanks.

Technophobe, you have to pay to access collapsenet but they used to do a one month trial. When I last looked, all my blogs were still there.
Elver View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2014 at 3:43pm
That's too bad about Mike. I check this website often.

If you live in the U.S., you need to read this article.
http://www.moneynews.com/Advani/FDIC-bank-deposits-equity/2013/04/03/id/497569/

"There is no amount of money that would be protected by FDIC limits. All of our cash would be gone, without exception. When the cash deposits are converted to stock in the banks, they would no longer be covered by insurance and would be at risk of being wiped out."

Here's the actual BOE-FDIC Plan document.
http://www.fdic.gov/about/srac/2012/gsifi.pdf

It is very hard to know what to believe anymore. I believe that our government is programming us to accept the idea that anything can be hacked at anytime because they're likely the ones who are doing the hacking. They'll blame the coming banking collapse on a hacker.
Tink View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2014 at 8:58am
As far as our utilities going down, we should be aware that the water systems have already been accessed and tweaked, for nefarious purposes. This article is one of many written on this subject and the author believes that the changing of the water systems are for the purposes of creating  a pandemic delivery system.
http://neworleans.indymedia.org/news/2007/05/10214.php
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2014 at 11:35am
Originally posted by Tink Tink wrote:

As far as our utilities going down, we should be aware that the water systems have already been accessed and tweaked, for nefarious purposes. This article is one of many written on this subject and the author believes that the changing of the water systems are for the purposes of creating  a pandemic delivery system.
http://neworleans.indymedia.org/news/2007/05/10214.php

Thanks, but this is nonsense.  I consult on water security with AWWA and others, and the USA can barely afford to keep its conventional water utility system functional due to ancient pipes, leaks etc.  

Building a "shadow" system of parallel lines is ridiculous.  Plus, water is a poor method of delivering pathogens, since we disinfect with chlorine and we use such vast amounts of water.   The dilution factor of using water as a delivery method for toxins negates this use, although there are ways around it. 

And I ain't tellin' what I know. Angry

CRS, DrPH
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2014 at 11:33pm
Thanks CRS!
I appreciate someone calling it like it is.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic