Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Brushfire outbreaks.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brushfire outbreaks.
    Posted: March 09 2006 at 8:45am
A Pandemic is defined by Webster's as an "Outbreak of a disease."

That can mean most anything.  The fact of the matter is that the disease has broken out and is spreading.  Therefore, we are in a pandemic (regardless of size and numbers of fatalities).

Now, for this disease to become a "BIG" pandemic (What most people think of when the word is used.), it needs to become a Human to Human (H2H) disease and it needs to develop Ease of Transmission (EoT).

SARS was a pandemic that never developed Ease of Transmission.  It was H2H, but was easily corraled after it took a few airplane rides.

Usually as pandemics develop, you see brushfires (or outbreaks) with successive brushfires spreading to more and more people in the limited area of the outbreak.

We saw one of those brushfire outbreaks in Vietnam last week with a hundred people all becoming sick over a few days.  Like all brushfires, it burned itself out. (I think. Reporting is faulty in that part of the world.)

At present, it appears that we have experienced Human to Human brushfires in three countries (China, Vietnam and Indonesia) Some people tell me that I really should include Turkey and Thailand in my list of H2H brushfires, but their outbreaks could all be from Chicken to Human (C2H) transmission.  If it is really Human to Human in those countries, we will see a lot more brushfires.  

The Ukraine (the place where all the cows died overnight) and Moldavia have had thousands of human deaths due to "pneumonia" this winter, but since they are not reporting H5N1, we can't use their outbreaks for statistical purposes (Though I am convinced that they have a very serious problem in that part of Eastern Europe.).
Chicken Hawk View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicken Hawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2006 at 4:50pm
This is a very interesting way of looking at this, thanks!
loosecannon View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loosecannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2006 at 5:20pm

Originally posted by JoeNeubarth JoeNeubarth wrote:

We saw one of those brushfire outbreaks in Vietnam last week with a hundred people all becoming sick over a few days. 

Did I miss something? I don't recall seeing anything about 100 ppl in Vietnam recently. Can someone provide a link please.

Thanks!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2006 at 5:34pm
And I thought I was the only one!  If it happened it wizzed by me as well.
gricha56 View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gricha56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2006 at 6:03pm
I feel pretty confident that Viet Nam is old news.  Indonesia seems to be the Hot Spot for the moment.  I have heard some interesting preliminary reports from Turkey,  but have not seen the confirmation from WHO that I expected to see.  Both Iraq and Turkey seem to have fallen off of the reporting grid.   I would reserve the word "pandemic" for an outbreak of illness that is very wide in scope.  I would use the term "epidemic" for a localized occurance of illness.  As H5N1 illness has occured in MANY countries over a vast geographical area, it may be splitting hairs to argue if it is indeed "pandemic".  As a zoonotic illness, it seems to more than adequately fit the definition.   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic