Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

Exponential Growth - Stop and Read Immediately

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 19>
Author
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2020 at 8:33pm
Here's something that will flip your lid to think about..

t generally takes 3-4 weeks to die after infection. If there are suddenly 18 deaths in Iran as of today (from 0 beginning yesterday), it should be obvious the virus has been circulating a while, because people don't all of sudden die immediately upon infection. In other words, likely since or before Jan. 22..So, Iran, now, at 18 deaths, and at a 2% CFR, implies there were 900 infections 3-4 WEEKS ago, and it has been spreading unrecognized since then. SO...How many today?

My guess? 20,000-40,000 have it now in Iran. No joke. When COVID-19 exploded from Wuhan because they could no longer conceal it from the world, it was Jan. 21, with estimates of 75,000 infected or so. But back on December 31st, there were 41 serious cases, probably of a larger group that perhaps numbered a 500-1000 by 12/31. It's that kind of history that is illustrative. It seems that neither the world, nor Iran, apparently, doesn't yet fully understand or appreciate the complete nature of the storm that is upon them or will soon be (or they do, and will try to crack down worse than China).

Same logic applies with S. Korea, suddenly 7 deaths. Circulating for weeks. 763 confirmed at the moment. Likely thousands more. For weeks. Traveling to other parts of S. Korea, Japan, Asia, Indonesia, the United States, Europe...probably right now...may not even know they are infected. Right now, anywhere.
BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2020 at 8:48pm
My prediction for the US at the moment? Because of the scandalous lack of testing, we may see in the next few weeks (2-3 perhaps) a few sudden reports of severe pneumonia and deaths from COVID-19 from currently unknown infected. Yes, deaths, "out of the blue." I hope I'm wrong, but I wouldn't say it if I didn't think it was a strong possibility.
BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2020 at 9:10pm

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2020 at 9:30pm

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 1:32am
Up late, can't sleep. 2,330 cases and climbing by the minute.

As I mentioned before, friends, things will start to move very quickly. Iranian cases now showing up in Bahrain and Kuwait (Canada), reports of 50+ deaths in Qom, Iran, by the mayor, reports of testing limit breaches in Italy (where the local mayor was also symptomatic), massive additional testing in S. Korea, positive Koreans in Israel, it's all erupting in many places simultaneously it seems. It will increase even further. I fear people who haven't really considered this possibility are going to start to panic, unfortunately.

At the moment, I'm considering accepting the possibility that the old exponential models I was using are now no longer valid, and the international world has entered a new exponential, possibly hyperbolic, phase. I still have to work out what that may look look in this next phase of spread. But, I think we may reach 10,000 cases not only by March 7-9, or March 5th, but sooner, and perhaps in even a week. It may take two weeks from now to see that this has been the case, though.

The way the numbers are climbing reminds me of the early phases of Wuhan confirmations. Essentially, the infections already exist, they had weeks to grow and spread, and now it's just a matter of testing/confirmation catching up.

Fairly soon, after perhaps a new exponential, or even hyperbolic stage, and mitigation, the rise will start to curve back down on the log chart, as we have seen with the China data, but I think it will be an enormous, ongoing, country by country, battle worldwide, and it's only just begun.

The following charts are what I'm considering at the moment. The first, is a basic primer on the way these two curves, exponential and hyperbolic would look in a case like this. The second, is an example of the early phases of Wuhan's confirmation, before I think Xi's directive to squelch the data.

One should also keep in mind, too, at some point, many governments will just stop (or not even start) testing and focus scarce resources on emergency medical care and community mitigation efforts. That's what I'll be doing in a sense as well, preparing. Take care.

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 1:48am
As a great example, South Korea's confirmation rate (this is yesterday's data) is hyperbolic at the moment. I fear the world is going to be like this soon. This long case incubation period is like the world's longest ticking time bomb. The fuse was lit in South Korea, Iran, and Italy weeks ago, now we are seeing the results. It's probably already well-established, but unreported yet, in other places...Malaysia? India?

Pandemic View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pandemic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 1:50am
Surely, the hyperbolic phase would be temporary as the the current doubling rate outside of China appears rapid.

Sadly, we did not learn from the Wuhan disaster.

World governments could have shut down all transport systems for a period of time. This action alone could have saved the unfolding scenario.

Now its a case of catchup😿
BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 1:58am
Yes, exactly, it will probably be temporary, and merely reflect the testing confirmation rate.

And, no, we did not learn from the Wuhan disaster. The world squandered precious time to prepare, in my opinion. But that's entirely predictable human nature, no?

The next phase will be a battle. City by city, country by country. Some countries will try to contain it (keep it out), and some countries will try to mitigate it, stop people inside from infecting others inside, or both. Dr. Osterholm said that it's silly to try to contain it, it acts like the flu, and it's like fighting the wind.
Newbie1A View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie1A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 4:55am
Originally posted by BabyCat BabyCat wrote:

t generally takes 3-4 weeks to die after infection. If there are suddenly 18 deaths in Iran as of today (from 0 beginning yesterday), it should be obvious the virus has been circulating a while, because people don't all of sudden die immediately upon infection. In other words, likely since or before Jan. 22..So, Iran, now, at 18 deaths, and at a 2% CFR, implies there were 900 infections 3-4 WEEKS ago, and it has been spreading unrecognized since then. SO...How many today?

My guess? 20,000-40,000 have it now in Iran.

Isn't this in a way a good sign though? If say 30,000 have it and now a 100 die, doesn't that mean that the rate of death from this is way lower then 2%?
Maybe I'm looking at this wrong (another sleepless night) but if 30,000 have it and even if takes another few weeks for the deaths to catch up, won't the CFR end up being way lower? I'm hoping...
Or are you thinking that if 30k have now in another few weeks at 2% CFR there will 600 dead? This whole looking in the review mirror as someone said, sure makes calculating numbers harder...

And again - I think the 'other fallout' economic, lack of hospital/ICU beds even for other conditions, panic of Joe Public etc etc will cause more death then the illness itself... but death is death and when it's a loved one it hurts just the same regardless of cause.
If it's to be - it's up to me!
Newbie1A View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Newbie1A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 5:02am

My prediction for the US at the moment? Because of the scandalous lack of testing, we may see in the next few weeks (2-3 perhaps) a few sudden reports of severe pneumonia and deaths from COVID-19 from currently unknown infected. Yes, deaths, "out of the blue." I hope I'm wrong, but I wouldn't say it if I didn't think it was a strong possibility.

I was talking to 2 different ppl yesterday - one said, "I don't know how serious this really is, the media are saying nothing, govt' is doing nothing". I replied "once all of a sudden we have a bunch of deaths from it and no one knows 'where' they caught it from - panic will hit and ppl will take it seriously". Till then - it's just a problem 'on the other side of the world'!

I agree 100% on this one. It's pushed every button I don't have that our government has done NOTHING to protect the Canadian people! It has not stopped flights from China (or any other form of incoming traffic), everything is 'voluntary' (oh, if you don't mind could you possibly just stay in your home for a couple weeks!?!?!), etc. Clueless! As many have said, the waste of a precious time window that China gave.
If it's to be - it's up to me!
BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 9:46am
Good chart (but ignore China numbers, they're bunk). It includes number tested - reasonably accurate - current US CDC numbers on website is 426. Some recent information missing (like Italy's testing data)

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 12:38pm

It's also possible there may be waves of fluctuating numbers, as clusters erupt and fall, and countries become infected, try to contain/mitigate, until other places, countries erupt anew. So if numbers start to fall, it may be just a lull.
Pixie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 1:11pm
Did you get a bit of shut eye? We will probably all burn the midnite oil going forward!

I was thinking today ,Diamond Princess which is still producing positives,gave a fairly accurate how contagious,but now with as  many 2/3 cases circulating  quietly with staggered incubation days,we will never have an accurate case number,so how can we really get a real CFR? The goal post is constantly moving. Haven't checked Italy count ,last count 180? With 7 deaths,that's heading towards CFR of 5% base on these figures.

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 1:27pm
I think some things will cancel out, SK testing lots, proportionally few positives; Iran testing near nil, more deaths; Italy has testing efficiency problems I read. Ultimately, over time, I think the intl, rate should approximate pretty closely, considering it's spread out over multiple countries that are fairly honest about their data (except China), and that's why I posted the separate thread. Now, I think some countries are purposefully under-testing (US, Indonesia, India, etc.), but only time will tell how that turns out.
ksc View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 1:34pm
Percent of world infected by virus...

10%

5%

1%

.05%

.005%

0   -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dec 1        Jan 1             Feb 1        Mar 1
BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 1:40pm
Hi and welcome KSC - yes, that'd be a good chart to build. All the fanshy-shmanshy 'experts' are telling us to just shut up and take our pandemic like good little children, while they sat on their asses and worried about not offending their market masters (CHINA, etc.) when the warning signs were flashing RED, it could still be contained, etc etc....only a few will die if we don't panic. BULL*%^#!
BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 1:40pm
double post
Tabitha111 View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tabitha111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 1:53pm
Can someone explain to me about the WHO not using the word "pandemic" anymore? Does that mean that there will not be one declared at all, even if it meets the definition? I am confused.
BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 2:05pm
By the way, Marc Lipsitch, Harvard, one of premier infectious diseases experts in the world, said his best guess is currently 100-200 cases circulating in the US right now. I agree, but think it's probably more, and will be more, soon. At 2% CFR in 3-4 weeks, right about now, we should start seeing some serious cases about now. The next 2-3 weeks should be rather interesting.

https://twitter.com/mlipsitch

About pandemic verbiage, the WHO is clueless, you can read some of the tweets on Twitter, here's a sample: https://twitter.com/DrEricDing

There are no "phases" anymore, nor 'declarations'. It's all just continued word play and intentional confusion, in my opinion. It's a travesty.
BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 2:52pm
BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 3:03pm
Quote:
- "Serious mistake was made not to quarantine people who arrived in Italy from China" said Walter Ricciardi of the WHO,

*Comment: Gee, ya think?*

adding that "within two weeks we will know if we are facing an epidemic" and advising that, for the next two weeks, people "should avoid crowded places: metro, buses, trains, schools, discos, and gyms."
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

---

The US is also going to learn the hard way it should have mandated quarantine
for all visitors who had been in China, not just Wuhan or Hubei...In fact, worldwide, even better. But, then again, that would require bold leadership from the WHO, or the UN, and let's face it, that wasn't about to happen because China would have whined.

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 4:59pm
If anyone hasn't read this article yet, please do:

"Lipsitch predicts that, within the coming year, some 40 to 70 percent of people around the world will be infected with the virus that causes COVID-19. But, he clarifies emphatically, this does not mean that all will have severe illnesses. “It’s likely that many will have mild disease, or may be asymptomatic,” he said.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/02/covid-vaccine/607000/
--
The pandemic has started. But, I truly disagree it will be a mild hit. It will upheave societies and reverberate for months. Unless a country can impose draconian crackdowns like China and isolate an entire province (where supposedly the CFR is 4%- my best guess is there have been 50,000 deaths or more), everyone's in for a heap of trouble. At 1% CFR and a severity rate of 4% (now on the lower side I think, with continually updated intl data, that will mean shocking numbers of deaths...

Do the math. Follow the logic. Lipsitch, cautious Harvard epi. expert:

40-70% of the globe = 7.5 Billion * (.4 to .7) = 3.0 to 5.25 BILLION INFECTED

1% of 3-5.25 BILLION?

30 - 52.5 MILLION PEOPLE DEAD

4% SEVERE ILL?

140 to 210 MILLION SEVERELY ILL.

This was just a projection for 1917/18 Influenza pandemic redux for the modern era.
BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 5:01pm

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 5:13pm
many of these are imported cases, but still they're here.

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 6:55pm
Ok, time for some review of prior projections, to see how well they fared.

Today is later on 2/24, and there are 2,491 worldwide infections outside of China (38 deaths).

I'll start with the scariest chart (not mine) from the beginning of this thread. It didn't happen *yet* for many reasons. China shut down, essentially completely, Then, they burned the data along with their dead. No one believes there are only 2600 dead and only 70,000 infected in China. Not the US, not any serious expect. The undercount is by a factor of at least 5-10 times.

Maybe, though, China, bought the world some time.

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 7:01pm
This, though, was one of my first projections of international infections. It's held up pretty well, I would say.

Predicted 1,000 within a few days, 2,000 the day of, and we're on track for 3,000 by the 27th.

It also projected significant escape within 45-60 days from the 8th, roughly March 24-April 8th.

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 7:09pm
This doubling chart was a low estimate, already.

While this 14% chart was quite accurate till now, and now, is low.

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 7:13pm
This chart is also still quite accurate at the moment. If you look where we should be for the 23rd and 24th (each minor line on the left axis is another 1,000 cases from 1,000 to 10,000 major lines), it matches up very well.

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 7:16pm
This chart is also still very accurate:

But this is low already

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 7:20pm
This one is essentially BANG ON (just slightly under 2500, where we are at this minute).

While this exponential a bit under. (In fact, that's a pattern, the straight-line log charts seem to be more accurate than the exponential ones)

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 7:24pm
Again, the doubling chart is way off, and under, which suggests doubling time may be less than 6 after all, perhaps 5, or even 4, as I mentioned way earlier in this thread.

This one is still an open question.

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 7:28pm
This one looks fairly conservative, and likely to be accurate (a low to minimum case scenario) in the next few weeks.

And this one is now a low projection
BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 7:33pm
Finally, a couple more recent ones.

These two still look ok now, but a few more days will tell. I have the sense something has definitely shifted and we'll see an explosive rise, shortly, but I do try to just look at the numbers and see what they're telling us.

KiminNM View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiminNM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 7:37pm
BabyCat, I am so appreciative of your work. And, please, STOP BEING RIGHT! lol

Just kidding. I've finally learned to pre-medicate before looking at your graphs.   

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 7:50pm

--
The pandemic has started. But, I truly disagree it will be a mild hit. It will upheave societies and reverberate for months. Unless a country can impose draconian crackdowns like China and isolate an entire province (where supposedly the CFR is 4%- my best guess is there have been 50,000 deaths or more), everyone's in for a heap of trouble. At 1% CFR and a severity rate of 4% (now on the lower side I think, with continually updated intl data, that will mean shocking numbers of deaths...

Do the math. Follow the logic. Lipsitch, cautious Harvard epi. expert:

40-70% of the globe = 7.5 Billion * (.4 to .7) = 3.0 to 5.25 BILLION INFECTED

1% of 3-5.25 BILLION?

30 - 52.5 MILLION PEOPLE DEAD

4% SEVERE ILL?

140 to 210 MILLION SEVERELY ILL.

This was just a projection for 1917/18 Influenza pandemic redux for the modern era.

Thanks. Sometimes I don't like being right. But it's my nature to try.

The above I'd love to be wrong about.
BeachMama View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeachMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 8:14pm
My husband walked in as I was looking at your charts, and immediately asked, “Hey, are you okay?”

I told him yeah and asked why he thought I wasn’t.

“You were looking really troubled as you looked at your phone right now.”

“Oh — I was looking at BabyCat’s graphs about the virus.”

He just nodded knowingly and went to bed. LOL
BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 9:12pm
Lol, exponential numbers are spooky, except when I imagine earning continuously compounded interest...

Math joke:
Q:Do you know why the absolute value function (ex: |x|=x, |-x|=x ) is always the most optimistic function?
A: Because it turns every negative into a positive.

Maybe I should use those in my charts...
BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 9:22pm
Back to bad news:
A WHO expert warns of outbreaks in other countries 'increasing at exponential growth rates'

snip
WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the peak in China occurred between January 23 and February 2 and the number of new cases there "has been declining steadily since then."

However, WHO expert Bruce Aylward, leader of a joint WHO-China mission of experts, warned on Monday of outbreaks in other countries "increasing at exponential growth rates."

https://www.rappler.com/world/regions/asia-pacific/252627-death-toll-novel-coronavirus-february-25-2020?

---

NOW they tell us? I could have told them that a few weeks ago, as could many. Exponential doesn't just mean big, you see. It means, do they fit along an exponential curve?? More incompetence from supposed subject matter experts at the WHO. They should be fired and replaced, starting with the Tedros idiot at the top.

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 10:10pm
Now, for some really scary s%$%!

From recent press conf. of Joint WHO-CHINA mission:

Given my post above, let's run the numbers from Marc Lipsitch's estimate for the 40-70% of the world infected by COVID-19 shall we?

7.5 Billion people - 40-70 % infected -> 3 - 5.25 BILLION

13.8% SEVERE -> 414 MILLION to 724,500,000 MILLION PEOPLE VERY SICK

6.1% CRITICAL -> 183 MILLION TO 320.25 MILLION PEOPLE IN CRITICAL CONDITION

2.3% FATALITY RATE? --> 69 MILLION to 120.75 MILLION DEAD

---

This is not a drill.

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 10:11pm
2/3 of the cases are below the water circulating around the world right now...

FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 10:14pm
They will have to close schools churches kid sports professional sports concerts.   This is going to get interesting.
BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 10:19pm

Notice the green on the lower chart. People are getting infected in their home countries. China is no longer the source of most new infections. The same is likely true for other countries.
BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 8:45am
Good morning - early on Feb 25, and 2705 infections and climbing. As projected back on the 8th, we'll likely hit 3,000 by Feb. 27th, maybe even today or tomorrow.

The following charts are mostly from yesterday's data.

BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 4:42pm
Important clarification from Marc Lipsitch:

--
ncreased confidence in claims: Since I wrote this, large numbers of cases have appeared in new countries (Iran, Italy) or increased dramatically (S. Korea), increasing the evidence that this will become or already is a pandemic.
Marc Lipsitch
@mlipsitch
¡
2h
Modified in light of evolving evidence: 1) The 40-70% figure strictly speaking is only a sensible prediction for adults. Detected infections in kids to date are rare. Can happen, but rare. Still unclear if they are rarely infected or just so mild that they are rarely detected.
Marc Lipsitch
@mlipsitch
¡
2h
Until we know, safest to reserve the predictions for adults. 2) Increasing evidence that the extremely intense control measures in China have reduced transmission while they are in force. As long as such intense control measures are in place it is possible to imagine...
Marc Lipsitch
@mlipsitch
¡
2h
keeping the number infected well below 40%. I don't believe most countries (maybe not even China) can keep such controls for months or a year, the minimum time frame for potentially having a vaccine. But even more moderate ones if effective could reduce incidence considerably
Marc Lipsitch
@mlipsitch
¡
2h
So in light of
@WHO
's statements of the last days that these measures have been super effective, this seems the most likely way the 40% lower bound could be too high. I very much hope this is the case, but we do need to think about what controls like that for months mean.
Marc Lipsitch
@mlipsitch
Replying to
@mlipsitch

@MauSantillana
and 3 others

Summary: Should have said 40-70% of adults in a situation without effective controls.

---

https://twitter.com/mlipsitch/status/1232427654802026497

==

What I think this means is that if you live under a totalitarian regime like China, you might have a pretty good chance.
BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 7:06pm
Some updated projections:

2/25/20 evening, and at 2,931 so far (close to 3,000 as projected). Perhaps it will pass 3,000 tonight, but for sure by the end of tomorrow.

Here's the current projections, if spread continues similarly. This assumption, to me, is reasonable because the world has tried its best to stop the virus from spreading through travel restrictions, screening, quarantines, contact tracing, etc., but the infectious spread just marches on as the exponential trend has demonstrated. In fact, I think there is a risk for explosive growth in areas which are unable to respond quickly enough (e.g. Iran) or places with high rates of travel and urban concentration (Europe), and there may be a "Wuhan" moment somewhere, where the virus suddenly erupts. Not sure where, but perhaps Japan, Europe, or Iran. The fact that more than several Iranian travel cases (people who visited Iran) are now being confirmed as positive in other countries signals a very large and significant spread (as does the story of the Deputy chief of Health in Iran becoming infected), the US CDC and State Dept travel warnings to S. Korean, Japan, etc., and Japanese decision to focus efforts on mitigation rather than containment signals significant spread very, very soon.

5,000 by Feb. 29
10,000 by March 5
100,000 by March 20
1,000,000 by April 5
10,000,000 by April 19

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 19>
  Share Topic