Click to Translate to English Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese  Click to Translate to Myanmar (Burmese)

PANDEMIC ALERT LEVEL
Forum Home Forum Home > Pandemic Prepping Forums > Medical Intervention & Prevention
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tracking the next pandemic: Avian Flu Talk

SECONDARY PNEUMONIA FROM SEVERE FLU

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2006 at 8:41am
Why only 2 in a lifetime and what is her guess about the time SHE  thinks you really need it ? Shocked
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2006 at 8:21am
I called my children's pediatrician and she did not feel my children needed the PPV shot -- only those in a high risk catergory. She also does not administer, or recommend it. (Zero support here). The Pediatric nurse did state to call the Health Department which I did. The nurse there told me that it mostly given to those 65 and older and those with chronic problems such as diabetes, heart disease, etc. She also stated you can receive only 2 shots in a lifetime and that it is better to wait until you really need it ( I did mention avian influenza! -- what bettter time than now to get vaccinated!)

So, this leaves me wondering where I can immunize myself and my children with PPV. Any ideas? And, if I do have my children vaccinated -- and the Pediatrician does not support this action -- do I need to inform her to update the children's charts?
Rocky View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2006 at 1:11pm
Just to make this clear, we are talking about pneumo vax 23 and NOT the seasonal flu vaccination, right?

If so, I agree (see my earlier post) about going to walk in clinics and saying you want teh pneumo vax 23 vaccination. Don't call first.

If that does't work, I know relatives who have had luck calling places like WalGreen, Safeway, Costco, (etc. big name groceries with drugs and drug stores) to see when they are having the next pneumoia shot clinic.

Good luck. Rocky

Originally posted by Albert Albert wrote:

This could be a potential problem that I saw developing last winter.   A lot places are selling out of the vaccinations because the word is starting to get out.  I would suggest finding a clinic that has them available.   They are out there,  but you have to keep looking. 

Prepare for the Unexpected!
Rocky
http://www.homeemergencyusa.com
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2006 at 7:00am
Entropy: Thank you for your statement. It confirms for me what I have held in my heart. I will not elaborate lest I lead someone the wrong way. I mostly decide on the way to go through prayer and I am not anyone to follow.

I appreciate your honesty.

Jo: Be careful because the quality may not be the same in pet antibiotics.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2006 at 6:51am
 We cannot obtain any antivirals like Tamiflu or Relenza and all antibiotics that I have I have had to obtain by not taking them when they are prescribed for me for other things.
[/QUOTE]

Standinfirm, This was on another thread, and seems likely to me that all antibiotics would be manufactured by the same companies and then distributed to phamacies and veterinarians, so I purchased some from here. The cost is minimal since I don't have insurance anyway and don't have to pay the dr visit and fake an illness. You can look and decide for yourself, the dosages are the same as what we get from our doctors. Jo

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2006 at 6:45am

Standingfirm, you don't strike me as the type of person who would take "no" for an answer.  You might want to find a new doctor.

Unfortunately, doctor shopping can be quite costly and when you have others barely convinced of the necessity to do this, cooperation is almost nil. There are a few walk in clinics that I have tried to call but everyone quotes the CDC guidelines.

I have had 2 vacs in my life and I am painfully aware that this was a necessity for me. Our pediatrician and most of the docs around here say that they are following CDC guidelines regarding who should be given a pneumo vax. At one confrontation I asked if the doc was following those same guidelines for herself and her family? She hung up on me. I have tried the face to face, intellectual approach, to no avail. I do not understand how others are able to obtain these vacs with no trouble at all. We cannot obtain any antivirals like Tamiflu or Relenza and all antibiotics that I have I have had to obtain by not taking them when they are prescribed for me for other things.
ENTROPY View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ENTROPY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2006 at 4:47am
My opinions are just that and nothing to infer, suggest nor in any way give medical advice! I will only tell you my "educated" opinion from years of expierence, training, observation, intense education and current medical reading. Consult your own physician before making any decision. Vaccines and vaccination have a place in prophylaxsis and general medical therapy. That being said vaccines are not without very SIGNIFICANT risks. Passenger proteins, viruses, RNA,DNA fragments are often present. This is true even with recombinant formulations, unfortunately. I know personally of medical staff who received pooled plasma Hepatitis C vaccine and only later found out it wasn't recombinant. Some were HIV positive. Smallpox vaccine is still a problem and is given only under strict guidlines. Look at the history of BCG vaccine for TB where the patients were no longer capable of being diagnosed and treated with certainty due to the positive skin test caused by BCG. Yearly Seasonal Influenza vaccinations do not afford the protection people think each year. Look at the mortality rates, age adjusted, for those who receive the vaccination and those that don't.The vaccine every year becomes more polyvalent because the strains and codes are ever more varied. Rememeber the "problems" recently with the seasonal influenza vaccine from the European manufacturer. Vaccine for HPAI(Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza) will come along probley late and less precise than the companies would like. They are doing their best I believe but the magnitude of this is unfathonable. To take a vaccine  for "something" else in the hope it will help fight off HPAI or a secondary is  sheer lunacy in my opinion. The time may come when the governents will mandate vaccination even if the certaincy is not of sufficient risk ratio. That is because they MUST take action with respect to "SUPER-SPREADERS." It is not an enviable position to be in for such officials and authorities, but they may be forced to act. I believe this will be a 3 year process of waves of disease with diminishing numbers of cases. There is much more I would like to say but for now let me leave you with the following. There are various BioSafety Levels (BSL). you know of 1 thru 4 or 5 probably. In fact you will not find it on the Internet or elsewhere but there is BSL 7 which is Extraterestrial-now before you think I am nuts- remember when the men returned from the Apollo Moon missions they had to be Quarantined for just such a scenario. The reality of this is Common Sense Precautions, Hygeine, Minimal outside contact and life function/survival preparation. The Psychiatrist Carl Jung said "people cannot stand too much reality." Thomas Hardy(1840-1928) "If a way to the better there be, it lies in taking a full look at the worst." Mark Twain-"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.' i.e. vaccinations based on nothing more than anecdotal data for other diseases that "might" work for HPAI or secondary probabilities. Thank You...  
EYE in the SKY
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2006 at 6:37pm
This could be a potential problem that I saw developing last winter.   A lot places are selling out of the pneumonia vaccination because the word is starting to get out.  I would suggest finding a clinic that has them available.   They are out there,  but you have to keep looking. 

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2006 at 5:38pm
after albert posted that for me i called the mea and minor med care and asked if they had any and how much they both said no, not till oct. and only if you are young, old, or preg. i am none of those but i am disabled but with bi-polar and arthritus. i was gonna try a baptist clinic on mon. and tell them i was told i had copd like my husband has but what if they ask what meds. i'm on and i say comvent. will i be able to get it. i also take care of my mother and uncle ( uncle in last stages of copd) not doing good at all. he had his shot last year not sure the name of it just said phe. we got it at kroger.
Rocky View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2006 at 5:19pm
Apologies for the length, This is the email I sent re. pneumo vax 23 vaccine to my adult children who would probably join us if quarantine measures were appropriate

"If you have not gotten your pneumo vax 23 vaccine, please get it immediately. Forget about getting it from your regular doctor. They will tell you that you are too young, etc.

This won't help with a viral pneumonia that can come with the avian flu, but will help with bacterial pneumonia that can come after many flus, especially the avian flu.

It is an important step in all our efforts to remain healthy, pandemic or not. But in the pandemic plan it is one of the several things we can do to better our chances of staying healthy.

Possibly tamiflu and some other medications we have will be another link in this chain. Possibly also statins (drugs for lowering cholesterol levels). if you take statins, please bring them with you if you come. We are just trying to gain as much advantage as we can. Antibiotics may also be helpful for various pneumonia strains. Every bit of protection we can manage is a step in the right direction

Seasonal flu is no fun either. It can leave you incapacitated for weeks since it often leads to pneumonia (bacterial)

Go to your neighborhood walk-in clinic and tell them you want to buy a pneumo vax 23 vaccine. Don't accept another kind of pneumonia vaccine. You want PPV 23

If you need a story, tell them anything that works, be vague. You get upper respiratory infections easily and can't afford to be laid up with a bacterial pneumonia that might follow the seasonal flu, you have occasional asthma attacks, you have had bacterial pneumonia and sure don't want it again under any circumstances, you work closely with an immune suppressed co-worker and want to protect him, you are going to be traveling where it might be important to have the vaccine, etc etc. But the easiest way is just going in like any consumer and telling them what you want to buy. Don't mention avian flu or bird flu.

During any pandemic, people shouldn't gathering together as a group for quarantine protection unless they have a current seasonal flu shot (probably this Sept) and the pneumo vax (as soon as you can, like tomorrow!) i cannot emphasize this enough.

Just dedicate half a day, make a list of the nearest clinics, walk in and tell them what you want. I wouldn't call in advance because they will probably give you the run around. The vaccine takes a while to kick in, so don't wait. Also, you might have a sore arm for a day or two, so if that is important they could probably give it in your hip/thigh."

Rocky

Sherrie, you can go to any walk-in clinic to get it.  The price could range from $20.00 - $50.00 per person.  Try to find the best possible price.  Let me know what price you find.    

[IMG]height=17 alt=Smile src="http://www.avianflutalk.com/smileys/smiley1.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>

Prepare for the Unexpected!
Rocky
http://www.homeemergencyusa.com
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2006 at 10:11am
pf, I unblocked your email awhile ago.  

I gave you the whole new thread.  Post all of the info that you want.  These threads can hold a lot of information. 

Also, tell the wife not to give up.  You can post a link to her vitamin supplement site here as well.  You should ask her to start selling silver on her site.

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2006 at 8:46am
Sherrie, you can go to any walk-in clinic to get it.  The price could range from $20.00 - $50.00 per person.  Try to find the best possible price.  Let me know what price you find.   

Smile
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2006 at 8:30am
where do you get the pneumonia shot and how much does it cost. i asked at my doctor office last month the nurse sais the flu and pn. shot wasn't out yet and only going to the young old and preg.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2006 at 7:51am
Standingfirm, you don't strike me as the type of person who would take "no" for an answer.  You might want to find a new doctor.

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2006 at 7:50am
With over 10,000 views, we have gotten many people to get the pneumonia vaccination.  We have a good size wheel in motion with regard to getting the word out. 

Approximately 50% of the secondary pneumonia cases are bacterial.  The vaccination clearly increases the overall survival rate.  From my understanding, the H5N1 virus has resulted in more bacterial infections than viral infections, so the number could be much higher.  

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2006 at 7:20am
pf, it's a pneumonia vax thread. I know this because I'm the one who started it.  I also started it in our foreign language rooms in all languages, as well as on our other forums.  Believe me, I know the purpose of the thread.  I don't want to sidetrack people from getting it done by turning this into a CS thread.  I want to keep this somewhat focused.  

I will start another thread for you shortly and you can state your case.  

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2006 at 4:28am
Why is it that I can find no one who will give my 16-21 y.o. children and my husband this vaccine. Every doctor and clinic states the same thing "without a preexisting condition this vaccine is not warranted". 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2006 at 3:50am
Entropy, welcome aboard and please, keep posting. We could really use your expertise on the medical threads!!
Are you familiar with alternative medicines which might be useful?? There is a lot of information, but I'm not sure whuch is correct. Particularly, it seems to me, if we take steps to strengthen the immune system, might it not make us more vulnerable to the cytokine storm? Or would it give us a better chance of fighting off the infection in the first place?
Prep on!!!
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2006 at 10:14am
pf, when are you going to leave my pneumonia vax thread alone?     Smile
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2006 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by ENTROPY ENTROPY wrote:

It will be the simple things that will protect you and your loved ones and OUR COUNTRY! Thank YOU 

We are hoping that what we have learned on this forum (having a stockpile of food, water and medicines) along with social distancing, using aseptic technique and some general common sense will help us survive the future, whatever it holds. I want to thank everyone who has so generously provided information for us to achieve that goal.
Welcome to the board Entropy, we will look forward to your posts. I am sure that as a member of the medical community your posts will be invaluable. Jo
ENTROPY View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ENTROPY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2006 at 4:23pm
Sorry for all the typographical errors!  I was always fortunate to have a typist at my office.  My wife was laughing when she came home and saw all my errors. I really dislike typing. Thank You All.....
EYE in the SKY
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2006 at 4:17pm
Thank you Entropy...ok now that sounds weird.

Social isolation and social distancing are truly the best we can do along with proper hygiene techniques.

I am glad that you are posting. Welcome!
ENTROPY View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ENTROPY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2006 at 3:48pm
While secondary pneumonia is always a risk in pulmonary illness the fluid that is a reaction to the disease (HPAI) i.e. mucous,blood cellular debris dilutes the surfactant that allowa the alveoli (terminal structures in the lung) to expand. Surfactant is simply the lung agent that allows the alveoli to expand by reducing the surface tension. Thiis is much like soap in water when blowing bubbles. If the alveoli cannot expand the oxygen cannot interface with the micro-blood vessels and enter the bloob stream, nor can carbon dioxide be removed(exhaled). Carbon Dioxide crosses this barrier 20:1 faster than Oxygen. I do not want to demean the possible need for antibiotics in the rare cases that I believe a secondary infection would get a chance to develope. Volume delivery ventlators(respirators-Bennt) will be needed en mass if hospital treatment were to work, not Pressure delivery(bird) type. Also PEEP- Positive End Expiratory Pressure capibility would be essenstial. This merely is a maintained pressure and the endof the respirato cycle to foce the alveoli(lungs ) to stay inflated, to oxygen and carbon dioxide has a chance to cross into the blood. There are so few Volume Respirators available nationwide to handle the expected onslaught of cases. PEEP presure has to bo increased with severity and measured oxyge and carbon dioxide saturation by blood gas analysis(needle drawn-iced and analyzed) in yhe hospital lab. This is all easy for anyone to understand. There are not enough hospital ICU/Resp. beds in this country I love to do this. You folks on this site seem very common sense oriented and I wish more people viwed the site and took heed. The key is to preparre(prep) and self quarantine yourself and family. I believe the USA will be the best prepared nation for reasons that are in place and developing. I am a Board Certified General Surgeo and als Board Certified Plastic and Reconsruction Surgeon. I ran a Burn Center and Trauma trained career. I retired 5 years ago and am 59 now. I have seen so much and had the finest of teachers. It will be the simple things that will protect you and your loved ones and OUR COUNTRY! Thank YOU 
EYE in the SKY
candice View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2006 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by Deej Deej wrote:

albert,    doc says i have to wait... i have a sinus infection.. is that right? having to wait ?  i have been getting sick all winter already, have had 2 sinus infections, bronchitis & walking pneumonia, so i am qualified for a shot.... hooray ! i think my major prep, putting in a wood stove is causing all my recent illnesses.. any suggestions to help--- i am pretty sure the moisture level is good, can't think of anything else thats different in my way of life- except i just hit 40, and maybe i am just going downhill- ha ha

Wear a mask when doing any chore that exposes you to any fine particles.

also put in a humidifier in the nasement to take the moisture out.

A Air cleanner in your bedroom , your most sensitve to bad air when yoiu sleep.
If you cant get in the front door try the side door then the back door.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2006 at 1:59pm
hey, I just want to thank everyone on this thread who gave detailed and precise information about getting a pneumonia shot. My DH  was totally against getting one, very supportive of prepping, feels BF will happen and totally on board, except for this one thing. Even set up an appointment at doctors office and he cancelled at the last minute.  I asked him to set down and read this thread from the beginning and he was about half way done when he stated lets all go get one Monday (today) . So this am, all three of us, including the 11 year old got our pneumonia shot. At first the nurse did not want to give the 11 year old one, but I reminded her that he had pneumonia when he was 6 years old. Thank ya'll again, if not for your detailed information, I NEVER would have been able to talk him into this very important  preventative measure.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 12:20pm
For those wanting antibiotics, try online vet stores, such as this one. http://www.vetamerica.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=242&Page=1

Yes, they are the same as prescription antibiotics you buy at the drug store. But a whole lot cheaper. I keep a good supply onhand at all times.
A friend of mine came by needing some for his wife, whos face was swollen up my an infection of some kind. I gave him some for her and he stopped by walmart (to placate his wife) and asked the pharmacist if they were the same. The Pharmacist said by law he could not say they were the same, but it was a common question he gets all the time. He then told him they all come off the same assembly line, but couldn't say anything after that.
He told him the dosage and to have a nice day.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 6:41am
pf, Good information.

The majority of deaths caused by any influenza are usually a direct result of the weakened patient getting a secondary pneumococcal bacteria infection (i.e. pneumonia).  Most pneumococcal infections are caused by one of 23 different types of pneumococcal bacteria and can be prevented by a Pneumococcal Polysaccharide Vaccine (PPV-23) such as Pneumovax 23 (produced by Merck) and Pnu-Immune 23 (produced by Wyeth-Lederle).  For children and toddlers there is less comprehensive but milder Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine (PCV-7).

The pneumococcal disease kills more people in the United States each year than all other vaccine-preventable diseases combined. The pneumococcal bacteria, which cause most pneumonias, can also spur blood infections such as meningitis.  Many of these bacteria have become antibiotic-resistant, increasing their danger because they are more difficult to treat.  As a result, the CDC and most medical experts advise that elderly and others in the high-risk population get the Pneumococcal Polysaccharide Vaccine.

First introduced in the 1980s, initially it was thought that one shot of the pneumonia vaccine would protect a patient for life but later research indicated that the vaccine did not protect for life and experts now recommend that high-risk patients get booster shots five years after the first vaccination.

Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2006 at 6:53am
Albert, thanks for that info sheet, I printed it out. Maybe if 21 year old DD takes this sheet in with her from the CDC they will decided to give it to her. Her DH is military and the military won't give her the vaccine, says she's not in the right age group, even though she does have asthma.
Penham View Drop Down
Chief Moderator
Chief Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2006 at 6:36am
Concerned Dad, the vaccines they get as infants/toddlers is not the same vaccine, they need the other one also. We got them for DD who is 10 and grandaughter who is 7, they didn't want to at first, but when I talked to them about H5N1, they went ahead and did it. Told us that when they reach adulthood (18) to get it done again.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2006 at 6:09am
Concerned Dad View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Concerned Dad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2006 at 5:52am
Thanks Kr105,
I found a place, A local doc said he would be happy to give it to my kids, wife and I.
I do have one question though, if my kids were already given the PPV shot when they were under 2 years old, is it necessary to do it again now that there 5 and 8? Is there any danger in repeating? Also, I am reading conflicting data on how long its good for, is it 5 or 10 years? If the ladder, both my kids are good.
Thanks
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2006 at 4:26am
Originally posted by mom24kids mom24kids wrote:

i am new to this site and am very impressed with the information and support everyone seems to give here.

question about the pneumonia vaccine.  how long is it effective?

if my family and i got one last year, am i protected?

thanks so much

I was told it lasts at least ten years. and possibly for life.  I had one ten /twelve years ago and was told by a private healthcare clinic that another one was unnecessary for that reason.  I feel fairly safe but I might get another one just in case.  Beth
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2006 at 10:03pm
I apologize if this has been posted before.  If you are having trouble getting the vaccine from your Doctor's office or a clinic, check the local pharmacies.  Laws vary from state to state, but many allow either a pharmacist with speacial training to give vaccines, and many pharmacies will have a nurse show up on certain days to give vaccinations.  This usually occurs just as school starts in the fall.  If you can't get the shot in your state, try the closest state to you.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2006 at 8:42pm
i was surprised and ready for an argument with my pediatrician when i asked to have my four kids vaccinated with the ppv shot. at their recent physicals.    my ped does a lot of work with the cdc in atlanta.  he asked me why the ppv shot and i was honest with him telling him i am concerned about avian flu and he actually thought it was a great idea,
the only thing was they didn't want to vaccinate my youngest,,age 6,, but our 20 yr old, 18 and 17 yr olds they vaccinated right away.
after i look into the situation with the 6 year old,,i will be pushing to get her ppv as well,

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2006 at 4:41pm

ConcernedDad:

Tell your pediatrician that the CDC recommends a PPV at age 11-12.  I'm actually giving it to all the 11+ y/o I see in clinic right now to try to protect them.

K.
tripster View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tripster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2006 at 7:24am
Just got mine at the walk-in clinic in Ontario Canada.  Took all of 3 minutes.  It's free.  Covered by OHIP.  Called PNEUMO 23.  I have the manufactures insert slip if any one wants a scan. 
Concerned Dad View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Concerned Dad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2006 at 6:56am
    I called my children's pediatrician today and he does not give this shot to children over 2 years of age. He recommended I go to our local health clinic if I insist on getting it for my kids.
TrishaA View Drop Down
Adviser Group
Adviser Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TrishaA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 8:49pm
My husband and I both got a pneumonia vaccine last week. Now I'm worried though because I didn't know to ask for a particular one. I hope that we received the right one. 
looking for blue skies in a dust storm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 8:25pm
(no chicken hearted Anharra has not been brave enough to get the shot, yet)

this is a good point corn...

"another reason pneumonia is allowed to develope in a sick person is because they imobilize (lay flat alot)"

My baby doc told me..showed me how to make sure my kids didn't get
lung infect.  cup the hand and firmly but gently pat the front and back on both sides.  Never one infection. 

My Mom uses a swedish massage vib. that you put your hand through and
run it around the back and chest, it really breaks up the mucus.

It's a small thing, basic, but it works, so remember it.

Wulfgang View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wulfgang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 7:36pm
Everyone;

I think it is wonderful that you all are getting motivated to get the pneumococcal vaccine shot. I got mine approximately 6 months ago, from a walk-in type clinic.

It took me a while to read all 200+ posts, but I believe KillerFlu.net is 100% right on the money with his/her comments and supporting rationale. This is consistent with the opinions of the scientists and doctors whom I associate with while working on a federal agency emergency pandemic planning committee. It should tell you something when I say that the majority of these experts got the pneumococcal shot themselves.

I believe I read a while ago that the state of Alaska is even making preparations to vaccinate all of its residents with the pneumococcal shot - this is part of their emergency preparedness plan. To my knowledge, I think they are the only state thusfar planning to offer these vaccinations to their entire population.

Good going everybody.
Wulfgang
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 4:46pm
We got the shot for Great Grandmother who is 91 and lives with us.  I'm planning to use her as the reason to get the shots for the children ... so they won't bring home the germs to GG.  Hopefully at 47 I won't have a problem getting it.

Thanks for this thread.Smile
Hotair View Drop Down
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 2:58pm
I got mine a couple of months ago. I haven't approached Kaiser about my kids, though. I think that they will give me a hard time. I will just have to go to a clinic and go out of pocket.
Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 11:38am
Thanks Wendy.  I will take a look. 

Albert View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 11:37am
ops, when you get it done, come back to this thread and post a message  confirming it, if you would.  Smile  

This thread is an old favorite of mine.  Lets get the list going again..  Every time you get the vax, let's post it on this thread.  

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 10:56am
thanks ,

i have two kids with compramised imune systems
they will be getting it also
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic