Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic Forum > Political Discussion > Politics - Political Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Donald Trump revokes security clearance of ex-CIA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Donald Trump revokes security clearance of ex-CIA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Donald Trump revokes security clearance of ex-CIA
    Posted: August 15 2018 at 2:49pm
Donald Trump revokes security clearance of ex-CIA chief, John Brennan
AFP, AP, News Corp Australia Network
39 minutes ago
US President Donald Trump has revoked the security clearance of former Central Intelligence Agency director John Brennan, the White House said on Wednesday, denying the frequent critic of the president any access to sensitive information.

“Historically former heads of intelligence and law enforcement agencies have been allowed to retain access to classified information after their government service so that they can consult with their successors,” press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said, reading a statement from Mr Trump.

Donald Trump called John Brennan “erratic”. Picture: AFP
“At this point in my administration, any benefits that senior officials might glean from consultations with Mr Brennan are now outweighed by the risk posed by his erratic conduct and behaviour,” she quoted Mr Trump as saying.

Former CIA Director John Brennan is sworn in before testifying at a House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence about Russian actions in the 2016 election. Picture: AFP
Ms Sanders accused Mr Brennan of “lying” and “wild outbursts.”

She also claimed Mr Brennan had “leveraged his status” to make unfounded allegations.

David Axelrod

@davidaxelrod
Just for the record, @JohnBrennan is one of the finest public servants I have ever known. Strong, honorable and thoroughly committed to his country.

3:03 AM - Aug 16, 2018
3,491 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy

Mia Farrow

@MiaFarrow
If only “erratic conduct and behavior” coupled with “frenzied commentary” on twitter & beyond would warrant revoking Trump’s security clearance - on the road to #Impeachment

Kate Bennett

@KateBennett_DC
“Erratic conduct and behavior” are reasons @realDonaldTrump is revoking ex @CIA director @JohnBrennan’s security clearance. Adds Brennan has conducted “frenzied commentary.”

2:50 AM - Aug 16, 2018
32 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
Following the US President’s summit last month with Russia’s Vladimir Putin, Mr Brennan, who headed the CIA under President Barack Obama, described Mr Trump’s behaviour as “nothing short of treasonous.”

The former acting US Attorney-General Sally Yates is also on Donald Trump’s hit list. Picture: Reuters

Former FBI chief James Comey’s security clearance is “under review”. Picture: AFP
Mr Trump said he was also considering revoking security clearances for James Clapper, the former director of national intelligence, James Comey, whom Mr Trump fired from the post of FBI director last year, Michael Hayden, who had also served as director of national intelligence, and Sally Yates, the former acting Attorney-General who was sacked by Mr Trump shortly after he came to office.

Former CIA Director John Brennan called Donald Trump’s summit with Vladimir Putin last month as “nothing short of treasonous”. Picture: AFP
Also on the list was Susan Rice, Mr Obama’s national security adviser.

Ms Sanders said the possibility of revoking those clearances was “currently under review”.

Susan Rice, Barack Obama’s national security adviser, is in Donald Trump’s sights. Picture: Getty Images/AFP
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 4:22pm
I saw this on the BBC and thought you should see it:

Trump ends ex-CIA head John Brennan's security access - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45203277
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 10:48pm
I thought that the American system was full of checks and balances, but they do not seem to be working, allowing a President to do what he likes eg. extracting personal revenge when he is upset.

From where I stand, I am forced to wonder about a Senate and a Congress that is not willing to provide the checks and balances that the system should have.
arirish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 10:58pm
EdwinSm,: Hopefully the pendulum is about to swing back!
Buy more ammo!
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 1:20am
I have been watching all sorts of programes and reading even more articles on this. Looked at from outside, the American system has been described as "great enough to survive a terrible president". I imagine it must be ghastly from inside.

I am just old enough to remember Nixon. Okay, so he was only paranoid, not calculating and manipulative like this one, but he was bad news nonetheless. The system survived him.

I do remember it took a while to chuck him out. That is the thing with government, it moves slower than a snail on heavy tranquilisers. Annoying and cruel though this Chump is, be glad the system crawls along. Galloping governments do terrible things before they are stopped. Horrendous though Trump is, a speedy system would have permitted far, far worse.
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 4:19pm
Architect of bin Laden raid issues stunning rebuke of Trump
By Zachary Cohen, CNN
Updated 1 hour ago Aug. 17, 2018
Washington (CNN) - Retired Adm. William McRaven, the man who oversaw the 2011 Navy SEAL raid that killed Osama bin Laden, issued a stunning rebuke of President Donald Trump's decision to revoke the security clearance of former CIA Director John Brennan on Thursday, defending the former spy chief as "one of the finest public servants I have ever known."
In an op-ed published by the Washington Post, McRaven, a former Navy SEAL who led US Joint Special Operations Command from 2011 to 2014, not only called Brennan "a man of unparalleled integrity," but volunteered to have his own security clearance revoked in an act of solidarity.
"Few Americans have done more to protect this country than John. He is a man of unparalleled integrity, whose honesty and character have never been in question, except by those who don't know him," McRaven wrote.
"Therefore, I would consider it an honor if you would revoke my security clearance as well, so I can add my name to the list of men and women who have spoken up against your presidency," he added.
His comments come just one day after Trump announced his decision to revoke Brennan's security clearance, marking an unprecedented use of a president's authority over the classification system to strike back at one of his prominent critics.
"This action is part of a broader effort by Mr. Trump to suppress freedom of speech & punish critics. It should gravely worry all Americans, including intelligence professionals, about the cost of speaking out. My principles are worth far more than clearances. I will not relent," Brennan tweeted after the announcement.
McRaven, who resigned as chancellor of the University of Texas in Austin earlier this year, is widely respected among the tens of thousands of active and retired special operators and his message will likely resonate within that community.
"Through your actions, you have embarrassed us in the eyes of our children, humiliated us on the world stage and, worst of all, divided us as a nation," McRaven said of Trump.
"If you think for a moment that your McCarthy-era tactics will suppress the voices of criticism, you are sadly mistaken. The criticism will continue until you become the leader we prayed you would be," he added.
TM & © 2018 Turner Broadcasting System, Inc.
A WarnerMedia Company.
All Rights Reserved.

Marcus Aurelius
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 4:24pm
My question is, who's "hit list" is this????..........

Marcus Aurelius
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 7:46am
Trump picked the wrong guy:

President Trump is picking on the wrong guy if he thinks the revocation of John Brennan's security clearances is going to intimidate or silence him. The man who is in many ways the architect of the war on militant jihadists is not going to be easily bullied.

Former CIA director Brennan is not just any critic of Trump: unlike many others, he doesn't come from the left. In fact, Brennan is the engineer of some of the most aggressive American efforts to eliminate jihadist terrorists.

lhttps://www.cnn.com/2018/08/16/opinions/trump-picked-on-the-wrong-guy-brennan-bergen/index.html
CRS, DrPH
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 10:58am
Agree, Chuck. He's undoubtedly going to be even more vocal now.

"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
carbon20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 3:38pm
as i said ,

did Chump think this up ,

or is there something more sinister happening here

Marcus Aurelius
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic