Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic Forum > Political Discussion > Politics - Political Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Chump dosnt like critic's....get a spine princess
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now tracking the new emerging South Africa Omicron Variant

Chump dosnt like critic's....get a spine princess

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbon20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chump dosnt like critic's....get a spine princess
    Posted: December 08 2019 at 1:25pm

Ad
News > World > Americas > US politics
Danish Nato event cancelled after US bars Trump critic from attending: 'Free speech is paramount'
American ambassador to Denmark objects to presence of academic who has made negative comments about president

Phil ThomasNew York @philipthomaspt
1 hour ago
The seminar was being held to mark the 70th anniversary of Nato
The seminar was being held to mark the 70th anniversary of Nato ( REUTERS )
A seminar on Nato in Copenhagen has been cancelled after the US blocked an American academic who has criticised Donald Trump from attending.

The Danish Atlantic Council said it was "regrettably" no longer holding its event after Stanley Sloan, an expert in foreign policy, was apparently prevented from coming at the request of Carla Sands, the US ambassador to Denmark.

The seminar, on Nato and transatlantic relations, was sponsored by the US government.

Download the new Indpendent Premium app
Sharing the full story, not just the headlines

Download now
Lars Bangert Struwe, head of the Danish Atlantic Council, said: "We have all the time known that Mr Sloan has a critical approach towards President Donald Trump. It is no secret -- especially when following his Twitter and Facebook profile."

However, he said that he had expected the contribution of Mr Sloan, a senior fellow at the Atlantic Council, to have been "unpolitical and objective".

Trump makes surprise Thanksgiving visit to US troops in Afghanistan
The US embassy in Copenhagen said on its Twitter account that his inclusion among the speakers at the Celebrating Nato's 70th Anniversary conference did not comply with the "agreement that we followed when recruiting all other speakers".

Mr Sloan responded in a series of tweets addressing the embassy, writing: "I'm sorry that you objected to my inclusion in the conference. I am an experienced public diplomacy lecturer who always represents his country well.

"I have served my country as an officer in the US Air Force, as a CIA intelligence analyst and manager, represented the US on the delegation to Mutual and Balanced Force Reductions in 1973, worked with Republicans and Democrats of all political persuasions for 24 years at the Congressional Research Service, and have many good friends in Denmark.

Watch more
Trump claims he received 'deep respect' at Nato summit
Poor, lonely Donald Trump was showed up by the Mean Girls of Nato
How a viral video and a Donald Trump tantrum derailed the Nato summit
Angry Trump lashes out over video of world leaders making fun of him
In a moment of exasperation Macron let Trump know what everyone thinks
"I am certain I will be back, even if the US Embassy will not sponsor me. I look forward to returning to Denmark to talk about NATO, transatlantic relations, American democracy and freedom of speech."

In an email to Mr Sloan, quoted by Buzzfeed, Mr Struwe wrote that the embassy's actions were "in total disharmony with the way, the Danish Atlantic Council want to act".

He added: "Thus knowing that you do criticise the President of the United States, we believe that Freedom of Speech is paramount in every democracy, and we do not see a conflict between the Freedom of Speech and participating as a Speaker at an international conference.

Independent news email
Enter your email address
Continue
Register with your social account or click here to log in

I would like to receive morning headlines
Monday - Friday plus breaking news alerts by email
"Having said that, the Danish Atlantic Council is not in a position, where we can ignore the given instructions by the Embassy of the United States, when the instructions are clear and specific."

Donald Trump says Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is 'two-faced'
Ms Sands is a former actress, chiropractor and businesswoman who was appointed US ambassador to Denmark after donating almost $250,000 to Mr Trump's campaign.

Last week Mr Trump attended the Nato summit in London but left abruptly after video emerged of other world leaders – including Britain's Boris Johnson, Canada's Justin Trudeau and French president Emmanuel Macron – apparently laughing at him.

MORE ABOUT
NATO | DENMARK | DONALD TRUMP | DEMOCRATS | REPUBLICANS | CARLA SANDS
GET IN TOUCH
Contact us
Jobs
OUR PRODUCTS
Subscriptions
Install our apps
Archive
OTHER PUBLICATIONS
Evening Standard
Novaya Gazeta
EXTRAS
All topics
Voucher codes
Advertising guide
Syndication
LEGAL
Code of conduct and complaints
Contributors
Cookie policy
Privacy notice
User policies
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.🖖

Marcus Aurelius
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic