Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Main Forums > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

China confirms coronavirus is airborne

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: China confirms coronavirus is airborne
    Posted: February 09 2020 at 7:06pm

If this is true... I suppose the world will know in a matter of days.

China confirms coronavirus is airborne

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/china-confirms-coronavirus-is-airborne/ar-BBZOXg2?fbclid=IwAR3zD0PSnLsLS5t3m4bD1Boxaf3OtUK8Qx9a2cy2tlVGenMHxr4H9rlgLnM
https://www.facebook.com/Avianflutalk
FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 7:12pm
Ok so did we not already know this. Does airborne mean something else than sneeze cough airborne?
BabyCat View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 7:18pm
Still trying to figure this one out, whether it's normal aerosolized droplets within 2 meters of a sneeze or cough, OR...aerosolized spreading hundreds of meters or more.

I suspect it's the latter, hence the massive spray trucks everywhere..even the highways!!
Flubergasted View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flubergasted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 7:21pm
When someone sneezes or coughs in your general area you can be infected with a cold, flu, etc. Where I work, we would put someone with an infection like this on "droplet precautions." Things that are genuinely airborne are typically things like tuberculosis. You can reduce your risk of being infected by someone on droplet precautions by keeping yourself six feet away from them when not performing direct care. Not so with airborne infectious diseases. Those can be transmitted across much greater distances.

Edited to add: Ventilation is important for family members living in the same home with an infected person. It is not just coughing and sneezing that they have to worry about. It can be singing or shouting that can spread the infection. Homes need to be ventilated so that the virus doesn't build up in the air and infect everyone. Really casts the boarding up of homes in a new light for me. They made it so much worse...
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 7:34pm
One thing is for sure, China doesn't like to *announce* anything. I take it as they are issuing a warning about a very recent mutation, and a warning in general, and also that containment will not be possible. Who knows.
FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 7:45pm
Had a friend ask if you could get it from an open window with you next door ill neighbor with an open window.   So that answer is YES that is possible...not good.

Worse yet is one kid could spread it through the whole school or one adult through a factory.
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by Albert Albert wrote:

One thing is for sure, China doesn't like to *announce* anything. I take it as they are issuing a warning about a very recent mutation, and a warning in general, and also that containment will not be possible. Who knows.

I think we'd already noticed that containment was not possible!
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
KiwiMum View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by FluMom FluMom wrote:

Had a friend ask if you could get it from an open window with you next door ill neighbor with an open window.   So that answer is YES that is possible...not good.

Worse yet is one kid could spread it through the whole school or one adult through a factory.

Think of those poor people on that cruise liner who are in internal cabins with no natural light or window. They rely 100% on piped air. They might all end up getting it.
Those who got it wrong, for whatever reason, may feel defensive and retrench into a position that doesn’t accord with the facts.
FluMom View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Valued Member Since 2006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 10:33pm
Yep sorry to say they may get it but if they are young will most likely get over it no problem. The old people a toss up.
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 1:45am
All coronaviruses are airborne. It is a function of their shape. Because they are globular (small surface area with proteins on outside of the 'envelope') they can survive drying, brief periods of ultraviolet and the other rigors of existance in the air. That is what airborne means!
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 1:50am
Not all are airborne, and most coronaviruses don't infect humans, and the ones that do cause little to no symptoms.

MERS is not airborne, and neither was SARS. 2019-nCoV is.
pheasant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pheasant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 2:06am
There are multiple articles posted in regards to the airborne issue. It appears they are parsing words as to distance of travel, and suspension time.

The Chinese are not ambiguous about this....I just don't understand why they are admitting it...(dry humor).

The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself......FDR
Technophobe View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technophobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 2:27am
Boss:   https://www.atzlabs.com/pdf/Airborne-microbe-list.pdf No 10 on the list: coronavirus!

No, they don't all infect humans, but that was not the question.

As to SARS, we will never know as it was pretty much kept secret until it had been contained. MERS is usually found in very hot countries, where there are dromedary camels. Even 'airborne' viruses can't travel far under those hot/dry/ultraviolet conditons. I can fly in a plane, but not in a no-fly zone. As it is not fully adapted to humans (no H2H) you probably need a large nnumber of viral particles to get it as well; air being such a voluminous substance, the viral load would be small in any one area too.
How do you tell if a politician is lying?
His lips or pen are moving.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 5:12am
ok thanks.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 5:17am
I believe they are saying aerosol-type of airborne transmission, which is concerning.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic