Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

9 last year - this year

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kilt5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 9 last year - this year
    Posted: December 03 2019 at 1:14pm
Kilt5 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kilt5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2019 at 1:16pm
Some 1,300 people across the United States have died of the flu so far this year, according to new Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates.

MAINE SEES FIRST FLU DEATH OF SEASON, STATE HEALTH OFFICIALS SAY

In a report released Friday, federal health officials said there have been at least 2.6 million flu illnesses this year and 23,000 hospitalizations.

Flu activity has been reported across the country, but some states — namely Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Mississippi, Nebraska, New Mexico, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and Washington — have reported “high” flu activity levels. Puerto Rico has seen high flu activity as well.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/flu-deaths-us-1300-cdc
Kilt5 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kilt5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2019 at 1:24pm
The CDC predicts there have been up to 5.3 million cases of the flu.
New research suggests that whatever strain you first picked up as a child will determine how well your immune system fights future flu infections.
Experts say there may be an uptick in flu cases during the holiday season.
It’s been a wild and unpredictable flu season so far.

The flu got an earlier start than usual this year, and a strain that’s particularly harsh among children (influenza B/Victoria viruses) is spreading rapidly across the country.

New estimates from the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)Trusted Source predict there’ve been up to 5.3 million cases of the flu, between 32,000 to 57,000 flu-related hospitalizations, and nearly 1,800 to 4,500 deaths — 19 of which were childrenTrusted Source.

And new research from the University of Arizona suggests that whatever strain you first picked up as a child will determine how well your immune system fights future flu infections — and may explain why different age groups are more affected by certain strains. (For example, if you first encountered the B/Victoria strain as a child, you might have an easier time fighting it than those who initially dealt with an A strain).

Now, some health experts predict another wave of the flu is coming just in time for the holidays.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/first-flu-infection-and-avoiding-holiday-flu
Kilt5 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kilt5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2019 at 8:07pm
The flu has sickened millions and hospitalized thousands across the U.S., with widespread elevated activity reported in most states, the latest tally shows.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said the flu has sickened 3.7 million to 5.3 million people, hospitalized 32,000 to 57,000 and killed 1,800 to 4,500 since the start of October, according to preliminary estimates.

The U.S. is in its earliest flu season in more than 15 years, with activity largely driven by influenza B/Victoria viruses, which don’t typically emerge until later in the season.
CRS, DrPH View Drop Down
Expert Level Adviser
Expert Level Adviser

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CRS, DrPH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2019 at 8:21pm
Thanks, Kilt5! Happy Holidays!
CRS, DrPH
Kilt5 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilt5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2019 at 3:33pm
CDC: Rates of high flu levels nearly double across US

The CDC reported in their weekly report surveying flu prevalence that the virus has infected people in 30 states, including those along the southern border.

Georgia is among 19 high-infection states, which now includes New York and the United States territory of Puerto Rico. Georgia is also reported to have widespread flu infections.The CDC estimates that there have been at least 3.7 million flu cases so far this season. In 32,000 cases, hospitalization was required.

The virus has also been deadly, with 2,400 fatalities occurring between Oct. 1 and November 30, according to the agency. Six children were among the people who died from the viral infection.

https://www.ajc.com/lifestyles/cdc-rates-high-flu-levels-nearly-double-across/1fM5sacnU0qo7I2yfdCWtK/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic