Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic Forum > Political Discussion > Politics - Political Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Trump on the Wuhan virus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Newbie1A View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie1A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 8:22am
Originally posted by jacksdad jacksdad wrote:

Yep, we’re screwed. Though in truth, there’s no amount of funding we could throw at a potentially major pandemic that would make much difference. Back in 1918, people knew how to survive if there was nobody else to look after them. Nowadays, Twitter goes down and half the of the civilized world curls up in the fetal position clutching their smartphones.

SO darn true!!!
If it's to be - it's up to me!
Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 6:57am

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-usa/trump-says-us-has-shut-down-coronavirus-threat-china-shuns-us-help-idUSKBN1ZW0OJ
Excerpts..

Trump appeared to downplay concerns about the impact in the United States of the flu-like virus that has killed 350 people in China and spread to more than two dozen countries, telling Fox television in an interview, “We’re gonna see what happens, but we did shut it down, yes.”

"Chad Wolf, U.S. Homeland Security acting secretary, said the overall risk to the American public remains low.

https://www.dailydot.com/layer8/trump-germaphobe-ebola-coronavirus-twitter/

Back in 2014, in the lead up to the midterm election, President Donald Trump hit the conservative media circuit—and the “send tweet” button—repeatedly offering his opinion on the Ebola outbreak, and epidemic that was overwhelming West Africa at thee time.
At one point, Trump demanded Obama hug every person in the U.S. who may contract Ebola.

President Obama has a personal responsibility to visit & embrace all people in the US who contract Ebola!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 15, 2014

He also hit at the president for golfing during the epidemic

President Obama has a major meeting on the N.Y.C. Ebola outbreak, with people flying in from all over the country, but decided to play golf!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 24, 20

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-golf-coronavirus-barack-obama-ebola-twitter-a9313001.html
Donald Trump posted a photo of himself “getting a little exercise” on the golf course this morning as the US grapples with the spread of coronavirus - despite criticising Barack Obama for doing the same thing during the Ebola outbreak.

It came as an eighth person in the US was diagnosed with the virus in Massachusetts. Despite fears over how the illness could spread, Mr Trump found time to hit the fairway, clad in white polo shirt, blue slacks, and a red Keep America Great baseball cap.
Notanewbie View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Notanewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 5:29pm

"It’s one person coming in from China. We have it under control. It’s going to be just fine,” Trump told CNBC’s Joe Kernen from the World Economic Forum in Davos.The president said he trusts the information coming out of China on the coronavirus, which has killed nine people there and sickened 100's “ I have a great relationship with President Xi,” said Trump, addressing a question about whether he’s concerned about transparency in China. “The relationship is very good.”

Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools that don't have brains enough to be honest.”
― Benjamin Franklin.   
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 3:50pm
Trump is just like all other Presidents who are trying to keep people from panicking and the stock markets stable (not happening) but he is smart just trying to keep it together for us. This is not the time to be critical it is time to pull together and help each other.
ME163 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ME163 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 3:35pm
guys, lets get real. Trump is a man who is not very smart. He is also being misled by china. We are woefully unprepared for anything. If it comes here, we will have at least 3 million deaths. 16 million in hospitals and lots more infected. China is not being honest with the world.
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 4:05pm
I'm obsessive! There are always too many gaps!
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 3:57pm
I’m the same way, FluMom. I’m going through my garage, and I’m very pleasantly surprised at what I’ve put aside. I’m short on space so things are scattered all over, but I’m not seeing too many gaps.

"Buy it cheap. Stack it deep"
"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 3:49pm
Water is the biggest problem for me. I will have to save my gas to go 2 miles get water out of a river and then sanitize it. LOL Albert said something that jogged my memory I have water cubes that I can put in my car to get water and use the clean ones to sanitize all the water in. I have so much I forget what I have...lol!
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 2:30pm
Excellent point. If a major pandemic were to hit and compromise our supply lines, that’s when we’d see the real threat a virus can present to our way of life. Even with a really nasty bug, your odds of surviving are overwhelmingly in your favor. But if the shelves start to go bare (or God forbid, the lights go off and the faucets run dry), that’s when we’ll see how dire things can get.

"Any community that fails to prepare, with the expectation that the federal government will come to the rescue, will be tragically wrong." Michael Leavitt, HHS Secretary.
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Notanewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 2:18pm

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-01-24/coronavirus-update-how-the-virus-is-affecting-global-business

For global corporations, Wuhan is an important hub. Of about 2,000 cities in China with factories and other facilities in Bloomberg's supply chain database, the city ranks 13th, with about 500 facilities. The province of Hubei has 1,016, making it seventh of 32 such jurisdictions. U.S.-based companies have 44 facilities there, and European ones about 40, the data show. Many plants are in the auto and transportation industries, and big
names include PepsiCo Inc. and Siemens AG

This is just for Hubei prefecture, How many across China will be impacted.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 12:27pm
I agree, FluMom.
Use your best judgment and stay safe, guys.

WitchMisspelled View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WitchMisspelled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by jacksdad jacksdad wrote:

Without getting into the politics of it, I honestly doubt that anyone at the CDC is telling the administration that the outbreak is “totally under control”. I suspect that’s Trump’s take on the situation.
I guarantee the CDC is in panic mode right now behind the scenes.

I couldn't have put it better myself.   
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 11:08am
I have to agree with both of you on this. Any President would play this down to save the stock market. If the world really gets hit with lots of deaths all the markets are going to tank, just a fact. We just have to look at what we know and hope all of us can make good decisions as this develops.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 10:51am
I agree, JD. If fact, it's not beyond Trump to tell them to downplay it for it now. I trade stocks, and belong to numerous groups. Trump is well known for hyping the stock market via tweets, and at the moment, the market is heading south, and Trump definitely doesn't like that.
https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 10:45am
Without getting into the politics of it, I honestly doubt that anyone at the CDC is telling the administration that the outbreak is “totally under control”. I suspect that’s Trump’s take on the situation.
I guarantee the CDC is in panic mode right now behind the scenes.

jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 10:43am
Originally posted by FluMom FluMom wrote:

Funny how a possible pandemic gets me to get my shed and basement in order.

Me too 😆😆

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 10:36am
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 10:11am
Yep I have to agree on that one Albert. If this does not burn itself out we are in trouble. I am hoping for a burn out.   However that being said I just spent over $800 in things I needed. Funny how a possible pandemic gets me to get my shed and basement in order.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 10:07am
Unfortunately, Trump is VERY motivated to pacify people due to the stock market, which has been faltering due to this situation.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 9:52am
I really like President Trump but his people and he are being misled. Nothing is under control but I think every President is so isolated they do not realize what is truly happening. So please don't blame Trump, I think the CDC is telling him they have it under control when it will never really be under control.
jacksdad View Drop Down
Executive Admin
Executive Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 9:31am
Yep, we’re screwed. Though in truth, there’s no amount of funding we could throw at a potentially major pandemic that would make much difference. Back in 1918, people knew how to survive if there was nobody else to look after them. Nowadays, Twitter goes down and half the of the civilized world curls up in the fetal position clutching their smartphones.

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Notanewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 9:23am
https://www.thenation.com/article/society/coronavirus-flu-epidemic-diseases/

You’ve probably read about the outbreak. But you may not know how badly prepared the United States is to counter a pandemic, as a result of bipartisan neglect of our public health infrastructure. The highlights: In 2012, the Obama administration reallocated billions of dollars away from the Prevention and Public Health Fund to make up for cuts to Medicare’s physician payments. In 2018, Congress cut the PPHF by another $1 billion, and the Trump administration then diverted additional millions away from the National Institutes of Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In response, the CDC cut its global epidemic prevention efforts by 80 percent, radically downsizing its operations in 39 of the 49 countries it had a presence in, including China and Congo, currently the epicenter of Ebola. Last year, Trump proposed slashing the DHS budget by another 12 percent and the CDC budget by 10 percent.

The result of this dangerous downsizing: As the world stands on the verge of a new epidemic, the United States has 50,000 fewer local public-health employees than it did in 2008. Instead of stopping an outbreak early, America’s now reduced to taking the temperature of travelers at major airports.
EdwinSm, View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdwinSm, Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 11:17am
Quote The first US case was confirmed on Tuesday. President Donald Trump said the situation was "totally under control" and that he trusted the information being provided by Chinese authorities

BBC link

While I have my opinions about this, we will see what time shows about this being under control.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic